Cards scouting Marcus Vick

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Heard this on the Bickley MJ morning show earlier this week. They said that Rod Graves made a trip to watch Marcus Vick play. He is the younger brother of Michael and starting qb for the undefeated Viriginia Tech team.
He is a red shirt junior and could declare after this season. Could he be the so called qb of the future for the Cards??
A lot of you follow college football. I would appreciate your thoughts on him.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really have an opinion of Marcus Vick as the "QB of the future" for the Cards, but I'me very encouraged to learn that somone in the organization is thinking about the Qb of the future.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I think Marcus Vick is too short to be an NFL QB. And I don't think he's that good.

Marcus Vick 6' 0" 213 lbs. Source

Michael Vick 6' 0" 215 lbs. Source

The that good part I'm not going to discuss because I really havn't seen enough of him. He is winning. People complain about Michael Vick but he wins.

Last edited:

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I don't really have an opinion of Marcus Vick as the "QB of the future" for the Cards, but I'me very encouraged to learn that somone in the organization is thinking about the Qb of the future.

:thumbup:

Look at 'em all: Leak, Jacobs, Cutler.......

I'd draft Ferguson if he is there, if not, time to grab a QB. Enough of this journeyman stuff.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Here's Vick's draft report, compliments Fantasy Football Tool Box, which can be located here

--At this stage of his career he is more of a athlete than true quarterback, but I feel in time he will become a viable player at his position.

-- At times he tends to take off and run before looking at all his progressions as the player behind center, he also tends to have happy feet while in the pocket.

-- He commands respect not only from his teammates but from opposing defenses as well, with his dazzling speed, feet and open field running.

-- He also possess a rocket for a rm that does at times tend to be inaccurate, if he were to polish up on some of his throwing mechanics and become more confident throwing from the pocket he could become lethal.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We should just hire a scout to go to every Sam Houston State game.... that school churns out NFL QB's like there's no tomorrow

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
We should just hire a scout to go to every Sam Houston State game.... that school churns out NFL QB's like there's no tomorrow
:p

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Marcus Vick 6' 0" 213 lbs. Source

Michael Vick 6' 0" 215 lbs. Source

The that good part I'm not going to discuss because I really havn't seen enough of him. He is winning. People complain about Michael Vick but he wins.
It always seemed to me that Marcus appeared shorter whenever I saw them but I guess this picture proves me wrong.

You must be registered for see images

I'm very interested to see how Vick does against Miami this weekend. I've seen Tech play a few times this year and I'm pretty so-so about Vick but playing well against the Canes would do a lot to change my mind. But there's no question he's a better paser than his brother and while not as dynamic with his feet as Michael, Vick isn't garbage in the open field. But like pariah said, the most crucial aspect of this is the fact that we are indeed going to try and address the position with a playmaker as opposed to a QB who needs 10 good players around him to be successful.

boondockdrunk

Resident Drunkard
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
I think Marcus Vick is too short to be an NFL QB. And I don't think he's that good.

I don't think his brother is that good... He is highly overrated. Sure he is mobile, but his passer rating has never been too good. Not to mention the press he gets for being a running back playing QB. It is not like he is the only player who allows Atlanta to win. The team is fundamentally sound, and win regardless of who is their field general.

San Diego sure got the better of that deal.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I have seen Virginia Tech play a lot but for some reason I never really focused on him, mostly focused on the D and their TE's.

But on stats alone he is pretty impressive. He is ranked second in the nation in QB Rating.

1 Brian Brohm Louisville 169.8
2 Marcus Vick Virginia Tech 167.2
3 Matt Leinart USC 166.9
4 Justin Holland Colorado State 166.1
5 Drew Olson UCLA 165.3
6 Drew Stanton Michigan State 164.3
7 Vince Young Texas 163.7
8 Brady Quinn Notre Dame 161.9
9 Phil Horvath Northern Illinois 159.5
10 Omar Jacobs Bowling Green 156.2

And he does have a 70% comp. % along with 11 TD's and 5 INT's at 10 yards a clip.

I think he is a better passer then Young but not a better runner.

Young - 1 INT per 23.75 attempts
Vick - 1 INT per 31.6 attemps

But thats just a stats analysis I will have to take a look at him more when I watch their games.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:

He's extremely accurate but I doubt he's more than 5'10" so I'd agree he's probably too short.

fball13

Registered
Reaction score
He definately has one thing up on his brother... he doesn't seem to have Herpes...

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fball13 said:
He definately has one thing up on his brother... he doesn't seem to have Herpes...

That's just because of the age of the girls he sleeps with. :D

Seriously I really wonder if Vick would pass the Bidwill's "morality" test? Not saying he's the first guy in history to have sex with a 15 year old but Bidwill seems to be very concerned with those sort of things.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
I don't think his brother is that good... He is highly overrated. Sure he is mobile, but his passer rating has never been too good. Not to mention the press he gets for being a running back playing QB.

San Diego sure got the better of that deal.
Have you ever seen Atlanta's record when Vick is playing and when he isn't? He makes his team much better.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
boondockdrunk said:
The team is fundamentally sound, and win regardless of who is their field general.

Winning % when Vick is Starter - .674
Winning % without Vick as Starter - .310

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
joeshmo said:
I have seen Virginia Tech play a lot but for some reason I never really focused on him, mostly focused on the D and their TE's.

But on stats alone he is pretty impressive. He is ranked second in the nation in QB Rating.

1 Brian Brohm Louisville 169.8
2 Marcus Vick Virginia Tech 167.2
3 Matt Leinart USC 166.9
4 Justin Holland Colorado State 166.1
5 Drew Olson UCLA 165.3
6 Drew Stanton Michigan State 164.3
7 Vince Young Texas 163.7
8 Brady Quinn Notre Dame 161.9
9 Phil Horvath Northern Illinois 159.5
10 Omar Jacobs Bowling Green 156.2

And he does have a 70% comp. % along with 11 TD's and 5 INT's at 10 yards a clip.

I think he is a better passer then Young but not a better runner.

Young - 1 INT per 23.75 attempts
Vick - 1 INT per 31.6 attemps

But thats just a stats analysis I will have to take a look at him more when I watch their games.

Do they figure QB rating differently in the NCAA?? I thought the highest mathmatical rating was 158.3 (or is it 153.8 :? )

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering where we might pick when it is our time at the podium, (5-10) I would say that Vick is about as good as they come at our pick. Granted he is probably a stretch picking him that high, but at least we will be drafting a QB of the future.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Do they figure QB rating differently in the NCAA?? I thought the highest mathmatical rating was 158.3 (or is it 153.8 :? )

It's a different system, I don't even know if their rating system has a ceiling.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
He's extremely accurate but I doubt he's more than 5'10" so I'd agree he's probably too short.
Then Michael is 5'10" too.

duckfallas

All Star
Reaction score
Since when are Bickley and MJ a reliable source of information? I thought MJ got fired and is now the Cardinals "outsider".

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Russ Smith said:
It's a different system, I don't even know if their rating system has a ceiling.

So if I had my kick returner down the ball at the 1 inch line and I threw a 99.999 yard TD pass each time and never threw an INT or an incompletion my QB rating could be 100000000000.00

...excellent

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
I have seen him play numerous times and once in person. He is not, I repeat Not a clone of Michael Vick. In fact Beamer and his coaches have been trying to get Marcus to run more, yes thats right run more. He is a gifted athlete but at this stage in his career he would rather sit in the pocket and pass than take off and run. He has been running more the last half of this season but make no mistake he is a better passer than Michael ever was in college.

According to some of the VaTech message boards, some players are staing that Marcus is actually faster than Michael and there is some that were suggesting they actually raced on campus after a VaTech practice earlier this year and Marcus beat him. I dont know if that is all just message board fodder or not, but regardless the kid is fast.

I have not made up my mind on him yet b/c of all the character question marks and the like but he is a very intrguing prospect. From watching him I will tell you that he is certainly a better passer than Michael, but the jury is still out on whether he can consistently be a playmaker. This weeks matchup VS Miami should answer that question.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
earthsci said:
Then Michael is 5'10" too.

He might be, look at him next to Warrick Dunn sometime he's not that much taller than Dunn.

It works for Michael because he's such a great runner, Marcus isn't the runner Michael is so my concern would be can he succeed at that size. We'll see I'm just guessing at 5'10" but he does look pretty short.