Cards/Seattle prediction

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unlike Detroit, Seattle is a pretty good matchup for the Cards.

The strength of Seattle's defense is their swift LB corps and two guys are banged up. The dline and secondary are nothing special. Seattle can limit a run game but has trouble against the pass.

Short exerpt from footballguys.com
Arizona's Passing Game vs. The Seattle Defense (Good Matchup)

Seattle's pass defense isn't much better than the 2002 edition, which surrendered 213.2 passing yards per game on average (18th in the NFL). They gave up 29 completions for 274 yards and 1 TD to Aaron Brooks last week, and only came up with 1 interception on the day. They are starting a rookie, LCB Marcus Trufant, in the injured Shawn Springs' spot - he had 4 solo tackles and 1 assist on the day, while fellow RCB Ken Lucas
had 8 solo tackles.

As long as Blake doesn't run out of receivers, he should have a good chance at another solid day passing the ball vs. the mediocre Seattle secondary.

On offense, Seattle will give us trouble with the passing game. The Cards have a decent run defense so Shaun Alexander shouldn't be able to dominate the game.

QB Hasselbeck has WR Koren Robinson, WR Darrel Jackson, and TE Itula Mili to torture us with and there isn't much we can do to stop it.

I anticipate an entertainiing, high scoring game with both teams having minor run success but huge passing success.

Cards 33, Seattle 27. Minor chance at a Cards double digit win.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Cards 27
Seahawks 23

Turnovers are a fluke occurance for the most part (unless you're Plummer obviously) and I'd say that we have as much opportunity to win the TO battle as Seattle does. Going with the heart on this one.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry. But we lose again. This time 23 - 20. Blake has a good day but we generate no pass rush for the 2nd week in a row. S. Alexander is the difference maker and rushes for over 100 yds and scores 2 tds.

cardsunsfan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I say we win because there is less of a chance they know our play book like last week. I already predicted a score in another thread. I don't know what it was but we won though!!! :)

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
The way I see it, both offenses have the passing weapons to overhelm the respective opposing secondaries. Neither defensive line is going to scare anyone. The Cards have the sleight advantage at linebacker, but just barely.

This game, I think, comes down to the two offensive lines, especially in run blocking. I think that the Cards are going to be susceptable to the draw from Shaun Alexander, and will be able to get the short-first down, as the Lions were able to do last week.

If the Cards get down by more than two TDs, this game is going to get ugly, as Blake starts to either press or get disinterested (I can't tell which happened on Sunday) and the defense gets discouraged (preventing this might have been KVB's main contribution to this team last season).

The Cards have to take care of the ball all game long, but with such an inexperienced wideout corps (aside from Anquan, who carries the knowledge of a hundred Hall of Famers), I'm afraid that Blake keys on 'Quan, and that leads to picks.

Coaching edge goes wholly to Holmgren and Ray Rhodes. There's going to be a lot of press on the Seahawks after this game.

Seahawks: 35
Cardinals: 21

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
we will have to score 40 points to win this one. theyre gonna eat our d up. sorry. GO CARDS...

Cardiologist

Veteran
Reaction score
I think the Seahawks running game will help them control the ball in the first half giving them a 13-3 lead. In the second half, the Seahawks have more room to pass and their QB burns the Cards for 3 more TDs. "Big Bang" Boldin will have another 100 yards receiving, despite the added attention due from last week's record breaking performance but only 1 TD with the final score being 34-17 Seattle.

Seahawker

Reaction score
Arizona's Passing Game vs. The Seattle Defense (Good Matchup)

Seattle's pass defense isn't much better than the 2002 edition, which surrendered 213.2 passing yards per game on average (18th in the NFL). They gave up 29 completions for 274 yards and 1 TD to Aaron Brooks last week, and only came up with 1 interception on the day. They are starting a rookie, LCB Marcus Trufant, in the injured Shawn Springs' spot - he had 4 solo tackles and 1 assist on the day, while fellow RCB Ken Lucas
had 8 solo tackles.

As long as Blake doesn't run out of receivers, he should have a good chance at another solid day passing the ball vs. the mediocre Seattle secondary.

Not sure I agree with this take from footballguys.com. Our Pass D was very effective up until they went prevent for a majority of the 2nd half. That's when Brooks had most of his yards.

Ken Lucas may be one of the most underrated corners in all of football, he plays really well against the leagues best. Marcus Trufant simply put will be a star in this league. He was on Donte Stallworth and Joe Horn all of the time last Sunday. And while they got yards (again prevent defense) they didn't get any big plays. I think the biggest play surrendered by Trufant was a 35 yard fly to Horn. You guys will see in person that Trufant has a great break on the ball. And has a knack for making up on a play that most rookie DB's would get burned on.

Our pass D took a little hit when Springs went down, but our safeties and corners are both very solid.

It's when you get us in dime packages that we look a little thin (Willie Williams and Kris Richard are the 3rd and 4th guys...Doug Evans is the 5th corner and backup safety to Reggie Tongue.)

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards get their running game going and chew up a lot of time on the clock. Smith and Shipp combine for 150 yards rushing. Quan gets 125 yards receiving and 2 TD's. Cards shut down Seattle running game and get 2 - int's. Turnovers hurt Seattle and Cards win 24 - 21.

justAndy

Jolly Nihilist
Reaction score
here's how you beat 'em

... Seahawk guy says they're weak in nickle/dime situations.
Line up in shot gun w/ 3 recievers. At random, send FB and/or RB out into pass patterns....

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seattle looked to good in thier opener. The Cards will struggle to stop Alexander and Robinson.

31 - 24 Seattle over the Cardinals.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Who's Afraid of the Seahawks?

Not me. Not after reviewing the Hawks home opener against New Orleans.

The Saints had more first downs, 20-17. Won time of possession, decisively, 34:39 to 25:21. Outgained the Seahawks in total yards, 359-270, and passing yards 256-119. Destroyed them in third-down conversions, 10-19 to 3-12. The only important offensive/ defensive stat in favor of Seattle was rushing yards, 151-103, but both teams averaged over 4 yards-per.

So what happened? New Orleans had 4 turnovers (1 INT, 3 fumbles lost) to none for Seattle; the Seahawks fumbled twice, but recovered 'em both. Three of the Saints' turnovers led to 13 Seahawks points off 48 yards in offense. New Orleans also gave up 114 yards in penalties to 20 for Seattle.

Sound familiar? Fumbles, interceptions, penalties. The Saints gave away a game they clearly could have won, had they made fewer mistakes (or if Seattle had made more). Those things have a way of evening out.

I think the Cards get back to .500, and make those in attendance happy they braved the heat. Other than the Seahawks, that is, who'll be on IVs in the 4th quarter. 27-21, Cardinals.

WC

Mr.Dibbs

Cap Casualty
Reaction score
48-33 Seahawks, and we all gather here on Monday to complain. The receivers are good, but a few drops kill us. Special teams is again the Special Ed. Teams, giving up 14 points. Exciting game, but we still lose.

TXCardinalsFan

Feeling no pain
Reaction score
My prediction.....For what it is worth.

In the second quarter Smith will be driven out of bounds on a sweep play and smack Mike Holmgren. Holmgren will have to leave the game due to a concusion and with no one left that knows how to call the offensive plays for Seattle, the game becomes a Pop Warner League shootout.

Blake will end up with 450 Yds 5 TDs and two Ints.
Hasslebeck will end up with 328 Yds 4Tds and 4 Ints.

Smith will bust a C note and get 180 Yds combined.
Alexander will bust a C note too and get 166 Yds Combined.

Boldin will get Rookie of the Week honors again after he nets 332 Yds and 3 TDs.
Jones will get 80 Yds and 2 Tds.
Koren Robinson will get 140 Yds and 2 Tds.
Darrel Jackson will get 110 Yds and 1 TD.
Fauria will have 73 Yds and 1 TD.

So, we will win by default because time will run out, and Holmgren will be heard cursing Emmitt all the way to the hospital.

But that's just my two cents.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Re: Who's Afraid of the Seahawks?

Originally posted by Wild Card

The Saints had more first downs, 20-17. Won time of possession, decisively, 34:39 to 25:21. Outgained the Seahawks in total yards, 359-270, and passing yards 256-119. Destroyed them in third-down conversions, 10-19 to 3-12. The only important offensive/ defensive stat in favor of Seattle was rushing yards, 151-103, but both teams averaged over 4 yards-per.

So what happened? New Orleans had 4 turnovers (1 INT, 3 fumbles lost) to none for Seattle; the Seahawks fumbled twice, but recovered 'em both. Three of the Saints' turnovers led to 13 Seahawks points off 48 yards in offense. New Orleans also gave up 114 yards in penalties to 20 for Seattle.

Sound familiar? Fumbles, interceptions, penalties. The Saints gave away a game they clearly could have won, had they made fewer mistakes (or if Seattle had made more). Those things have a way of evening out.

I think the Cards get back to .500, and make those in attendance happy they braved the heat. Other than the Seahawks, that is, who'll be on IVs in the 4th quarter. 27-21, Cardinals.

WC

Holy cow, dejavue. I look forward to seeing a cleaner game this week. No way we put up that bad of penalty numbers and mental errors again.

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Who's Afraid of the Seahawks?

Originally posted by AzCards21
Holy cow, dejavue. I look forward to seeing a cleaner game this week. No way we put up that bad of penalty numbers and mental errors again.

Well crowd noise will not be a factor. For either team.

AzCards21

BANNED BY MODERATORS
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Who's Afraid of the Seahawks?

Originally posted by RedStorm
Well crowd noise will not be a factor. For either team.

Won't be from a lack of effort on my part! :D

RedStorm

Next NY Gov
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Who's Afraid of the Seahawks?

Originally posted by AzCards21
Won't be from a lack of effort on my part! :D

You go AC21:thumbup:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
All right, there are several ways to look at this matchup.

Way #1 (Kool Aid view):

The coaching staff steps it up and actually gameplans, or effectively carries out a game plan. Wouldn't that be nice for once?

Our offense is efficient. I'm not talking about yards. I'm talking about getting plays in and ready (whoever's fault it is), not having drive-killing penalties, etc.

Our defense plays how it did in preseason and not the way it did last week. We actually get pressure on Hasselbeck. We continue the good work in stopping the run. That sort of thing.

The special teams is somehow at least average (it would take a miracle, but who knows?)

Boldin is still good. Johnson plays well. Freddie doesn't disappear. Blake continues to throw well and eliminates those several stupid mistakes that cost us.

Under this (unfortunately unlikely) scenario:

Cards 28
Seahags 17

Way #2 (Darksider view):

None of these problems is fixed.

Our special teams continues to outright suck (very possible)

Quan gets keyed on and is shut down and BJ stinks up the field.

Our offense still looks confused pre-snap.

The defense continues to fail to get any kind of pressure on the QB.

The run defense is exposed by a real rushing team.

Under this (somewhat more likely) scenario:

Seahags 38
Cards 13

Way #3 (Compromise view):

We fix some of our most glaring mistakes, but the little things that can be fixed/changed by the coaching staff once again fall by the wayside.

The penalties are gone but the special teams still looks abysmal.

The Quan has a decent but unspectacular game and BJ makes a few catches, but the passing game is nowhere near explosive.

We probably abandon the run too early (I hope last week does NOT set a pattern, because Sully deserves to be SHOT for abandoning the run, which was JUST starting to be effective).

Under this realistic scenario:

Seahags 27
Cards 21

I hate to say it but, based off what we know so far, Seattle is a better team than we are. We match up well with them, true, but they have a more solid talent base. Who do we play in week 3 again?

Seahawker

Reaction score
Re: Who's Afraid of the Seahawks?

Originally posted by Wild Card

WC

Here's a better link for you guys to review our performance.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/drivechart?gameId=230907026

Look at the 1st and 2nd quarters specifically.

The Saints did a whole lot of nothing, while the Seahawks erupted in the 2nd Quarter.

All those yards, T.O.P., first downs, etc. came in the 2nd half when the Saints were down by 21.

Yes we were outgained, but if you look more in detail to those numbers you could see that the Seahawk defense put the Saints offense in lockdown for the whole half. The only Saints scoring drive came after a penalty and really short punt by Tom Rouen. And when you start at the 43 with John Carney as your kicker...you don't have to go to far to get points.

Saints Drive Summaries
Start Time Time Poss. Drive Began # of Plays Yards Result
1st drive - Start at the NO 31 - 6 plays, 5 yards, Punt
2nd drive - Start at the SEA 43 - 9 plays, 27 yards, Made FG
3rd drive - Start at the NO 31, 3 plays, - 10 yards, Punt
4th drive - Start at the NO 14, 6 plays - 52 yards, Punt
This was when Horn got a big pass play off of Trufant, the only mistake by the rookie that half
5th drive - Start at the NO 30, 1 play - 5 yards, Fumble
6th drive - Start at the NO 20, 6 plays - 12 yards, Punt
7th drive - Start at the NO 39, 2 plays - 9 yards, End of half.

Seahawks First Half Drive Summaries
1st drive - Start at the SEA 13, 3 plays, -2 yards, Punt
2nd drive - Start at the SEA 23, 3 plays, 8 yards, Punt
3rd drive - Start at the SEA 35, 5 plays, 20 yards, Punt
4th drive - Start at the SEA 11, 8 plays, 89 yards, Rushing TD
5th drive - Start at the NO 37, 2 plays, 37 yards, Passing TD
6th drive - Start at the SEA 23, 9 plays, 77 yards, Passing TD

You see...when you look at it more, the Saints were dominated in the first half, and it turns out we had the game wrapped up afterwards. First Saints possession of the second half was a pick off of a zone blitz by Chike Okeafor. That led to a field goal and after that with a 24-3 lead we went into prevent mode.

Numbers don't tell the whole story here.

OP
OP
Skkorpion

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey, Seahawker, nice post and good argument. You are always welcome here.

What's the scoop on Jerramy Stevens (do I have that right?), your talented but troubled TE?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05