Cardinals | Green lashes out at Leinart

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
but why? - if a deal is about to get done, just wait until it's done, keep the high road in the press and just work the kid to death in practice a little bit - ride him in private

not sure what lambasting him in the papers does when all signs point to a deal being very close to completion

Maybe he just watched the tape of Navarre's performance and that pissed him off?

I do agree in theory if we're really close, why pop off, but for all we know they may have just spoken to Condon and discovered they're not as close as being reported.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
i agree it is ridiculous and a contentious negotiation period doesn't necessarily mean things can't work out long term (look at the hawks and walter jones..........)

the only way this makes sense though is if things completely fell apart this morning

My thought too. The same thing essentially happened with Rivers, AJ SMith badmouthing his agent, the agent demanding higher than slot because he was traded for Manning. Hopefully Warner will play as well here as Brees did there and we'll be able to work Matt in slowly if and when he finally signs.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
MigratingOsprey said:
but why? - if a deal is about to get done, just wait until it's done, keep the high road in the press and just work the kid to death in practice a little bit - ride him in private

not sure what lambasting him in the papers does when all signs point to a deal being very close to completion

If Green doesn't win this year, he's gone and knows it. He's got a lot of pressure and cracked a bit. I'd be mad if we're throwin that much at a 10 pick too

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The best think Leinart could do right now to endear himself to the coaches and fans (maybe the players, too? I dunno) is fire Condon and tell the new guy to accept the offer on the table, post haste.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
imaCafan said:
And, again, in a few weeks we will have all forgotten about all this mess..... :stick: :stick: :stick:

Why??

He's missing valuable Preseason games. If he can't unseat Navarre then I'm going to scream.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
The best think Leinart could do right now to endear himself to the coaches and fans (maybe the players, too? I dunno) is fire Condon and tell the new guy to accept the offer on the table, post haste.

:notworthy

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:

Someone needs to get Matt and Ben Watson on a conference call.

OP
OP
imaCafan

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
NEZCardsfan said:
Why??

He's missing valuable Preseason games. If he can't unseat Navarre then I'm going to scream.

Just human nature. I was assuming he would, in fact, turn out to be the QBOF we all hope for..........

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
By Denny Green

"It’d be a shame if Matt Leinart is still sitting there as the only guy in the National Football League who is not in the National Football League... on a deal that was on the table a week ago.”

Even more revealing... that he could have/should have accepted this deal, and played in Saturday's game.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reached prior to Green’s statement, Leinart agent Tom Condon said while there had been some talks both Sunday and Monday, not much had been decided in negotiations. Asked if it was philosophical differences, Condon said no.

“It’s not philosophy,” Condon said. “It’s the money and the ability to achieve the money.”

So now if anybody can explain how holding your client out of camp and preseason HELPS him achieve incentives, I'd appreciate it?

:bang:

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dont buy the idea that Matt couldnt fire his agent if he loved the deal on the table. The agent works for the client.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Because $14 million is slightly less annually over six years than what Ernie Sims got and he's not a QB.

Do you honestly think that this contract will not be ripped up and a new one written up before 6 years are up?

I certainly do not.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
I dont buy the idea that Matt couldnt fire his agent if he loved the deal on the table. The agent works for the client.
That's not my point. My point is that the gesture of firing the agent is important--important to the idea that the blame lies with the agent, not the player.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
That's not my point. My point is that the gesture of firing the agent is important--important to the idea that the blame lies with the agent, not the player.

I guess I am confused. So even though Leinart has rejected this deal all along, he should fire his agent and accept the negotiated deal as a PR move?

Are you saying the actual blame truly lies with the agent or the appearance of the blame truly lies with the agent?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
abomb said:
I guess I am confused. So even though Leinart has rejected this deal all along, he should fire his agent and accept the negotiated deal as a PR move?

Are you saying the actual blame truly lies with the agent or the appearance of the blame truly lies with the agent?
I'm saying Leinart SHOULD accept this deal. In addition, he should fire his agent as a gesture.

I'm not saying any of this will happen. I'm not saying that the agent is sitting on Leinart and trying to make him do anything he doesn't want to.

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'm saying Leinart SHOULD accept this deal. In addition, he should fire his agent as a gesture.

I'm not saying any of this will happen. I'm not saying that the agent is sitting on Leinart and trying to make him do anything he doesn't want to.

Gotcha.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
Because $14 million is slightly less annually over six years than what Ernie Sims got and he's not a QB.

But to me you're looking at it wrong. There are 2 elements to the standard rookie contract, the guaranteed money, and the total overall package. Green said the first is 14, and the second is "top 5".

So clearly under both elements, Matt's deal is BETTER than Sims'? I mean the annual average on guaranteed money only matters for cap hit doesn't it?

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Matt fired his first agent for a reason.... Maybe he needs to fire his second agent also....

How deflating this is. He could have been such a huge piece to the puzzle but now he seems like an anchor.

MATT.... GET INTO CAMP!!!! You are recieving bad advice!!!!!

leinart7

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
1) Green is tired of the Cards being blamed on this one.

Their first offer was fair not a lowball offer at all (maybe that was a mistake) around 12.6 (slot + 10% + QB premium) now they have gone up to 14 million. That's more then fair!

I am sure he's sick of the rumors the Cards lowballed him etc.

We know the amount of both Cards offers now!

2) Green wanted Leinart to show he could be #2. That's rapidly falling by the wayside. Even if he comes back he might be #3 at best. With Navarre looking bad Green has to start thinking about getting a #2 QB in here - which he wouldn't if he had Leinart in here since camp learning and repping! Plus that's going to cost us more cap money to sign the new #2 QB!!! Cap money that could have gone to other positions and extensions if Leinart had been in camp and learning and showing he could be #2.

3) I wish we had drafted Cutler he took less so he could go to camp right away!

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good for Coach Green. And, I think he knew what he was going to do before he went into that press conference. The coach is the one who has to play the "heavy" in the situation. He's the one who holds the power over what the player needs ---- playing time. This isn't like Bob Ferguson telling Mark Smith through the media he can work at McDonalds if he didn't like their offer.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05