Chad Ford Chat

thegrahamcrackr

Reaction score
Here it is

Chad Ford: Hey everyone. Thanks for coming. Will take a few questions on the playoffs then spend the bulk of the time on the draft. Let's roll.

Rich (Richmond, VA): Hey, Chad! After the Pistons took care of business at the Palace last night, what are my chances of seeing a Dallas-Detroit final?

Chad Ford: Depends on which Pistons team shows up. If it's the one we saw last night, I think the Pistons will be fine. However, I'm concerned with their up and down play. They are playing with fire. The almost lost Game 6 to Cleveland and, had Miami made their free throws last night, that game would've been MUCH closer. I've been a believer in Detroit all year and am not going to bail on them now. But they're play has shaken my faith.

Jim (Det): Chad, there was an article today in a detroit paper saying that because of the rule changes that have taken away the clutching and grabbing the value of Ben Wallace has been diminished and that Joe Dumars may look to do a sign and trade with Toronoto for Charlie V, in order to get a more offensive minded forward. Do you think this could happen? Are there any other sign and trade possibilities for the Pistons?

Chad Ford: I think Detroit is in a tough position. Joe D loves Ben Wallace and for good reason. He's the heart and soul of the team. However, his effectiveness has diminished a little this year. Signing him to a huge contract extension takes away any flexibility to add to the team in the future. Joe is between a rock and a hard place here. I know he wants to keep Ben, but a sign-and-trade may make some sense, especially if the Pistons stumble on Friday.

LUIS (CC TX): I believe that the west can only win the championship if dallas advances to the FINALS, but do the suns have a chance against the pistons or heat?

Chad Ford: Dallas certainly, on paper, looks like they have the advantage over Miami. Detroit, I'm not so sure about. But we all thought Dallas had the advantage over the Suns and my feeling is that the Suns have outplayed the Mavs in general in the series. Don't count out Phoenix in other words. Great point guard, great coach, tiring style of play. I think they can win it all too.

Rich (Richmond, VA): I've followed Devin Harris since ESPN The Magazine did a profile on him when he was at Wisconsin. Do you think his performance in the playoffs this year is his "breaking out?" We saw it with Tony Parker the other year, is Harris the next premiere guard?

Chad Ford: Yes. I've always been a fan. He's not a pure point guard, but he can really do lots of things well. With the way the league is changing, guys like Harris should be the biggest beneficiaries. I think he's got a very bright future.

Jordan (Iowa): Are the Raptors going to trade away the top pick? Who are the teams looking to move to that spot?

Chad Ford: They're looking at it. But to do it, they'll ask a high price. Either another high pick and a prospect or an established NBA star. It's been a long time since the No. 1 pick has been traded. I think we've got a better than 50-50 chance it happens this year.

Jeff (College Park, MD): This is the weakest top of the draft in recent memory. Who goes 1-3?

Chad Ford: No it's not. It doesn't have a lot of guys with superstar potential -- no LeBron's or Tim Duncan's -- but there are lots of players with great upsides and a ton of guys in this draft who could be NBA rotation players.

My top three are Tyrus Thomas, LaMarcus Aldridge and Andrea Bargnani. I'm also a big Brandon Roy fan.

Jesse (Athens, GA):: What are the Hawks going to do with the number 5 pick? Do they reach for a PG or C, or do they go with yet another 6'8 swingman?

Chad Ford: Yeah, they're in a tough situation. There isn't a player where they pick that fits a need exactly. However, guys like Brandon Roy or Randy Foye could fit in the backcourt with Joe Johnson and some NBA guys are very high on Patrick O'Bryant. Also, while almost everyone in the league has Rajon Rondo ranked lower, I think he'd be a great fit in Atlanta and a guy who has a ton of upside. So ... they have options.

Jack(portland,ore): Do the Blazers like Morrison, Gay or Roy ?

Chad Ford: I think it looks like this for them:

1. Bargnani
2 Morrison
3. Roy

Kurt (Portsmouth, NH): Hey Chad, Doug Gottlieb suggests that Jordan Farmar could be the second PG taken, as high as Boston at #7. Please tell me this isn't true.

Chad Ford: Don't see it. I think Farmar is a definite first rounder, but see him in the 20s. I think if the Celtics draft a point guard it will be Marcus Williams or Rondo.

Liju Jenkins, NC: What's good, Chad? Big fan here. So what's the latest word on Rutgers' own Quincy Douby. I see him going as high as the lottery in some mock drafts.

Chad Ford: It's a tough draft to project. Lots of parity. Some NBA guys love Douby, some think he's too frail and undersized to be successful in the NBA. He's a first rounder, but it's tough to tell whether he goes in the teens or twenties.

Josh (Chicago): What do you think are the odds Chicago trades their #2 pick? Who might they get for it? Thanks

Chad Ford: I think it's for sale. John Paxson doesn't really need more young kids. He's got plenty. What he needs are some veterans to help push the Bulls to the next level.

I definitely think there's a chance for them to do something with their two picks and maybe a guard like Ben Gordon.

They'll probably make a pitch for guys like Kevin Garnett and Jermaine O'Neal.

Justin (PA): The Nets could use a shooter, who do you see them drafting? Maybe Douby?

Chad Ford: No, I think they'll take an athletic four and a good backup point guard.

I have Kyle Lowry and Alexander Johnson in my mock draft. I also think Jordan Farmar and Hilton Armstrong are options.

J.C. (San Francisco, CA): Who should the Warriors be looking at in the draft?

Chad Ford: I think they should trade out of the draft honestly. They have too many young guys. They need to move a few pieces and get some chemistry guys back. I'd try to package the No. 9 with either Mike Dunleavy, Troy Muphy or Derick Fisher.

Oz (D.C.): Chad, I keep reading the Wizards are interested in Armstrong from UConn. What kind of upside does he have and are there other names to keep in mind at #18? Thanks

Chad Ford: I never understood what the big deal was about Armstrong. He's was very up and down at UConn. He's got a good body, size and athleticism and I like that he plays hard, but he's a major project. With that said, I think he's worked out well and could be gone before the Wizards draft. Cedric Simmons of NC State is another possibility.

Brandon : Is there any talk of the Suns packaging their picks to move up in the draft? If they traded both picks how far up the ladder could they climb? and for who?

Chad Ford: I think they may try to move up and use Leandro Barbosa and the two picks to get up there. They love Barbosa but he's a restricted free agent in another year and the team can't afford to re-sign him and Boris Diaw. Better to get a rookie who doesn't make money for the next four years.

Mike (Philly): Chad, the Sixers are a mess. Please tell me what you think they will do with the 13th pick whether they trade Iverson or not.

Chad Ford: They too are trying to move up. 13 is a tough spot. Sounds like Samuel Dalembert is the bait. They need a point guard and an athletic power forward to replace Chris Webber. I think Marcus Williams would draw interest from them. I'm told Mardy Collins isn't an option.

Tom (Boston): I've seen mock drafts with Thomas falling to the Celtics at #7. Any chance of this?

Chad Ford: I can't imagine any scenario where that happens unless the kid gets hurt. The Bulls like him at No. 2. The Bobcats would look hard at him at No. 3. And I have to believe that if he slipped past that, there's no way the Wolves would pass on him. In a draft without a lot of upside, I just don't think teams are going to pass on Thomas. He's got too much potential.

Jason (Orlando): The "ShotDoctor" says orlando is looking to move up to the #4 pick to take Roy. Any truth to that? If so what would they have to give up?

Chad Ford: They should. Brandon Roy is the perfect fit for them. If they get Roy, I think the Magic are a dangerous playoff team next year. Love the combo of Jameer Nelson, Roy, Turkoglu, Dwight Howard and Darko. Love it.

Josh (Charlotte, NC): What does the Bobcats draft board look like in your opinion right now picking 3rd?

Chad Ford: I have them taking Morrison but I also think Rudy Gay is a real possibility. So is Brandon Roy. But from what I hear, it also looks like the Bobcats wouldn't mind trading down a bit and doing a two for one. Wonder if New Orleans, who has picks No. 11 and 15, might be interested.

Mark (Boston): Putting aside Marcus' extra weight (although I hear he came close to Delonte West's sprint record at the Celtics workout so it can't be that big of a deal), do you really think Rondo is better than Marcus Williams??? Did you watch the second half of the college season. Other writers, including Gottlieb, have said that Rando isn't even in William's league. What do you have against him?

Chad Ford: Two seperate questions really.

I've been hard on Williams because of his weight, but I was told he weighed in at 215 in Houston, so it's coming off. His agent's story that Williams didn't have as much time to prepare for workouts because of school seems very plausible. I've said repeatedly that he's the best pure point guard in the draft. I like him.

I think Rondo is a completely different player. If you only have seen him play at Kentucky, I agree that he looked pretty awful. However, pull tape of his performance at the Under 21s in Argentina this summer where he was the best player on the floor in a more open system. And then combine that with what I saw of him in a up-and-down 5-on-5 game in Chicago last week and I think Rondo's under rated. Put him on a slow down, half court offense and he'll be awful. Put him in an up-tempo type of game and I think he's got the potential to be very special.

Bottom line is that I like them both ... but they are very different players.

Keith (Grand Rapids): Why has Dee Brown fallen so far? After Illinois great season a couple years ago and his three ball I thought he was Iverson-esque. Is he a draft day steal?

Chad Ford: He's 5-foot-10 and he's more of a combo guard than a pure point. That's the only reason. Scouts love every thing else about him. If Earl Boykins can thrive in the league, so can Dee. I think he'll be a very solid second round pick.

Chris (New Orleans): Will the Hornets draft a big or will they go for a swingman to run with Chris Paul since J.R. Smith already has one foot out of the door? Also, any way they trade up in the draft?

Chad Ford: I think they'll do both. They'll go big at 11 with either Patrick O'Bryant, Cedric Simmons or Shelden Williams and then grab a swingman like Rodney Carney, Ronnie Brewer or Shawne Williams at No. 15. I think the Hornets' future is bright.

Christian (Dallas): What are PJ Tucker and Daniel Gibson thinking? Is there any chance Tucker gets drafted? Gibson's 2nd round at best, right?

Chad Ford: Tought to say. I just talked to an NBA exec who LOVES Tucker and thinks he's definitely a first rounder. I think he's a 6-4 power forward without a jump shot ... so no, I'm not that high personally. But it only takes one team to love a guy. Same for Gibson. He's gotten a bad rap this year, but he's a good player and would be a steal in the second round.

Matt (PA): Do you think Kyle Lowry is anything more than a backup PG in the NBA? He's 6-0 with great speed and toughness but no J.

Chad Ford: His J may not be great, but he did shoot 46 percent from the field and 44 percent from three. So he can't be that bad right. I love his energy and speed. I think he's the third best point guard in the draft behind Williams and Rondo. Though Farmar is also a contender for that No. 3 spot.

Citizen (World) : Chad, how many international players are in the first round. Bargnani is a lock but who after that?

Chad Ford: If Tiago Spliiter decides to stay (It's not looking good at the moment) he's in the top half of the draft. Others who have a shot at the first round include Mouhamed Saer Sene, Olexisy Pecherov, Thabo Sefalosha, Marcus Vinicius, Sergio Rodriguez. Rudy Fernandez and Brad Newley also have a shot.

Josh (Wilmington, DE): Any chance that the Nuggets get into the first round and solve their shooting guard issues...any chance on Roy? What about Roby?

Chad Ford: They're trying. They're obviously using Kenyon Martin as bait. Teams like the Raptors, Bulls and Hawks have the cap room to absorb his contract ... but do they really want to? I think the Knicks are the only team crazy enough to take on that contract.

MJ (CT): Why would Toronto be looking to deal Charlie V? Am I missing something?

Chad Ford: They like him. He just has a lot of trade value right now so you've got to explore things. Charlie's stock is high, but if you could get a Jermaine O'Neal or Pau Gasol for him you've got to at least look at it.

AJ: Chad - If I were Minn - I would ask for Chicago's 2nd overall pick, their other 1st rd pick, Deng, and Gordon for KG. You think that could get it done?

Chad Ford: If I was Kevin McHale, I'd do that deal in a heart beat. However, I can't see the Bulls essentially giving up 4 first round picks for Garnett. More likely would be the No. 2 and No. 16 picks and either Deng OR Gordon. I think I'd still consider it if I was the Wolves. I just don't see them going anywhere with KG next year. Sooner or later he's going to want out and his trade value won't be this high.

Isaac (Houston, TX): Shouldn't the Rox take Carney at #8. Shifting T-Mac back to the two should take some pressure off his back.

Chad Ford: Maybe. I think Carney is a little soft for Jeff Van Gundy's taste. I think maybe J.J. Redick, Rodney Carney or they go big and get Shelden Williams.

Chad Ford:

Jeff (Indy): Is Saer Sene the real deal? Sounds like an awsome prospect.

Chad Ford: He's a great prospect if you are willing to be VERY patient. He's going to take three or four years before he can produce. Most owner (and fans) don't have that type of patience.

Josh (OKC): Chad, Since you're an expert, you should know that the Hornets have the 12th pick and not the 11th which belongs to the Magic.

Chad Ford: My bad. You're right Josh.

Mike (Grand Rapids): Why is Reddick getting no hype? Being from Michigan, I'm not a huge fan of the Blue Devils, it just seems he's not getting the respect he deserves in most mock drafts...

Chad Ford: He's No. 8 on my mock which is actually higher than I think he should go. I think he'd be a good fit in Houston, but as a draft prospect, I think he's a mid first rounder.

Chad Ford: I've got to run everyone. We'll do it again next week from the Orlando pre-draft camp.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
LOL, he's expecting Splitter to drop out ... again. When will scouts wise up about this pretender?

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
From what I've heard it's his contract thats keeping him out.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
SunsTzu said:
From what I've heard it's his contract thats keeping him out.

Right, but that's been true for years, and every year there is hype that somehow this will be the summer that he'll find a way around it. What it really comes down to is that he isn't good enough to be guaranteed a high pick, so that reduces his motivation to overcome the logistical hurdles.

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It was my understanding that his team wouldn't allow him to buy out regardless of where he was picked and that they'll keep him until next year then let him buy out so they aren't left with nothing the following year. I've seen him play a few games on NBATV and while that may not be a large enough sample size I do think he'll be a productive player in the NBA.

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
How high would: Barbosa, #21, and #27 get the Suns though? If it gets the Team Aldridge, then I'll shut up but who else would be worth giving up that much for? Roy is ready to play, sure, but I just don't see him in the JJ class of Penny clones and Barbosa is good for around 15 PTS and IMO that #21 is good for a rotation player and you never know who slips to #27... and and and lol

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05