Center prospects for the veteran's minimum

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
IF the Clips don't match the Suns' offer to Q-Rich, they'll have spent all their FA money; but they still need a body at center, and preferably one who's tall and/or thick and strong, since that's what they're lacking in their current center rotation of Voskuhl, Lampe and Vroman.

Here are the FA centers who might still slip through the cracks:

Almost no chance:

Brian Skinner: no point in even discussing him. I just wanted to make that clear right now. ;)

Jake Tsakalidis: he was horrible for the Grizzlies last year, but I don't see them abandoning Big Jake completely, unless they find a better big center to take his place.

Robert Traylor: another guy who should get at least some interest, since he was effective in limited minutes last year. If the Suns had $2m left, this could easily be their guy.

Chris Anderson: I bet even the Nuggets would take him back for more than the vet's minimum.

Corie Blount: the price may be right, but I bet there's still bad blood between Blount and the Suns' front office.

Robert Archibald: it would take some 'splainin to get Archibald back. He seemed happier in Toronto anyway.

Possibly, but it's going to take some effort:

Zendon Hamilton: he's fallen through the cracks in Philly thanks to their enviable problem--too many quality bigs. He's old for a prospect (29) and has plenty of question marks, but he's played well in (very) limited minutes, and he might jump at an real opportunity for PT.

Oliver Miller: the Suns brought back Dice already, so why not? Miller's bulk might come in handy, but he seemed to eat himself out of shape by the end of last season, so there's definitely a risk. At least the Gorilla can break out his "Big O" costume if things go wrong again. ;)

Mikki Moore: a poor man's Marcus Camby, without the jumper. Played well in the NBDL and for Utah last year, though.

Scott Williams: might be the best option at this point, but other teams seem to like him as a scrub/assistant coach, too. If the Suns got him, they could have him shadow Karl Malone whenever they were playing Malone's team.

Mamadou N'diaye: Atlanta would probably match a minimum offer, so it might come down to expected PT.

There for the taking:

Amal McCaskill: poor man's Zendon Hamilton.

Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje: useful for target practice.

Sean Rooks: he's got to be useless by now, right?

Alton Ford: still waiting for a call.

:shrug:

Dave64

Veteran
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Yuck. None are better than little Jake.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Dave64 said:
Yuck. None are better than little Jake.

...which is why little Jake is making more than the vet's minimum. :)

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
There's no point paying someone a million dollars just to sit on the IR.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
What about our rookie we got? Can he play Center?

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
elindholm said:
There's no point paying someone a million dollars just to sit on the IR.

We're talking $600k, tops. :p Besides, the Suns aren't so poor anymore that they can't afford to carry 13 or 14 guys...

I wouldn't mind seeing Scott Williams in the same role as last year (i.e. coach/confidante/player), and I wouldn't mind seeing Zendon Hamilton, either. Those of you who love Mark Blount, my guess is that you'll like Zendon Hamilton, at least a little bit.

Ales Chan probably screwed up by playing for the Knicks in summer league--he's got a better chance of sticking with Phoenix.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
If we have enough cap room left I would say bring in both Robert Traylor(5/4 in 11 min's) and Jake Tsakalidis(4/4 in 12 min's per game) for the vet min for 1 year...

That would give us some BIG bodys and about 9 points & 9 boards per game from the 5 spot not including little Jake. Its better than we got now.

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Remember when I said the Suns had no chance at Brian Skinner?

Skinner signs with Philadelphia: 5 years, $25m

The best part of this is, Zendon Hamilton and Amal McCaskill are in play, but at this rate, they'll each wind up with more than Jake Voskuhl is making.

Quentin Richardson must be kicking himself that he didn't hold out for another week or two. ;)

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
my god, $5M/year for brian skinner? i'm in the wrong profession, and too short.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe the Suns are happy with Voskhul and Lampe?

I am starting to get the opinion that their thought is to throw Lampe into the fire.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

I am starting to get the opinion that their thought is to throw Lampe into the fire.

okay, turning back to hoops, this is possible. i think it's somewhat dangerous, but no more dangerous than last season. i'd like to see what lampe's got instead of continuing to pin our hopes on potential.

Lars the Red

aka Thor, God of Thunder
Reaction score
From an athletic change of pace standpoint, I'd look at a guy like Mikki Moore. He can block shots, runs pretty good, and won't cost a fortune. We already have Jake and Lampe, why not take a guy that gives a completely different look.

loudandobnoxious

7 yrds olld
Reaction score
Lars the Red said:
From an athletic change of pace standpoint, I'd look at a guy like Mikki Moore. He can block shots, runs pretty good, and won't cost a fortune. We already have Jake and Lampe, why not take a guy that gives a completely different look.
.04 BPG???

Already 28, too.

dbUNIT16

Registered
Reaction score
Get the Tractor Trailor! Just the name is sick, plus he's huge. I know Jahidi was overpriced, but I liked him, but animal to get in there and push people around, I don't know why he hardly got any minutes, maybe he was too fat to stay on the court longer, idk.

sunsfn

Reaction score
Lars the Red said:

Moore played well for Utah the last part of the year. He had a pretty good game against the suns.

Should come cheap..... :shrug:

sunsfn

Reaction score
Chris_Sanders said:

I have been thinking the same thing and would not be unhappy with that.

They probably still need another center. Maybe Williams will be coming for ins.

Of course the way the suns are going, tomorrow they will probably trade for a starting center.

:shrug:

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
slinslin said:
Gambo said Rebraca or Scott Williams now for cheap.

I guess Rebraca might be OK--he's supposed to be a decent player (I don't know much about him).

As long as he doesn't die on the court, I guess we can't complain much, since we're talking about a minimum salary here.

sunsfn

Reaction score
F-Dog said:
I guess Rebraca might be OK--he's supposed to be a decent player (I don't know much about him).

As long as he doesn't die on the court, I guess we can't complain much, since we're talking about a minimum salary here.
--------------------------------------------------------------

Were you aware of this with that comment?

August 7, 2003
Rebraca's irregular heartbeat surgery called successful
Detroit Pistons center Zeljko Rebraca has undergone successful surgery to correct the irregular heartbeat that forced him to miss 50 games last season.

February 16, 2004
Pistons center suspended one game after scuffle
Pistons center Zeljko Rebraca was suspended for one game by the NBA on Monday for punching Sacramento's Brad Miller in the head Wednesday night. The league also fined forward Corliss Williamson $5,000 for committing a Flagrant 2 foul against Miller.

He is 32 and has never done anything that I can find.

I hate to say this but, Mikki Moore is better........

:(

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I'm not sure I've ever seen Rebraca play, but his stats look okay. Judging from his foul rate I'd guess he is a weak defender. Does anyone have any insights? For a cheap pickup, I imagine the Suns could do a lot worse.

And seriously, how cool would it be to have guys named Zarko and Zeljko on the same team? If only the Suns could trade Marion for Ilgauskas... :lol:

OP
OP
F-Dog

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
--------------------------------------------------------------

Were you aware of this with that comment?

August 7, 2003
Rebraca's irregular heartbeat surgery called successful
Detroit Pistons center Zeljko Rebraca has undergone successful surgery to correct the irregular heartbeat that forced him to miss 50 games last season.

February 16, 2004
Pistons center suspended one game after scuffle
Pistons center Zeljko Rebraca was suspended for one game by the NBA on Monday for punching Sacramento's Brad Miller in the head Wednesday night. The league also fined forward Corliss Williamson $5,000 for committing a Flagrant 2 foul against Miller.

He is 32 and has never done anything that I can find.

I hate to say this but, Mikki Moore is better........

:(

Well, I certainly didn't remember anything about Rebraca punching Brad Miller in the head! :D

Rebraca must have done something right at some point in the past, because he cut a pretty big check last year ($4m?) signed off on by the Genius, Joe Dumars. Of course, I have no idea what he's good at and whether he'll help the Suns if he can stay healthy and, you know, alive and stuff...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
The Suns could use someone who throws a punch if he needs to.

Rebraca was very effective as a rookie I remember. Never got much of a chance again after his surgery.

If healthy he is as good as Voshkul I would say.

Last edited:

NJYAJ09

Hall of Famer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Man, I know who we need Darko!

I'm gonna figure out a way to get darko, youll see. Then We'll have Zarko & Darko!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05