B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
Stepanovich first draft pick to reach deal with Cards
advertisement

Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Jul. 26, 2004 01:30 PM

Offensive lineman Alex Stepanovich, the Cardinals' fourth-round draft pick, has agreed to contract terms and is expected to sign the deal within the new few days, his agent said.

Stepanovich, from Ohio State, is the first of the team's seven draft picks known to have reached a contract agreement.

Financial terms were not released, but John Geletka, Stepanovich's agent, said the deal was comparable to what other fourth-round selections have received.

It's believed the contract is for three years, with the signing bonus likely between $350,000 and $400,000.

The 6-foot-4, 301-pounder played guard and center in college and will concentrate on center with the Cardinals. He's not expected to challenge Pete Kendall for the starting job.

Stepanovich was one of two offensive linemen drafted by the Cardinals. Nick Leckey, a fifth-round pick from Kansas State, also played guard and center in college. He will begin his pro career as a guard.

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
Cool :thumbup: I actually like Stepanovich. He's an f'n soldier too ;)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
And now we're seeing how a signing perks everyone up...progress is being made and it is now realized progress, even if it is "just" a 4th rounder.

I am very happy that someone has finally signed. Hopefully now, the domino effect will start.

TigToad

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
3 years

I would have liked to have seen more than 3 years on this guy, he's gunna be good. But I'm very happy to see that first signing down... hopefully, they will all just domino now :)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
Raise your hand if you wish our fourth rounder was Cedric Cobbs!

Anyway, good to see something happening.
:thumbdown

schel

This is our year!
Reaction score
CardShark said:
I'm hoping that's not a photo of Stepanovich! If it is "WE WAS ROBBED!" :D
Well, at least it looks like he has a lot more heart than our offensive linemen :D

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SECTION 11 said:
:thumbup:

c'mon... you know you do.....

Hey, I was on board with Stephen Jackson as a first round pick, but I'm not getting on the Cedric Cobbs wagon.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
TigToad said:
I would have liked to have seen more than 3 years on this guy, he's gunna be good. But I'm very happy to see that first signing down... hopefully, they will all just domino now :)

We in theory have him for 4 years since he will be a RFA when his contract expires.

spanky1

Reaction score
There it is folks.........the hang up with the lower picks has been because of contract length. The trend is for 3 yr deals vs. 4-5 yr. deals. Stephanovich is a key signing. We need him ready to go this year. Kendall is, as everyone knows unlikely to complete a full season health wise.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
spanky1 said:
There it is folks.........the hang up with the lower picks has been because of contract length. The trend is for 3 yr deals vs. 4-5 yr. deals. Stephanovich is a key signing. We need him ready to go this year. Kendall is, as everyone knows unlikely to complete a full season health wise.

It is also important to have him in on time since he missed most of the rookie training camp becuase his school year wasnt over yet. He would be way behind if not here on time for training camp.

spanky1

Reaction score
joeshmo said:
We in theory have him for 4 years since he will be a RFA when his contract expires.

joeshmo.

This is the most absurd post of your life............"in theory".......what the hell does that mean.......