Chuck Berry

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been in a 50's music mood over the past week or so...Obviously, that I must include Chuck Berry among those that I listen to....

This is probably one of the best/interesting write-ups Ive ever read about him.. Lifted directly from his biography page during from his official website

BIOGRAPHY

Chuck Berry's music has transcended generations. He earns respect to this day because he is truly an entertainer. Berry gained success by watching the audience's reaction and playing accordingly, putting his listeners' amusement above all else. For this reason, tunes like "Johnny B. Goode," "Maybellene" and "Memphis" have become anthems to an integrated American youth and popular culture. Berry is a musical icon who established rock and roll as a musical form and brought the worlds of black and white together in song.

Born in St. Louis on October 18, 1926 Berry had many influences on his life that shaped his musical style. He emulated the smooth vocal clarity of his idol, Nat King Cole, while playing blues songs from bands like Muddy Waters. For his first stage performance, Berry chose to sing a Jay McShann song called "Confessin' the Blues." It was at his high school's student musical performance, when the blues was well-liked but not considered appropriate for such an event. He got a thunderous applause for his daring choice, and from then on, Berry had to be onstage.

Guitar Lessons
Berry took up the guitar after that, inspired by his partner in the school production. He found that if he learned rhythm changes and blues chords, he could play most of the popular songs on the radio at the time. His friend, Ira Harris, showed him techniques on the guitar that would become the foundation of Berry's original sound. Then in 1952, he began playing guitar and singing in a club band whose song list ranged from blues to ballads to calypso to country. Berry was becoming an accomplished showman, incorporating gestures and facial expressions to go with the lyrics.

It was in 1953 that Chuck Berry joined the Sir John's Trio (eventually renamed the Chuck Berry Combo), which played the popular Cosmopolitan Club in St. Louis. Country-western music was big at the time, so Berry decided to use some of the riffs and create his own unique hillbilly sound. The black audience thought he was crazy at first, but couldn't resist trying to dance along with it. Since country was popular with white people, they began to come to the shows, and the audience was at some points almost 40 percent white. Berry's stage show antics were getting attention, but the other band members did their parts as well. In his own words: "I would slur my strings to make a passage that Johnnie (Johnson) could not produce with piano keys but the answer would be so close that he would get a tremendous ovation. His answer would sound similar to some that Jerry Lee Lewis's fingers later began to flay."

Some Good Advice

Later in 1955, Berry went on a road trip to Chicago, where he chanced upon a club where his idol, Muddy Waters, was performing. He arrived late and only heard the last song, but when it was over he got the attention of Waters and asked him who to see about making a record. Waters replied, "Yeah, Leonard Chess. Yeah, Chess Records over on Forty-seventh and Cottage." Berry went there on Monday and discovered it was a blues label where greats like Howlin' Wolf and Bo Diddley recorded. He didn't have any tapes to show, but Chess was willing to listen if he brought some back from St. Louis. So Berry went home and recorded some originals, including the would-be "Maybellene," then called "Ida May," and drove back to Chicago later that week to audition. Much to Berry's surprise, it was that hillbilly number that caught Chess' attention. Berry was signed to Chess Records and in the summer of 1955, "Maybellene" reached #5 on the Pop Charts and #1 on the R&B Charts. Through Chuck Berry, Chess Records moved from the R&B genre into the mainstream and Berry himself was on his way to stardom.

The Rest is History

Berry continued his success with such hits as "Brown-Eyed Man," "Too Much Monkey Business," "Memphis," "Roll Over, Beethoven!" and "Johnny B. Goode." "Johnny B. Goode" is Berry's masterpiece, as it brought together all the elements of Berry's unique musical sound. It cemented his place in rock history and led to fame in the 1950s. His popularity garnered him television and movie appearances and he toured frequently.

Berry's incredible success is due to his ability to articulate the concerns and attitudes of his audience in his music. At the height of his success, Berry was a 30-year-old black man singing to a mostly white, teenage audience. Dubbed the "Eternal Teenager," Chuck Berry's knowledge of the pop market made it possible for him to break color barriers and play to an integrated audience.

In the 1960s and 1970s, Berry's music was the inspiration for such groups as the Beatles and the Rolling Stones. Berry had a number of comeback recordings and in 1972 had the first and only #1 Pop Chart hit of his career with "My Ding-A-Ling. 1986 fittingly saw him inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. As a tribute to his pervasiveness in the realm of rock, a clip of "Johnny B. Goode" was chosen played in the Voyager I spacecraft, proving Chuck Berry and his rock legacy are truly out of this world.

He pretty much single-handily pioneered guitar to higher depths..expanding on the framework from the earlier Blues guitar legends.... It's overwhelming whenever one listens to him how he was able to create such sounds that were in fact ahead of his time...Also..just think of how he purley played the guitar without the benefit of future gadgets/devices... Also, his lyrics and vocals were amazing..... I'll reiterate.. Berry and Holly were the co-kings of rock-n-roll.....

Who else appreciates Chuck Berry's music?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Berry was rock's true pioneer. I love the man's music. There's 4 guys in the last 100 years that really shaped modern guitar playing, IMO.

Andres Segovia - before him, guitar was thought to be the instrument of the poor and piano was the instrument of the wealthy. He changed all that, a tremendous virtuoso born during the industrial revolution, who was still playing concerts well into his 80s before he died (roughly 15 years ago). His saying as to why he toured so late into his life... "I'll got time enough to rest when I'm dead."

Chuck Berry - Used blues and jazz roots combined with his own unique style to create "Rock and Roll". The first true champion of the electric guitar, and one hell of a songwriter. He'll always be known for "Johnny Be Goode" in pop culture, but his soulful guitar playing and rockabily rhythms are still relevant today in my opinion.

Jimi Hendrix - Took rock to the next level with his amazing playing, songwriting, soulful presence and his raw distorted sound. A true pioneer and head 'n shoulders above his contemporaries (Page, Clapton, Beck, etc.). His best song, in my opinion, was his cover of Bob Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower". A simple, beautiful song, with some amazing vocals and guitar playing.

Eddie Van Halen - What Jimi Hendrix did to "rock 'n roll" Eddie Van Halen did to electric guitar playing. His masterpiece "Eruption" single-handedly started the technique-heavy guitar playing that was 80s rock. Without him, there would be no Steve Vai, no Joe Satriani, no John Petrucci, no Yngwie Malmsteem, etc. (There would still have been Stevie Ray Vaughn and Al Di Meola, though, so we would've all been alright anyway :thumbup: )

There's more than that, but IMO those were the 4 most important guys in rock guitar in the last century.

OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Assface said:
KLL, you should check out the Gotohells. They're a south Florida punk/rock & roll band. Here's a site with some short sample clips.

http://www.emusic.com/album/10754/10754553.html

Thanks for that link....I will definitely check them out......

vince56 said:
There's more than that, but IMO those were the 4 most important guys in rock guitar in the last century.

Excellent post... I'm just curious.. how do you as a top-notch guitarist yourself rank Pete Townshend and Jeff Beck among those 4 that you listed?

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Eddie Van Halen His masterpiece "Eruption" single-handedly started the technique-heavy guitar playing that was 80s rock. Without him, there would be no Steve Vai, no Joe Satriani, no John Petrucci, no Yngwie Malmsteem, etc.

Here is my theory. Eddie is awesome and very creative. That first album was a major ground-breaking record in rock guitar. But ironically, his incredibly innovative style lead to the dreadfully predictable state of rock guitar in the 80's and eventually the death of the guitar solo alltogether. Every hack with 6-strings, 10-fingers, and leather pants started tapping and running up and down the neck at lightning speed. Every rock song had to have a 30 second guitar solo that climaxed in a flurry of notes running up the neck (preferably all the way to the top fret). The once popular guitar solo became tedious and boring rather quickly because there was rarely much imagination and feeling in these gymnastic solos. In my opinion this copy-cat phenomenon helped kill off the rock guitar solo in popular music as we know it.

Thank heavens for Steve Via.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Berry was rock's true pioneer. I love the man's music. There's 4 guys in the last 100 years that really shaped modern guitar playing, IMO.
No Jimmy Page? For shame.

Or Clapton?

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Pariah said:
No Jimmy Page? For shame.

Or Clapton?

Those guys are pop rock IMO. I never found either one of them all that interesting, to be honest. No offense if you did, I just didn't, and I didn't hear too many guitarists that came after them that sounded like them (i.e. they're not very influencial). Most guitarists that I know consider them average at best. Their contemporaries like Richie Blackmore, Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iommi and Steve Howe were much more creative in my opinion.

Of course, I could be wrong :D It's all in the eye of the beholder and art is very subjective.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rivercard said:
Here is my theory. Eddie is awesome and very creative. That first album was a major ground-breaking record in rock guitar. But ironically, his incredibly innovative style lead to the dreadfully predictable state of rock guitar in the 80's and eventually the death of the guitar solo alltogether. Every hack with 6-strings, 10-fingers, and leather pants started tapping and running up and down the neck at lightning speed. Every rock song had to have a 30 second guitar solo that climaxed in a flurry of notes running up the neck (preferably all the way to the top fret). The once popular guitar solo became tedious and boring rather quickly because there was rarely much imagination and feeling in these gymnastic solos. In my opinion this copy-cat phenomenon helped kill off the rock guitar solo in popular music as we know it.

Thank heavens for Steve Via.

I agree 100% with everything you said there... but remember, the 80s style lasted from Van Halen I in 1978 up until about 1993 or 1994 when the glam bands began dying out. That's roughly 15 years of guitar-driven glam rock being the top dog in popular music, longer than almost every other fad in history. EVH was extremely influencial in this time period and kickstarted the whole thing.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
vince56 said:
Their contemporaries like Richie Blackmore, Pete Townshend, Jimi Hendrix, Tony Iommi and Steve Howe were much more creative in my opinion.
I'll give you that about Clapton, but who sounded like Page before Page? He (and the rest of Led Zeppelin) defined "Hard Rock," IMO.

Last edited:

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pariah said:
I'll give you that about Clapton, but who sounded like Page before Page? He (and the rest of Led Zeppelin) defined "Hard Rock," IMO.

Amen my brother

Last edited:
OP
OP
KingLouieLouie

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mulli808 said:

Spayed or neutered? JK

Seriously...this turned-out to be an excellent thread and I would like to add more....

I may be off-based here, but as I've reflected on here a couple times that Grunge destroyed music (has probably set it back some).... Especially the evolution of guitarists (for the most part).....

True.. the Grunge movement did produce Jerry Cantrell and Kim Thayil (to me they were beyond just Grunge) and Mike McCready of Pearl Jam wasnt bad either, but several bands tried to duplicate the 3-cord sound of Nirvana (who essentially were copying off of what the Kinks and the Who did 30-years before that and what the Punk bands of the late 70s were).... Just no lacked any innovation and then since most bands havent recovered from that.. they still yearn for a simplistic sounding guitar work because they feel that many would appreciate a Grunge revival... or also.. of course bands trying to replicate what Eddie Van Halen did on "Jump" by emphasing synthesizers/keyboards into their sound.... I bet the first moment people heard "Jump" and saw that sequence in the video of Eddie's snythesizer keyboard (I remember when all of that came-out, but I was merely 7, just specifically stating aspiring musicians) they took note that the era's guitar legend is embracing the synthesizer, does that signify the importance of guitar in rock? Some believed so and bypassed playing guitar in favor of the synthesizer.... Snyth music of course faded and without anyone really taking the torch away from Eddie (who by then was playing prominently acoustic rather than his searing solos) most got so complacent and just began to lack innovation.. got so comfortable with just rhtythm guitar in every song and no need for solos..... Just appreciate that the likes of Joe Satriani and Steve Vai (and now Vince) never lost focus on how vital lead guitar is to music and never forgetting those who put down the framework for them.....

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Broncosfan