Charles Barkley: The Suns 'pinning themselves in a corner' with 3-guard system

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think protection on draft picks should be removed by the commissioner on future trades. Also allowing first round picks to turn into second round picks should be disallowed as well.

This is one of my pet peeves. :madarms:

100% agree. I have always hated draft pick protections. You either want to trade the pick or you don't. At the very least trades would be way more interesting.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think protection on draft picks should be removed by the commissioner on future trades. Also allowing first round picks to turn into second round picks should be disallowed as well.

This is one of my pet peeves. :madarms:

100% agree. I have always hated draft pick protections. You either want to trade the pick or you don't. At the very least trades would be way more interesting.

I think the league looks at it quite differently, IOW, they view draft protections as a huge success. Trades are good for the league, media and fan attention goes through the roof for several days before and after the deadlines. Draft pick protections make it easier to generate trades, so, mission accomplished.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Not sure if it's been posted yet, but the 2017 pick from Miami is top 7 protected for 2 years and loses all protection in 2019.

Wow, imagine if the Suns were to have unprotected Miami picks in both 2019 and 2021!

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the league looks at it quite differently, IOW, they view draft protections as a huge success. Trades are good for the league, media and fan attention goes through the roof for several days before and after the deadlines. Draft pick protections make it easier to generate trades, so, mission accomplished.

Steve

No doubt. Draft protections can artificially inflate the value of said pick. You are banking on the likelihood of said pick being more or less valuable depending on your team's ability to evaluate the team's prospects and quality of a future draft.

I still hate it though.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt. Draft protections can artificially inflate the value of said pick. You are banking on the likelihood of said pick being more or less valuable depending on your team's ability to evaluate the team's prospects and quality of a future draft.

I still hate it though.

I hate it because it's hurt us far more than it's helped us but that's mostly bad luck or perhaps poor management rather than the system itself.

Steve

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wow, imagine if the Suns were to have unprotected Miami picks in both 2019 and 2021!

While I'm fairly certain that those picks will be used to get a star in the next few years, I've already imagined that they we're both #1 picks. One can dream!

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I hate it because it's hurt us far more than it's helped us but that's mostly bad luck or perhaps poor management rather than the system itself.

Obviously the system is zero-sum, so I don't see any overall problem with it.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Speaking of Charles, Barkley said last week on Inside the NBA that Andrew Toney was the best player he ever played with.

Would you agree?

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Speaking of Charles, Barkley said last week on Inside the NBA that Andrew Toney was the best player he ever played with.

Would you agree?

Wasn't he on the Dream Team? What a weird comment. If he meant NBA teams only, I think he usually gives that honor to Moses Malone.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Wasn't he on the Dream Team? What a weird comment. If he meant NBA teams only, I think he usually gives that honor to Moses Malone.

This apparently isn't the first Charles said it

"Andrew Toney is the best player I ever played with," asserts Charles Barkley. "When I first got to Philadelphia, everyone kept asking me, 'How's Dr. J? What's Moses like? How about Maurice Cheeks?'

"I told them, 'They're all fine, but wait until you see Andrew.' "

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/19...90162_1_andrew-toney-boston-strangler-celtics

Look at the date on that article.

Also there's this,

Larry Bird said Toney was the best clutch player he had ever seen and Charles Barkley claimed he was the best teammate he ever had.

Malone doesnt disagree, either.

Andrew was tough, man, Moses said. He had a way to get it done. He played with a lot of heart and he loved the game. If you're like that youll be the best.

http://www.csnphilly.com/blog/sixers-talk/elusive-sixers-great-toney-finally-returns

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would you agree?

At least Barkley is consistent, I first heard him make this comment in the 80's. In many ways though he was considered the scariest player on a team that many think was one of the 2 or 3 best of all time. Toney's career wasn't that impressive but ask Boston fans how they feel about the guy. There's probably more than a few that still have nightmares about him. Imagine an Allen Iverson that plays within a team concept - that was Toney until injuries ruined his career. He was still pretty young too so he probably hadn't even peaked when he hurt his foot the first time.

Steve

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
I get it, Barkley meant "teammate" in terms of attitude, guy you want on your side, etc. Not "best basketball player who happened to be on the same team as me."

Last edited:

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it, Barkley's meant "teammate" in terms of attitude, guy you want on your side, etc. Not "best basketball player who happened to be on the same team as me."

I don't think so. It was pretty clear to me that he was calling Toney the best basketball player he'd ever played next to. Not best career, just best player.

Steve

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Your belief is to let the players dictate how the team is run, Mine is the opposite.
Really? That is not only simplistic. It is inaccurate.

My belief is that a team needs a balanced roster in order to develop.

Anything less is a disservice to the fans and, yes, the players.

How about if you state your belief from now on and I'll take care of stating mine.

As vehemently as our new GM now states that he will run a multi-Point Guard lineup as long as he is here, I vehemently believe that it is nothing more than a gimmick that the rest of the league is already adjusting to.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really? That is not only simplistic. It is inaccurate.

My belief is that a team needs a balanced roster in order to develop.

Anything less is a disservice to the fans and, yes, the players.

How about if you state your belief from now on and I'll take care of stating mine.

As vehemently as our new GM now states that he will run a multi-Point Guard lineup as long as he is here, I vehemently believe that it is nothing more than a gimmick that the rest of the league is already adjusting to.

You need to stick to your request before I'm interested in jumping on board.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake