Cards release Shelton & Diamond

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone hide all the sharp objects from Antsports Steve. Not only did they cut Shelton, they cut him pre June 1.

Bobcat

Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
ASFN meltdown coming...

I totally agree, as if these guy's were Pro-Bowlers year end and year out.

They both tried but failed. Good luck to them with their future teams.

Bobcat :thumbup: :)

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
Hodgins is next.

and then - pretty much everything Graves and Mac did two years ago in that horrid offseason and in season resignings will be completely nullified.

Thank God for Dennis Green.

I still can't believe so many people thought I was nuts because I thought an offseason of signing an over-the-hill RB, a FB, a journeyman QB, a FS and trading down and taking two guys who were nowhere near first rounders and leaving ourselves with no experienced WRs on offense = a horrid season.

Last edited:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Well, I told Skkorp that there was no way Clement and Shelton would both be released. Looks like I was wrong. Again.

Anyway, I think they are good moves. Diamond never panned out and it seems obvious now that no one was going to give us anything for Shelton. $3 million a year is too much for a backup.

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
It's smart why put it on the books for next year if we can afford it this year. This way we can sign some more FAs next year.

Our TE position is just getting worse. Talk about scrub city. Who are these group of nobodys. Will our TE position even get a catch this year. Maybe we should just go with all 3 and 4 reciever sets.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
JPlay said:
Our TE position is just getting worse. Talk about scrub city. Who are these group of nobodys. Will our TE position even get a catch this year. Maybe we should just go with all 3 and 4 reciever sets.
Edwards, Bergen and Blizzard are all better than Diamond IMO.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
seems like the smart way to go - why save even more cap then we already have for this season? We're not gonna sign another high priced FA and we still have room to put some of Q extension into this year's cap - so why not continue to look toward the future and ensure that we will continue to have cap flexibility in order to shore up even mroe holes and possibly extend even mroe players next year? Makes perfect sense to me.

I agree 100%. Take the cap hit now and have more money to spend next year when more contracts will come due. All we need to do now is to extend Boldin's contact and we'll be set. Thanks to RG and M. Bidwill, this team will no longer bounce between cap hell and no money spent on FA's. A nice, smooth, steady flow with talent waiting in the wings to take the place of people departing looking for greener pastures.

Imagine that. The Cardinals actually look like a real NFL franchise. A winning franchise.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
seems like the smart way to go - why save even more cap then we already have for this season? We're not gonna sign another high priced FA and we still have room to put some of Q extension into this year's cap - so why not continue to look toward the future and ensure that we will continue to have cap flexibility in order to shore up even mroe holes and possibly extend even mroe players next year? Makes perfect sense to me.

Yeah I'm assuming Graves and Green are smart enough to leave enough caproom for Quan this year. Most times when you extend a deal you cut the caphit for the current year but Quan's base salary is so low it's inevitable his caphit this year will go UP not down.

Do I wish we'd released Shelton, no, but it was inevitable we tried to trade him and couldn't you just knew we weren't going to carry him all year.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I still can't believe so many people thought I was nuts because I thought an offseason of signing an over-the-hill RB, a FB, a journeyman QB, a FS and trading down and taking two guys who were nowhere near first rounders and leaving ourselves with no experienced WRs on offense = a horrid season.

It seemed bad then but when you say it like that it seems REALLY bad now. Never before had a team been so weak at WR. Horrible.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
It seemed bad then but when you say it like that it seems REALLY bad now. Never before had a team been so weak at WR. Horrible.

dude - it sounded REALLY bad then as well.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked this thread hasn't gotten to 1500 posts yet - can't we let Tango back on for one day - it would be really fun right now.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cheesebeef said:
I'm shocked this thread hasn't gotten to 1500 posts yet - can't we let Tango back on for one day - it would be really fun right now.
5 of the 38 posts are from people who wanted Shelton gone either predicting that the board would impode or lamenting that it hasn't, yet.

:D

CardinalLaw

Reaction score
clif said:
10 seconds left before billsphan shows up gloating ..9....8....7...

They've already plagued the Official Board. You guys are lucky.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Official Release

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Wednesday, May 18, 2005

CARDINALS RELEASE

PAIR OF PLAYERS

Tempe, AZ – The Arizona Cardinals today announced that the team has released offensive tackle L.J. Shelton and tight end Lorenzo Diamond.

Shelton was originally drafted by the Cardinals in the first round (21st overall) of the 1999 draft out of Eastern Michigan. He appeared in 12 games at right tackle in 2004 (nine starts) before being placed in injured reserve with a knee injury on December 14. Over the past six seasons, Shelton started 77 of the 82 games in which he appeared.

Diamond, who originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent from Auburn in 2003, appeared in five games (four starts) in 2004 with three receptions for 19 yards. He spent the first 14 weeks of the 2003 season on the Cardinals practice squad before being signed to the active roster for the final two games.

- azcardinals.com -

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Who will McCown throw to in his own endzone from now on with his primary receiver being released today ?

Too bad Shelton didn't "fit" here he is a good OLman.

:thumbup:

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Now you know why we didn't do the trade. Henry is worth way more than some Cardinal reject.
Right. Teams are breaking down Donohoe's door with offers for Henry. Be sure and come back when Henry is released.

Troll.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:
Now you know why we didn't do the trade. Henry is worth way more than some Cardinal reject.

Is that any way to talk about your starting LT? :)

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
RugbyMuffin said:
Who will McCown throw to in his own endzone from now on with his primary receiver being released today ?
:thumbup:

:D

Kel Varnsen

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Renz said:
Right. Teams are breaking down Donohoe's door with offers for Henry. Be sure and come back when Henry is released.

Troll.

:D :thumbup:

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:

Of course now if you try to sign Shelton you'll have to change your tune and what would be really funny is if Buffalo tries to sign him, and loses him to another team.

Not that it matters with Losman at QB your offense is going to struggle anyways.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
DMBills36 said:

Who cares what you wanted or didn't want, I didn't want a Bill's reject either so we're even.

I'm happier with JJ Arington in the draft and cutting LJ than trading you LJ and a pick for TH.

LJ wasn't wanted here, I'm not sure how worthwhile he was but you were never going to get a pick out of us anyway so quit whining and start the JP Loseman bandwagon in high gear.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan