Cardinals | Green lashes out at Leinart

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:23:18 -0700

During his press conference Monday, Aug. 14, Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green revealed his frustrations over QB Matt Leinart still not under contract and at camp. "When you put $14 million on the table for the 10th pick in the draft, that is a lot more than anyone you've ever heard of for the 10th pick in the draft," Green said. "I think we have been more than generous." Green proceeded to cut the press conference short and left the podium.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imaCafan said:

During his press conference Monday, Aug. 14, Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green revealed his frustrations over QB Matt Leinart still not under contract and at camp. "When you put $14 million on the table for the 10th pick in the draft, that is a lot more than anyone you've ever heard of for the 10th pick in the draft," Green said. "I think we have been more than generous." Green proceeded to cut the press conference short and left the podium.

Wow, I think that makes it pretty clear what Denny thinks about it.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
imaCafan said:

:shock:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Green's patience with Leinart wearing thin
Cards coach says offer is more than fair

Doug Haller
The Arizona Republic
Aug. 14, 2006

advertisement

For most of training camp, Cardinals coach Dennis Green stayed clear of Matt Leinart’s contract negotiations. He wanted the team’s prized first-round pick to get a strong deal.

That changed today.

After an intense morning practice, Green fumed about Leinart’s absence, saying the Cardinals offered a contract that includes $14 million guaranteed last Monday.

“I’ve said something real simple,’’ Green said. “For Larry Fitzgerald and the third pick, for Antrel Rolle and the eighth pick, we’ve made some outstanding offers in the past. The offer we got on the table right now, it’s an outstanding contract. … When you put $14 million on the table for the 10th pick of the draft, that is a lot more than anybody you’ve ever heard of as the 10th pick.”

Green said the contract’s total value is similar to the contracts received by those taken with the first five picks.

“I look forward to going to New England (on Saturday,)’’ he said. “ I look forward to Kurt Warner going on the field and looking across at Tom Brady, who was not the 10th pick of the draft. … It will be a shame if Matt Leinart is still sitting there as the only (drafted) player who is not in the National Football League.”

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Now we know some facts. If it's 14 mill guaranteed, it's more than enough and he needs to get his a$$ in camp

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Day 11
Green addresses Leinart's absence

Coach Dennis Green expressed frustration today about Matt Leinart's absence. He laid out some details of the ongoing contract negotiation.

He suggested there should be results, saying,, "when you put $14 million dollars on the table for the tenth pick in the Draft. That is a lot more than you've ever heard of at the tenth pick in the Draft."

He addressed rumors that the Cardinals organization was not willing to guarantee a high enough amount, saying, "It's a $14 million dollars guarantee, so all this stuff about 'the Cardinals won't guarantee' (is not accurate)."

He continued to emphasize Leinart's placement in the Draft and gave hints on the total of the contract, saying it, "is in the top five. (Leinart is) getting top five (in Draft placement) money at the tenth pick. I think we've been more than generous."

He talked about the reps taken by big players Kurt Warner and Edgerrin James in preseason in preparation for the regular season.

"Matt Leinart has missed all that," Green said.

In response to the how the team played on Saturday, Green said, "There are a lot of improvements we've got to make."

He also addressed Karlos Dansby's toe. He had no additional information, but expressed disappointment.

"You want guys under contract to be able to help," Green said of players like Dansby and Kenny King.

Chike Okeafor did not participate in practice this morning. Green said his knee injury "is nothing serious." Okeafor is expected to practice tomorrow.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Denny woke up early Sunday, turned on ESPN2, saw his old show on New American Sportsman fishing for Bluefish in Maine, and thought "damn I'm sick of this Leinart kid I want to go fishing."

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
weird timing - all i've heard today is optimism that a deal was imminent

either leinart is going to sign today and green wanted to talk tough before the inevitable or green just shot his mouth off at the worse possible time and it may drive leinarts camp back into retreat for a couple days out of pure ego

living in MN during the end of his time with the vikes, it's nice to see that denny is still kind of insane

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
weird timing - all i've heard today is optimism that a deal was imminent

either leinart is going to sign today and green wanted to talk tough before the inevitable or green just shot his mouth off at the worse possible time and it may drive leinarts camp back into retreat for a couple days out of pure ego

living in MN during the end of his time with the vikes, it's nice to see that denny is still kind of insane

He's def shootinig his mouth off and I don't blame him one bit

OP
OP
imaCafan

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Probably getting tired of hearing "same ole' Cards" knowing the situation and $$$$$$$...........

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
devilfan02 said:
He's def shootinig his mouth off and I don't blame him one bit

Nor do I. It is very frustrating that he is not in camp, especially how Navarre played yesterday.

This is frustration and desperation talking at the same time.

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
but why? - if a deal is about to get done, just wait until it's done, keep the high road in the press and just work the kid to death in practice a little bit - ride him in private

not sure what lambasting him in the papers does when all signs point to a deal being very close to completion

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
Sounds like...

...Matt just got the coach's boot in his K9.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
but why? - if a deal is about to get done, just wait until it's done, keep the high road in the press and just work the kid to death in practice a little bit - ride him in private

not sure what lambasting him in the papers does when all signs point to a deal being very close to completion

"Signs" have pointed to a deal being close, and then not close for a couple of weeks now. At some point, you have to dig in IMO.

stewdog1

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Good point about Warner and Brady next Saturday. One not drafted and one barely drafted end up being two of the best QBs of this generation.

Redheart

Stack 'em up!
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:

This is Denny's team. He has had enough of Matt and Condom, and frankly, so have I.

Wendell Bryant. Andre Wad$worth.

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
imaCafan said:
Wonder how long it will be before we hear from Lienart's camp.......

The only thing I want to hear from Leinart's camp is "we've accepted the deal and have signed the contract."

OP
OP
imaCafan

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
And, again, in a few weeks we will have all forgotten about all this mess..... :stick: :stick: :stick:

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i agree it is ridiculous and a contentious negotiation period doesn't necessarily mean things can't work out long term (look at the hawks and walter jones..........)

the only way this makes sense though is if things completely fell apart this morning

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05