Channing Frye Out Indefinitely

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns today announced that forward Channing Frye will be sidelined indefinitely for medical reasons. Frye has developed a dilated cardiomyopathy, an enlarged heart. The condition was discovered during a screening echocardiogram conducted as part of a routine preseason physical by Suns team cardiologist Dr. Tim Byrne.

http://www.nba.com/suns/channing-frye-out-indefinitely

HooverDam

Reaction score
That stinks for Channing, I hope he gets well soon.

On the bright side, hey possibly more ping pong balls!

It also clears up some front court log jam issues and hopefully we'll see Beasley at the 4 a little, maybe playing there is what he needs to reach his potential even if he doesn't seem like a natural fit there.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hope Channing Frye has a successful recovery. Luckily the Suns appear to have some depth at PF including Beasley. However, I do worry about the Suns depth at center.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Hope he's OK.

They better find a replacement or the walking corpse of Jermaine O'Neal is gonna have to play some serious minutes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unless I'm confusing it with something else, this not only puts an end to his career it puts his life in jeopardy. The last I heard it was typically fatal within 3 to 5 years. I know that the average life span once you're diagnosed with ischemic heart failure has improved somewhat so maybe the same is true for non-ischemic CHF but regardless, it's got to be scary for Channing. Best wishes Mr Frye.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although it is too early to consider all the realities of the situation, I still can't help but think what happens if Frye can't play again and the salary cap ramifications. Also I wonder how player insurance works. Again, I hope this has a good ending for Frye.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Have lived with it for the last 5 years. Think it was caused by the Chemo that I took for my battle with Cancer a few years before that.

Currently my heart is back to normal size and it is pumping near normal. However I'm on heart meds for life most likely. These meds control your heart rate and therefore make you really tired when doing excessive physical activity. I was able to run my first 5K this year. Trying to get back in shape and strengthen my heart.

Hopefully since Channing is an elite athelete he can make a quick recovery. Could affect him for the rest of his life though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Dilated Cardiomyopathy. Have lived with it for the last 5 years. Think it was caused by the Chemo that I took for my battle with Cancer a few years before that.

Currently my heart is back to normal size and it is pumping near normal. However I'm on heart meds for life most likely. These meds control your heart rate and therefore make you really tired when doing excessive physical activity. I was able to run my first 5K this year. Trying to get back in shape and strengthen my heart.

Hopefully since Channing is an elite athelete he can make a quick recovery. Could affect him for the rest of his life though.

Just out of curiosity, do you attribute your enlarged heart to chemo in general or to a specific drug? I know that Adriamycin can damage the heart but it wouldn't surprise me to learn that it's a problem with a lot of the chemicals they pump in to us in an attempt to save our lives. Glad to hear your heart/EF has improved.

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If there is anything about Frye's situation that gives hope, it comes from his own mouth in the article written by Paul Coro dated 9-20-12 at azcentral. See link below.

"The good news is it is a virus so it does have a good chance of going away," Frye said. "My heart can be normal again."

Frye will be re-evaluated in December with the possibility of resuming basketball activities. Those activities could include anything from individual workouts to a chance at returning to the team.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/20120920phoenix-suns-channing-frye-enlarged-heart.html

I understand the Suns will be having a new conference on the matter in the next few days per Jude Lacava on local channel 10 news.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Really unfortunate for Frye, but hopefully he will recover and resume his NBA career at some point.

As for the Suns, it makes things difficult on a number of levels. If O'Neal misses a bunch of games, the Suns currently have no other option at center. I wonder if they will sign another player and carry 14 players this year.

Tucker seemed likely to be the odd-man out of the 12-man roster, but now he might actually get to dress up for games. Non-roster training camp invitees also may have something to scrimmage for now. So far only Solomon Jones has been mentioned. Will the Suns add a couple of bigs to training camp?

Many people predicted Frye to be the next to go in a trade. That isn't going to happen now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Channing seems to be a likable and friendly person. I'm sorry to hear about his misfortune and that this will be hanging over his head. I hope that, as MadCardDisease described his situation, there is good hope for a comfortable life.

I would like to see the Suns add him to the Front Office staff in a public relations capacity.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
As for the Suns, it makes things difficult on a number of levels. If O'Neal misses a bunch of games, the Suns currently have no other option at center.

I think we're about to be reminded how much value a player like Robin Lopez has.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Yikes, good thing they caught it early. Thats serious stuff.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I wonder how long he has had this. It might explain the huge drop in play last year.

I cannot think that that the loss of Lopez in this situation will make that much difference. We have Gortat, ONeal, and Scola that can all play the center spot. Yes, Scola can do in a pinch.

This actually unclogs the rotation a little. Morris is going to get more minutes as a result.

It does really show the importance of the ONeal signing.

Hopefully Channing is right and a full recovery is possible. It will be that or a health related cap relief by the trade deadline. Can they get the "retired, health reasons" exception anymore?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Okay, this is the last time I'm going to say this, at least before the season begins: Anyone who thinks that O'Neal is going to be an upgrade over Lopez is in for a very unpleasant surprise.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Okay, this is the last time I'm going to say this, at least before the season begins: Anyone who thinks that O'Neal is going to be an upgrade over Lopez is in for a very unpleasant surprise.

So? What's your point? I don't think anyone is arguing that.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So? What's your point? I don't think anyone is arguing that.

Well, we have one person saying Lopez was so worthless we won't miss him, and then someone else saying "Yep, good thing we got O'Neal!" What conclusion would you draw from that exchange?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake