Cards O?

Harpo

All Hail the New Regime!
Reaction score
Is anyone else worried? Where is that deep vertical passing game we heard about (or even a short dump off passing game for that matter). I know it's the preseason, but you would think they would try to get these young guys involved.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Passing game a big concern so far! Only 68 yards passing is not going to cut it. OL was also having trouble opening up holes for running game against starting D of Bolts. We got most of running yrds in second half.

OP
OP
H

Harpo

All Hail the New Regime!
Reaction score
How do you evaluate the players when you don't throw them the ball? Running routes is nice, but it means nothing if they can't catch. We are half way through the pre-season, and no player has more than 3 catches. That's pretty poor.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They threw deep maybe once or twice. I thought the playcalling was VERY conservative. It was first down run, second down run, basically the whole game. I'll allow that it's preseason though.

OP
OP
H

Harpo

All Hail the New Regime!
Reaction score
So are we waiting to try the passing game against Detroit? I figured this was our biggest question mark, and they would really work on it in the pre-season.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Harpo
How do you evaluate the players when you don't throw them the ball? Running routes is nice, but it means nothing if they can't catch. We are half way through the pre-season, and no player has more than 3 catches. That's pretty poor.

In my personal opinion, preseason games as personnel evaluation is overrated by the fans. I think much more of the decision comes from how the coaches think players are fitting their schemes during camp. That's why it never fails that there are "surprise" cuts every single year.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
So far I am worried about our offense, I have not seen or heard anything so far that gives me confidence that our offense is on the right track. I hope they do better in the next two preseason games. I love that they won but the O- did not impress.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
I don't put anything into preseason games, offense is as vanilla as you can make it, defense is your base. We have to wait till the season starts to see if our coaching staff can put the right players in the right schemes. While its fun to talk about (hell its football) preseason is meaningless for gathering much info on certain players.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Why play preseason at all then??? If you cannot evaluate players and if you cannot practice your plays but you risk losing your key players during these meaningless games (Clement last year, KVB this year).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by az1965
Why play preseason at all then???

IMO, there should be no preseason. Never gonna happen though.

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I am worried about blake. Where is all this accuracy i heard about? 1 completion in 1+ qtr. Things like that are horrible i dont care if it is pre-season or not. 1 more question, why is he running? He obviously didnt hear about vick.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Originally posted by ajcardfan
IMO, there should be no preseason. Never gonna happen though.
I agree. I'm against pre-season as well but don't think it will change.

pinetopred

Registered
Reaction score
If the coaches don't know who will make this team after camp they will never know IMO, sure it may help a little to see guys in live action, but this can be done in a scrimage also. Preseason is another way for the NFL to stick their hands in your back pocket, and give us fans something to talk about, nothing real important happened tonight besides losing one of our starting DE's.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinetopred
If the coaches don't know who will make this team after camp they will never know IMO, sure it may help a little to see guys in live action, but this can be done in a scrimage also. Preseason is another way for the NFL to stick their hands in your back pocket, and give us fans something to talk about, nothing real important happened tonight besides losing one of our starting DE's.

Kinda...sorta...maybe.

There is more to football then walkthroughs or even live hitting. These guys have to play in front of tens of thousands of fans, in game situations, against other teams strengths and weaknesses, to know how they will respond.

I agree pre-seaosn can be dangerous, but it is a neccessary evil in my eyes

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
How perfectly timed article...

Shorten the preseason

By Boomer Esiason
Special to NFL.com

(Aug. 13, 2003) -- As a player, I always thought four preseason games were way too much. As a seasoned veteran, there is nothing more frustrating than playing a limited number of plays and not playing well. All players need to get themselves into a rhythm. Early in the preseason, coaches hold back star players for fear of injury. Players become frustrated with the inability to create any consistency in their game.

Usually in the third preseason game, the starting units only play into the third quarter. It might sound like an easy transition, but re-acclimating yourself to halftime and the pressures of the final minute of the game are not easy. This is especially true if a particular player who was a starter the previous year now finds himself in a battle for that position. One mistake during a limited number of plays could end up costing him his job.

Insecurities and inconsistencies are found throughout all NFL training camps. With the emphasis now placed on offseason conditioning and passing camps, coaches literally know what 95 percent of their roster will be by the time training camp opens. There are the occasional surprises and injuries that allow no-names to find a spot on the roster but at the end of the day, I still believe four preseason games, which are sparsely attended in most cities, are a joke.

Let's play two preseason games and add two regular-season games to the schedule, which would allow more interconference games and even greater interest because now we have added two more games that count.

Shorten the preseason

AMEN!!!
As Mistler would say... "Now that's what I'm talking about!!"

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
And more on shortening the preseason... I second this!

Aug. 14, 2003
By Pete Prisco
SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Pete your opinion!

Preseason two games too many

Every year around this time, the rally cry to shorten the preseason can be heard, especially when players begin to go down in these meaningless games. The Packers lost two key players last week against the Falcons when Gilbert Brown and Bryant Westbrook were sidelined for the year with injuries. Brown was expected to be a starter and a key to the run defense, while Westbrook was the planned nickel back. Instead the Packers will have to carry their salaries as they spend the season rehabbing.

The Dolphins have had starter Mark Dixon, deep snapper Ed Perry and a bunch of others go down during camp.

It's time to reel it in a bit.

Teams appear to be playing it far more cautiously this preseason in effort to keep the starters away from the injured-reserve list. The Jets have yet to give Curtis Martin a carry in two games, while most teams gave their premium players one series in their openers. Several players are being held out, even though they say they would play if it were the regular season.

With year-round training, players no longer need four preseason games. And neither do the fans. The NFL has to find a way to cut the preseason to two games and expand the regular-season schedule to 18.

We know how the owners essentially get free gates in the preseason since players are paid only a stipend each week instead of their salaries. But salaries are paid each week at 1/16th, so with two more games the players could divide the pie up by 1/18th per week. The problem is that if the regular season went to 18 games, the players would want a pay increase. After all, those games would count, which would be a problem.

Somehow, though, these two sides have to agree to cut the preseason to two games. With the salary cap the way it is now in the current system, there's no wiggle room for injuries. It's bad enough when they happen in the regular season, but when it happens in the preseason, it's even worse.

The time for change is now, even if it means less money for the owners.

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/6565824

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
16, i beleive blake was 4 of 7 and rushed twice for20. did he turn it over?did he throw behind his back? did we win? just chill and remember, just win baby...

AndyO

Veteran
Reaction score
I would love to see the NFL reduce the preseason to 2 games and expand the regular season to 18 games, but I doubt it will ever happen, or at least ever happen any time in the near future. The preseason is just too big of a money grab for the owners to give up.

wierwolf

Koolaid Guzzler
Reaction score
I agree also with a lot of theses threads. Shorten the preseason. Anytime though the players get on the field there is a chance of injury, whether it be practice ,preseason, or a regular season game. It's the nature of the game. The players know this. It is sad to see one go down anytime. But it's not uncommon. I think our offense will do fine. This second game was an evaluation of our depth. Our 1st team O is supposed to get a lot more reps against the Bears. Then we will be able to see where it lies. Our defense I think is still playing good. Yes the had that long Drive where Chatman was just taking it to them, But they stood strong, holding them to a FG. I am sure Mac will find a fit to replace KVB. I just feel bad for him cause it was going to be his year to shine.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
I may get flamed but IMHO 18 regular season games is too many. It's already difficult for players to get through a grueling 16 game regular season schedule and the extra two games won't really help determine who the better teams are.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Originally posted by pinetopred
If the coaches don't know who will make this team after camp they will never know IMO, sure it may help a little to see guys in live action, but this can be done in a scrimage also.

In this afternoon's 5:45 segment on KDUS, Mike Jurecki made an interesting comment about the offensive play calling on Saturday. He said, in effect, that he couldn't understand why it was more important to evaluate the #3, #4 and #5 RBs then it was to get reps in the passing game for the top 4-5 wideouts.

Good point. I mean, everyone's known who the top two running backs for the Cardinals are since spring minicamps. The picture at WR doesn't seem nearly that clear.

WC