Cards' Bryant arrested: drunken driving

Bobcat

Reaction score
Brian in Mesa said:
There is no excuse for drinking and driving. None.

What a loser.

I'm glad someone called the police and got him off the road before he killed someone else, or even himself.

I totally agree!!! I have lost 2 cousin's due to drunk driviners. They were both passengers, and not Drunk...!!! The families have never been the same. It took years off of both mother and fathers.

Allan

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
vince56 said:
not at .08

This whole thing got me interested as to how much each drink effects a normal person. I got curious and went the www.madd.org site and found out that,

"While there is no "safe" amount of alcohol for drivers, most people can drink moderately and drive legally when the illegal per se limit is set at .08. A 170-pound male typically would have to consume more than four drinks in one hour on an empty stomach to reach a BAC of .08. A 137-pound female typically would have to consume three drinks in the same time frame."

Not sure how to put this into Bryants weight but is is interesting none the less.

Heck I dont even drive after 1 beer unless I wait an hour. Plus me and my buddies since college when ever we would go out our designated driver was treated like a king with all the free food, entertianment, and non alcohlic beverages they could want.

It is really easy to not drink and drive. Just dont understand it. If you dont have the cash to be paying for a taxi if you are drinking then you shouldnt have enough money to be drinking in the first place.

:soapbox:

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
Just dont understand it. If you dont have the cash to be paying for a taxi if you are drinking then you shouldnt have enough money to be drinking in the first place.:soapbox:

Good Point! :thumbup:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Wendell is still a kid. This may be good for him. Don't write him off yet.

We'll soon see what kind of shape he's in when he comes back. I've been wondering which player(s) would get in trouble in July. July is really their only month off anymore. Thet get 2 or 3 weeks here and there between minicamps and off-season programs but from mid-June through usually the third week in July, they get a 5 or 6 week break and that's when they usually get in trouble.

I thought Bryant was the finance major that was real smart? Now he is a kid. Either way I had high hopes for him this year and was really rooting for him. Now he is just another turd in a long line of turds that the cardinals have drafted.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
To me, Bryant now moves from the southern cusp of "promising prospect" to "just one more grunt trying to make the roster."

Morality aside - are these guys really that stupid not to understand what's at stake when they do stuff like that?

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cut our losses now. This wont be the last time this happens. He is wasteing a valueable roster spot!

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
gamebird98 said:
Cut our losses now. This wont be the last time this happens. He is wasteing a valueable roster spot!
Doubt it.. DT is still the weakest spot on the team, so he stays.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
gamebird98 said:
Last time I checked we don't have a lot of DT on our squad.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cardinals’ Bryant arrested for drunken driving

By Darren Urban, Tribune

The disappointing career of Cardinals defensive tackle Wendell Bryant has been hurt again with the revelation he was arrested for drunken driving in late June near his offseason home in Madison, Wis.

Bryant is scheduled to appear in a Wisconsin court Thursday to answer for the charges. Neither he or his agent were able to be reached for comment Saturday. Cardinals officials could not be reached for comment.

Bryant, the Cards’ No. 1 draft pick in 2002, has never earned his way into the starting lineup longterm and has just 1 1/2 sacks in his two seasons. A holdout into the regular season of his first year, Bryant never seemed to get over the way the team negotiated his first contract and has been frustrated with his lack of progress on the field.

Asked after the team’s first offseason practice in March if he felt any additional pressure with new coach Dennis Green, Bryant said, "I’m always under the gun — is there anything (expletive) new around here?"

The comment wasn’t well-received by Green, and Bryant avoided interviews much of the offseason. But he was earning respect for his work on the practice field with defensive line coach Deek Pollard and seemed to make an effort at contrition in an article on the team’s Web site.

"(Deek) told me some real stuff and that I need to grow up and he’s right," Bryant said. "I need to have accountability and I need to do what I was brought here to do for this franchise."

But Bryant still was listed as a second-stringer behind Russell Davis coming out of the offseason work, and this incident won’t help.

According to University of Wisconsin-Madison police, a caller reported a reckless driver around 4:30 a.m. June 27. Police found the car parked near a convenience store, and watched it drive away and run a flashing red light. It was also traveling about 20 miles an hour above the posted 25-mph limit before police pulled it over.

Bryant was issued multiple citations: Operating under the influence, speeding, failing to stop for a flashing red light and operating a vehicle with a prohibited alcohol concentration of .10 percent or more.

The Cardinals have not had a good run of their firstround picks since 1999, not including 2004 choice Larry Fitzgerald. Of the seven other first-rounders in that time, two are no longer with the team (wide receiver David Boston, running back Thomas Jones), one has been benched (tackle L.J. Shelton) and the other four have underachieved to varying degrees (Bryant, tackle Leonard Davis, wide receiver Bryant Johnson and defensive end Calvin Pace). The team is hopeful Davis and Johnson will be improved this season.

http://www.aztrib.com/index.php?sty=24944

Southpaw

Provocateur aka Wallyburger
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy makes a beer run at 4:30 in the morning.

That's a problem looking for a place to happen. At 4:30 in the morning, you have to be either the most sober guy at the party or a guy who ain't ready to call it a night. But then maybe he was just getting fishing supplies for him and the crew. I think we all know who is out at 4:30 in the morning. Drunks, cops and the milkman. :shrug:

MAKTEN

Veteran
Reaction score
If Bryant chased QB's as well as he chased tail in his old college town, then the cards would be a happy team....geez this guy needs to get focused!

gamebird98

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Didnt say we had enough DT's on our team. All I said is that he is not worth keeping. In six months, he will be sitting in a bar with Darrell Russell drinking a beer, cause they both will be suspended. Cut him loose, bring in a player who wants to contribute, not just collect a check. 2 years.....39 Tackles......2 sacks....6 million dollars.

azdad1978 said:
Last time I checked we don't have a lot of DT on our squad.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
gamebird98 said:
Didnt say we had enough DT's on our team. All I said is that he is not worth keeping. In six months, he will be sitting in a bar with Darrell Russell drinking a beer, cause they both will be suspended. Cut him loose, bring in a player who wants to contribute, not just collect a check. 2 years.....39 Tackles......2 sacks....6 million dollars.
Who are we going to bring in at this point in time? btw how can you be sure he will be sitting in a bar with Russell 6 months from now? maybe you can predict the next powerball for all of us while you are at it. :rolleyes:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Morality aside - are these guys really that stupid not to understand what's at stake when they do stuff like that?

Yes.

Case in point: Leonard Little. He drove drunk, killed a woman (who was a wife and a mother), got a legal slap on the wrist, 4 game NFL suspension...and a few years later...busted again for DUI. :bang:

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X-29Fan said:
Heck, they can afford limos.....

And sometimes...when they're really drunk...they even shoot their limo drivers...ala Jayson Williams. :rolleyes:

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And sometimes, like Eric Hill, they grow up and straighten out.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:

Jim-

You've got to admit - Bryant deserves to get ripped for his reckless and potentially lethal behavior just as Hill got ripped for the stupid things he did back in the day.

Sure, I hope the guy straightens out his life, but I'm not going to pat him on the back for getting a dui simply because "he's young"...or because "it's the off-season."

:shrug:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me this is a case of "becareful what you wish for." We were all dying for news, now we've got it. :(

AzCards06

Rookie
Reaction score
Perhaps this will force Wendell to grow up.

Why in the heck does he still live near campus, in Madison Wisconsin, years after he received millions to be a professional football player? If you have millions, and are from St. Louis, playing pro ball in Arizona, and could live anywhere you want ...would you choose a little town in Wisconsin?

June 27th?

Wasn't that the time Wendell missed a mini camp because he had to take final exams at the University of Wisconsin?

Perhaps he was under the impression that cramming for finals works best when you drink as much as possible, even to the extent of going out for re-supply at 4:30 in the morning?

Pretty stupid. On many levels.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
I agree with Skkorp. Give the guy a chance to make up for his mistake. We've all made stupid mistakes in our youth. The key is to learn from them. If he does it again then get all over him for being a complete idiot.

Azlen

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Gambo on Bryant:

John Gambadoro
Special for azcentral.com
Jul. 19, 2004 11:40 AM

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Dennis Green has been all about sending messages since he took over as head coach of the Arizona Cardinals. From the bold prediction that the team will make the playoffs this season to forecasting the team will go 10-6, Green is trying to change a loser's image that has haunted this organization for years. He is making sure that no player feels comfortable, under any circumstances, and attempting to make the players believe they can win in Arizona. And while that is a mighty task, it is also half the battle.

The recent benching of L.J. Shelton, Dexter Jackson, Marcel Shipp and Calvin Pace only go to prove that Green is in control and that he has high expectations of his players. There is no buddy-buddy system with Green as of yet. Players are accountable. And he has put some fear into them, even if they did rat him out on his excessive practices during off-season conditioning workouts.

Green definitely has made things very interesting this off-season, but there is still more work to be done. And more messages need to be sent. Especially when a player who is making a lot of money with little production and is considered one of the organization's biggest busts decides to do a little drinking and driving, then run a red light and drive out of control at 20 mph above the speed limit.

That player, Wendell Bryant, is not in a position to make a mistake. Not on the field and certainly not off it. He was the Cardinals' first-round pick in 2002, No. 12 overall, out of Wisconsin. And thus far, he has contributed just 1 1/2 sacks in two years. Calling him a disappointment is an understatement. Bryant's arrest this past week could be the final straw for him as a Cardinal. He is scheduled to count $1.4 million on the salary cap this season and has three years left on his contract. While cutting him will not save the Cardinals much money - roughly $400,000 on the cap this season when you factor in his signing bonus - getting him out of town may be another chance for Green to emphasize the importance of doing things the right way here.

You see, Bryant's arrest is a bad reflection on him, on the organization and on Green. It is bad business to have sports fans reading about local players allegedly running a red light and having blood-alcohol levels above the legal limit. Especially for a team trying to start over. Green needs his players on their best behavior as he attempts to win over the fans.

What may help Bryant stay in Cardinal red is Arizona's lack of depth at defensive tackle. They recently cut Marcus Bell and Baron Tanner. Right now, Bryant is listed behind Russell Davis and could possibly beat him out for the starting job on the strength of a good camp. The starting four defensive linemen going into camp are Bertrand Berry, Darnell Dockett, Davis and Fred Wakefield. The backups at tackle are Bryant and Kenny King.

When Green signed Berry he took criticism since they just drafted Calvin Pace last year, saying that the team shouldn't be spending free-agent money on a position that it used a first-round pick to solidify. Obviously Green is not happy with the lack of production from guys like Bryant and Pace and has them on a short leash.

Maybe Green, who was considered a players' coach in Minnesota, has changed his ways and is becoming more of a hard ass. There is no question that this group of players need that. But maybe Green also realized that the majority of these players are not his guys and will not be here unless he gets this team to turn the corner. After all, what's the use of being a players' coach when you'll be cutting many of them down the road?

Bryant angered many in the organization when he decided to work out on his own in Wisconsin - where he was taking classes - this off season instead of being around the Cardinals facility. Green was hoping to get the message through to Bryant that he better start producing or his time in the NFL will be a very short one. Maybe Bryant is content with the $6-plus million he has already made. Maybe the Cardinals, with a history of bad drafting, miscalculated his true talent. Former defensive line coach Joe Greene was the one who scouted Bryant and gave the 'thumbs up' on drafting him. And we all know how pathetic Greene was in his time here.

Whatever the case may be, Bryant's arrest is a slap in the face to Green. And it's something he has to deal with. Bryant is now in the "program" after being arrested for an alcohol-related charge. He can be randomly tested between 8 and 10 times per month and must stay clean for two years to get out of the program. Problem is, the way Bryant has played, he might not be in the league when his probation is over.

Green can send a strong message to his team now that it's not just about what you do on the field, but also off it. That when you are trying to build a fan base, bad publicity is not a good thing. No matter how much money you make, or where you're drafted, you are accountable for your actions. Based on the way he has played, I don't think anyone will miss Bryant if he is gone. Nobody noticed him when he was here.

Green has done everything right so far. He is going to have a few years to turn this thing around. No matter how much he talks about winning now, it's just not realistic. He will be given a chance to build the team in his image over the next two to three years before he is properly judged. So far he is off to a good start. And if he wants to continue to change the perception of this team and if he truly cares about how his players are viewed in the community, then he has only one choice with Wendell Bryant: Say goodbye. [/font]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05