Cards coach to CofC: Expect 10-6 year

Card Trader

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
Seesred:

In goal-setting, it's usually a good thing to be specific. Saying in June that you're going to go 10-6 in the upcoming season isn't specific. Which ten games are you going to win? Which six games do you expect to lose? Who knows? The Cardinals could open the season 0-6, and still be "on target" to reach that goal.

Winning one game is a specific goal. Saying you're going to beat the Rams, in St. Louis, on September 12. That's a goal you can emphasize in every meeting, every practice, every scrimmage, every preseason game. That's a goal you can gameplan for, point toward, build up to.

And it's an achievable goal, especially in the minds of the players. No professional athlete wants to believe that he and/or his team can't beat a specific opponent. ("Win one game? Beat the Rams? Yeah, we can do that.")

WC

I'll make sure and send Green a link to this thread, not sure he'd make it as an NFL coach without your lessons on motivation and goal setting.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Card Trader said:
I'll make sure and send Green a link to this thread, not sure he'd make it as an NFL coach without your lessons on motivation and goal setting.

Make sure that you copy in Dave Wannstedt.

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
Wow. I guess this is what so much losing does to loyal fans.

10 wins is not far-fetched at all. In the NFL, every team can beat every other team on any given weekend. The #1 thing is coaching and with DG the Cards have a proven winner.

Teams go from worst to first every year, and the difference between winning and losing is slim.

Would I BET on 10 wins? I don't know about that, but I certainly wouldn't be all that surprised.

mdsisquo

All Star
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wild Card said:
AJCF:

You mean, they actually have to play the games? Gosh, who knew? ;)

"It's a long season, and September is a long way away. I'll leave predicting what our record's gonna be to the oddsmakers. What I and my coaching staff are doing is preparing to beat the 2003 NFC West champion Rams in St. Louis on September 12. Then, after we're 1-0 in league, conference, and division play, we'll get ready to beat the world champion New England Patriots in our home opener on September 19. And I hope we'll have a sell-out crowd to watch us go 2-0.

"After that? We're going to play 'em one at a time, just like they're scheduled. But our goal is the playoffs, and I expect nothing less."WC

"I'll leave predicting our record to the oddsmakers.........Then, After we're 1-0 in the leauge..........Hope we'll have a sell out crowd to watch us go 2-0."

:shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

Great advise. I'm sooooo glad we don't have our head coach saying something like that!

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Did Green refer specifically to the regular season. Maybe he means pre-season and regular season combined 10 wins.

A coach who makes unrealistic expectations a normal part of his business will not be around long. If you make those predictions frequently enough people start expecting that to occur this season. It is a good goal to expect in a couple years. This team has a major talent deficit. When the masses buy the prediction the coach has no excuse when he cant achieve it.

I am not impressed with Green. Drafting #1 in a an area of relative strength while ignoring your numerous weaknesses, naming the less effective and over the hill RB as the starter and having no real alternative to McCown are sure signs of a coach who will not make it here. Spurrier did not like Stephen Davis' style so he got rid of him and his choice for RB did not cut it. Where is Spurrier now?

Coaches do not line up and play. On 10/31 lets have a thread of all the guys who think the Cards are going to go 10-6. I want to hear why it did not happen. I am willling to bet some of the explanations will sound pretty similar to what you are hearing at this site form people who have not drank the kool-aid.

Last edited:

seesred

Reaction score
I hope we are not compairing Spurrier to Green. Green has won every place he has gone. Spurrier never won at the pro level.As for goals. You set short term and long term goals. Short term is winning the first game. A strong game plan, great practices to firm up assignments etc;

Long term ( Everyone should do this), we all have a place we want to reach. In business, home and personal.We set out steps to assure us of having a great chance of meeting those goals.For example. you wish to become a leader in your work place. You find out what is required to get the promotion. You set up steps to help you reach that goal. Maybe it's more schooling, maybe it's being seen as a person with ideas.

The Cards are doing that now, we have talked about playoofs, we talked about what it will take to get there 10 wins. The first step will be a great training camp, then a game plan for the Rams, then exicutution. We may not beat the Rams but if we exicute the plan we have a good chance. Never set your goals to low, or to easy, they are nott true goals. I hope we can win 10, but I will take a team that plays well and has it's eyes on the prize, one game at a time.

GBR

This_Guy

Veteran
Reaction score
A coach who makes unrealistic expectations a normal part of his business will not be around long.
DG averages 10 wins per year (I think), so he's merely predicting an "average" year by his standards.
It is a good goal to expect in a couple years.
Carolina went from 1 win to the Super Bowl in 2 years, so no jump is too big.
I am not impressed with Green.
OK.
Drafting #1 in a an area of relative strength while ignoring your numerous weaknesses
This despite most people subscribing to the BPA theory, and that DG needs 3 WRs to make his system work.
naming the less effective and over the hill RB as the starter
neither thing you mentioned has anything to do with leadership or pass-blocking ability, both of which are very important.
and having no real alternative to McCown
DG (and I am apparently the only other one) thinks that King is quite capable and ready.
Spurrier did not like Stephen Davis' style so he got rid of him and his choice for RB did not cut it. Where is Spurrier now?
Comparing Spurrier and SG is ridiculous. Spurrier's system was proven NOT to work while DG's system has proven repeatedly that it works.
Coaches do not line up and play.
Most believes that everything in the NFL revolves around the coaches, hence why NE wins multiple SBs without the most talent and why John Fox turns Carolina into a winner and why everyone is afraid of the Redskins this year.

BIGDADDY_REDBIRD

Registered
Reaction score
Coach Green stated that his players would become "more like he is" than "he becoming more like them". This is all part of his mental preparation for the players. Now if he's able to do what he says (Win with players that are here). Would we then argue that he won with players that coach Mac groomed??? The previous coaching staff was not competent nor confident. We cut a player like Mario Fatefhi & he goes on to begome a starter in the NFL, and our entire D-Line is weak year after year ????. WTF ???There were obvious problems in talent evaluation, percieved coach's favorites not being benched while playing poorly. Dennis Green feels that he can win with this bunch & I for one can't wait for him to do it!!!

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
This Guy, you like some other person I have had this discussion with has made my point for me:

It took Carolina 2 years.

The comparison with Spurrier is not meant as a comparison of their talents. The comparison is that Spurrier took a team short in talent and got rid of talent becuase it did not fit his scheme. I think a coach on a talent por team like the Cardinals needs to make use of the talent he has even if it does not exactly fit his scheme. If acoach wants to win quick he cant discard the talent he has with not equal or better replacement. Spurrier tried that and is now sitting at home.

Sometimes a coach has to accept reality and realize he can not immediately install his system the way he wants to. When Vermeil went to KC he could not install the Rams offense becuase the team did nat have the players to run it. What good does it do you if you have 3 good WRs but a QB with very little experience and no real alternative, no running game, an underperforming offensive line? If you make $10.00 an hour you sure would like to drive a brand new BMW but having a house and food may not be possible. At that point maybe you should buy the Toyota so that you can have those other things. The knock many made against Plummer was his salary prevented upgrading the rest of the team. By drafting in an area of relative strength isnt that what Green has done? He could have upgraded other areas of the team that needed it far worse.

So why so much blind faith in Green? He has never won a Super Bowl unlike the Pats.

Leadership and pass blocking does not do too much for establishing a running game. If there is no threat of the run it does not matter how many WRs and how good they are because McCown will be picking his teeth up off the grass after he has been sacked for the 70th time.

Last edited:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This_Guy said:
Spurrier's system was proven NOT to work while DG's system has proven repeatedly that it works. .

Completely agree here but I do have to point out something ironic. I was searching for something on Spurrier on google and came upon an article where he explained why they let Davis go. Basically he said it wasn't he didn't like to run the ball, or didn't think Davis was a good RB, rather that in his system it was VERY important that the RB can pass block, he felt Davis wasn't good at that, and he figured he was going to cost too much money to afford to have a backup specifically for blocking so he didn't keep Davis.

Now I think it's a different situation I'm not comparing Shipp to Davis, but it is ironic that apparently we're demoting Shipp for the same reason.

And remember what happened there, Washington QB's still got KILLED last year with the Spurrier system, and Davis helped his team get to a Super Bowl.

But Green is absolutely on a different level of NFL coaching than Spurrier, Spurrier really put Ramsey's life in danger with that system he was running, I'm convinced Gibbs got Brunell because he felt Ramsey needed a year to get his confidence back after the beating he took under Spurrier.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
On 10/31 lets have a thread of all the guys who think the Cards are going to go 10-6. I want to hear why it did not happen. I am willling to bet some of the explanations will sound pretty similar to what you are hearing at this site form people who have not drank the kool-aid.
Wow! That's pretty pessimistic from somebody who believes that Mizzou is a "National Championship Contender."

I'll get started on that thread right about the time the Tigers end up 7-5, again.

Dan H

ASFN Addict
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Every team in the NFL should be talking playoffs this time of year. You set the bar low, you get low results.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
This_Guy said:
Wow. I guess this is what so much losing does to loyal fans.

10 wins is not far-fetched at all. In the NFL, every team can beat every other team on any given weekend. The #1 thing is coaching and with DG the Cards have a proven winner.

Teams go from worst to first every year, and the difference between winning and losing is slim.

Would I BET on 10 wins? I don't know about that, but I certainly wouldn't be all that surprised.

Makes me want to put a little cash on the "over" for the cards over/under win total amount.

Jim O

Reaction score
maddogkf said:

Dude, on FTB today, Jurecki dedicated his "Put Down The Kool-Aid" song to Coach Green. It was hilarious. Jurecki said that Green could listen to it in his Range Rover while he drives around town. I laughed hard when he played it.

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
BigRedMO said:
Leadership and pass blocking does not do too much for establishing a running game. If there is no threat of the run it does not matter how many WRs and how good they are because McCown will be picking his teeth up off the grass after he has been sacked for the 70th time.

So you put your talent evaluation skills above DGs?

Missouri (snicker)

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
For the record I do not think Mizzou will contend for a national championship. I do think they have a real good shot to win the North of the Big 12 and than probably lose to Oklahoma. That is progress.

That is exactly what I am looking for for the Cards. The Cards last year were absolutely the worse I ever recall seeing them. I would turn on the game hoping to spend a couple hours watching the game and in half and hour it was over. I have said this a million times but here goes again. Last in points scored and last in points allowed. That says it all. They couldnt find their asses with both hands on either side of the ball. A new coach and some new draft picks will not fix problems of that magnitude.

I am not a better judge of talent than Green. I know what I saw last year in Smith and his last year in Dallas. I know no other team wanted him. I also see the parallel logic between him and Spurrier regarding Davis. All you have to do is look at the stats to see that Shipp was better than Smith last year.

I also know that to win in the NFL you have to have a credible running game.

Last edited:

argh

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Check out Belicheck's record in CLE.

This DG hate is so apparent it's sickening.

This is exactly what Viking fans are like.

When DG turns the Cards DON'T BOTHER JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON.

You wanted him fired BEFORE training camp.

What a great fan you are.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
I dont hate Green or want him fired. I want the Cardinals to win. I am trying as hard as I can to understand him. However I do not blindly follow anybody. If I do not understand something or disagree I say so. That is what America is all about. Some of his decisions are reminescent of other bad decisions by other coaches. Green is not infallible. He has not been to a Super Bowl. I would not waste my time with a web site where everybody slobbered unquestioning praise on every move made by Green. What would the point of that be.

There was a time when every year I thought the Cardinals were going to the Super Bowl. I was 12. Since then I have learned to think analytically.

Last edited:

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
argh said:
Check out Belicheck's record in CLE.

This DG hate is so apparent it's sickening.

This is exactly what Viking fans are like.

When DG turns the Cards DON'T BOTHER JUMPING ON THE BANDWAGON.

You wanted him fired BEFORE training camp.

What a great fan you are.

Hey Vikesfan you're back already? :wave:

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
As any new leader of an organization, Green cannot walk in and tell everyone that they suck, that they are the scum of their profession and that they have no hope of turning it around. He must make them leave the past in the past.The first thing that he has to sell to them is that in his system they can be contenders and he can only sell it if he believes it. When people start really believing that they can do something then they start making it happen. Everyone becomes motivated into being more and more successful. Believing in something can overcome talent alone. When the whole organziation develops an unwavering faith in itself that's when you find yourself in contention. Green is not being the cheerleader that we have witnessed here before, he's being a salesman and a leader.

seesred

Reaction score
I agree completly with Card shark. I remeber going into businesses that were failing. Sales were down, profit , Who ever heard of it? Change the system through a plan, keep most of your people, heck when they were hired someone saw something. Retrain, meet with all on staff. Set goals, for individules, the office, yourself, and more often then not you can turn a dead dog into a new born pup. Every player we have has talant. some less than others, but they made it to this point, the very top of the world of football.

All were winners in school, the top, the leaders! These same kids came to a program that was all hype. I Love Mac , just not as a coach. Now you find the spark, the talant in each and evey one. You get rid of the non believers. And you start building your team. A Defensive end here, a corner there, a change on the o-line, more change on the D-line, safetys and linebackers switch a new scheme, and a boss who will take the heat. Maybe after all is said and done we don't win as many games as we thought or sold enough potatoes, but it wont be because we came in expecting the same thing, it might take some time but if the plan works you will win.

GBR

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05