Cardinals Free Agent Targets

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
1. You wont be paying him 11 Mill a year. That is his franchise tag amount not what it will cost to sign him to a long term contract.

2. He does not lead the league in false starts, completely false and thats a fact.
3. Who are you going to replace him with. The horrible Mike Gandy, or the horrible Marc Columbo, the only 2 FA OT's even worth mentioning. Or are you going to replace him and take the chance that Joe Thomas will be there @ #5.

For the poeple that want to get rid of him, then give me a backup plan of something that is just as good as Davis or better, and hoping a rookie OT is still there when we pick isnt a backup plan, its wishful thinking.

I totally agree with ya about LD joe. I am wondering what is the root of the problem with false starts kinda in general? Is it lack of talent and ability? Lack of coaching? Lack of focus? Can it be minimized or virtually eliminated by good coaching?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I totally agree with ya about LD joe. I am wondering what is the root of the problem with false starts kinda in general? Is it lack of talent and ability? Lack of coaching? Lack of focus? Can it be minimized or virtually eliminated by good coaching?

I think its lack of accountability. Under Green some guys were held acountable and others werent. Which is the reason the whole team has a ton of penalties, not just Davis.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Because we have nothing and no one to replace or step in for Leonard Davis should he leave without compensation. Remember when we let David Boston and Simeon Rice leave without compensation? We had to draft at that position multiple times in order to try and replace them.

When you're a team that's won 16 games in the last three seasons, you don't rip gaping wounds in your roster if you can help it. Letting Leonard Davis leave would probably be a worse mistake than the Trade Down and the Thomas Jones trade combined.

GASP!!! CHOKE!!! COUGH!!!!

I agree with K9 in regards to putting the tag on LD.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
2. He does not lead the league in false starts, completely false and thats a fact.

Some people can't seperate the Davis of '05 from the Davis of '06. But hey lets throw out ridiculous statements...

Why would anyone want Leonard Davis back when he clearly is the stinkiest OT in the league?

We don't need Leonard Davis back because Oliver Ross is better than him anyway!

blah blah blah....

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the umpteenth time, I'm with Zeno, K9 and others -- we need to re-sign Leonard Davis, regardless of cost and keep him at LT.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the umpteenth time, I'm with Zeno, K9 and others -- we need to re-sign Leonard Davis, regardless of cost and keep him at LT.

Skkorp, I'm right with you on that one. But, I think it'll take an intense pitch from Whisenhunt to sell Graves on him. I think Graves is fully prepared to let him walk.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
I still think Bigs false starts are due to a hearing problem. With Lienart as QB he didn't have very many false starts, but when Warner played, he false started again.

I think Lienart speaks louder and clearer for the snap count than Warner.

Get Big a hearing aide.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ok Joe,

Who did led the league in false starts and how many did LD have?

Leonard Davis had 9 false starts (down from 12 last season) and 8 sacks allowed (a career high).

Walter Jones had only 2 false starts, but a stunning 10.5 sacks allowed.
Mike Gandy of the Buffalo Bills had only 2 false starts, but allowed 12.5 sacks.
Robert Gallery had 4 false starts and 10.5 sacks in only 10 games.
D'Brickashaw Ferguson only had 1 false start penalty, but he allowed 10 sacks in his rookie season (just something for y'all to think about when you consider Joe Thomas for next year).
Marvel Smith had 1 false start, but 10 sacks allowed.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
If we don't franchise Davis at least at first, I will take back anything and everything I've said about positive progress for this franchise. Unless we extended him already, of course ;)

This is crazy talk - I don't understand this infatuation with Davis....Have you been watching the games????

This is my number one point in my off-season plan:

Let Leonard Davis leave - My first move is letting BIG walk. I know there is quite a bit of push to keep Leonard Davis as he is our best offensive lineman and he was the number two pick. I look at it this way – BIG is our last link to the Mac error… err era. He is the perennial underachieving over paid waste of a Cardinal. He is really a big kid (no pun intended) and IMO doesn’t take football all that seriously. I watched a few games this year and all I saw was the back of his jersey as someone went past. He is a physical marvel but doesn’t have the concentration to be a consistent stellar player. Think about all the false starts he had in a CONTRACT YEAR. What do you think he is going to do once he gets paid? Everyone wants to move him to guard but why pay all that money when it seems we have the answers in both Latui and Brown? I just don’t get it – I would rather sign a guy at half his price and who actually cares….

The franchise IS moving in the right direction. I think BIG has had enough time to prove wether he is part of the solution or not.....

And by the way - for anyone has not been reading between the lines this past season. Davis will be gone. The team and its front office has conceded as much with their going about trying to resign him. Just understand they have seen things we havn't and its time to scrap the number 2 pick.....

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
This is crazy talk - I don't understand this infatuation with Davis....Have you been watching the games????

This is my number one point in my off-season plan:

Let Leonard Davis leave - My first move is letting BIG walk. I know there is quite a bit of push to keep Leonard Davis as he is our best offensive lineman and he was the number two pick. I look at it this way – BIG is our last link to the Mac error… err era. He is the perennial underachieving over paid waste of a Cardinal. He is really a big kid (no pun intended) and IMO doesn’t take football all that seriously. I watched a few games this year and all I saw was the back of his jersey as someone went past. He is a physical marvel but doesn’t have the concentration to be a consistent stellar player. Think about all the false starts he had in a CONTRACT YEAR. What do you think he is going to do once he gets paid? Everyone wants to move him to guard but why pay all that money when it seems we have the answers in both Latui and Brown? I just don’t get it – I would rather sign a guy at half his price and who actually cares….

The franchise IS moving in the right direction. I think BIG has had enough time to prove wether he is part of the solution or not.....

And by the way - for anyone has not been reading between the lines this past season. Davis will be gone. The team and its front office has conceded as much with their going about trying to resign him. Just understand they have seen things we havn't and its time to scrap the number 2 pick.....

Okay, well, our line finally played well at the end of the season. Oh yeah, and who are you replacing him with as the STARTING LT?

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
BIG is our last link to the Mac error

Adrian Wilson, Anquan Boldin,Bryant Johnson, Calvin Pace, Gerald Hayes, and Reggie Wells were all drafted while McGinnis was HC.

What I don't understand is why people think Wells is better than LDavis. Is it simply because Reggie was drafted in the 6th round and makes less money?
Because it doesn't show on the football field.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Ok Joe,

Who did led the league in false starts and how many did LD have?

Dont feel like looking up all of them but I know for a fact that Alex Barron had double digit false starts (13) as did other OL not named Davis. Davis had 9. Heck there are even more OL not named Davis that had more total Penalties (including holding) then Davis.

I dont mind people saying he has a lot of false starts but to overexagerate by saying, "he leads the league in false starts", without looking up the facts first to try and make your point I will call out. I dont deny that I think you actually believed that he did lead the lague in false starts as do a lot of other poeple. Just goes to show that what actually happens and what is perceived is 2 different things.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
Dont feel like looking up all of them but I know for a fact that Alex Barron had double digit false starts (13) as did other OL not named Davis. Davis had 9. Heck there are even more OL not named Davis that had more total Penalties (including holding) then Davis.

I dont mind people saying he has a lot of false starts but to overexagerate by saying, "he leads the league in false starts", without looking up the facts first to try and make your point I will call out. I dont deny that I think you actually believed that he did lead the lague in false starts as do a lot of other poeple. Just goes to show that what actually happens and what is perceived is 2 different things.

joe, I think it is the timing of the false starts. I always know when the Cards have a 3rd and short play or are in the red zone, it seemed LD would false start or screw up. He just does it at the most inopportune times.

I saw much of the same arguments about the Boston situation when the Cards allowed him to leave. I hate to break up the line but thats a ton of money to someone who doesnt take Cardin al football seriously.

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
joe, I think it is the timing of the false starts. I always know when the Cards have a 3rd and short play or are in the red zone, it seemed LD would false start or screw up. He just does it at the most inopportune times.

I saw much of the same arguments about the Boston situation when the Cards allowed him to leave. I hate to break up the line but thats a ton of money to someone who doesnt take Cardin al football seriously.

What is that? Football in the Middle East?

:D

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I forgot who did it last year, but someone made a chart of when Davis had his false starts, and your first paragraph just wasnt true. Maybe it was BigDavis who did it. Not sure about this year though.

Twist18

Registered
Reaction score
I forgot who did it last year, but someone made a chart of when Davis had his false starts, and your first paragraph just wasnt true. Maybe it was BigDavis who did it. Not sure about this year though.

After watching every Card game over the few years, it sure seemed that way.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Okay, well, our line finally played well at the end of the season. Oh yeah, and who are you replacing him with as the STARTING LT?

Good point and further I believe he was a Pro Bowl alternate last year. We are good enough to let a player like that walk? Hardly and we would regret it big time when we put a rookie there and watch him get beat like a drum. This is not an easy position by any means.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

That was me. Although Davis did have a couple of false starts that affected drives this season he only had one in '05 and the chart showed that the Cards picked up the first down most of the time following one of LD's false starts. That disproved the notion that he was a "drive killer".

Contrary to popular belief the majority, and this makes perfect sense as they are obvious passing downs, were in 2nd or 3rd and long.

The strange thing is that now LEONARD Pope seems to be moving early a lot. Must have something to do with the name.

EDIT: I might add that 21 false starts over 2 seasons is way out of line no matter when they occur.

Last edited:

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
davis is a drive killer. it is time for him to find a new team. a change of sceenary would do him good. sometimes you can improve your team by addition by subtraction philosphy. i not going to go on and on by who going to replace him. i am for drafting gaines adams and micheal bush this season. the cardinals need to sign shawn o'hara for center and sign kawika mitchell lb from the chiefs. those two would fill some huge needs for the cardinals. i big fanasty free agent i would like to get is charles grant de from the saints.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
davis is a drive killer. it is time for him to find a new team. a change of sceenary would do him good. sometimes you can improve your team by addition by subtraction philosphy. i not going to go on and on by who going to replace him. i am for drafting gaines adams and micheal bush this season. the cardinals need to sign shawn o'hara for center and sign kawika mitchell lb from the chiefs. those two would fill some huge needs for the cardinals. i big fanasty free agent i would like to get is charles grant de from the saints.

Well, I think that's the problem. You can't just decide to let a Pro Bowl alternate leave without having some idea about who is going to step in to the thrid-most important position on the offense. We can't let him leave no matter how many drives he kills and false starts he has unless we have someone who can adequately step into his shoes.

Until that someone is found, we'll have to keep him.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Well, I think that's the problem. You can't just decide to let a Pro Bowl alternate leave without having some idea about who is going to step in to the thrid-most important position on the offense. We can't let him leave no matter how many drives he kills and false starts he has unless we have someone who can adequately step into his shoes.

Until that someone is found, we'll have to keep him.

i don't think it all that hard to find a person to kill drives and have penalities. that is the problem with this franchise. the thinking of who going to replace a player that doesn't perform up to expectation. so let keep a person who can cost a us a game or two a season. i thought that is why everyone was calling for dennis green head. because he didn't perform up to his and everyone expectations. he cost us a few games. it is time to get the right frame of mind when you want to start competting and winning. i won't have an idea who going to replace leonard davis until after the superbowl. there are a few players out there that all they need is a chance to prove themselves.