Cards/Panthers prediction

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just heard on KDUS that Karlos Dansby and Emmitt Smith did not practice today and are questionable for Panthers' game. I think Dansby has a bad ankle and I don't know what's wrong with Emmitt.

Nathan Poole, Josh McCown, and Renaldo Hill were limited in practice but are probable.

A long look at the defensive and offensive stats for Az and Carolina shows very similar teams with some exceptions in Carolina's favor. Panthers have a much better passing attack. They get more yardage, more TDs, and take fewer sacks.

On defense, they've only given up 5 passing TDS, best in the league. Cards have given up 10 TDs.

If Emmitt doesn't play, we lose this game big, since they will tee off on our oline and kill McCown. If Emmit is healthy, and Dansby can't play, we'll still lose, but by a smaller margin.

If both Emmitt and Dansby can play, we'll still lose a nail-biter. Any way I look at it, we lose.

Panthers play close games every week and their pass rush is coming around. They destroyed Rattay last week.

Carolina 27
Arizona 13

Last edited:

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with Skkorp that this will be a very close game. Carolina plays tough at home and we all know our record on the road.

However, I think that the Cardinals squeak out another victory similar to the last second effort in Miami.

Cardinals 16
Panthers 13

Rats

Somanyfreaks,SofewCircus'
Reaction score
Our D is much better than SF and Carolina was already overrated when healthy. If LJ can block Peppers and get our QB some time we might actually see Freddie Jones have a big day. Q maybe to. Sorry Larry will still have to wait for more than one big play a game. I give the game to the Cards........... 21- 14.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you mean Josh should be benched??? OPPS, wrong thread.

This will be a very tough game. The Panthers obviously are not the team they were last year. All things point to a close, low scoring ball game.
We should be able to shut down their run and apply some pressure on Delhomme. Stats show they should be able to do the same to us.

So it will come down to special teams, field position , penalties and turnovers. We have excelled in turnovers. We will probably have more penalies cause we are the road team( sad but true). So to me it comes down to special teams. If the have their "a" game we will win. I think they will bring their 'A' game.
Also, it will be interesting to see what Hambrick would do if he played the whole game. He seems to run down hill and might be the type of back that gets stronger.

Cards-16
Panthers-10

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
i think we'll lose this game as it is a roadie and we just aren't good enough to win 3 in a row. that said, i called last week's game a trap game too and we won. so i'll go against my conventional thinking and call this one:

cards 17
carolina 14

ulp.

Phlegyas

Just win, baby
Reaction score
It will either be

Arizona 14
Carolina 10

or some such, or

Arizona 28
Carolina 21

or some higher score. This will either be a defensive struggle (more likely), or will be an offensive game. But, being the optimist that I am, I say the Cards win this one.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
13-10 Cardinals

I'm guessing neither team moves the ball very well. There might be 2 defensive TDs.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
Being an optimist, I say we win 24-20. I think Josh will pull his head out of his butt and throw for a little shy of 200 yards with a TD. I think the defense will come up with a TD as well. I think if Emmitt can't play our D is going to be on the field way too much, but they will prove themselves to be what we all know they are. Watch the blitz early to test Delhomme's thumb. I think it may come down to one mistake for either QB.

spanky1

Reaction score
skkorp,

Pretty positive about our "non existent" chances aren't you.

Well I have also studied things VERY closely......but rather than looking at "historic" stats, I've focused on personnel......like who is playing and whose is not.

Delhomme is as banged up as Josh (more than a headache, he has a broken bone in his passing thumb). Hambrick, if pushed into starting is far better than anyone left on the Panther's roster (to be honest with you, if Emmitt is a no go, I'm perfectly fine with this).......these guys have lost their all star kicker and their all star MLB in the last week alone. Yes they beat SF, but SF were without their entire starting CB's

Oh, and I'll be at the game........this alone improves our chances immensly.

Lex

troublemaker
Reaction score
Perhaps Denny DID bench Emmitt?

I would love to see what Scooby Doo could do in an entire game. He's been back one week, good time to try it out.

Should be low scoring once again.

17-10 Cards, we win it in the last 3 minutes.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Skkorpion said:
Just heard on KDUS that Karlos Dansby and Emmitt Smith did not practice today and are questionable for Panthers' game. I think Dansby has a bad ankle and I don't know what's wrong with Emmitt.

Nathan Poole, Josh McCown, and Renaldo Hill were limited in practice but are probable.

A long look at the defensive and offensive stats for Az and Carolina shows very similar teams with some exceptions in Carolina's favor. Panthers have a much better passing attack. They get more yardage, more TDs, and take fewer sacks.

On defense, they've only given up 5 passing TDS, best in the league. Cards have given up 10 TDs.

If Emmitt doesn't play, we lose this game big, since they will tee off on our oline and kill McCown. If Emmit is healthy, and Dansby can't play, we'll still lose, but by a smaller margin.

If both Emmitt and Dansby can play, we'll still lose a nail-biter. Any way I look at it, we lose.

Panthers play close games every week and their pass rush is coming around. They destroyed Rattay last week.

Carolina 27
Arizona 13

Didn't you say we were going to beat the Giants and lose to the Panthers or was that somebody else? :confused:

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
Hopefully the team is taking Green seriously when he says that we have to play better than we did against the Giants in order to win. The Panthers are coming home after an emotional win, but they are a depleted team. If we can pressure Delhomme enough so that the deep threat plays can't develop, and if we get Fitz and Boldin each 10 catches, I say we win. We are the better, up-and-coming team and will have confidence going on the road for once.

Cards 17
Panthers 6 (Thanks, Tim Duncan)

Tangodnzr

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I'm with Spanky on this one.

The main key is who is/isn't playing NOW.

I said a couple of weeks ago that I felt the main weakness on our defense is stopping the rush up the middle.

I give Pendergast big time credit for making the adjustments to stop Tiki after those first two horrendous drives.

I would expect the Panters to try and run it up the gut, especially with Delhomme having the bad thumb.
Anyone that buys into that not affecting him, must not have been around here back in "99 the year that both Jake and Favre probably hurt their teams by trying to play with bad thumbs, when they shouldn't have.
Their offensive line may be a little more cohesive, but I would expect the Cards to hold up OK.

I think our pass defense can give them problems.

I also look for another ball control, try and establish the run, game plan by Green on offense.

I think the panthers have more to fear than the Cards do.
I think if the Panthers jump to an early lead, the Cards can still come back.
If the Cards get an early jump, then they could have a field day if they establish the run. They can control the clock, and now and then go for the big play.

The biggest keys to me:
1.- establishing the run
2.- LJ keeping Peppers off Josh if they pass
3.- The defense shutting down Carolin's inside running game

Cards - 20
Panthers - 13

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:

:biglaugh: Please, you're killing me! :biglaugh:

Anyhow, Emmitt or no Emmitt, I think this is a game we lose. "Classic Cardinals" is my reasoning. I've been burned so many times, this just feels like one of those games we lay an egg in when the whole Valley is starting to pay attention. Heck, when I picked my daughters up at dance class last night, four of them were talking Cardinals and I had no clue they even liked football. Right then I thought, "We're screwed."

Panthers 10 Cards 9

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lex said:

I would love to see what Scooby Doo could do in an entire game. He's been back one week, good time to try it out.

Should be low scoring once again.

17-10 Cards, we win it in the last 3 minutes.

Sometimes I think you're nuts Lex, but this is one conspiracy theory I could actually buy into. Green sees Emmitt at Cowboys game, doesn't like it, doesn't care how good of a "sell job" Emmitt does, benches him one game to show the team nobody is bigger than the team.

Doubt it, but if there's a coach in the NFL that would do it, it would be Green.

Red Dawn

Go Big Red!
Reaction score
We played them tough last year during their super bowl run, albeit it was at home. Being the eternal optimist koolaider that I am:

Cards 24, Panthers 17

:thumbup:

Jttsaz

#40 Never Forget
Reaction score
I see the Cards being able to run the ball vs. Carolina....I see a big day for both Emmitt and Troy...opens up the pass...Carolina is one dimentional...they can't run the ball so they will count on the passing game...Cards will get pressure on the QB...The Cards are starting to believe in themselves and it'll show on Sunday...they are playing for the P word...

24-13 Cards

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly I have no idea. I just can't wholheartedly that a team with next to ZERO offense can consistently win - especially if one of th eonly guys keeping us from being completely inept on offense might now play and one of the KEY defenders on defense might not play.

Let's just say - I'm not getting my hopes here, but I do think somehow - someway - we will find a way to win one of the next two ball games. That's about as solid a prediction I can make right now.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Low scoring game
Defense dominates on both sides
Cardinals squeak out a win

Cards 13
Panthers 9

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bad feeling on this game. Panther's defense will shut us down. Cards can't win on road without an offense.

Panthers - 33
Cards -10

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
az jam said:
Bad feeling on this game. Panther's defense will shut us down. Cards can't win on road without an offense.

Panthers - 33
Cards -10
I can understand Panthers winning, but with that much margin??? Ain't gonna happen unless defense decides to not board the plane for the game...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05