Coffee and a Sneak Peak to the O.S.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Just looking at what pain and suffering we fans will have to endure at the end of the season:

What a frustrating football year to be a Cardinals fan. The lockout, the disappointment at QB, the 1-6, Calais Campbell still not re-signed................

I have come to grips with the fact that the team is not as bad as their record indicates. The team has been competitive in most games they have played, and a couple losses were self-inflicted, in my very humble opinion.

There are some players that if we lose they will have an effect on this team trying to go forward. What makes it 50x worse is they will be players that should not break the bank, not even close.

Yet, as I opened with pain and suffering, only the Cardinals :bang: could make this offseason harder that is it (which is not very challenging at all for a NFL team). Really, it is just re-signing Campbell, and a bunch of RFA's and EFA's.

Have to Re-sign:

UFA: Calais Campbell, DE - Being touted as the best 3-4 DE in the league by some. Is a shining example of why the Cardinals will never be a consistently good team, and why they will be stuck in another 60yr rebuilding stage. The fact he is not signed now shows how inept the Cardinals truly are, and when he is not signed by next season, it will tell the league, regardless if it is true or not, "Same Ol' Cheap Cardinals." Keep the core together my patoot! He should be signed to a 5 year contract, IMO, but it ain't gonna happen.

RFA: LaRod Stephens-Howling, RB - wouldn't it be nice to see the Cardinals be pro-active and sign LSH to a 4/5 year contract ? But, regardless, he will be tendered and a Cardinal next year.

RFA: Greg Toler, CB - Toler being a RFA, makes it easy on the Cardinals to resign him.

UFA: D'Anthony Batiste, OT/OG - I like what little I have seen from Batiste. Can play OG or OT. Can be re-signed for league minimum.

EFA: A.J. Jefferson, CB - Exclusive Rights Free Agent. He will be back next year, and will be a good depth guy for the Cardinals.

UFA: Ricard Marshall, CB/FS - Are those collective gasps I hear. Yeah, well deal with it. Not the best DB in the world, but smart. Understands the system we are trying to run, and can play CB or FS. Should be a relatively easy player to re-sign for 2 years.

UFA: Mike Leach, LS - Remember hearing Leach's name on TV once since he was signed a few years back. That is a good thing.

50/50 to Re-sign:

UFA: Richard Bartel, QB - don't see any reason why not to keep him as our #3.

UFA: Alfonso Smith, RB - Personally, I would bring him back as our 4th RB. Great speed, plays special teams, and adequate at running the ball.

EFA: Stephen Williams, WR - Exclusive Rights Free Agent, so he will be in camp next season, and will be cut, and signed by the Chiefs. You think Chiefs fans call there team "Cardinals East" ?

UFA: Early Doucet, WR - IMHO, he is a dime a dozen 2nd/3rd WR. If re-signed, I hope it is after "The eye of Rod Graves" concentrates, and procrastinates signing more important players first.

UFA: Deuce Lutui, OG - What a saga going on with this guy. I would believe Lutui coming back is more or less up to Lutui. Obviously the Cardinals are happier with the guard they have starting now, but who knows with Lutui.

UFA: Clark Haggans, OLB - Clark was at dirt's 1st birthday party. Haggans can be re-signed, but it certainly doesn't have to happen. It probably won't knowing his age. Even though Porter has 1 more year on his contract, I would imagine Porter is going to retire. So Haggans and Porter may be gone next year. Solid player, but needs to be replaced.

UFA: Reggie Walker, ILB - A dime a dozen, special teams playing MLB.

RFA: Rashad Johnson, FS - If he was not a RFA, then I would imagine the Cardinals would let him walk, but as a RFA he will be brought into camp. The Cardinals need to upgrade from Johnson desperately. The safety position is a huge concern, IMHO. There is a chance he could be a backup for the Chiefs next season.

Jay Feely, K - Could go either way with Feely.

Dave Zastudil, P - Could go either way with Zastudil.

Let them go:

UFA: Chester Taylor, RB - Thanks for the help, enjoy retirement.

UFA: Vonnie Holliday, DE - Thanks for the help, enjoy retirement.

UFA: Levi Brown, OT - It feels a lot like 2007. Current LT is overpaid, and over whelmed. Don't have a viable LT on the roster after Levi Brown. I don't think the Cardinals have the ability in their front office to find a replacement in free agency. I don't think the Cardinals have the front office to draft a LT. Were screwed. All that being said, are we really going to over pay for the worse LT in the NFL ?

UFA: Brandon Keith, OT - Experiment over. Keep Jeremy Bridges at RT next year, and draft a OT.

Only a blind man like Graves doesn't see....:

Beanie Wells, RB - He is going to be in the last year of his contract during this offseason. After what Wells has shown this season, there is going to be an issue here. No doubt about it. I am not sure what to do with Wells. He has not shown the consistency, but signing him now may be the way to go.......... I dunno.

*** - might be some FA's I missed

Last edited:

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Fully agree with your must re-sign list.

Comments on the 50 / 50 list as follows:

I do want Haggans back next year. I don't see him get beat very often, great leader and work ethic and does make impact plays. Have to limit the number of snaps he gets but is perfect for rotating in with Scho and Acho.

Lutui will be interesting. He came back to us very fat (nothing new) and Hadnot has played fairly well. If Lutui meant what he said about owning up to his weight issue and has shown through his actions and not just his mouth about staying in shape then I see us re-signing him.

Rashad Johnson is getting a good number of snaps on a Defense that is playing rather well even without an elite pass rusher, I'm not sure it's desperate that we upgrade the safety position.

I do want both Feely & Zastudil back unless someone amazing falls into our laps. Feely has missed a couple of FG's he shouldn't have this year but that typically happens to every Kicker at some point and time. Zastudil needs to do a better job of pinning opponents inside the 15 yd line.

Early has seemingly beat the injury bug and has made some big time plays for us. His apparent lack of production falls mainly to our QB struggles this year. If Whiz and Co. think S. Williams and Sampson will emerge then I'm okay with Early moving on.

Agree with the rest of your 50 /50 list.

As for your Let them go List:

Levi Brown is a solid O-lineman, just not a LT. This all depends on money and how much Levi wants and can get as a FA.

BK showed he was becoming a very solid RT before he was injured last year. He has been struggling with that injury this year. I'm not ready to call the experiment a failure yet but I'm not banking on him either at this point.

I agree about Taylor and Holiday.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Let them go:

UFA: Chester Taylor, RB - Thanks for the help, enjoy retirement.

UFA: Vonnie Holliday, DE - Thanks for the help, enjoy retirement.

UFA: Levi Brown, OT - It feels a lot like 2007. Current LT is overpaid, and over whelmed. Don't have a viable LT on the roster after Levi Brown. I don't think the Cardinals have the ability in their front office to find a replacement in free agency. I don't think the Cardinals have the front office to draft a LT. Were screwed. All that being said, are we really going to over pay for the worse LT in the NFL ?

UFA: Brandon Keith, OT - Experiment over. Keep Jeremy Bridges at RT next year, and draft a OT.

Only a blind man like Graves doesn't see....:

Beanie Wells, RB - He is going to be in the last year of his contract during this offseason. After what Wells has shown this season, there is going to be an issue here. No doubt about it. I am not sure what to do with Wells. He has not shown the consistency, but signing him now may be the way to go.......... I dunno.

*** - might be some FA's I missed

My memory is sketchy....but I seem to recall having a huge somewhat questionable pass blocking LT who was a road grader in the run game.....and we just let him go.....and he started going to pro bowls when his new team moved him back to the inside.............

Rather than be the "Fool me twice" *******,...why don't we focus instead on being the team that changes the players position back and gets the pro bowl seasons out of him? Thus getting some long term service out of our first round draft picks......

I dunno...just a suggestion.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My memory is sketchy....but I seem to recall having a huge somewhat questionable pass blocking LT who was a road grader in the run game.....and we just let him go.....and he started going to pro bowls when his new team moved him back to the inside.............

Rather than be the "Fool me twice" *******,...why don't we focus instead on being the team that changes the players position back and gets the pro bowl seasons out of him? Thus getting some long term service out of our first round draft picks......

I dunno...just a suggestion.

The BIG issue with BIG was his false starts and at times struggles with pass protection. Levi has not shown the talent that BIG did when here. I'm all for keeping Levi (if the price is right) and moving him to RT or OG but I doubt he makes the probowl like BIG did in Dallas.

Man, it would be nice to get a true LT on this team.

I also forgot to comment on Beanie Wells. Re-sign him this year. Don't worry about if Williams is going to come back at 100% or not, we need 2 quality RB's and Wells has proved himself this year.

I do expect us to draft another RB this year because of durability concerns with Wells and Williams and the fact that Taylor needs to be upgraded.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The BIG issue with BIG was his false starts and at times struggles with pass protection. Levi has not shown the talent that BIG did when here. I'm all for keeping Levi (if the price is right) and moving him to RT or OG but I doubt he makes the probowl like BIG did in Dallas.

Man, it would be nice to get a true LT on this team.

I also forgot to comment on Beanie Wells. Re-sign him this year. Don't worry about if Williams is going to come back at 100% or not, we need 2 quality RB's and Wells has proved himself this year.

I do expect us to draft another RB this year because of durability concerns with Wells and Williams and the fact that Taylor needs to be upgraded.

We drafted Brown at RT and he should be moved back...or inside....a true franchise type LT would be a blessing though,lol....just do not see us getting one anytime soon. Big got most of those false starts trying to not get beat by speed rushers...like Levi is doing.....IMO Brown would be adequate at RT and maybe phenomenal at RG.....

I agree on Beanie...re-signing him now should be beneficial for both he and the team...he gets paid...the team gets him at a lower price due to durability issues.......Wells...Williams,....and a new rookie would be good.....IMO a true scatback would be good...I like Hyphen...but a lil more speed out of the backfield would be nice.
It generally takes a full season of playing time to see full recovery from those knee injuries, so I do not expect Williams to perform at 100% next season,..but the season after we should see what we have in him.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We drafted Levi at #5 which rarely happens for RT's. He started at RT but I think the plan was always to move him to LT.

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just don't see the Cards dumping Levi. They'll 'find a way' to sign him unlike they did with Dansby. Q. Pace etc... So completely Cardinal like... let the guys go that needed to be kept and keep the guys that don't

I don't see them moving him to OG or RT either if Grimm is retained, which he will be IMO

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
We drafted Levi at #5 which rarely happens for RT's. He started at RT but I think the plan was always to move him to LT.

We drafted a RT that high because it looked like we were going to have a left handed QB and we needed his blind side protected...... unfortunately, contrary to what many believe...it is not easy to change sides......the muscle memory in your footwork mechanics has to be completely retrained.....since it takes most guys 10 years of playing to get good enough to be pros,..not likely they are going to be able to adapt very quickly to a change in sides.
It is easier for guards as they do not have to step out to block speed rushers.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We drafted a RT that high because it looked like we were going to have a left handed QB and we needed his blind side protected...... unfortunately, contrary to what many believe...it is not easy to change sides......the muscle memory in your footwork mechanics has to be completely retrained.....since it takes most guys 10 years of playing to get good enough to be pros,..not likely they are going to be able to adapt very quickly to a change in sides.
It is easier for guards as they do not have to step out to block speed rushers.

I have heard Whiz a couple of times say he doesn't buy into the blindside thing about OT's and QB's. Now maybe that was coach speak but Levi did play LT in college.

I agree about the muscle memory bit but 10 years is a bit extreme.

I still think the plan was to have Levi at LT after a couple of years but you have made some very valid points.

I actually hope we keep Levi, just not as our LT.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
So much investment in TE this year and the position is still in craps... I'm 50/50 for Heap, he can't seem to stay healthy. Should we cut him?

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I just don't see the Cards dumping Levi. They'll 'find a way' to sign him unlike they did with Dansby. Q. Pace etc... So completely Cardinal like... let the guys go that needed to be kept and keep the guys that don't

I don't see them moving him to OG or RT either if Grimm is retained, which he will be IMO

The mind reels and cringes at the thought that Levi Brown will be our starting LT next year.

How many people and times does Levi Brown's extremely poor play be brought front and center and Graves & company just pretend it is not there ?

Seriously, there bust of a 20 million dollar free agent QB, coupled with there bust of a drafted LT, and bust of free agent LG, and eating up a lot of cap space in suckage while players like Calais Campbell are "in hand".

Re-sign what you got, and cut ties with dead wieght, IMO.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Agree on most.

I think Haggens comes back. He knows the system, has shown he can still play, and provides us with more depth at OLB.

I can see Levi being resigned as a RT. Obviously his cap number would need to change, but I'm not sure that there are better options on the FA market for RTs, and I'm sure that we will attempt to address the LT position in the first round of the draft. I don't love this plan, but it does make sense.

I don't see Richard Marshall coming back as I think that he prices himself out of Arizona. He already is rotating w/ Jefferson, add a healthy Toler and Marshall is suddenly fighting to be a 3rd CB. I think that he wants a chance to start, and the dollars that will come with it.

Wells is a pretty tough call, because while he hasn't shown consistency, he will want top RB dollars. He is still very young, and will want a top deal. Honestly, I think it depends on the contract. If he wants deals like Forte and McCoy will get, he will move on. But, if he is ok with DeAngelo Williams dollars, he might be here for a second contract.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Give me two quality starting offensive tackles and more quality O line backup depth across the board and I could live with the status absolutely quo everywhere else (including re-signing Calais and keeping everyone else).

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
So much investment in TE this year and the position is still in craps... I'm 50/50 for Heap, he can't seem to stay healthy. Should we cut him?

I think he'll quietly retire at the end of the year, Faneca-style. This had all the hallmarks of a Emmitt Smith-style publicity contract.

OP
OP
RugbyMuffin

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
I think he'll quietly retire at the end of the year, Faneca-style. This had all the hallmarks of a Emmitt Smith-style publicity contract.

Funny thing is. Jeff King suits me just fine as a full-time TE.

If we need some receiving presence the Cardinals can put in Rob "The hype-machine" Housler.

Heap is a luxiary.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Let Them Go:
Deuce Lutui: He came in out of shape and never got his job back. If he gets in better shape I see him moving on(Just like this year, where he was signed by Buffalo? and failed the physical due to weight).

Mike Leach: This is the guy I could see retiring after this season. I would like him back, but I could see him gone.

Chester Taylor: Time for him to go.

nationsrj

Veteran
Reaction score
Other than his injury problems thru the season, I see Todd Heap returning, for one thing both Kolb and Skelton love him as a safety valve. Unless he feels his body is not up to the pounding.