Cards unlikely to be active in '08 free agency

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
Disagree on all these counts. Did the Niners get their money's worth their ridiculously huge FA contracts to good CB?

Such a media overblown contract. 8 years 80 Million does not mean much until you look at the details. This year his cap figure was only 7 Mill off the top of my head. I wouldnt say that is a cap back breaker. It will though later on in his deal when he starts to hit the back loaded years.

Okay, so you want a good experienced TE for mid-range price. Name him or them, please.

TE's in general dont make that much in the first place. The average Top 5 thise season is 4.5 Mill. Thats with guys like Gonzalez and top 10 pick in later years of his contract Winslow inflating that number.

As for some good/above average experienced TE names -

LJ Smith of Philly.
Eric Johnson of NO.
Stephen Alexander UFA Denver Broncos
Bryan Fletcher UFA Indianapolis Colts
John Gilmore UFA Chicago Bears
Marcus Pollard UFA Seattle Seahawks
Ben Troupe UFA Tennessee Titans
Jermaine Wiggins UFA Jacksonville Jaguars
Kris Wilson UFA Kansas City Chiefs

Now that I researched it, it looks like a pretty nice year to need a FA TE.

Last edited:

CaptTurbo

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This type of article pisses me off. Boldin and Wilson don't need new deals this off season. Maybe during next season. Fritz's contract can be redone. Pace needs to re-signed but he is tweener. He is not an OLB or a DE. He has had one good season. No reason to break the bank. Players to be cut. Ross, Berry, Ship, Gandy and Holt. That should free up about $20m. We still need players for the OL, CB and a fricking TE.

Most of these guys stleoney during 5-11 years and now if they finish 7-9 or 8-8 they will want to be paid like superbowl MVP's. No thanks actually. Dansby finally came alive for what 4 games in a contract year? I dont think he even comes close to top 5 LB pay. Sorry.

This is the same forum with members that thought Ray Thompson deserved big bucks because he ade a few tackles on a pee-wee league talent level team.

Someone said he deserves more than Urlacher because he did more than him this year. Try looking at the span of years since they have been in the league. You dont get paid top 5 money for a few great games.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of these guys stleoney during 5-11 years and now if they finish 7-9 or 8-8 they will want to be paid like superbowl MVP's. No thanks actually. Dansby finally came alive for what 4 games in a contract year? I dont think he even comes close to top 5 LB pay. Sorry.

came alive in a contract year? Dude had 8 sacks and 2 FF last year while dinged up most of the year, had 4 sacks, 3 picks for (2 for TDs), 2 FF and 5 passes defended two years ago and had 5 sacks, 1 pick and, 1 FF and 5 passes defended as a rookie. All the guy has done is make BIG PLAYS throughout his entire career, even though for most of it, he's been surrounded by rubble.

This is the same forum with members that thought Ray Thompson deserved big bucks because he ade a few tackles on a pee-wee league talent level team.

Comapring him to Ray Thompson just doesn't speak well to your talent evaluation swd. Dansby had as many sacks, interceptions and FF in his ROOKIE year that Ray had in his last THREE YEARS with us. Bringing up Ray Thompson as evidence of people over-rating Dansby just doesn't make you look good, especially since those people who are pimping Dansby the most are pretty much the same people who thought Ray was a joke (like me).

Someone said he deserves more than Urlacher because he did more than him this year. Try looking at the span of years since they have been in the league. You dont get paid top 5 money for a few great games.

I really can't imagine that you watch this defense if you think all Dansby's done is played a few great games and all of them have come this year.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I would be really interested to see this offense run if we had a reliable 3rd wide receiver. Like a Bobby Engram type player

I'm happy to see Bryant Johnson go, he'll get picked up somewhere and maybe he'll flurish if he's a first option. No QB has ever had confidence in him during his stay here

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A team need to decide who their core players are. On defense I think it's safe to day our core players are Dockett, Dansby, Hayes, and Wilson. You re-sign Dansby unless you have a plan to replace him with somebody as good or better , which will cost a bundle. So , just re-sian the guy and keep the core together.
Pace has a little less leverage and could be replace if he prices himself out of the market. I would really like to keep him because of continuity and knowledge of the system rather than bringing somebody else in who would have to learn it.
Wilson is under contract and will have to wait his turn to renegotiate , perhaps around this time next year.
The same goes for Boldin. Fitz will be extended unless he just doesn't want to be here, which isn't the case. Gandy will NEVER see 7m next year. Either he settles for a reasonable amount or he will be gone.

Bryant Johnson can be replaced. If the Cards decide to let him go , they need to look for a burner who can really stretch the field.

We also may see the last of a player like Shipp, Berry, and Ross.

I really don't care if the Bidwill's have to pony up 50 mil to keep these players. They can no longer cry poor mouth because we are now a top flight organization and that comes with the territory. This club can now do anything it wants to and there is no reason not to , ESPECIALLY if we make the playoffs this year.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hey aslong as we resign Dansy to a nice fat contract then its okay with me got to keep our core togather :) Well

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
Disagree on all these counts. Did the Niners get their money's worth their ridiculously huge FA contracts to good CB?
Niners have other huge issues like offense... that is a dysfunctional organization right now.

Okay, so you want a good experienced TE for mid-range price. Name him or them, please.
I don't know. Kind of put it out there as a question if anyone has suggestions. Certainly we can do better than the scrubs we have on our team. I like Pope but he has long ways to go, may be another couple of years. I would like to get rid of the rest.

EDIT: See Joeshmo's list... Thanks, Joe!

Philosophically, I prefer to build through the draft, then cherry pick FAs when the team is mostly sound.

Ask Redskins fans how well that other strategy works.
I don't mind building thru the draft but in this time and age, it is not enough. Draft picks take time to develop and we need to win NOW! It is a matter of playing smart in the FA, going after 2-3 key players that are better than what we currently have but also will not break the bank. Also depends on how we do the contract, goes back to being smart.

Last edited:

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
In deference to Skorp, I won’t bother to comment on a GM deciding his off-season strategy this early. It’s also early to guess who should stay and go because so many of these players have never been in a playoff run. It will be important to see who will rise to the occasion.

A few things seem likely to me. The way the NFL works, some team will overpay Pace if he’s not re-signed before he becomes a free agent. Hopefully, it won’t be the Cards. He’s played well, but not so well that I would mark him “sign at any cost.” The loss of Dansby would be devastating and I do not believe he can easily be replaced. His injury history is a concern, but impact players have to be retained. I think Berry is gone unless he wants to re-sign for substantially less money. His injury history and performance drop are just too much to accept at this current rate of pay. He might want to finish what he started and stay. He’s a good leader and gives whatever he has. Ross would have to take a pay cut and it's likely someone else will take a chance on him.

It will be interesting to see if Fitzgerald really wants to stay. I can’t tell. Whisenhunt will not be one to boost stars to prominence. The team comes first. I just can’t tell if Fitz agrees with that thinking.
I don’t know how others see this team, but I see weakness at TE, OL, CB, DE, WR as well as a general lack of depth. It’s hard to imagine fixing that all in a draft.

Almost all teams now have a dedicated “capologist.” I’m not certain the Cards do. One of the keys to making this work is that in some seasons, substantial cash outlays are needed. Now that Cards’ revenue is substantially improved, it will be interesting to see if ownership is serious about rewarding Arizona for its investment.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This type of article pisses me off. Boldin and Wilson don't need new deals this off season. Maybe during next season. Fritz's contract can be redone. Pace needs to re-signed but he is tweener. He is not an OLB or a DE. He has had one good season. No reason to break the bank. Players to be cut. Ross, Berry, Ship, Gandy and Holt. That should free up about $20m. We still need players for the OL, CB and a fricking TE.
Me too. Not that if Kent didn't write it, someone else would anyway. I hate it because we're in a playoff hunt battle, and this sort of stuff threatens to be a distraction.

That said - I hope (and assume) that the way Rod and the Cardinal staff will approach the off-season will be to (a) set up a chart with all current players listed according to roster positions. (b) add free agents of interest to each roster position. (c) evaluate both current players and free agent prospects as part of one group according to a set of criteria (including value to the team, estimated compensation-hit, knowledge of Cardinal system, team chemistry, likelihood of signing, age/durability/potential etc.)

Once the exercise is completed, Rod & Co. will have organized enough data to establish some priorities and to assemble a plan for signing the guys we want/need (both on the roster and off).

In some cases, it may be painful (i.e. we might sacrifice a really good pass rusher in order to sign a top-flight tight end - if that's the way the priorities dictate). But if implemented well, our football team should be better in the end.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In deference to Skorp, I won’t bother to comment on a GM deciding his off-season strategy this early. It’s also early to guess who should stay and go because so many of these players have never been in a playoff run. It will be important to see who will rise to the occasion.

I agree that the timing was pretty odd. These statements are more typical of what you hear in January or Febuary after the season is over. But, since some of those deals he was talking about will not happen quickly, if at all, he can adjust if circumstances (like Pace sucking down the stretch) says he needs too.

A few things seem likely to me. The way the NFL works, some team will overpay Pace if he’s not re-signed before he becomes a free agent. Hopefully, it won’t be the Cards. He’s played well, but not so well that I would mark him “sign at any cost.” The loss of Dansby would be devastating and I do not believe he can easily be replaced. His injury history is a concern, but impact players have to be retained. I think Berry is gone unless he wants to re-sign for substantially less money. His injury history and performance drop are just too much to accept at this current rate of pay. He might want to finish what he started and stay. He’s a good leader and gives whatever he has. Ross would have to take a pay cut and it's likely someone else will take a chance on him.

I agree with this, except I think Ross is likely to be cut too.

It will be interesting to see if Fitzgerald really wants to stay. I can’t tell. Whisenhunt will not be one to boost stars to prominence. The team comes first. I just can’t tell if Fitz agrees with that thinking.
I don’t know how others see this team, but I see weakness at TE, OL, CB, DE, WR as well as a general lack of depth. It’s hard to imagine fixing that all in a draft.

Fitz is making insane money here, and would simply make a ton more with an extension. He's quite likely to make the Pro Bowl for the second time, which is the only honor, and exposure, he seems to care about. If he wants to bolt, it's two more seasons before he can.

Almost all teams now have a dedicated “capologist.” I’m not certain the Cards do. One of the keys to making this work is that in some seasons, substantial cash outlays are needed. Now that Cards’ revenue is substantially improved, it will be interesting to see if ownership is serious about rewarding Arizona for its investment.

By saying we won't be active in free agency, I think Graves is letting us know that we will pay the bonuses much like we did this last offseason. That is, shoving most of it onto the current year. That allows them to pay big money bonuses while keeping total salary output level.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

In some cases, it may be painful (i.e. we might sacrifice a really good pass rusher in order to sign a top-flight tight end - if that's the way the priorities dictate). But if implemented well, our football team should be better in the end.
[/quote]

More than reasonable to assume there is a certain level of order and organization behind the doors. Whatever active "means" or does not mean I don't know....but it will be fair to assume whatever money is spent it will be on someone we need. Last year everyone agreed the number one priority was to improve of OL. This year I believe we are going to see a wide variety of what the fans think the number one issue will be...not our style but Dansby will be franchised if not signed...similar to the Briggs issue here.

A case can be made for

SuperSpck

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

Is there an interview that I missed?

Not being disrespectful, nor trying to pick a fight, just looking for some reference/understanding.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05