Cardinals to play 49ers in Mexico, Oct. 2nd 2005

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I have no vested interest one way or the other, since I live in NJ. I can see both pluses and minuses to playing a home game in Mexico City.

And I agree that we are being cheated out of a home game within the context of a team that had a much better home record than road record last year. (Why start out with a regular season game, anyway? Why not play a preseason game south of the border first to get fans used to the idea and to learn how to best do it right)?

The way this story is breaking sure has the aroma of a trial balloon being floated by the League and the Cardinals.

So my suggestion is - if you really hate this idea - or conversely think this is really neat - let the Bidwills know (& keep your cards and letters flowing)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I have no vested interest one way or the other, since I live in NJ. I can see both pluses and minuses to playing a home game in Mexico City.

And I agree that we are being cheated out of a home game within the context of a team that had a much better home record than road record last year. (Why start out with a regular season game, anyway? Why not play a preseason game south of the border first to get fans used to the idea and to learn how to best do it right)?

The way this story is breaking sure has the aroma of a trial balloon being floated by the League and the Cardinals.

So my suggestion is - if you really hate this idea - or conversely think this is really neat - let the Bidwills know (& keep your cards and letters flowing)

Azteca Stadium has hosted five preseason NFL games, three of which had crowds of more than 104,000 — including 112,376 to watch Dallas play Houston in 1994.

The attendance was lower the past two games there — Indianapolis and Pittsburgh in 2000, Dallas and Oakland in 2001 — but still averaged 87,727 fans.

This is not a "trial balloon". The Cards and the league want it.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
I will go against the grain--

While I love going to games, the thought of swapping out an early season home game (Oct 2) for a game that will be on TV doesnt sound all that bad-- those early season games can be brutal.

The Cards were not going to get a Sunday night home game early in the season without going to Mexico.

In the grand scheme of things, giving up an October 2 day game against the Niners for a nationally televised game isnt the end of the world-- I still get to watch the game

seesred

Reaction score
I wonder if we all got together could we get discounts by buying in groups. I'm sure I can swing us some tickets ( I would have to find out costs). But it would be a fun home game road trip. How many of you would be interested?

GBR

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
I have no problem with this game in Mexico. After all, it is the NFL, we are part of the NFL, and if there was one team that would make the most sense to play a home game there, it's us.

We have benefitted in the form of ridiculously low ticket prices for NFL games FOR YEARS. It's time for us to pay back the rest of the league for our pathetic stadium situation.

My group has already begun plans for the big air conditioned party we're going to have for the nationally broadcast game.

Now the Cardinals should be spending the revenue windfall that comes from a sold out 100,000 seat stadium in Mexico on Edgerrin James ...

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:
Now the Cardinals should be spending the revenue windfall that comes from a sold out 100,000 seat stadium in Mexico on Edgerrin James ...

:thumbup: :stupid:

seesred

Reaction score
On the road to Mexico

I want to go to the game in Mexico city. I think it would be great fun. How many of you think you might like to come as well? It could be great fun, plent of good Mexican Tequila and beer.

GBR

bratwurst

on double secret probation
Reaction score
Did a little looking into the stadiums in Mexico City. I assume the game will be played in Estadio Azteca, home of the 1970 and 1986 World Cup. Built in 1966, it has a capacity of over 114,000. That is unless there is a newer stadium I didn't find via google...

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
I feel bad for you season ticket holders. I know if I lived there, I'd be p-o'd. I get so excited come opening day, I can't imagine how pumped up you guys get for that first home game. Home field advantage is obviously a big thing for this team in terms of W-L record. You could see how emotional the players were last year when you guys were screaming you a**** off.

This could really backfire. Winning the first game of the season would be a major boost to belief in what Denny is trying to accomplish. But if we lose to the lowly 49's on a national stage.... ain't gonna be pretty.

The only way we should agree to this is to force everyone in attendance to only root for the Cards.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Syracusecards said:
I feel bad for you season ticket holders. I know if I lived there, I'd be p-o'd. I get so excited come opening day, I can't imagine how pumped up you guys get for that first home game. Home field advantage is obviously a big thing for this team in terms of W-L record. You could see how emotional the players were last year when you guys were screaming you a**** off.

This could really backfire. Winning the first game of the season would be a major boost to belief in what Denny is trying to accomplish. But if we lose to the lowly 49's on a national stage.... ain't gonna be pretty.

The only way we should agree to this is to force everyone in attendance to only root for the Cards.

I believe they are talking about the game being on Oct 2nd. That is like one third of the way into the season. Not opening day.

Scott MS

Registered
Reaction score
MadCardDisease said:
I believe they are talking about the game being on Oct 2nd. That is like one third of the way into the season. Not opening day.

It would be the 2nd "home" game of the season. The same spot where the Cards played the Saints at home this season. It will be hot.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
Just heard on ESPN News that it's a done deal. Sunday night game and will be broadcast nationally on ESPN.

Lenny_Biscuit

Rookie
Reaction score
Just sent this off to the Cards and the NFL.

I can’t believe you are actually thinking about shipping out one of our home games. I have been a season ticket holder for the last three years and had planned on purchasing them again this year. Moving one of our home games to Mexico is just a slap in the face of the 20,000 or so who have supported this team even with the horrendous product you have given us in the past. Now we are starting to get a team together that we can be excited about and you are going to export one of our precious home games. This is not Major League Baseball or the NBA, we have very few home games and each is very important to us. I assume you will still be forcing us to buy preseason games again this year. Now the ratio of regular season home games versus what we are paying for just got worse. I have many friends this year in Tucson who have not been Cardinal fans that are talking about buying season tickets this year for the first time because of your wonderful off-season moves, but my advice to them now will be to wait until next year and just buy a few single game tickets. I sincerely hope that this is only a rumor and will not happen.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scott MS said:
Hey, I'm not in favor of it. I love those hot games...

:cool:

Good to hear. I'm so sick of the heat being used as a negative. It's freaking Arizona...if you can't stand the heat... :doi:

:D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If playing the 49ers in Mexico City instead of Tempe = a loss, THEN

We're going to suck next year. Again.

I can't believe some of you are writing this off as a loss just due to the location of the game.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't buy the BS that they didn't think the season ticket holders would be alienated. How would we not be? If they thought it would go over smoothly with the fans, why didn't they bother to ASK some season ticket holders their opinion of such a move BEFORE they did it? My guess is because WE season ticket holders would have told them that we'd be ticked if they shipped one of our regular season games south of the border. :bang:

This just shows how pathetic and out of touch the Cards management can be, IMO. I'll be writing to them also to let them know how "alienated" I am.

I love the timing. The US government just issued a warning to its citizens to stay away from Mexico (many incidents of violence/kidnapping against visitors, and you might get caught up in a street war between drug lords, etc)...perfect place to put a game. :thumbup:

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

I can't believe some of you are writing this off as a loss just due to the location of the game.

It has nothing to do with it being a loss or a win, it has to do with us seeing our 8 HOME GAMES with our home field advantage. Not 7. Slap in the face.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ajcardfan said:

I'm not writing it off as a loss, unless you mean it's a home game lost.

We'll be the only team that plays 9 road games next season, and recently we've sucked on the road. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Why not make the 2-14 Niners give up a home game? :doi:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
It has nothing to do with it being a loss or a win, it has to do with us seeing our 8 HOME GAMES with our home field advantage. Not 7. Slap in the face.

Exactly.

As a matter of fact, I know plenty of season ticket holders that live in the East Valley that aren't exactly sure how many home games they can make once the team starts playing in Glendale, myself included. Many were looking forward to the last 8 games at SDS. Now they're taking one of those away and trying to spin it like they're doing us a favor?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ever since the team moved here, I've been one of the diehards that's had to support the team while defending my choice to the many naysayers. I've shelled out my money and taken the ridicule that comes with supporting the team, it's what you do when you're a diehard Cards fan.

Moves like this, shipping a game out to Mexico, give me absolutely zero confidence that the team will smoothly handle the transition from SDS to the new stadium. I can see them bungling the location of seats, priority status of season ticket holders, etc. I guess I'm now in with some of the naysayers, I feel like I'm sitting back waiting to see how the team screws up next (off the field). :bang:

What a joke!!

:|