Cards release Shelton & Diamond

EndZone

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Cards Release Pair of Players

The Arizona Cardinals announced Wednesday that the team has released offensive tackle L.J. Shelton and tight end Lorenzo Diamond

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Knew it was coming. A pithy we could get nothing for Shelton. Surprised we didn't wait till June 1st for cap purposes.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good riddance to more of the Mackage.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
What's the cap ramifications? I realize it puts everything in this year, but is it neutral or do we take a hit?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What did we decide was the cap implications with LJ both ways, today, and waiting 13 days to release him after June 1st?

Seems like Green wants all the caphits this year I'm assuming that means next year we'll spend more in FA?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
What did we decide was the cap implications with LJ both ways, today, and waiting 13 days to release him after June 1st?

Seems like Green wants all the caphits this year I'm assuming that means next year we'll spend more in FA?

seems like the smart way to go - why save even more cap then we already have for this season? We're not gonna sign another high priced FA and we still have room to put some of Q extension into this year's cap - so why not continue to look toward the future and ensure that we will continue to have cap flexibility in order to shore up even mroe holes and possibly extend even mroe players next year? Makes perfect sense to me.

spanky1

Reaction score
Remember......one of Warner or McCown will cost us big dough next year. This reduces the amount of dead money we'll have on the books for 2006. Heck, we might even be through carrying dead money by 2006.

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what this siginfiies at the TE posiiton? (yes, I know more are obviously focusing on the release of LJ)....

I thought that Diamond was #2 at the depth chart (perhaps I was mistaken) behind Edwards.. Does this mean that Bergen has already impressed enough to warrant a spot? Or has Blizzard impacted Green enough to be the 2nd TE?

Quite honestly TE was the 3rd position entering this past draft that I was more concerned about (behind CB and RB) and now to somewhat deplete it further (oh, I know Diamond wasnt the greatest, but still).... Are there still any decent TE that are currently available or might be subject to June 1st cuts that the Cardinals could acquire to fill this somewhat "huge" (using huge loosely) void?

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
KLL said:
Are there still any decent TE that are currently available or might be subject to June 1st cuts that the Cardinals could acquire to fill this somewhat "huge" (using huge loosely) void?
I'm not at all worried about the TE position this year. I think we'll see one of the three guys (Bergen, Blizzard, Edwards) really shine this year. They all have the potential to do it, IMO.

English on tour

Eng-gur-land Eng-gur-land
Reaction score
KLL said:
I wonder what this siginfiies at the TE posiiton? (yes, I know more are obviously focusing on the release of LJ)....

I thought that Diamond was #2 at the depth chart (perhaps I was mistaken) behind Edwards.. Does this mean that Bergen has already impressed enough to warrant a spot? Or has Blizzard impacted Green enough to be the 2nd TE?

Quite honestly TE was the 3rd position entering this past draft that I was more concerned about (behind CB and RB) and now to somewhat deplete it further (oh, I know Diamond wasnt the greatest, but still).... Are there still any decent TE that are currently available or might be subject to June 1st cuts that the Cardinals could acquire to fill this somewhat "huge" (using huge loosely) void?

blizzard looks ok in NFLE but it leaves us really short in a posistion that is fast becoming a hot one on the NFL and whats seems to give teams a game winning extra dimension

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'm not at all worried about the TE position this year. I think we'll see one of the three guys (Bergen, Blizzard, Edwards) really shine this year. They all have the potential to do it, IMO.

Yeah...I guess I'm worried about "unprovens", however, it's not if as though obviously that Diamond was the best TE either, so perhaps Green and co. realized that Bergen and Blizzard were equal or in fact better than Diamond and at a lesser cost.... Also, I should not overlook either that Rowen has worked wonders with TEs all throughout his coaching career, so why not now again with the Cardinals?????

Last edited:

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
KLL said:

I'm guessing they were impressed enuf with Bergen, Bronson, and obviously Eric Edwards to let him go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan