Cards pick arrives with redemption on his 'Dockett'

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Cards’ pick arrives with redemption on his ‘Dockett'

By Darren Urban, Tribune

TEMPE, Ariz. — Darnell Dockett had just spent a few hours cleaning up trash by the side of the road — community service punishment after getting in trouble with the law at Florida State — when he climbed into the back of the bus that would take him home.

His life needed to change, he thought. He started with a poem. As the bus rumbled home, Dockett pulled out a pen and started scribbling an ode to his uncle, Kevin, the man who rescued Dockett from what had been a wretched life. It has since been etched on Dockett’s right forearm:

For believing in me

when no one else would.

When the odds were against me,

beside me you stood.

For being my friend,

brother, confidant and father. Because of you I know

blood is thicker than water.

Words can’t express my gratitude,

nor any amount of money.

From the bottom of my heart,

thank you and I love you

Donny

Darnell Dockett celebrates his 23rd birthday today. That the Arizona Cardinals defensive tackle is even here, finishing up two weeks of rookie workouts, a mere two classes from getting his degree from Florida State, already has validated his journey. He had just turned 13 when he walked into his house in Decatur, Ga., one July day and found his mother, Cheryl Hambrick, dead with a bullet in her head, blood everywhere.

He moved to Maryland to be with his estranged father, Darnell Sr., who was dying of pancreatic cancer. A couple months later, Dockett was an orphan.
That’s when Kevin, Darnell Sr.’s brother, took Darnell Jr. in for good. He probably saved Dockett’s life, since Darnell Jr. freely admits that had he stayed in Georgia, he’d either be in prison or dead.

Dockett is hardened but not hard. He has spent the last decade trying to mature, a process made more difficult by the horrors he once saw. He long ago came to a realization that “this is the type of life I’m going to live. It’s going to be full of obstacles.” It is a burden, one he’d rather not share. His hesitation in telling his tale has nothing to do with wanting to hide it but in wanting to make sure he is treated like everyone else.

“That’s something I wake up thinking about every day of my life,” Dockett said. “I don’t want (someone) to think about it when you see me, this sorry story.”

NEW BEGINNINGS

Kevin Dockett will admit Darnell wasn’t a good kid when he first moved in, but he scoffs at the idea he might have thought twice about bringing Darnell into his home in Burtonsville, Md., for good.

“It was family, man,” he said. Kevin Dockett owns a construction business. His wife, Toni, is a manager for Blue Cross/Blue Shield. They were wealthy, living in a world Darnell once dared not dream about.

But money alone wasn’t enough to recalibrate Dockett’s attitude. Discipline was a problem.

There were the understandable trust issues, said Mary Beth Waits, a former Paint Branch High School teacher who became a mentor to Dockett. Trouble often found Dockett, Waits said, because some students would look to make their reputations in physical confrontations with the tough guy from down south. Yet Dockett had a softer side, which he showed after he began working with mentally handicapped kids.

“He had some bully tendencies, and a lot of that stemmed from his background,” said Dockett’s Paint Branch football coach, Bob Windsor. “He was the kind of kid who made you laugh and cry at the same time.”

Dockett was fortunate to find football — he had no interest in the sport until he was told by his uncle to play to get some order in his life — and admits now the sport was the main reason he was willing to stay in school. He quickly emerged as a star, recruited by all the national college powers before choosing Florida State. But the qualities that made him so appealing as a recruit — intensity and anger — made him tough to reach.

“Once he saw we were interested in him as both a person and a player,” Florida State defensive coordinator Mickey Andrews said, “he began to develop.”

Dockett still had his brushes with authority. In 2001, then-Florida coach Steve Spurrier accused Dockett of intentionally trying to injure the knee of Gators running back Earnest Graham. Coaches frequently had to chastise him for dumb penalties and other small problems.

“He had a hard time initially differentiating between discipline and punishment,” Andrews said. “He had to understand there is a line.”

Dockett got in his most serious trouble his junior season, charged as part of a scam at a local mall store after paying $107 for $1,010 worth of merchandise. He was suspended for the 2003 Sugar Bowl, suspended from spring practice a couple of months later and eventually pled no contest, getting a year’s probation and community service. Dockett doesn’t want to shift blame — “I made a mistake,” he said — but he believes most of his problems are overblown because of his background.

“I’ve grown from my mistakes, and a lot of people don’t want to see I’ve grown from my mistakes,” Dockett said. “They are so worried about the negative things I do. That’s what makes stories. What about the positive things I do? I’ve bought bicycles and donate bicycles (to kids), donated money to the Boys Club even when I was in college and didn’t have that much money. But people don’t write about that. They don’t want to know about that.”

CHANGING PERCEPTIONS

NFL teams were worried about Dockett’s background.

Before the April draft, many predicted Dockett would go late in the first round. But concerns about his character led Dockett to drop to the Cardinals as the first pick of the third round.

“They say (a) guy is better than me, that he has better character than me,” Dockett said. “That same guy that never had anything happen to him in his life, that had everything handed to him, that got to go home to his mother and father every day. Of course his character is going to be different by nature.

“I have a point to prove before I walk away from the game.”

Added Kevin Dockett: “He’s going to show them.”

The Cardinals said they thoroughly investigated Dockett's past before drafting him. Coach Dennis Green said after a recent practice that as long as a mistake is in the past and cleared up, “you don’t worry about that as an issue.” Dockett’s senior year at Florida State was incident-free.

Dockett’s high school coach believes Arizona is a perfect destination for the defensive tackle, who could start as a rookie. “If he went to New York, he’d probably be a head case,” Windsor said. “In Arizona, it can be about football.”

Dockett makes it clear his problems with the draft-day drop aren’t about money. His family provides plenty of that. Dockett’s motivation is the doubt that creeps into every conversation about his NFL chances. It’s the message boards on the Internet where fans write that he’ll eventually cause trouble for the Cardinals.

It’s the knowledge that not everyone believes in him like his Uncle Kevin does.

“I came to the realization I can’t get hurt any more than I already had been,” Dockett said. “I’ve been to the bottom . . . and that’s how I live my life. I don’t worry about getting hurt, don’t worry about being cut, don’t worry about coaches cussing at me. I experienced the worst thing that can happen to anyone.”

Last edited:
OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
It’s the message boards on the Internet where fans write that he’ll eventually cause trouble for the Cardinals.
Maybe Darren Urban taught the Dockett thread; (all 32 pages of it) Maybe Urban taught we were talking bad about Dockett? :shrug:

seesred

Reaction score
I have lots of respect for this kid. He will be a big winner here and a likely pro bowler in the future..

GBR

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
Maybe Darren Urban taught the Dockett thread; (all 32 pages of it) Maybe Urban taught we were talking bad about Dockett? :shrug:

Well if he reads this, I hope the best for him. Am very glad he is active in charity and hope he causes havoc along the line for his new family!

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
It’s the message boards on the Internet where fans write that he’ll eventually cause trouble for the Cardinals.

I guess the dude didn't read that thread it was about Underwood. But hey if it fires Dockett up let's trash him. Seriously I think most fans here think he is going to make it.

This kid could wind up being a steal.

OP
OP
azdad1978

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
I don't think its fair to trash the guy just to motivate him, with what he went thru in his life I think his motivation is already there.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:
I don't think its fair to trash the guy just to motivate him, with what he went thru in his life I think his motivation is already there.
:thumbup: I agree let's show the kid support. His home team fans are backing him all the way.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
Met the guy at mini-camp, my friends and I were all extremely impressed. Dockett does follow through on his hope when you meet him in person...."“That’s something I wake up thinking about every day of my life,” Dockett said. “I don’t want (someone) to think about it when you see me, this sorry story.”

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
azdad1978 said:

Darnell we were talking about Underwood, not you (-:

Nice article, brings to mind the quote about Tillman from the letter i posted today about if you judge people at their worst everyone looks crummy.

MAKTEN

Veteran
Reaction score
I think its great when a writer will shed light on the other side of a player. Especially one that is turning from a negative direction into a positive one. It really makes readers/fans aware of who they may be judging. Not all of us have been dealt an equal hand in this world. Here's to a successful career for Darnell in the NFL. :beer:

DevonCardsFan

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I wish this dude tons of luck. I hope he hits like Moss or Sapp, guys with character question marks, that completely excelled after falling in the draft.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
Between this draft class and last year we could have a good team. Remember, Dallas had a great draft in 1998 and went from 1-15 into a dynasty. Check it out:

The 1988 Dallas Cowboys Draft:

Rnd Pick Ovrall Name College Pos
1 8 8 Greg Ellis North Carolina DE
2 8 38 Flozell Adams Michigan State T
4 8 100 Michael Myers Alabama DT
5 7 130 Darren Hambrick South Carolina LB
5 15 138 Oliver Ross Iowa State T
6 35 188 Izell Reese UAB DB
7 34 223 Tarik Smith California RB
7 38 227 Antonio Fleming Georgia G
7 48 237 Rodrick Monroe Cincinnati

The 1989 Dallas Cowboys Draft:

1 1 1 Troy Aikman UCLA QB
2 1 29 Steve Wisniewski Penn State G
2 11 39 Darly Johnston Syracuse RB
3 1 57 Mark Stepnoski Pittsburgh C
3 12 68 Rhondy Weston Florida DE
4 1 85 Tony Tolbert Texas-El Paso DE
5 1 113 Keith Jennings Clemson TE
5 7 119 Willis Crockett Georgia Tech LB
5 13 125 Jeff Roth Florida DT
7 1 168 Kevin Peterson Northwestern LB
8 1 196 Charvez Foger Nevada RB
9 1 224 Tim Jackson Nebraska DB
10 1 252 Rod Carter Miami (FL) LB
11 1 280 Randy Shannon Miami (FL) LB
12 1 308 Scott Ankrom Texas Christian WR

Emmitt came in 1990 and the rest is history.

Why not us?

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
THis is how we drafted those years:

The 1988 Arizona Cardinals Draft:

1 12 12 Ken Harvey California LB
2 11 38 Tony Jeffery Texas Christian RB
3 13 68 Tom Tupa Ohio State QB
4 13 95 Michael Brim Virginia Union DB
5 11 120 Chris Gaines Vanderbilt LB
5 23 132 Tony Jordan Kansas State RB
6 11 148 Jon Phillips Oklahoma G
7 14 179 Ernie jones Indiana WR
8 13 206 Tim Moore Michigan State LB
9 12 233 Scott Dill Memphis State G
10 11 260 Andy Schillinger Miami (OH) WR
11 14 291 Keith McCoy Fresno State DB
12 13 318 Chris Carrier Louisiana State DB

The 1989 Arizona Cardinals Draft:

1 10 10 Eric Hill Louisiana State LB
1 17 17 Joe Wolf Boston College G
2 12 40 Walter Reeves Auburn TE
3 11 67 Mike Zandofsky Washington G
4 10 94 Jim Wahler UCLA DT
5 11 123 Richard Tardits Georgia LB
5 16 128 David Edeen Wyoming DE
6 11 150 Jay Taylor San Jose State DB
7 10 177 Rickey Royal Sam Houston State DB
8 12 207 John Burch Tennessee-Martin RB
9 11 234 Kendall Trainor Arkansas K
10 10 261 Chris Becker Texas Christian P
11 12 291 Jeffrey Hunter Albany State DE
12 11 318 Todd Nelson Wisconsin G

Big difference.

I got this info from: http://nflhistory.net/shared/draft1.asp?Team=29&Year=1989

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
In a way I think of Dockett being the best addition for us because I really do think he has first round talent. Steals like the one we made are what make teams better.

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
In a way I think of Dockett being the best addition for us because I really do think he has first round talent. Steals like the one we made are what make teams better.
Exactly you add a legit player to your team (Q last year) and Fitz, Dansby, maybe Dockett, maybe Step this year and you can turn it around quick.

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
I see Dockett getting some roughing the passer penalties this year, but that's good. It order to get this type of penalty, you actually have to get into the backfield!

vikesfan

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Oran said:
I see Dockett getting some roughing the passer penalties this year, but that's good. It order to get this type of penalty, you actually have to get into the backfield!
ROTFLMAO

Loyal Card 17

Veteran
Reaction score
we got ken harvey and eric hill out of the deal. that not bad. the rest of the draft is. i wanted the cardinals to draft dockett in the second. i knew he wouldn't be there in the 3rd. to my surprise he was. the cardinals got the best man available and dockett should be a solid player in the middle of the season. at that time, he will be better than any other lineman that the cardinals have on rostor.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The 1988 Dallas Cowboys Draft: :confused:

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
SunCardfan said:
The 1988 Dallas Cowboys Draft: :confused:

I posted these so you could see how many great players Dallas got in two drafts. In 1988 alone their first four picks ended up becoming stars.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oran said:
I posted these so you could see how many great players Dallas got in two drafts. In 1988 alone their first four picks ended up becoming stars.

Greg Ellis is a "star"? If he is, he's a "white dwarf" at best. And Michael Meyers is maybe an asteroid.

That draft must be 1998, correct?

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
yeah, I messed up. Here it is. I feel stupid:
The 1988 Dallas Cowboys Draft:

1 11 11 Michael Irvin Miami (FL) WR
2 14 41 Ken Norton Jr. UCLA LB
3 12 67 Mark Hutson Oklahoma G
4 12 94 Dave Widell Boston College T
6 14 151 Scott Secules Virginia QB
7 13 178 Owen Howen Oregon State T
8 12 205 Mark Higgs Kentucky RB
9 11 232 Brain Bedford California WR
10 14 263 Billy Owens Pittsburgh DB
11 13 290 Chad Hennings Air Force DT
12 12 317 Ben Hummell UCLA

The 1989 Dallas Cowboys Draft:

1 1 1 Troy Aikman UCLA QB
2 1 29 Steve Wisniewski Penn State G
2 11 39 Darly Johnston Syracuse RB
3 1 57 Mark Stepnoski Pittsburgh C
3 12 68 Rhondy Weston Florida DE
4 1 85 Tony Tolbert Texas-El Paso DE
5 1 113 Keith Jennings Clemson TE
5 7 119 Willis Crockett Georgia Tech LB
5 13 125 Jeff Roth Florida DT
7 1 168 Kevin Peterson Northwestern LB
8 1 196 Charvez Foger Nevada RB
9 1 224 Tim Jackson Nebraska DB
10 1 252 Rod Carter Miami (FL) LB
11 1 280 Randy Shannon Miami (FL) LB
12 1 308 Scott Ankrom Texas Christian WR

the first four picks of 1989 were stars.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05