Cards notebook: Green won’t trade picks for Henry

CardsGuy

Registered
Reaction score
Cards notebook: Green won’t trade picks for Henry

By Darren Urban, Tribune

Cardinals coach Dennis Green said Thursday that "we’re not going to mess around with trading draft picks" when it comes to trying to pry Buffalo running back Travis Henry or any other player away in a deal.

Green acknowledged Henry remains on Arizona’s radar screen. The Cards are interested in swapping tackle L.J. Shelton for Henry, while the Bills are holding out for more compensation.

One source familiar with the talks said that while the Cardinals had originally been looking for something extra in addition to Henry in exchange for Shelton — as was pointed out by Buffalo general manager Tom Donahoe Wednesday during a national radio interview — that was no longer the case.

Henry has one year left on his contract, but Green not only emphasized that wouldn’t be an impediment to getting a deal done, he said the Cards would want Henry to play out his deal before committing to a new contract.

"We don’t really know his value," Green said. "If Travis did do a deal with us, he would not be satisfied with it. . . . We’d rather him prove he should get the big money."

CORNER CHOICES

Asked about free agent cornerback Renaldo Hill — whom the Cardinals would like to re-sign — Green implied Hill would have to reduce his asking price to get a contract before the draft.

"The (free agent) players in April, they are in direct competition with draft picks," Green said. "And draft picks, those are young players, hungry players and cheap players."

Green also said he thought three cornerbacks — Miami’s Antrel Rolle, West Virginia’s Adam "Pac-Man" Jones and Auburn’s Carlos Rogers — are all good enough to be drafted in the top 10.

EXTRA POINTS

Green said that the Cards will still take the best player available with the eighth pick overall, even with seemingly huge needs at running back and quarterback.

Green said he is expecting a large percentage of his players to participate in the team’s voluntary offseason conditioning program, which begins Monday.

"The best teams in the National Football League have a good turnout (for offseason workouts)," Green said.

Contact Darren Urban by email, or phone (480) 898-6525

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
The (free agent) players in April, they are in direct competition with draft picks," Green said. "And draft picks, those are young players, hungry players and cheap players."

Green also said he thought three cornerbacks — Miami’s Antrel Rolle, West Virginia’s Adam "Pac-Man" Jones and Auburn’s Carlos Rogers — are all good enough to be drafted in the top 10.

I would imagine that those 3 guys will cost a few dollars more than Hill.

RedViper

Registered
Reaction score
imaCafan said:
So Green is playing the media game with Donohue.......I like it!!!!

He may as well. As far as many Cards fans feel, we can take or leave this thing. Given the job DG did with his second and third round picks last year, none of us want to see him lose any ground there. On the other hand, just about every bills fan I've seen on this board or the other one, is expressing outrage that the trade isn't being made. Donohue is feeling a lot of heat from those people who know they desperately need a tackle, Henry will be an obnoxious cancer if he remains with the team, etc. Even if we don't make the trade, its fun to cross the bills up for trying to low ball us and then put the blame on us in the media. I think we've got other options and if the bills don't want to make this thing work out in our favor, then screw em.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CardsGuy said:
If you do the math, that means that at least 1 of these players are ranked at least at #8 on his board -- and unless he has them ranked at 8, 9 and 10, probably higher -- making it a (likely?)possibility that CB will be our pick if they make it to us.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Urban Strikes Again

Kudos to the EVT and Darrell Urban for publishing this tidbit of info. Unless the AZR published similar info but failed to post it electronically this morning (when all they had up there was the Tagliabue/Steroid story), it looks as though the EVT may have pulled off a minor scoop.

I think we can all agree that we've been hungry for this kind of info.

Props to Urban and a word of "encouragement" to the AZR.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Doing The Math

If you do the math, that means that at least 1 of these players are ranked at least at #8 on his board -- and unless he has them ranked at 8, 9 and 10, probably higher -- making it a (likely?)possibility that CB will be our pick if they make it to us.
Reading the tea leaves (and a recent Green statement that there are a number of good RBs, CBs or LBs in his Top Ten, the math would suggests that his top ten board would include:

QB - Smith and Rodgers (2)
RB - Brown, Williams, Benson (3)
WR - Edwards, M Williams (2)
CB - Rolle, Rogers, PacMan (3)
LB - Johnson (1)

That comes out to 11 players (assuming there are no "out of left field" wildcards like Williamson WR, Miller TE or Ware OLB). I wonder which dude isn't on his list. I'm guessing the QB, Rodgers.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
I'm guessing the QB, Rodgers.
It'll be interesting, because I think there's a possibility we find out on draft day--Rodgers might be there at #8 if Cleveland passes on a QB and SF takes Smith. Outside chance, but still a chance.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
It'll be interesting, because I think there's a possibility we find out on draft day--Rodgers might be there at #8 if Cleveland passes on a QB and SF takes Smith. Outside chance, but still a chance.

Kiper continues to say that he personally would take Smith but SF will take Rodgers. Will be interesting if they pass on him apparently the reason they do not want Rivers is they're concerned about his arm strength since the stick is such a windy stadium. That's likely why they prefer rodgers to smith too his arm is stronger.

There's IMHO very little to the notion that Rodgers being local is important, although the list is smaller, they have a long list of people waiting to get on the season tickets list so it's not like they need a local player to generate fan interest.

JasonKGME

I'm a uncle's monkey??
Reaction score
JeffGollin said:
Reading the tea leaves (and a recent Green statement that there are a number of good RBs, CBs or LBs in his Top Ten, the math would suggests that his top ten board would include:

QB - Smith and Rodgers (2)
RB - Brown, Williams, Benson (3)
WR - Edwards, M Williams (2)
CB - Rolle, Rogers, PacMan (3)
LB - Johnson (1)

That comes out to 11 players (assuming there are no "out of left field" wildcards like Williamson WR, Miller TE or Ware OLB). I wonder which dude isn't on his list. I'm guessing the QB, Rodgers.

Actually I wouldnt be suprised if both of the QB's are not on the top 10 list. Remember on a top ten list of TALENT, SKILLS, & ATHLETIC ABILITIES, most top 10 DRAFT LIST QB's dont make it. Just because the player is a QB usually causes them to go higher in the draft then BPA would slot them. So if DG goes by the BPA concept, odds are both the QB's are out, and probably OT Barron is in instead.

BigRedMO

Registered
Reaction score
Perfectly logical to me. The draft is rich in RBs. If it was a poor draft for RBs it would not make sense. I dont even like the idea of trading a player for any RB. Some big name backs like James are not generating much interest for this same reason.

BigRedFan

Registered
Reaction score
Joe Montana didnt have particularly good arm strength did he? or was that in a different stadium back then I dont remember.

Russ Smith said:
Kiper continues to say that he personally would take Smith but SF will take Rodgers. Will be interesting if they pass on him apparently the reason they do not want Rivers is they're concerned about his arm strength since the stick is such a windy stadium. That's likely why they prefer rodgers to smith too his arm is stronger.

There's IMHO very little to the notion that Rodgers being local is important, although the list is smaller, they have a long list of people waiting to get on the season tickets list so it's not like they need a local player to generate fan interest.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BigRedFan said:
Joe Montana didnt have particularly good arm strength did he? or was that in a different stadium back then I dont remember.

Nope same stadium. Same with Young he didn't have a gun. I think it has a lot to do with Rattay and Dorsey having weak arms. When they did the workouts Smith was indoors, Rodgers outdoors, and it was reported locally the 49ers were quite disappointed that Smith chose to workout indoors because they wanted proof he had enough arm strength to deal with wind.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
CardsGuy said:
Henry has one year left on his contract, but Green not only emphasized that wouldn’t be an impediment to getting a deal done, he said the Cards would want Henry to play out his deal before committing to a new contract.

"We don’t really know his value," Green said. "If Travis did do a deal with us, he would not be satisfied with it. . . . We’d rather him prove he should get the big money."

Ergo, even if we trade for Henry during the draft, we'll still take a first-day runningback. That will spell the end of the Marcel Shipp era at Sun Devil Stadium.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
RedViper said:
He may as well. As far as many Cards fans feel, we can take or leave this thing. Given the job DG did with his second and third round picks last year, none of us want to see him lose any ground there. On the other hand, just about every bills fan I've seen on this board or the other one, is expressing outrage that the trade isn't being made. Donohue is feeling a lot of heat from those people who know they desperately need a tackle, Henry will be an obnoxious cancer if he remains with the team, etc. Even if we don't make the trade, its fun to cross the bills up for trying to low ball us and then put the blame on us in the media. I think we've got other options and if the bills don't want to make this thing work out in our favor, then screw em.

We feel the same way in Buffalo, "Take it or leave it." Donahoe is NOT feeling heat and even if he was, he wouldn't care. Donahoe is crafty and does nothing but what he sees as best. I think he does a pretty good job too, just look at Willis McGahee and hopefully JP Losman. I'm sure you do have your other options, but so we do.

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
We feel the same way in Buffalo, "Take it or leave it." Donahoe is NOT feeling heat and even if he was, he wouldn't care. Donahoe is crafty and does nothing but what he sees as best. I think he does a pretty good job too, just look at Willis McGahee and hopefully JP Losman. I'm sure you do have your other options, but so we do.

In the end I think both teams will be happy. Now that both have done what they need to in trying to get the most for their team, we can make the straght up trade and, who knows maybe meet up in the Superbowl because of it.

Good luck with your season and in the draft. :wave:

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
CardShark said:
In the end I think both teams will be happy. Now that both have done what they need to in trying to get the most for their team, we can make the straght up trade and, who knows maybe meet up in the Superbowl because of it.

Good luck with your season and in the draft. :wave:

Thanks, you too. Unfortunately, we don't have a 1st round pick because we spent it getting JP last year. Hopefully that was the right move! :thumbup:

arthurracoon

The Cardinal Smiles
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Thanks, you too. Unfortunately, we don't have a 1st round pick because we spent it getting JP last year. Hopefully that was the right move! :thumbup:

Good luck this season!

The Bills are my second favorite team to the Cards (Born in Buffalo, moved to PHX).

:raccoon:

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Your new stadium looks unbelievable :eek:

Too bad those damn Jets are getting a new stadium, kinda kills any hopes for us Bills fans :soapbox:
Oh well, I like the Ralph! This is my first year as a season ticket holder.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I think with the success Green had last season in the draft, and extra 3rd is something that's a very valuable piece to the puzzle......switching 2nd's makes little sense.......in fact, the Bills should be very desperate to move up IMO, and should offer more if they wanted to........they'll make some moves I believe to get up there.

DMBills36

can't stop this
Reaction score
Some people over at the Bills board feel that Donahoe might be making a deal elsewhere involving Henry. I don't believe there is any real basis behind it. Honestly, I don't know if there is much validity in this because we need an LT such as Shelton. We can never really tell what Donahoe is going to do, though, which makes it difficult to speculate. I am expecting atleast one surprise to come between now and in the draft.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan