Charles Barkley: The Suns 'pinning themselves in a corner' with 3-guard system

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think he is wrong either. We still have two PG's playing in our starting lineup. Maybe Knight can be completely converted to a SG. I don't know but on paper it sure still looks like we are dependent on a guy playing out of position.

I wonder if Knight takes advice from Bledsoe on how to handle his Restrict free agency contract negotiations this summer.

Bledsoe may say, "Hey, waiting it out til last minute worked out pretty well for me"

:p

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
I wonder if Knight takes advice from Bledsoe on how to handle his Restrict free agency contract negotiations this summer.

Bledsoe may say, "Hey, waiting it out til last minute worked out pretty well for me"

:p

Oh God.

:barf:

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I don't think he is wrong either. We still have two PG's playing in our starting lineup. Maybe Knight can be completely converted to a SG. I don't know but on paper it sure still looks like we are dependent on a guy playing out of position.

I feel you.

The Bucks are going the exact opposite direction of the Suns lol. All length everywhere

PG: MCW 6'6
SG: Khris Middleton 6'8
SF: Giannis Antetokounmpo 6'11
PF: Ersan Illyasova 6'10
C: Zaza Pachulia 6'11

A lot of promise defensively and if they can learn to shoot (which they can under a coach like Kidd), their offense won't be too bad either.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I feel you.

The Bucks are going the exact opposite direction of the Suns lol. All length everywhere

PG: MCW 6'6
SG: Khris Middleton 6'8
SF: Giannis Antetokounmpo 6'11
PF: Ersan Illyasova 6'10
C: Zaza Pachulia 6'11

A lot of promise defensively and if they can learn to shoot (which they can under a coach like Kidd), their offense won't be too bad either.

Man, they're going to have a scary team when Parker is back next year.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man, they're going to have a scary team when Parker is back next year.

I am not a fan of Michael Carter-Williams but I do like their core. If Sanders hadn't gone south on them they'd be on the verge of becoming a dominant team in the East for several years to come. Maybe Kidd can turn MCW into a real point guard but even if that fails, they should still be set once Ennis matures a little (physically, he's already a mature player mentally).

Steve

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of Michael Carter-Williams but I do like their core. If Sanders hadn't gone south on them they'd be on the verge of becoming a dominant team in the East for several years to come. Maybe Kidd can turn MCW into a real point guard but even if that fails, they should still be set once Ennis matures a little (physically, he's already a mature player mentally).

Steve

I think everyone who has been around awhile knows how much I once liked Ersan Illyasova and Zaza Pachulia. They have been disappointments in my book.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
I totally forgot about Sanders. The Sanders of 2 years ago would have been a great fit with that core. As it is, they're going to be a defensive juggernaut on the wings with MCW, Middleton and Giannis. They just need a rim protector to protect that back line.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

What exactly qualifies an almost rookie coach and one of the worst shooters during his career as "a coach like Kidd that will teach them to shoot".

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I totally forgot about Sanders. The Sanders of 2 years ago would have been a great fit with that core. As it is, they're going to be a defensive juggernaut on the wings with MCW, Middleton and Giannis. They just need a rim protector to protect that back line.

I doubt they have the cap space but imagine if the Bucks signed DeAndre Jordan.....

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Kidd was good offensively at the rim and behind the arc (35% career 3pt FG)
His mid range game was awful.

Yea he's top 5 all time in 3 pointers made.

Not sure why its a stretch to see Kidd improve the shooting of these young Bucks.

For the first few years of his career, Kidd picked up an unflattering nickname: Ason Kidd, because he had no J. By the end of his playing days, Kidd was a knockdown shooter and is now No. 5 on the NBA's all-time list of three-pointers made. That's the type of transformation Carter-Williams needs to make. The master has found his apprentice.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/19/8072571/michael-carter-williams-trade-bucks-jason-kidd

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Hmmmm what are Barkleys' credentials for building a championship team?Surely his having such a strong opinion and that his opinion is deemed necessary to share as evidence to just how stupid the Suns front office is would lead us to believe he must know what he's talking about.

Let's see... did he ever build a championship team as a member of a front office? No... Did he ever coach a championship team? No.... Did he ever play on a championship team? No...

Curiouser and curiouser

Hmmm, so just like those around here who proclaim to have all answers and spend so much time posting nasty stuff about the Suns front office, he just like they have zero claims to being a part of anything championship in the NBA yet seem to believe they have all the answers.

Well, that's certainly odd.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Hmmmm what are Barkleys' credentials for building a championship team?Surely his having such a strong opinion and that his opinion is deemed necessary to share as evidence to just how stupid the Suns front office is would lead us to believe he must know what he's talking about.

Let's see... did he ever build a championship team as a member of a front office? No... Did he ever coach a championship team? No.... Did he ever play on a championship team? No...

Curiouser and curiouser

Hmmm, so just like those around here who proclaim to have all answers and spend so much time posting nasty stuff about the Suns front office, he just like they have zero claims to being a part of anything championship in the NBA yet seem to believe they have all the answers.

Well, that's certainly odd.
Even though Charles puts on a show, he is a former NBA and Suns player, works on a sports network and knows what the game is about.

We fans are nowhere near that close, but certainly have a feel for the direction in which our team is heading and how they are being managed, watching it day by day.

The Suns Front Office and Coaching staff has taken a step back from its 3-lead Point Guard arrangement. That says something!!!

Some of us fans legitimately feel that they need to further lick their wounds and take a step back from its 2-lead Point Guard arrangement. Some disagree. We are all entitled!

I personally believe that it will just be a matter of time until Brandon Knight reacts as did Goran Dragic. It has been reported that Knight was not happy coming here because of the logjam.

Will he be content playing Shooting Guard, then moving over as Bledsoe's backup, even in a 2-lead Point Guard situation? Some of us expect that he will not be. It is logical to understand that he, too, wants to be the man at the Point.

Or that he will be happy strictly as Shooting Guard with a young player developing as backup Point Guard, which some of us would like to see.

This isn't about Charles Barkley. Or even about its fans. It is about the Suns, who have clearly stuck their neck out (twice), taken a step back (once) but may continue pissing off their players. Time will tell.

Errntknght

Reaction score
The Suns Front Office and Coaching staff has taken a step back from its 3-lead Point Guard arrangement. That says something!!!

Some of us fans legitimately feel that they need to further lick their wounds and take a step back from its 2-lead Point Guard arrangement. Some disagree. We are all entitled!

I personally believe that it will just be a matter of time until Brandon Knight reacts as did Goran Dragic. It has been reported that Knight was not happy coming here because of the logjam.

Will he be content playing Shooting Guard, then moving over as Bledsoe's backup, even in a 2-lead Point Guard situation? Some of us expect that he will not be. It is logical to understand that he, too, wants to be the man at the Point.

Or that he will be happy strictly as Shooting Guard with a young player developing as backup Point Guard, which some of us would like to see.

This isn't about Charles Barkley. Or even about its fans. It is about the Suns, who have clearly stuck their neck out (twice), taken a step back (once) but may continue pissing off their players. Time will tell.

It could be that the Suns got IT for the variety of reasons that we've discussed at length. Its quite clear that McD and Hornacek like the idea of having two guards with ball handling and playmaking skills on the floor together. While IT was here they tried playing all three of them together and it was not a disaster on the floor by any means, nor was it a rousing success on the floor. Like most in here I did not expect it to work well and I was rather surprised it worked as well as it did. I am not going to be surprised if they try it again with Archie Goodwin being the third ball handling and playmaking guard - it may prove quite successful because all of them are pretty good defenders and Archie is long enough to guard some SFs.

Furthermore, I don't care which way they go with it but what I hope I don't see is the same stultified half court offense. The worst part of it is that I believe that the change will have to come from the players because Horny has shown no interest in adding to the offense. Its well and good to have an offensive scheme in mind but when the coach is so doctrinaire he won't allow anything outside of his scheme you are not taking full advantage of the talent you've put on the floor - or could put on the floor.

In other words I don't think that McD and Hornacek are pulling back from their overall plan. They've certainly indicated the reason they think it worked out the way it did was because the players we had didn't buy into it to the degree necessary. If the current players do not, I fully expect they will continue to look for players that will - I believe McD said something very close to that.

You may look at what happened and put a different interpretation on it but I don't think I'm reading between the lines here. Just don't be too surprised if the overall plan has not changed.

Personally, I'd have kept Innis and forwent the acquisition of Knight if necessary - and it appears Kidd would not have made the trade without Innis coming. I think we need better playmaking skills on the floor - we saw the effect of that at the end of last season when Ish was providing them.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Even though Charles puts on a show, he is a former NBA and Suns player, works on a sports network and knows what the game is about.

We fans are nowhere near that close, but certainly have a feel for the direction in which our team is heading and how they are being managed, watching it day by day.

The degree you and yours stretch facts to fit your perceptions is acrobatic. Your belief is to let the players dictate how the team is run, Mine is the opposite. You like to bitch and moan about the Suns management not bending to selfish individuals, I applaud them for not. You believe you have all the answers and whine about be entitled to your opinion, yet the fact that every time you throw your nasty remarks at the Suns front office for their decisions, you are in turn insulting others who happen to agree with them. You don't know how to just disagree, you take it to the extreme and insult their intelligence. Lastly, you are in left field. The Suns have not once taken a step back and changed strategy. They got rid of selfish prima donna's who were not team players. They brought in someone else. If that one turns out to be another guy who is only out for themselves, they will get rid of him and try again. You seriously need to find a new team. I hear the Heat have a lot of openings with many of their fans throwing in their support for Cleveland. Think about it... please.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The degree you and yours stretch facts to fit your perceptions is acrobatic. Your belief is to let the players dictate how the team is run, Mine is the opposite. You like to bitch and moan about the Suns management not bending to selfish individuals, I applaud them for not. You believe you have all the answers and whine about be entitled to your opinion, yet the fact that every time you throw your nasty remarks at the Suns front office for their decisions, you are in turn insulting others who happen to agree with them. You don't know how to just disagree, you take it to the extreme and insult their intelligence. Lastly, you are in left field. The Suns have not once taken a step back and changed strategy. They got rid of selfish prima donna's who were not team players. They brought in someone else. If that one turns out to be another guy who is only out for themselves, they will get rid of him and try again. You seriously need to find a new team. I hear the Heat have a lot of openings with many of their fans throwing in their support for Cleveland. Thank about it... please.

even though I disagree with BC a lot, this above post is obnoxious. Telling someone to get lost and find a new team ain't kosher on this board.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
even though I disagree with BC a lot, this above post is obnoxious. Telling someone to get lost and find a new team ain't kosher on this board.

You're hardly one to preach about being obnoxious, but it was intended to be as I see his posts are extremely obnoxious. That and I never told him or anyone to get lost. I suggested that he would be a much happier person if he found a new team to support. One that isn't run by morons and one where half the fans are morons according to him. One where he doesn't have to spend so much time being miserable and letting everyone know about it in every post.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're hardly one to preach about being obnoxious, but it was intended to be as I see his posts are extremely obnoxious. That and I never told him or anyone to get lost. I suggested that he would be a much happier person if he found a new team to support. One that isn't run by morons and one where half the fans are morons according to him. One where he doesn't have to spend so much time being miserable and letting everyone know about it in every post.

the day I tell another member of the board to go find another team, will be the first. You don't like what he says? Ignore it... but telling someone to go find another team is bush league and yes... that is exactly what the point of your post was and you know it.

Your words: "YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO FIND A NEW TEAM" That's not "suggesting he would be happier with a new to team to support". That's point blank telling someone to get lost.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
the day I tell another member of the board to go find another team, will be the first. You don't like what he says? Ignore it... but telling someone to go find another team is bush league and yes... that is exactly what the point of your post was and you know it.

Your words: "YOU SERIOUSLY NEED TO FIND A NEW TEAM" That's not "suggesting he would be happier with a new to team to support". That's point blank telling someone to get lost.

I realize you are see yourself as the expert on behavior, but I honestly don't care what your opinion is on the matter. Although I've never had a problem with you, you are by far have been one of the most obnoxious posters over the years. You call it bush league, you're welcome to that opinion? I believe your jumping in to play hero and telling me my intent is bush league. You deem telling someone they'd clearly be happier rooting (which I've never seen him do) for a different team as bad, I view it as suggesting it for his own well being. It can't be healthy the path he's on. Sure, I could ignore his many posts, but he consistently responds to mine first. I didn't ask him to repeatedly insult my intelligence and respond to my posts that were neither directed at him and rarely on topic to what I wrote about. So go ahead Cheese and puff that chest out. You're the better man, but you knew that.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
BC has probably been a Suns fan longer than you have been on this planet.

You don't need to attack and insult him because you disagree with him. Did he do the same thing to you without you initiating it?

Like cheese said, there's a reason that every single forum on the internet has an "ignore" feature. Use it.

I'm not gonna say you should agree with BC or anything. Its up to you. I won't even tell you that you have no right to be mad at his posts, you absolutely do. But I would highly recommend using the ignore feature if it pisses you off that much. I disagree with Phrazbit quite often and his posts piss me off a lot (probably not as much BC's posts do to you) and because of that I put him on ignore months ago and it works out for me perfectly well.

Again, I'm not saying you don't have to agree with him or anything but to tell a long time fan who treats most, if not every, poster with respect to basically eff off and go find a team is absolutely unnecessary.

If BC wanted to root for another team, he doesn't need your permission and could have probably done it a long time ago, instead he has stuck with this franchise through thick and thin.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize you are see yourself as the expert on behavior, but I honestly don't care what your opinion is on the matter. Although I've never had a problem with you, you are by far have been one of the most obnoxious posters over the years. You call it bush league, you're welcome to that opinion? I believe your jumping in to play hero and telling me my intent is bush league. You deem telling someone they'd clearly be happier rooting (which I've never seen him do) for a different team as bad, I view it as suggesting it for his own well being. It can't be healthy the path he's on. Sure, I could ignore his many posts, but he consistently responds to mine first. I didn't ask him to repeatedly insult my intelligence and respond to my posts that were neither directed at him and rarely on topic to what I wrote about. So go ahead Cheese and puff that chest out. You're the better man, but you knew that.

I'm jumping in because people used to tell me all the time on the Cardinals board to go find another team when I was pissed about them continually making idiotic decisions and it's crap. Reality is right now... the Suns have been pretty much a dumpster fire for 5 years. BC's got reason to be pissed... and honestly, even if he didn't, he should still be able to come here and vent as much as he wants without fellow fans telling him he "SERIOUSLY NEED TO FIND A NEW TEAM". Why? Because the rules of the board say so.

Last edited:

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
BC has probably been a Suns fan longer than you have been on this planet.

That you believe that means anything is ridiculous.

You don't need to attack and insult him because you disagree with him. Did he do the same thing to you without you initiating it?

I have never attacked him.

Like cheese said, there's a reason that every single forum on the internet has an "ignore" feature. Use it.

i couldn't care less what Cheese or you think.

I'm not gonna say you should agree with BC or anything. Its up to you. I won't even tell you that you have no right to be mad at his posts, you absolutely do. But I would highly recommend using the ignore feature if it pisses you off that much. I disagree with Phrazbit quite often and his posts piss me off a lot (probably not as much BC's posts do to you) and because of that I put him on ignore months ago and it works out for me perfectly well.

Again, I'm not saying you don't have to agree with him or anything but to tell a long time fan who treats most, if not every, poster with respect to basically eff off and go find a team is absolutely unnecessary.

If BC wanted to root for another team, he doesn't need your permission and could have probably done it a long time ago, instead he has stuck with this franchise through thick and thin.

See my answer above.

Now may I give you some unsolicited advice. In the future when you stick your nose where it doesn't belong, have a clue what you're talking about.

KloD

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I'm jumping in because people used to tell me all the time on the Cardinals board to go find another team when I was pissed about them continually making idiotic decisions and it's crap. Reality is right now... the Suns have been pretty much a dumpster fire for 5 years. BC's got reason to be pissed... and honestly, even if he didn't, he should still be able to come here and vent as much as he wants without fellow fans telling him he "SERIOUSLY NEED TO FIND A NEW TEAM". Why? Because the rules of the board say so.

You can continue to tell me my intent, but you're wrong. When I wrote it, and the many times I thought it in the recent past, my thoughts were that with his age and the level of drama and misery he displays, that for his sake, he should find a team he actually can root for. But, that's besides the point. He is the one who on a daily basis insults my intelligence. He is the one who responds to MY posts and in doing so rarely even comments to the subject at hand, no he turns it into how wrong I am and how stupid the teams front office is, therefore since I believe they are doing a fine job and happen to agree with most of their decisions he's insinuating that I am as stupid as he says they are.

There are ways to disagree. Those who think they have all the answers and repeatedly refer to management as idiots don't seem to believe in doing so they are suggesting those who agree with them must be idiots too. Some of you are nasty on the internet talking about the team, well those of us who happen to disagree with your positions aren't calling you idiots. This past week I decided to try and do the same back and it took a little longer than I thought it would to get called on it and I wasn't even called out for that exactly. Disagree with the front office all you want, but that doesn't mean you are right and it doesn't make them or anyone else idiots for sharing their opinion. BC is hardly a victim, I just decided to respond back to him the way he respond to me and often unprovoked. Time to go watch Walking Dead.

OP
OP
sunsfan88

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
That you believe that means anything is ridiculous.

I have never attacked him.

i couldn't care less what Cheese or you think.

See my answer above.

Now may I give you some unsolicited advice. In the future when you stick your nose where it doesn't belong, have a clue what you're talking about.

Assuming the age next to both yours and BC's profile is accurate, why is it so ridiculous for me to think that?

Even if BC became a Suns fan at the very latest at the age of 27 (I would guess that he became a Suns fan at a much earlier age than this though), he would still have been a longer Suns fan than your age itself.

And I know very well what I'm talking about. The following quote, whether you like it or not, is considered an attack/insult.

You seriously need to find a new team. I hear the Heat have a lot of openings with many of their fans throwing in their support for Cleveland. Thank about it... please.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SportsBetJake