Chad Ford mock draft

sunsfn

Reaction score
Chad Ford mock draft.
-------------------------------

TEAM PLAYER POS HT WT SCHOOL/COUNTRY
1. Orlando Emeka Okafor F 6-10 250 Connecticut
2. L.A. Clippers Dwight Howard C 6-11 245 SW Atlanta Christian H.S.
3. Chicago Luol Deng F 6-8 220 Duke
4. Charlotte Josh Childress F 6-8 205 Stanford
5. Washington Martynas Andriuskevicius C 7-3 250 Lithuania
6. Atlanta Josh Smith F 6-8 220 Oak Hill Academy
7. Phoenix Devin Harris G 6-3 175 Wisconsin
8. Toronto Andris Biedrins F 6-10 235 Latvia
9. Philadelphia Andre Iguodala F 6-6 207 Arizona
10. Cleveland Shaun Livingston G 6-7 180 Peoria H.S. (Ill.)
11. Golden State Ben Gordon G 6-3 200 Connecticut
12. Seattle Kosta Perovic C 7-3 240 Serbia
13. Portland Pavel Podkolzine C 7-5 300 Russia
14. Utah Sergei Monya F 6-8 220 Russia
15. Boston Peja Samardziski C 7-0 240 Macedonia
16. Utah Tiago Splitter F 6-10 240 Brazil
17. Atlanta Kris Humphries F 6-9 240 Minnesota
18. New Orleans J.R. Smith G 6-6 210 St. Benedict Prep (N.J.)
19. Miami Jameer Nelson G 5-11 190 Saint Joseph's
20. Denver Kirk Snyder G 6-6 225 Nevada
21. Utah Rafael Araujo C 6-11 280 BYU
22. New Jersey Luke Jackson F 6-7 215 Oregon
23. Portland Sebastian Telfair G 5-11 170 Lincoln H.S. (Brookyn, NY)
24. Boston Dorrell Wright F 6-8 215 South Kent Prep (Conn.)
25. Boston Robert Swift C 7-1 260 Bakersfield H.S. (Calif.)
26. Sacramento Al Jefferson F 6-9 265 Prentiss H.S. (Miss.)
27. L.A. Lakers Sasha Vujacic F 6-7 205 Slovina
28. San Antonio Peter John Ramos C 7-3 275 Puerto Rico
29. Indiana David Harrison C 7-0 250 Colorado

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My Podkolzine call is looking better by the minute. I think it will come down to Perovic or him. However, we have a Perovic style player already.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Please no.
Those Euros all look like busts and none of them even close to an impact player.

I want to win next season not in 3 years. Rebuilding is all nice but if you get into that losing mentality like Golden State or Chicago it is tough to get out of it.

Podkolzine is for sure not going to be a Sun. He is a dud and nobody in the NBA is impressed with him anymore at all.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah nobody is interested in him anymore...that's why he is still projected as a lottery pick despite a flood of entrants.

I think you will be amazed come draft day.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
I actually like this mock, I watched Wisconsin play several times this year and Devin Harris is a stud. This kid reminds me of Gilbert Arenas and Dwayne Wade, though not quite as explosive as Wade, but he took over many games when he needed to and was a playmaker for others when his scoring wasnt needed... If I were the Suns Harris would be the pick if available...

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
I think you will be surprised what a dud Podkolzine is. I don't remember where I read that NBA teams aren't impressed with him but I did.

He couldn't get a lotto guarantee last year in a draft that severly lacked any size.

He hasn't develloped, he has health problems.

There are a bunch of much better prospects with almost the same size. Marty Vicious and Peter John Ramos for example. And Ha-Seung Jin or whatever his name is even.
If you want just size you would have to say that that Iranian dude is as good of a prospect because Podkolzine certainly isn't skilled. He is still a bench warmer on his team.

There are a lot of centers in this draft that I would take over Podkolzine.

Ramos, Andriuskevicius, Samardziski, Araujo, Swift, Aldridge....

Nbadraft.net has him at #16 and falling. He will fall even more before the draft.

Last edited:

PhxGametime

Formerly Bball_31
Reaction score
There was an article I read too, that most teams are no longer interested in Pavel - Devin Harris I'm really high on, had him rated higher than Gordon on my Draft rankings but I would like to know what happens to Vujanic?

Unless Chris_Sanders knows something we don't - I still would be disappointed in Pavel pick. Childress and Livingston I'm not as high on as others but I could live with those 2 players.

Okafor
Howard
Biedrins
Iguodala
Harris
Gordon
Deng
Andriuskevicius
Josh Smith

1 of these prospects and I'm happy.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BbaLL_31 said:
There was an article I read too, that most teams are no longer interested in Pavel - Devin Harris I'm really high on, had him rated higher than Gordon on my Draft rankings but I would like to know what happens to Vujanic?

Unless Chris_Sanders knows something we don't - I still would be disappointed in Pavel pick. Childress and Livingston I'm not as high on as others but I could live with those 2 players.

Okafor
Howard
Biedrins
Iguodala
Harris
Gordon
Deng
Andriuskevicius
Josh Smith

1 of these prospects and I'm happy.

I think there is a better than even chance that Harris goes before Gordon. He is more experienced at point guard and is a quality player. If the Clippers trade with Atlanta, he might go there.

At this point I have my fingers crossed that the Darko fiasco will keep teams like the Wizzards away from Biedrins. The fact that Biedrins would be much like Etan Thomas initially might convince the Wizzards to stay with the guy they already know. Let's hope.

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
George O'Brien & Biedrins

George ......... Why are you so obsessed with Biedrins going to the Suns?
Have you actually seen him play? I have not seen Biedrins or Martynas A.,
but everything I've read seems to point towards Martynas A. having a much
greater upside. You have continually mentioned Biedrins being taken in the
top of the draft. It sounds like there is a high probability that he will not only be available when and if the Suns pick at seven, but could even go a few
spots lower. I'm not so sure he is on the Sun's radar! I do believe that he is on yours!

Brett10S

Reaction score
I like this draft also, and I agree with the thought that we should stay away from the big foreigners. As graham more than anyone knows, I want an American in this draft (Gordon or Harris), not another project.

B-Dogg

Registered
Reaction score
Brett10S said:
I like this draft also, and I agree with the thought that we should stay away from the big foreigners. As graham more than anyone knows, I want an American in this draft (Gordon or Harris), not another project.

I agree there are alot more Jonathan Benders out there that are going to take years to develop, which should be taking place in college, rather than Amare's that can come in and contribute right away. All I can say is that I wish the NBA would institute an age limit like the NFL, go to school, stay overseas, develop your body and game before you play in the NBA and maybe we can return to the NBA game to what it once was...

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
sunsfn said:
If you did not read the posting I made on May 21 about Beidrens, you may want to. Scroll down to the May 21st or use this link.
-------------------------------------------
http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30530
--------------------------------------------

:thumbup:

There have been innumerable reports saying much the same thing. Four mock drafts have him earlier than the Suns:

HoopsHype: 6
Draftcity: 4
NBADRAFT.TK: 5
about: 5

Curiously enough, the guys that push the Andriuskevicius to the Suns rumor generally have him come after Andi:

collegehoops: 9
insidehoops: 11
nbadraft.net: 9

Hoopsworld uses four guys who give mock drafts: one has him at 6 while the other three at 11.

The factor that most of the people who rank him high is that he played against men (not under 18's) and performed quite well in the senior Euro League games.

Every profile is roughly the same: Biedrins is an outstanding rebounder and shot blocker. While athleticly he has been compared to Darko, his style is much more that of Kirilenko - except that he is much bigger. Like Kirilenko, he has extremely long arms and loves to block shots. Most important, he is very agressive and does not rely entirely on his size like some of the other Euros.
The reports I've read all say Biedrins is the most NBA ready of the Euros. Andriuskevicius may have more upside, but Biedrins should contribute his first year.

That being said, not every team is confortable with foreign players due to the language problems. Also, a lot of people perceive Darko to be a bust and teams may be unwilling to deal with the comparison. That is my hope.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
B-Dogg said:
I agree there are alot more Jonathan Benders out there that are going to take years to develop, which should be taking place in college, rather than Amare's that can come in and contribute right away. All I can say is that I wish the NBA would institute an age limit like the NFL, go to school, stay overseas, develop your body and game before you play in the NBA and maybe we can return to the NBA game to what it once was...

I agree,

Hey NBA......START A REAL MINOR LEAGUE ALREADY!!!!!! :bang:

:soapbox:

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chaplin said:
No point guards. Please. Waste of a pick.

how's that? If the best player available is a point guard, how is that a waste of a pick? Would you rather have someone like Baron Davis/Gilbert Arenas were a player who might be as good as Ilgauskus in 2-3 years? The Phoenix Suns need help in the frontcourt, but they were very weak at the point guard position last year as well.

I do believe the funds will draft with a preference for size, but if the best player available is a swingman or point guard they'll take him. Teams that draft for need get burned much more frequently than teams that just take the best player available.

SirChaz said:
I agree,

Hey NBA......START A REAL MINOR LEAGUE ALREADY!!!!!! :bang:

:soapbox:

I'm convinced that a minor league system really does very little to solve the problem unless there is an age limit. You're still going to have a lottery teams, the teams that need immediate help the most, stuck taking these young projects. How many of these top draft picks do you really think would be willing to play in a minor league? I imagine these teams will also be nervous about sending their top draft picks to risk injury in a developmental league.

Make a 20-year-old age limit. If the guy doesn't want to go to college you can play here in the developmental league or overseas somewhere. This would help the NBA immensely.

Do I hear an "amen"? :)

Joe Mama

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I'm convinced that a minor league system really does very little to solve the problem unless there is an age limit. You're still going to have a lottery teams, the teams that need immediate help the most, stuck taking these young projects. How many of these top draft picks do you really think would be willing to play in a minor league? I imagine these teams will also be nervous about sending their top draft picks to risk injury in a developmental league.

Make a 20-year-old age limit. If the guy doesn't want to go to college you can play here in the developmental league or overseas somewhere. This would help the NBA immensely.

Do I hear an "amen"? :)

Joe Mama

I think an age limit is fine but in conjunction with a developmental system. The system would have to allow teams to keep players thay drafted but "send them down" to the farm club to work with the franchises coaches and get some playing time. If a kid wants to go pro at 18 and spend 2 years (at least) "in the minors" then that is fine. College would be for players that really want to be there and be students.

The NBA would definitely improve the center play in the league because they would have the opportunity to develop big guys with out losing them due to roster size restrictions.

George O'Brien

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
how's that? If the best player available is a point guard, how is that a waste of a pick? Would you rather have someone like Baron Davis/Gilbert Arenas were a player who might be as good as Ilgauskus in 2-3 years? The Phoenix Suns need help in the frontcourt, but they were very weak at the point guard position last year as well.

I do believe the funds will draft with a preference for size, but if the best player available is a swingman or point guard they'll take him. Teams that draft for need get burned much more frequently than teams that just take the best player available.
Joe Mama

Actually this is the decision that the Clippers face. Dwight Howard is far better than any of the guards they might take, but he would struggle for minutes. His best position is PF, but the Clips have Elton Brand and an improving Chris Wilcox ahead of him. Chris Kaman is a real center, if still rather raw. So Howard would be fighting with Predrag Drobnjak for garbage minutes.

There are limits to BPA.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
George O'Brien said:
Actually this is the decision that the Clippers face. Dwight Howard is far better than any of the guards they might take, but he would struggle for minutes. His best position is PF, but the Clips have Elton Brand and an improving Chris Wilcox ahead of him. Chris Kaman is a real center, if still rather raw. So Howard would be fighting with Predrag Drobnjak for garbage minutes.

There are limits to BPA.

Actually the Clippers situation is quite different. First of all they will have opportunities to trade down and still get the point guard they want. Secondly, Howard might be the best prospect on the board, but that's debatable. At #2 a could still get a very good point guard prospect. The Clippers don't really need a big man. The Phoenix Suns do need a point guard.

BTW I've only watched him play in a couple games, but I was really not that impressed with Howard. There are at least 4-5 players I would take before him in this draft. It's not a good thing when the draft web sites that generally compare these young prospects to the greatest players in the NBA compare Howard to K. Brown. From what I saw, I would take Brown over him any day of the week.

Joe Mama

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:

How can you dare?

No PGs, No Iguodala.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
BTW on this board there is little buzz about Shaun Livingston. Am I the only one who is intrigued?

Doesn't we have probably 2 undersized SGs in Barbosa and Milos. Why not get a 2nd oversized PG along them?

Livingston seems to have some talents that simply can not be teached.

Great feel for the game, natural PG skills, great passing skills and his size and a entry passes in the post would be awesome with Amare.

He would probably not be anything more than a bench player in the first year until he gets physically stronger to guard SGs but there is something about him that has me excited about him.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
slinslin said:
BTW on this board there is little buzz about Shaun Livingston. Am I the only one who is intrigued?

Doesn't we have probably 2 undersized SGs in Barbosa and Milos. Why not get a 2nd oversized PG along them?

Livingston seems to have some talents that simply can not be teached.

Great feel for the game, natural PG skills, great passing skills and his size and a entry passes in the post would be awesome with Amare.

He would probably not be anything more than a bench player in the first year until he gets physically stronger to guard SGs but there is something about him that has me excited about him.

I wrote the other night that Livingston is my choice for bust of the draft. I just read ESPN Insider's scouting report on him. They said he is a very good shooter, but I'm not sure where they got that. Every other place says that his shot is very inconsistent. In the games I saw him play he shot poorly. He looked decent and creating offense, and there's little doubt that he has great passing skills.

I believe that defensively Livingston is going to be a liability. There's no way he's going to be able to guard faster, stronger point guards, and it's going to be a few years before there's a chance he'll be a will to guard NBA shooting guards. He is just not skinny. He is a bean pole. He is listed at 6'7" and 180 pounds. When I was his age I was 5'10" and 160 pounds, and I was pretty skinny. He would have to gain 20-25 pounds just to be about the same size as Tayshaun Prince (6'9", 215 pounds).

Joe

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Joe Mama said:
I wrote the other night that Livingston is my choice for bust of the draft. I just read ESPN Insider's scouting report on him. They said he is a very good shooter, but I'm not sure where they got that. Every other place says that his shot is very inconsistent. In the games I saw him play he shot poorly. He looked decent and creating offense, and there's little doubt that he has great passing skills.

I believe that defensively Livingston is going to be a liability. There's no way he's going to be able to guard faster, stronger point guards, and it's going to be a few years before there's a chance he'll be a will to guard NBA shooting guards. He is just not skinny. He is a bean pole. He is listed at 6'7" and 180 pounds. When I was his age I was 5'10" and 160 pounds, and I was pretty skinny. He would have to gain 20-25 pounds just to be about the same size as Tayshaun Prince (6'9", 215 pounds).

Joe

If Livingston's PG skills really are off the charts, then the rest of that stuff should take care of itself. If they aren't, then there's no point in paying him for a couple of years while he turns himself into Josh Childress part deux.

Since I said Tayshaun could play SG, it would be hypocritical of me to say that Livingston won't be able to play PG. On the Suns, he'd probably start out floating between PG and SG, in 2005 or whenever he's finally ready to play...

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
F-Dog said:
If Livingston's PG skills really are off the charts, then the rest of that stuff should take care of itself. If they aren't, then there's no point in paying him for a couple of years while he turns himself into Josh Childress part deux.

Since I said Tayshaun could play SG, it would be hypocritical of me to say that Livingston won't be able to play PG. On the Suns, he'd probably start out floating between PG and SG, in 2005 or whenever he's finally ready to play...

Tayshaun Prince is 35 pounds heavier than Livingston, and Prince is rail thin. He came into the league as an above-average defender and rather tough despite his small frame because he played power forward from the most part at Kentucky. Besides there's a big difference between guarding shooting guards and staying in front of point guards in the NBA.

BTW does anyone else think Livingston looks like the taller , skinnier brother of Andre Miller? :)

Joe Mama

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05