Chicago @ Phoenix - Game Thread - Sunday Feb. 11, 2007 -6:00 pm

sunsfn

Reaction score
Suns Look to Bounce Back, Host Bulls
By KATE HEDLIN, STATS Writer

US Airways Center
620/92.3
FSN AZ ESPN

After losing just twice over a 35-game stretch, the Phoenix Suns have been defeated three times in their last six contests.
The Suns (39-11) look to get back to their dominating ways Sunday when they host the Chicago Bulls, a team they haven't lost to at home in more than 10 years.
The Suns have won five straight overall against the Bulls (28-23) and haven't lost to them in Phoenix since Nov. 20, 1996, when Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen each scored 37 points to lead Chicago to a 113-99 victory.
The Suns' eight-game home winning streak in the series has come by an average of 12.3 points, with the last three of those contests having been decided by an average of 16.0 points.
Phoenix could get a boost if point guard Steve Nash returns as it looks to extend that streak. The two-time MVP has sat out the last 2 1/2 games with a sore shoulder. While the Suns defeated Denver on Monday as Nash sat out the second half and knocked off Portland on Tuesday without him, Phoenix suffered a 120-111 home loss to lowly Atlanta on Friday night.
The Suns came in with a 20-4 mark at the U.S. Airways Center.
Nash said he was feeling better Friday, and his coach sounded confident the five-time All-Star could be back in the lineup against the Bulls.
"It's still sore," Mike D'Antoni said. "If it improves as much from now until Sunday as it did from yesterday to today, then he will play Sunday."
Nash has 11 points and 13 assists against the Bulls in the teams' last matchup, a 97-96 Suns road victory Jan. 2 that Leandro Barbosa won with a 3-pointer with 1.5 seconds remaining. Nash's teams are unbeaten in the last 14 games he's played against Chicago.
Barbosa scored 19 points in Friday's loss to Atlanta and put the Suns up by one with 5:39 left, but the Hawks went on an 8-0 run and built their lead to nine with 2:36 left. Phoenix couldn't get closer than five again.
Atlanta's Joe Johnson scored 17 of his 32 points in the fourth quarter to burn his former team.
"On a night when you don't have your point guard and things are clicking the way they always do, you've got to pay attention to the smaller things, and we did not do that," Phoenix guard Raja Bell said. "That's what good teams do."
The Suns, who haven't lost back-to-back games since dropping four straight from Nov. 3-9, will be facing a Chicago club that has struggled all season on the road.

The Bulls are 8-17 away from home, and 2-4 on their season high-tying seven-game trip. Chicago has lost three straight, including a disheartening 123-121 overtime defeat to Golden State on Friday.
The Bulls led by 14 going into the fourth quarter, but the Warriors went on a 22-6 run to start the period. Golden State's P.J. Brown tied it with 50 seconds left and the contest went to overtime.
Ben Gordon had a chance to win it for Chicago in the extra period, but his 3-pointer as time expired never hit the rim. Gordon finished with a team-high 24 points.
"We built a nice lead," coach Scott Skiles said. "We just lost focus."
A defeat Sunday would give the Bulls their longest losing streak since a season-high six-game slide between Nov. 14-Nov. 24. All of those defeats came on the road.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Nash out, Diaw doubtful....not very reassuring

OP
OP
S

sunsfn

Reaction score
I guess we will find out if Banks can improve on his game by playing two games in a row.
He had a decent game with 20 points, but 0 assists, and his defense was not that great. He needs to get some assists and get others involved, especially Junior, who needs to score some points today!

TJ

Reaction score
its a travesty if Rose does not play tonight

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
The Suns offense is terrible, but this was expected without our playmakers.

TJ

Reaction score
How bout that Burke 3 point attempt?? Holy ****, this is gonna be a long night

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Wow its like the entire bench is gonna get in on the action with Rose coming in now.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's almost as if this team is not even trying anymore. They have resigned to the fact that without Nash they simply cannot beat a team like the Bulls so why even bother expending any energy in trying. Two consecutive turnovers that led to six Bulls points. Constantly giving up offensive rebounds. And that's just one quarter. Hope they prove me wrong for the rest of the game.

BirdMan21

Ex-Ex-AP Hype Man
Reaction score
Does anyone know why we are wearing the jerseys with the flags on the trim? I am getting made fun of over here because I keep bringing it up, and everyone keeps telling me to just let it go.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
At the very least it looks like Banks is gaining confidence in his game. I like how he was able to carve into the lane and get a couple layups against the vaunted Bull's defense.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Does anyone know why we are wearing the jerseys with the flags on the trim? I am getting made fun of over here because I keep bringing it up, and everyone keeps telling me to just let it go.
Let it go, man :)

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
I cant believe that in a game like this Coach D still uses the 8 men rotation. And Burke is our 6th man :eek:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
At half, Suns give up 61 points on 54% shooting, including 20 off of 10 turnovers, a lot of them just careless.

Burke is 1-6 including 0-2 from 3.
Barbosa and Bell, our best outside shooters other than Nash, are combined 3-14 with no 3-pointers.

Hard to find much positive in the 1st half.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the first game I've been able to see the Suns in HD. Ugh.

Barbosa had to have a good game. Instead he kept driving and not finishing against that long Bulls lineup.

Burke is a disgrace.

We'll see if anything changes at halftime. Very disappointing so far.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I just turned on the game pitty were down without nash again :( hows amare doing this game i'm guessing not good

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score

It's in honor of "fiesta night" the flags are all latin america flags.

Ciani

Registered
Reaction score
I just turned on the game pitty were down without nash again :( hows amare doing this game i'm guessing not good

Amare is not bad at all. He is fighting with 2-3 Bulls defenders and the refs sometimes.

Barbs is marvellous in the 2nd half. I love this kid.

panfolk

Registered
Reaction score
I've been so bored by the game the thought of Leandro with an afro keeps amusing me.

I'm a little disturbed that Greg Anthony seems to have some productive insights tonight.

Suns_fan69

Official ASFN Lurker
Reaction score
Excellent push to grab the lead heading into the 4th. The energy level was high on both ends of the court and we even got a couple offensive rebounds. If we can keep this out we should be able to hold them off. I hope we haven't peaked too early.

On a side note - usually I'm all for Amare taking the opposing C off the dribble but in this case I'd rather set him down in the low block vs Ben. Wallace has the footspeed and hops to keep with Amare from out there and it really negates his advantage.

boisesuns

Standing Tall And Traded
Reaction score
Banks has had plenty of chances to prove himself. Does anyone still think he'll pan out?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan