Cards unlikely to be active in '08 free agency

abomb

Supporting Member
Reaction score
From Somers;

Contract talks on Cards' horizon
A two-game winning streak and a .500 record in November is pretty heady stuff for the Cardinals, who are accustomed to making off-season plans by now. While he is happy about his team's improvement, coach Ken Whisenhunt knows you don't throw a party in Blythe when Disneyland's the destination.

A coach's job is to focus on the highway's center line and get his team safely to the next stop. What's on the horizon is a concern for the guys down the hall who wear ties to work.

And they have plenty to occupy themselves.

A number of challenges await General Manager Rod Graves and his staff.

First, Graves wants to extend the contracts of linebackers Karlos Dansby and Calvin Pace. There hasn't been much, if any, movement in either case.

Dansby's agent, Kirk Wood, was in town Monday and Tuesday, but it was more of a courtesy call than anything else. He met with Graves and Whisenhunt on Tuesday and said the two sides will continue to talk through the rest of the season.

It's clear, however, that Wood doesn't appear in a rush to get a deal done now.

He has talked with the Cardinals since the beginning of the year about a new contract for Dansby. The team showed cursory interest until last month because it had concerns about Dansby's durability and willingness to play through nagging injuries.

Complicating the situation is the possibility the Cardinals could place the franchise tag on Dansby, severely limiting his options in free agency next spring.

Keeping Pace?
Meanwhile, the Cardinals and Pace's agent, Pat Dye Jr., remain curious about Pace's value. He's a hybrid outside linebacker and defensive end who has played well in 10 starts this year. Still, it's only 10 starts, and ascertaining Pace's exact value is a challenge.

Is he a pass-rushing defensive end? A strong side outside linebacker? It might take a few more weeks for the two sides to sort that out and pay him accordingly.

Even if those two deals are reached by the end of the year, Graves has more work ahead.

There is a good chance receiver Larry Fitzgerald will meet incentives clauses that will boost his 2008 salary in excess of $14 million. That's an untenable number for the Cardinals to fit under the cap, so they would like to extend Fitzgerald's current deal, which is set to expire in 2009.

Fitzgerald's base salary for 2008 is $1.089 million. But that will increase by $8.5 million because of bonuses: a $3.5 million incentive based on playing time and performance and a $5 million boost for making the Pro Bowl in 2005.

By meeting those goals, Fitzgerald could qualify for an additional $5 million bump. To earn that he needs either to be ranked in the top five in receptions over two consecutive seasons (2004 through '07) or be selected to the original ballot for the Pro Bowl this year.

The receptions clause will be hard to meet, because Fitzgerald missed three games in 2006 and finished with 69 catches. But barring injury, Fitzgerald could well make the Pro Bowl this year. He leads the NFC in receptions and is second in yardage.

If he earns that bonus, Fitzgerald's salary will increase to about $14.6 million.

Fitzgerald's agent, Eugene Parker, did not return phone calls, and Graves said addressing Fitzgerald's contract will be a priority.

"Obviously, he's under contract for two more years, but it will be our focus to try and get his number down to a more manageable number," Graves said.

But wait, there's more
The renegotiations might not end there.

Graves has done an admirable job in recent years of re-signing the team's more talented players, including receiver Anquan Boldin, safety Adrian Wilson and Darnell Dockett.

But the salary cap has increased $30 million since Wilson and Boldin re-signed in 2004 and 2005. Player salaries have escalated, and it's hard to imagine their agents won't be inquiring about new deals.

Graves had no comment about that, but he did say his off-season priority is keeping the Cardinals' core of players together.

"Ultimately, what it means for us is that we won't be as active (in free agency) as we've been last year and the previous year, simply because our focus is on trying to address our core," he said.

Taking care of everyone probably won't be possible this year. Fitting new deals for Dansby, Pace, Fitzgerald, Boldin and Wilson under the cap would take some grease and a shoe horn. In terms of dollars spent on actual bonuses, it's unlikely the Cardinals would spend that much in one year.

Those problems are a dot on the horizon now but will grow much larger in the months to come.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping Dansby is the best FA pickup of the season.

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Keeping Dansby is the best FA pickup of the season.

Keeping the core together is important and I'm fine with "not active" as long as that doesn't mean stagnant. The Cardinals can still use a player or two in places.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keeping the core together is important and I'm fine with "not active" as long as that doesn't mean stagnant. The Cardinals can still use a player or two in places.

I hear that.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would be happy with what you say.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I can't find the post but someone (I think abomb) pointed out that the Cards want to move Antrell to safety during the offseason. That could be bigger than any FA signing.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Taking care of everyone probably won't be possible this year. Fitting new deals for Dansby, Pace, Fitzgerald, Boldin and Wilson under the cap would take some grease and a shoe horn.

In terms of dollars spent on actual bonuses, it's unlikely the Cardinals would spend that much in one year.

First part quoteed just wouldnt be true considering Fitz 15 Mill cap amount would by cut in half minimum with an extension. That alone would make it work for all 4 under the cap. Thats not even to mention fewer incentives and bonuses for Matt since he didnt play this year and same for Rolle who didnt get as much playing time. Now take into account they will be making decisions on Gandys sky rocket cap figure to 7 Mill, Berrys inflated 4 Mill, and Ross inflated 4 Mill. One more thing to take into account, we wont have a top 10 pick, that alone will save maybe up to 2 Mill next season. There is plenty of manuverablity concerning our Cap especially considering the roster bonuses we gave last offseason and not having them count towards this season. Not sure why that first part of the quote was stated we will have plenty of cap space to manuver with.

Its the second part of the quote that is the exact reason for the article. It was sort of just thrown in as an afterthought but is the biggest and most telling line of the whole article. New bonuses for Dansby, Pace, Fitzgerald, Boldin and Wilson will cost a ton of up front money(not cap purposes but out of pocket cash). Thats 50 Mill. in signing bonuses minimum, all of which have to be paid right away from out of pocket costs, works under cap pruposes since it can be spread out over the lives of the contracts, but I am not sure how it works under yearly budget the Cards have.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

Agreed, not active was a wrong choice of words IMO.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I can't find the post but someone (I think abomb) pointed out that the Cards want to move Antrell to safety during the offseason. That could be bigger than any FA signing.

Wiz stated it during Training camp that he would give Rolle a good shot at Safety if we had more depth at CB. Will probably be the same thing this next offseason. If we get depth at CB in the offseason Rolle will probably switch. We dont get that depth needed then he stays where he is at probably.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Wiz stated it during Training camp that he would give Rolle a good shot at Safety if we had more depth at CB. Will probably be the same thing this next offseason. If we get depth at CB in the offseason Rolle will probably switch. We dont get that depth needed then he stays where he is at probably.
I hope we get some depth. Holt has been mediocre at best and a first round CB (Antoine Cason, Malcolm Jenkins, Terrell Thomas, Mike Jenkins) would be nice since we have decent depth but no real #1CB.

RonF

Per Ardua Ad Astra
Reaction score
I hope we get some depth. Holt has been mediocre at best and a first round CB (Antoine Cason, Malcolm Jenkins, Terrell Thomas, Mike Jenkins) would be nice since we have decent depth but no real #1CB.

Based on the short half-life of NFL QBs, we sure could use another rookie in the fold besides a CB.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Based on the short half-life of NFL QBs, we sure could use another rookie in the fold besides a CB.

Two young QB's sound like trouble. Assuming Leinart progresses, I'd prefer he be paired with a more experienced backup (ala Warner) for the next several years.

Goodyear Card

Link Guy
Reaction score
This type of article pisses me off. Boldin and Wilson don't need new deals this off season. Maybe during next season. Fritz's contract can be redone. Pace needs to re-signed but he is tweener. He is not an OLB or a DE. He has had one good season. No reason to break the bank. Players to be cut. Ross, Berry, Ship, Gandy and Holt. That should free up about $20m. We still need players for the OL, CB and a fricking TE.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This type of article pisses me off. Boldin and Wilson don't need new deals this off season. Maybe during next season. Fritz's contract can be redone. Pace needs to re-signed but he is tweener. He is not an OLB or a DE. He has had one good season. No reason to break the bank. Players to be cut. Ross, Berry, Ship, Gandy and Holt. That should free up about $20m. We still need players for the OL, CB and a fricking TE.

In my opinion, you can not lose Pace and Berry in the same off-season. I don't think we are going to find someone in the open market that will come in and fill what Pace has done this year. I believe that Pace has earned an extension, I wonder if he is willing to come back though. If I were him I would consider testing the market. I wonder if he has any bad blood with management since they kept part of his signing bonus due to the time missed from an arm injury.

So, if we are going to be quiet in FA then we better be able to extend Pace and Dansby otherwise I think we take a big step backwards.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
This offseason will be a true test for Graves.

How much would cutting Berry and Holt will save?

Redoing Warner's contract does not seem likely based on what happenned this season. Had Leinart stayed healthy, it probably would have been easier.

Who else do we need to get rid of? Barr?

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Also, not being active in the FA is not a good signe. We really need a good corner. FS need can be eliminated by moving Rolle.

We also need a good experienced TE. Who can we target for mid range price?

I'm ok to go draft for Berry's replacement for OLB, since Chike will be back as a starter and should be moved to take over ROLB with Blackstock and draft pick backing up.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
IF we lock up all of those guys long term, Dansby, Pace, Boldin, Fitz, Wilson with long term deals. I am actually OK with this scenerio (none of which would break the bank) -

1. FA starting TE signed.
2. FA 3rd WR signed.
3. Add Hodel to the list of those to be re-signed.
4. FA starting Punter signed.
5. RFA's all Tendered.
6. More Depth.

Although I think we can do more by cutting/restructuring the likes of Berry, Ross and Shipp. But since we arent sure on that yet I will play this game as if they stay and are not restructured.

But we would have to do a really good job in the draft to make any leap into being a threat in the playoffs in 2008 not just making it. Cant get away with only 4 draft picks and a missed 3rd rounder in that scenerio.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, not being active in the FA is not a good signe. We really need a good corner. FS need can be eliminated by moving Rolle.

We also need a good experienced TE. Who can we target for mid range price?

Disagree on all these counts. Did the Niners get their money's worth their ridiculously huge FA contracts to good CB?

Okay, so you want a good experienced TE for mid-range price. Name him or them, please.

Philosophically, I prefer to build through the draft, then cherry pick FAs when the team is mostly sound.

Ask Redskins fans how well that other strategy works.

long_season

Veteran
Reaction score
Graves and Bidwill

This offseason will be a true test for Graves.

I think from Joeshmoes comment we will see if the bidwills are serious about funding a winning product on the field. Graves can only do with what he is given...may be why he still has a job, they think he has done enough with the amount they have given vs. what he originally requested.

Will be interesting.

crdnl85

Veteran
Reaction score
He said not as active,not that they would not be active at all.I would much rather they worked things out so we keep our core of players than bringing in new ones every year.In my opinion that has been one of the reasons our o-line has been so bad,not enough time playing together.I trust Graves,and Wiz to know what they are doing and to get it done.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disagree on all these counts. Did the Niners get their money's worth their ridiculously huge FA contracts to good CB?

Okay, so you want a good experienced TE for mid-range price. Name him or them, please.

Philosophically, I prefer to build through the draft, then cherry pick FAs when the team is mostly sound.

Ask Redskins fans how well that other strategy works.

can we ask the Patriots instead? It can work either way - we've already got a lot of good talent from the draft. Now is the time to cherry pick in a few spots - namely CB or OG. I see no reason why, with the amount of cap room that we have that we can't extend Dansby while getting a couple of solid depth FAs and one impact guy.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Skins have had a better record than us since Snyder took over, with multiple playoff appearances and wins. Sure, they haven't won anything of note, but they've won more than we have so I don't think it makes much sense to bash what their owner has done compared to our strategy which hasn't proven to work over the same time span.

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Oh, and I'm pretty sure the Skins have had a better record than us since Snyder took over, with multiple playoff appearances and wins. Sure, they haven't won anything of note, but they've won more than we have so I don't think it makes much sense to bash what their owner has done compared to our strategy which hasn't proven to work over the same time span.

Plus the whole Redskins spending spree stuff was so over blown. Their contracts looked big becuase 75% of the total amount was to be paid to the player the last 2 years of the deal, most of those players never actually stayed on the team to reach that. First 2-3 years of their deals were all base veteran minimums. Redskins made their mistakes by just going after every FA without thought of if they fit in their system or not, they just went after names, and traded all of their draft picks away and had no young talent to grow with.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05