Castle (ABC)

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
A great example of this is Smallville, although the last season and a half or so was much better than the previous 4 seasons. Part of that is because they finally started progressing with the "becoming Superman" thing. But there is still a chance for great shows that got mediocre to go out on a high note. Everything I read is that Supernatural is starting to get back to that "better" place this season.

You know, I never did catch Smallville.

Eh, Supernatural hasn't been awful this season. This is why I still watch it. Not great like many seasons ago, but not bad. Enough to keep watching. I loved the car episode this week, though. Very well done.

Passepartout

July 4th Fireworks
Reaction score
Supernatural IMHO needs to be cancelled. As well as other shows that go way past their expiration date. They have seen their best years.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Supernatural IMHO needs to be cancelled. As well as other shows that go way past their expiration date. They have seen their best years.

What other information to you base that on? And how long has it been since you've seen an episode?

Just because something has been on a long time doesn't always mean it "needs" to be cancelled.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What other information to you base that on? And how long has it been since you've seen an episode?

Just because something has been on a long time doesn't always mean it "needs" to be cancelled.

What?!?! Supernatural has been awesome! What the hell? My biggest complaint? The cheesy let's bring John Winchester back in his younger self crap. Honestly, freaking bring back Jeffrey Dean Morgan. The show doesn't want to move on from the character because they bring him up multiple times each season. It's pissing me off. Either use Jeffrey Dean Morgan or don't bring up John Winchester. Jeffrey Dean Morgan has repeatedly stated he wouldn't mind returning and that he feels that story was never finished.

They way they keep handling the character is a weak attempt at pacifying fans that want to see the character return.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
What?!?! Supernatural has been awesome! What the hell? My biggest complaint? The cheesy let's bring John Winchester back in his younger self crap. Honestly, freaking bring back Jeffrey Dean Morgan. The show doesn't want to move on from the character because they bring him up multiple times each season. It's pissing me off. Either use Jeffrey Dean Morgan or don't bring up John Winchester. Jeffrey Dean Morgan has repeatedly stated he wouldn't mind returning and that he feels that story was never finished.

They way they keep handling the character is a weak attempt at pacifying fans that want to see the character return.

I still want to see some more resolution on the Michael and Lucifer in the box thing. Adam might not have been the best character and story point, but he's part of the mythology and now his body is just languishing in some cage in hell?

Matt L

formerly known as mattyboy
Reaction score
Interesting discussion, but you see that in a majority of long-running shows. Every so often you'll get a MASH, or a Cheers, or a Seinfeld that was consistent the entire run (is it any coincidence that thy are all 30m comedies?), but my favorite show of all time had a lackluster last 2 seasons, and Lost gets a lot of flack for it's final seasons, so even the best hour-long shows have problems, usually in the later years. But it is so hard to find an hour-long drama that is consistently good from start of their run to the finish. I wonder if a show like Breaking Bad has an advantage because it was able to be more free in its restrictions, especially language and violent content.

Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite show of all time?

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Castle cancelled after Season 8. The final episode airs Monday. Speculation is that backlash from the fans for letting Stana Katic & Tamala Jones go over budgetary reason pressured the studio to cancel Castle verses let it go on without them (especially Stana Katic) as originally planned.

They did film two endings for Season 8 but this late reversal to cancel the show instead of letting it continue is leading to speculation they may not be able to show the alternate ending originally intended to be used if the series ended. Instead the one we might see is the one that assumes Castle is returning for Season 9.

I hope that is not true. That would be a horrible send off for fans.

http://tvline.com/2016/05/12/castle-cancelled-season-9-beckett-stana-katic/

Stout

Reaction score
Castle cancelled after Season 8. The final episode airs Monday. Speculation is that backlash from the fans for letting Stana Katic & Tamala Jones go over budgetary reason pressured the studio to cancel Castle verses let it go on without them (especially Stana Katic) as originally planned.

They did film two endings for Season 8 but this late reversal to cancel the show instead of letting it continue is leading to speculation they may not be able to show the alternate ending originally intended to be used if the series ended. Instead the one we might see is the one that assumes Castle is returning for Season 9.

I hope that is not true. That would be a horrible send off for fans.

http://tvline.com/2016/05/12/castle-cancelled-season-9-beckett-stana-katic/

I'm not surprised, after all I've read. The show was already a mere shadow of what it used to be, and after this latest fiasco...well, let's just say that Fillion's comments made him sound very *******, not at all in line with his reputation to date.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised, after all I've read. The show was already a mere shadow of what it used to be, and after this latest fiasco...well, let's just say that Fillion's comments made him sound very *******, not at all in line with his reputation to date.

What comments? I read his response to her departure. I didn't have a problem with it. By the way, it was probably ready to go. My wife and I still enjoy the show but neither of us wanted to see it continue without a main cast member.

Stout

Reaction score
What comments? I read his response to her departure. I didn't have a problem with it. By the way, it was probably ready to go. My wife and I still enjoy the show but neither of us wanted to see it continue without a main cast member.

Just different things my friend pointed out to me a while back.

“Castle has been one of the greatest joys of my creative life, and I hope the show continues on for years to come,” he tweeted.

Some fans cannot help but read between the lines of the tweet. They pointed out that it was Fillion’s subtle way of saying that Castle can and will go on without Stana Katic. With the actress gone, the show will reportedly focus more on the case-of-the-week format. It was said that the producers wanted to deviate from the love story angle.

Here's the story it came from:

http://www.inquisitr.com/3021600/st...rs-believe-series-will-go-on-without-beckett/

And apparently they couldn't stand each other:

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...n-feuding-attended-couples-counseling-w203196

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score

“Castle has been one of the greatest joys of my creative life, and I hope the show continues on for years to come,” he tweeted.

Some fans cannot help but read between the lines of the tweet. They pointed out that it was Fillion’s subtle way of saying that Castle can and will go on without Stana Katic. With the actress gone, the show will reportedly focus more on the case-of-the-week format. It was said that the producers wanted to deviate from the love story angle.

http://www.inquisitr.com/3021600/st...rs-believe-series-will-go-on-without-beckett/

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...n-feuding-attended-couples-counseling-w203196

Of course he said that! It's all marketing. Come on.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was freaking PISSED that they let Stana go and I was not going to watch Castle if it returned. Screw that douchebag Fillion (yes, I believe alllllllll the rumors). Stana was so graceful in her response. Favorite character of the show, hence why I was so pissed.

Honestly, the show should have ended last season. I liked the finale with all the characters around the table. I will use that as my official ending, not this season.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

A few things. That sounded more like a PR statement because he is under contract for a 9th season. I didn't take it as a shot whatsoever. Second, Stana Katic has already denied the stories that she has any issues with Nathon Fillion. Plus keep in mind they also let Tamala Jones go as well which seems to indicate this was all about budget and declining ratings.

The other actors as well made similar statements about the show going on as well as the Producers before the studio about face. Simply put it's a juicer story for tabloid fodder if you make it about the leads.

Maybe there was tension from time to time but I think that is normal. All the actors he has worked with over the years have said nothing but great stuff. Many have jumped at the chance to act with the guy on Castle from his previous show. If he was such a bad guy, the thing about Hollywood is that it always comes out.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
ABC cancelled it yesterday. Monday will be the series finale, which they shot as a second version just in case.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
ABC cancelled it yesterday. Monday will be the series finale, which they shot as a second version just in case.

Don't know if there is any truth but there was a rumor that they originally planned to show the version where the show would continue and because of the late reversal by the network it might be too late to show the other series finale version.

It's probably just unsubstantiated rumor but I hope that's not true.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Don't know if there is any truth but there was a rumor that they originally planned to show the version where the show would continue and because of the late reversal by the network it might be too late to show the other series finale version.

It's probably just unsubstantiated rumor but I hope that's not true.

Yeah I heard that too, but I heard as long as 2 weeks ago that they already had 2 different versions shot, so I'm not sure why they couldn't show one of them.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I heard that too, but I heard as long as 2 weeks ago that they already had 2 different versions shot, so I'm not sure why they couldn't show one of them.

Yep, I heard the same thing which made that rumor seem strange. The only thing I can think of is they were convinced the show would go next season and didn't do all of the post production work for the series finale version? You would know better than I how long that would take if that is true. Could they complete that in just days prior to airing?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Yep, I heard the same thing which made that rumor seem strange. The only thing I can think of is they were convinced the show would go next season and didn't do all of the post production work for the series finale version? You would know better than I how long that would take if that is true. Could they complete that in just days prior to airing?

Only thing I can think of is that they shot stuff for the series finale but didn't actually cut it together until they found out they were being cancelled, which is pretty short notice.

But even then, if you have and EDL (edit decision List) that will pretty much match 90% of what you've already done, it could be a pretty fast turnaround. You'd only have to edit a few minutes, not the entire show because the original version was already edited--you just need a few changes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
guess they could just have Kate and Castle get into a car chase/gun battle,...and when they try and take a corner they roll the car and fall over a cliff...that would end it...

more likely they will retire to Castle's place in the hamptons instead...

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice deleted post, Chaplin.

Bye bye Castle. It was a fun ride!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
guess they could just have Kate and Castle get into a car chase/gun battle,...and when they try and take a corner they roll the car and fall over a cliff...that would end it...

more likely they will retire to Castle's place in the hamptons instead...

My wife would be PO beyond imagination. LOL. Although the sadistic side of me thinks that ending would be fun.

I just want a decent send off for the characters.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05