Cardinals Need Leadership and Direction

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I know, I know. I know already. The Cardinals under 5th year Head Coach Ken Whisenhunt have won two NFC West Championships in the past three years---which had been unprecedented. They won the NFC Championship in 2009---first ever in St. Louis or Arizona---and they were 2:37 away from winning their first ever Super Bowl.

The Cardinals have what is arguably the best football stadium in America. They have sold out the building since the very first game---and the Cardinals' fan base, not just in the state of Arizona---but all across America---has been rapidly growing.

So what is the problem?

The problem is: the Cardinals---in terms of building a perennial power---remain one of the worst focused, most undisciplined and leaderless organizations in professional sports.

But---what about the recent success?

If you take one player away---would any of it have happened?

Would any of it have come even remotely close to happening?

Honestly.

There were good reasons why the Cardinals were called the "worst playoff team in NFL history."

The modified version is that they were the worst playoff team with one of the most brilliant QBs in NFL history.

The truth of the matter is---even though Kurt Warner was surrounded by some impressive talent at certain positions---his team was improperly built and poorly coached---which is why he did the coaching.

If you recall---the coaches and the organization---on several occasions nearly did the unthinkable---they nearly whiffed on Warner---the one player who changed everything.

The organization wanted Matt Leinart to be the QB---and even when a one-armed Warner was making a dazzling case to be the starter to the unprecedented tune of 28 ppg---Leinart remained the clear-cut favorite...

Warner wanted a contract extension that summer---even though Ken Whisenhunt had announced Leinart as the starter---

The Cardinals did not wish to entertain talks of a contract extension with Warner.

Then a year later---after the whole Leinart/Warner QB charade in training camp...and after Warner had the Cardinals within 2:37 of a Super Bowl win---and was now a free agent---the Bidwillean Cardinals---as parsimonious as ever---nearly lost him in free agency---

Had Warner not been such a devoted family man and not wanted to uproot his family---he would have left Arizona just out of indignance...and quite frankly the way the contract negoatiations went and dragged on, he would have been totally justified in doing so.

The reality is the Cardinals did not know how to value the one player who brought Championships to Arizona...

Same as the fact that without Warner this past season---the organization did not know how to value success, by doing everything it could to try to win a third consecutive NFC West Championship---in a year where 8-8 would get the job done.

Instead---the organization placed the priority on saving as much money as it could...and in the process reverted back to being the perennial embarrassment it had been before Warner made his run for the roses.

So---let's take a hard look at many of the reasons why the Cardinals continue to lack direction and leadership:

Putting faith in Matt Leinart---when it was obvious that he was not a fit for the team...skill-wise or leadership-wise.

Being a passing team the past 4 years and not having at least one better than average pass blocking tackle on the roster.

The drafting of T Levi Brown as the #5 pick of the 2007 draft...Brown is a potential mauler in the running game, but a liablity in pass protection---so much so that the Cardinals immediately moved him to RT as a rookie---to save face, the Cardinals will tell you that they did this to protect Matt Leinart's blindside. This is laughable. The swiftest and most talented edge rushing threats in the NFL rush from the QB's left side...regardless of who the QB is.

The thing is---you don't draft right tackles in the top five of the draft---you just don't---and you certainly don't draft tackles who struggle in pass protection in the top 5, let alone the first round unless you plan to run the ball 4 times out of every 5 plays.

Didn't the Cardinals learn this in the Leonard Davis debacle?

To make matters even worse---the Cardinal tackles under Whisenhunt and Grimm are left 98% of the time on islands versus the best pass rushers. Even the system itself doesn't compensate for its glaring weaknesses.

The signing of Alan Faneca and trading of Reggie Wells---fine, if now you are finally going to commit to running the ball---makes a lot of sense---finally---except, no, you remain a passing team---even though you cut the heir apparent to Warner on the eve of the first game in favor of a QB who has struggled his whole career with accuracy issues---and when he predictably fails, you go with two rookies and continue to pass the ball.

Want a bona fide running attack?

Don't you make it a priority to acquire good, strong FBs and TEs?

Not only has the team not had one above average pass protecting tackle in the last 4 years, it's FB and TE play have been flat-out awful...pitiful really. And when you don't make aggressive moves to sign or draft at those positions, what does it tell you about the true direction of the coach running it?

Why instead do you continue to use draft picks on WRs year after year---using third rounders for it twice in the last three years at that---when you don't have a bona fide TE or FB or pass protecting tackle?

The answer is simple---you want to spread the field and pass the ball.

Direction and leadership on defense?

This unit has been so poorly built and coached the past four years---it's no wonder they give up 45 points on a regular basis.

First of all...is this unit being built to be a legitimate 34 defense?

If so, why then in the last 4 years---just as there has not been one good pass protecting tackle---there has not been one consistently effective nose tackle?

The 34 defense begins at the nose tackle position.

The NT player you waste a 4th round draft pick on in Whiz's first draft to trade up for in the 2nd round not only has light bulb issues his first three years, he tells you that he doesn't like playing NT.

Then you sign an aging vet who would not start for any other team in the NFL or possiby even the CFL and he stays your starter for 3 whole years...even after you draft a NT in the first round this past year.

OK---so that's a start---you draft the big NT you need---so then you trade up to draft the WILB you need because Karlos Dansby doesn't want to play for you---you couldn't get a deal done with him so you f-tag him to the tune of $20M the past two years---and get this---you play another aging vet at WILB and---when you play the rookie---you put him at SILB, a position he is not built for.

The best thing about missing out on Steelers' LB coach Keith Butler was that at least Butler provided the Cardinal staff (prior to Horton's signing) with a blueprint for what kind of players you need at OLB in order to make the 34 dynamic. He said you need players who can bull rush and be quick enough to beat the tackles off the edge.

The reality is, the Cardinals have been playing the 34 defense the past 4 years and have not had one bona fide pass rushing OLB.

When the Cardinals pass rush was shut down in the Super Bowl like a summer lemonade stand in the pouring rain---the Cardinals' answer was to sign NO free agent pass rushers---then, even worse, it was to draft a RB (a player who three years later still does not start for you), and not a pass rusher in the first round---and reach for an OLB in the late portion of Round 2 who never plays a single down for you and is now on the Jets' practice squad.

Funny...the last good edge rusher you had is also on the Jets because you didn't want to pay him.

Ray Horton comes in and immediately sets the criteria for his DBs as being "little guys who hit." Good stuff...well, the Cardinals have the fastest CB in the NFL, but he doesn't want to hit...and that being the case, he could be the next talented first rounder to hit the road.

First Round Draft Picks

The Cardinals draft talented players...and they draft for need...but what about character and leadership? And what about the player being the right fit in the system at the position they draft him for?

Matt Leinart?

Antrel Rolle? Took three years of constant struggles at CB to finally kick him inside at S....and you sign him to a ridiculous contract that eventually causes you to have to release him...and you get nothing back for him.

Levi Brown? Solid guy---but not the kind of leader you want from a #5 pick---mostly because he doesn't produce at the level you are paying him for.

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie? Leader? lol ---maybe of space cadets.

Beanie Wells? Scouts thought his upright running style would create problems for him in the NFL---and thus far they were right, for when he can't stiff arm you, you can get a clean shot at the ball because he does not protect it with his pad level.

Dan Williams? Have you ever seen a DT so out of breath all the time? What is up with that? He was supposed to be a top 12 pick...makes you wonder what other teams surmised about him.

All of the players flash significant talent...but what kind of leadership and character do they bring to the football team?

Are they part of the solution? Or part of the problem?

Coaching Responsibilities, Titles, Roles and Staffing

Russ Grimm: Assistant Head Coach? Why is he watching Springsteen during the most important half-time in Cardinal history? Why does he stand almost always alone at the back end of the bench area during games? Why have his o-line units struggled so much in his 4 years here?

Offensive Coordinator of the Running Game? As well?

Mike Miller: Newly appopinted Offensive Coordinator after being the Passing Game Coordinator. What is his experience and what are his credentials? Has he ever called plays---other than the few Whiz gave him last year? But then again---Whiz hasn't decided whether Miller will call plays or not---but Miller is the new OC. Confusing? If it's confusing to any of us, imagine how confusing it is to the players.

The best hope is that whatever veteran QB the Cardinals sign will do what Warner did: take over the offense.

Ray Horton: Newly appointed Defensive Coordinator. Has never called defenses in an NFL game---BUT---he is a true 34 coach---and he commands respect....which is why he is a Ray of Hope....especially if the Cardinals listen to him in the draft rooms and start drafting the right kind of fits....and the right kind of leaders.

The two coaches who deserve the most kudos for what they do are Kevin Spencer and John Lott. Spencer's STs are extremely well organized, well drilled and well prepared. This guy is head coaching material.

John Lott is the best motivator on the staff. He relates well to the players and knows how to push them to make them stronger, both mentally and physically...but...how happy is he in Arizona? Has he been rightfully valued and compensated within the organization? Something tells me that this has not been the case at all...further reason why the good ones want to bolt from Arizona the first chance they get...that is...unless they are family men who do not want to uproot their families.

Thus...it is about time the Cardinals' coaching staff and the front office start to commit themselves to building a passing offense by signing and drafting good pass protectors---one has to admire, for example, Mike Shanahan's commitment to drafting the kind of atheltic o-linemen that fit his system.

Adding a pass threat at TE and a run and catch threat at RB would help as well. So would re-signing that kid #11. And while you're at it, #15 aint so bad either.

And the Cardinals have to now commit themselves as an organization to building their 34 defense.

In the process...this team needs leaders---guys who show up every day and play hard every game. Guys who fit into the positions they are drafted to play...especially the players you draft high and early and pay the big bucks to.

The organization itself has to finally consider hiring a football savvy GM who can aid and abet the direction in which the football team needs to go...someone too who can close the deal with the team's best players...someone who would make Arizona the place to be in the NFL.

Last edited:

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The main point is the last sentence. Bring in a football GM and allow him to run the franchise the right way. Other than being a nice guy, name one redeeming quality as a GM, that Rod Graves brings to the table. It's reported he doesn't look at film, he has no eye for football talent, he doesn't use FA very well, he's rarely re-signs his own player if they hit the open market, he lets other teams set the market. Let's face it, the guy does nothing as a GM.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The organization itself has to finally consider hiring a football savvy GM who can aid and abet the direction in which the football team needs to go...someone too who can close the deal with the team's best players...someone who would make Arizona the place to be in the NFL.
+1

This right here is the key to what we need. Wonder what a guy like Pioli would have done to help us?

I also agree that we have not been well coached in areas over the years. Very poor Oline play, poor tackling, Dmen out of position, lack of effort due to being poorly prepared and not making adjustments.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
+1

This right here is the key to what we need. Wonder what a guy like Pioli would have done to help us?

I also agree that we have not been well coached in areas over the years. Very poor Oline play, poor tackling, Dmen out of position, lack of effort due to being poorly prepared and not making adjustments.

+2

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The main point is the last sentence. Bring in a football GM and allow him to run the franchise the right way. Other than being a nice guy, name one redeeming quality as a GM, that Rod Graves brings to the table. It's reported he doesn't look at film, he has no eye for football talent, he doesn't use FA very well, he's rarely re-signs his own player if they hit the open market, he lets other teams set the market. Let's face it, the guy does nothing as a GM.

Reported by whom?

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Very good rant Mitch. When your right your right. Until our defense aquires two top pass rushing outside linebackers the defense is doomed to fail. We haven't done squat to have a strong O-line or get the linebackers we need. For the last four years we have needed passrushers and haven't gotten a single one. Our problem this year is we can only fix one of those with the draft. I agree Whiz has been terrible when it comes to bringing in coaches. We had the chance to bring in two top coaches to run the offense and defense and we did nothing. As you said we promoted a guy that has done nothing and brought in another who has never called a play his whole career. Yet there will be many that say In Whiz we trust, he must know what he is doing. The next thing we will probably here is how DA deserves another year to start because he only started one year for us and he needs a second chance.

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Very good rant Mitch. When your right your right. Until our defense aquires two top pass rushing outside linebackers the defense is doomed to fail. We haven't done squat to have a strong O-line or get the linebackers we need. For the last four years we have needed passrushers and haven't gotten a single one. Our problem this year is we can only fix one of those with the draft. I agree Whiz has been terrible when it comes to bringing in coaches. We had the chance to bring in two top coaches to run the offense and defense and we did nothing. As you said we promoted a guy that has done nothing and brought in another who has never called a play his whole career. Yet there will be many that say In Whiz we trust, he must know what he is doing. The next thing we will probably here is how DA deserves another year to start because he only started one year for us and he needs a second chance.

Examples?

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
John Lott is the best motivator on the staff. He relates well to the players and knows how to push them to make them stronger, both mentally and physically...but...how happy is he in Arizona? Has he been rightfully valued and compensated within the organization? Something tells me that this has not been the case at all...further reason why the good ones want to bolt from Arizona the first chance they get...that is...unless they are family men who do not want to uproot their families.

Mitch, as mush as you follow the Cards I can't believe you don't know that we outbid Snyder to retain Lott. This happened just last year so your "something tells me" radar is busted once again.

I hope they contact you for writing the script for Warners movie. Not only are you very talented and creative but no one on this planet has Warner on as big a pedestal as you do.

Levi Brown was a miss, Cody Brown was a whiff. Branch, as with many DT's, took awhile to "get it". I don't think any of us know that he told the coaches he doesn't want to play NT. Broken radar again?

I do agree that mistakes have been made and THELEENART was a huge miss. I don't agree that Warner forced himseld on Whiz. My radar tells me Whiz always wanted KW to start but he had to deal with FO pressure about ML. That's why he found a way to get KW on the field with the hurry up offense package. That's why he let the competition play out and then named KW the starter.

I would prefer a true GM who has an eye for talent and like you doubt RG is that man.

The next two years will decide how much Whiz gets credit or blame for his time here as a HC. Getting to the SB is not possible unless you get some luck and have a good team. There is simply too much talent and competition in the NFL to have one player take a team on his back to the SB.

bg7brd

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch, as mush as you follow the Cards I can't believe you don't know that we outbid Snyder to retain Lott. This happened just last year so your "something tells me" radar is busted once again.

I hope they contact you for writing the script for Warners movie. Not only are you very talented and creative but no one on this planet has Warner on as big a pedestal as you do.

Levi Brown was a miss, Cody Brown was a whiff. Branch, as with many DT's, took awhile to "get it". I don't think any of us know that he told the coaches he doesn't want to play NT. Broken radar again?

I do agree that mistakes have been made and THELEENART was a huge miss. I don't agree that Warner forced himseld on Whiz. My radar tells me Whiz always wanted KW to start but he had to deal with FO pressure about ML. That's why he found a way to get KW on the field with the hurry up offense package. That's why he let the competition play out and then named KW the starter.

I would prefer a true GM who has an eye for talent and like you doubt RG is that man.

The next two years will decide how much Whiz gets credit or blame for his time here as a HC. Getting to the SB is not possible unless you get some luck and have a good team. There is simply too much talent and competition in the NFL to have one player take a team on his back to the SB.

I agree completely. Excellent post.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score

But there is also another factor involved in that...and we all know what that is...Bill Bidwill!!! Are they the "same old cardinals"? Times have certainly changed somewhat, but to think the old man still doesn't make some of the same bad decisions he has for years, is naive. I still think extending Graves was a bad move, but IMO things will never truely change until Bowtie has passed...sad but true. Let's hope Michael's genetics doesn't keep him from changing the Cards 100% in what he believes makes a winner, not what he has learned that promotes losing.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
But there is also another factor involved in that...and we all know what that is...Bill Bidwill!!! Are they the "same old cardinals"? Times have certainly changed somewhat, but to think the old man still doesn't make some of the same bad decisions he has for years, is naive. I still think extending Graves was a bad move, but IMO things will never truely change until Bowtie has passed...sad but true. Let's hope Michael's genetics doesn't keep him from changing the Cards 100% in what he believes makes a winner, not what he has learned that promotes losing.

This is how I feel about what has played out in recent years.

I don't have any concerns about Michael knowing what it takes to win in the NFL. He has taken a path completely different then his dad to get where he is today. He is the one that got the stadium built. Does anyone think that Whiz gets the contract he just did without Michael pushing for it?

Demsmyboys has hit the nail on the head (IMHO) in regards to Bill Sr and why he is the way he is. It's not a genetic thing as much as a generational situation (great depression) that impacts Bill Sr's thought process when it comes to money.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
Examples?

With all the coaching movement this off-season I'll try to remember as many as I can. I personally think we could have had just about any of them except for the ones that became head coaches. Wade Phillips is the first that comes to mind. If we would have offered him a million more than Houston we would have him right now. Josh McDaniels could have been brought in as OC. Mike Singletary could have been brought in to be the linebackers coach or DC. I would prefer him as a linebacker coach. Bill Musgrave as OC. Yea we would have had to pay Rob Ryan a small fortune to come here but he was out there to. Greg Manusky and Eric Mangini were both out there to pick up. Dick Jauron as DC. I know guys like John Fox took head coaching positions, but there were alot of experienced OC's and DC's to pick from. As they say money talks and B.S. walks.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I don't think its coaching, money, or personnel decisions. It's Phoenix. I've talked many times over the years about how there is no penalty for failure in Arizona. No pressure to win. ASFN is full of die hard fans yet many that post here are always ready and willing to come up with excuses for the teams poor play and chant that woeful lament "Wait'll next year".

The Media in Arizona is extremely tame when compared to other cities like NY, Philadelphia, or even Dallas.

The players feel this and play soft. That is why the Cards are almost always far better on Offense than Defense and have been for years.

I think that it was the reason Boldin seemed so disgruntled during games.

What the Cards need more than a QB or a Rush OLB is their own Ray Lewis.

I had hoped that Joey Porter might be the guy but apparently not. I think Wilson can't do it because he has been in the culture too long. Dockett? I think he is too off the wall for the players to listen to.

So if there is FA this year the Cards need to sign the meanest, toughest Defensive veteran under 30 they can find. Regardless of position.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If you take one player away---would any of it have happened?

Would any of it have come even remotely close to happening?

Honestly.

This can be said for nearly every championship team in the history of sports (except maybe baseball). The fact that Whiz gave the reins to Warner when Matt was the golden child should be a tribute to him, not a criticism.

The guy had a bad year, give him a chance to bounce back and make changes this year. Almost every "elite" coach in the history of the game has had poor years.

Last edited:

Crazy Canuck

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
With all the coaching movement this off-season I'll try to remember as many as I can. I personally think we could have had just about any of them except for the ones that became head coaches. Wade Phillips is the first that comes to mind. If we would have offered him a million more than Houston we would have him right now. Josh McDaniels could have been brought in as OC. Mike Singletary could have been brought in to be the linebackers coach or DC. I would prefer his as a linebacker coach. Bill Musgrave as OC. Yea we would have had to pay Rob Ryan a small fortune to come here but he was out there to. Greg Manusky and Eric Mangini were both out there to pick up. Dick Jauron as DC. I know guys like John Fox took head coaching positions, but there were alot of experienced OC's and DC's to pick from. As they say money talks and B.S. walks.

You're right it was quite simple. Offer Phillips a million more than Houston :lmao:; start anew by trashing Whiz's playbook for McDaniel's or Musgrave's; hire Coach "pants on the ground, etc. etc. The family background may have precluded Ryan coming to AZ; Mangini and Jauron are primarily 4-3 coordinators... and finally, Manusky was interviewed.

I may be a wrong, but I think DC's and OC's are made not born. And given their previous experience, there is no reason at this point to seriously question the choices Whiz has made.

Last edited:

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You're right it was quite simple. Offer Phillips a million more than Houston :lmao:; start anew by trashing Whiz's playbook for McDaniel's or Musgrave's; hire Coach "pants on the ground, etc. etc. The family background may have precluded Ryan coming to AZ; Mangini and Jauron are primarily 4-3 coordinators... and finally, Manusky was interviewed.

I may be a wrong, but I think DC's and OC's are made not born. And given their previous experience, there is no reason at this point to seriously question the choices Whiz has made.

Good stuff.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score

Wow:bang: Ok, so you like all of Whiz's choices so far. You would rather have guys that have either never called a play in their lives or have very little experience period. We are far apart on this one. Look what getting some experienced coordinators did for KC. They went from laughing stock to good team in one year. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
This blows me away. The guy helps the Cardinals have 3 of the best seasons in franchise history, and instead of appreciate it, we find a way to have a 10,000 word diatribe on how worthless he is. It's embarrassing. We find a way to give him zero credit. It's especially funny that it's the same people who captained the "In Whiz I Trust!" ship just a year ago, and one poor season after losing a hall of fame QB, they go back and find excuses for all of the success that we enjoyed. Unbelievable.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Ok, so you like all of Whiz's choices so far. You would rather have guys that have either never called a play in their lives or have very little experience period.

The top 100 play callers of all time, at one point in their life, had never called a play in their life.

Look what getting some experienced coordinators did for KC.

I won't argue this, because that has been my biggest complaint with Whiz so far. But it's about far more than experience. Romeo and Charlie were both incredibly successful coordinators previously. Billy Davis was experienced, he just had experience sucking. I am excited about Horton, and hope he can make a difference.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
This blows me away. The guy helps the Cardinals have 3 of the best seasons in franchise history, and instead of appreciate it, we find a way to have a 10,000 word diatribe on how worthless he is. It's embarrassing. We find a way to give him zero credit. It's especially funny that it's the same people who captained the "In Whiz I Trust!" ship just a year ago, and one poor season after losing a hall of fame QB, they go back and find excuses for all of the success that we enjoyed. Unbelievable.
what he said.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

8-8, 9-7,10-6 = three of the best seasons in franchise history, what a sad commentary.

But they were a darn site better than the usual 5-11.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
8-8, 9-7,10-6 = three of the best seasons in franchise history, what a sad commentary.

But they were a darn site better than the usual 5-11.

It is sad, but it's true. The 9-7 obviously isn't the impressive part of the season.

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score

I am so glad you brought up Lott's situation---because Lott's situation just furthers my case---

Last January when the assistant coaches contracts were up John Lott was so dis-spirited by the Cardinals' offer that he went and hired an agent.

Just like with Kurt Warner it wasn't until another team got involved and expressed interest in Lott, that the Cardinals upped their offer to him.

A Dan Bickley article on Lott's importance and Whiz's urging the FO helped as well.

The point is...when you are lowballed by your company...how does that make you feel?

It makes you feel taken advantage of...it makes you feel undervalued...it makes you feel demoralized.

This is EXACTLY why the Cardinals are a third world organization.

It wasn't until the 49ers (of all teams) rolled out the red carpet for Kurt Warner that the Cardinals upped the ante for him.

It's a passive resistive and parsimonious approach to business...and this, more than any other thing, has prompted the general disgruntledness among Cardinal employees.

It would have been another thing altogether if the Cardinals had come to Lott and said, hey we value the job you are doing so much we would like to pay you more than what any other S&C Coach earns, because you've earned it.

Instead they nickle and dime him.

But as we saw with Warner...that kind of treatment sticks with you. Even though you wound up with a contract that was better than what they offered, you feel exasperated that it had to occur in the manner in which it did.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05