Colts looking for less than a first round for James

AzWins23

Reaction score
Colts | Looking to Deal James - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:56:13 -0800

ESPNews reports the Indianapolis Colts are looking to trade RB Edgerrin James, the club's franchise player, and are reportedly seeking less than a first-round draft choice in return.

I think he's worth a second!!

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
AzWins23 said:
Colts | Looking to Deal James - from www.KFFL.com
Wed, 9 Mar 2005 12:56:13 -0800

ESPNews reports the Indianapolis Colts are looking to trade RB Edgerrin James, the club's franchise player, and are reportedly seeking less than a first-round draft choice in return.

I think he's worth a second!!

Of course he's worth a 2nd, hell he's worth our first. However we can't afford to take on his tender thus making this whole debate moot.

He isn't coming here

BigJoe

Rookie
Reaction score
So let me throw this out there, and believe me, this is purely hypothetical...what if the Cards can trade their first for EJ? Would that then reduce the rookie pool and free money out of that bucket that can be used to sign him up? I don't know the answer, just asking the question. If people are interested in the Cadillac or Ronnie Brown or whichever back in the second round, why not trade the first for a proven franchise (no pun intended) back rather than one of these gambles in the draft. That leaves the second on back for CB, etc.

Just a thought...

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
if we can get edge, get him. no questions, no quibbling. figure out a way and gitterdone.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
BigJoe said:
So let me throw this out there, and believe me, this is purely hypothetical...what if the Cards can trade their first for EJ? Would that then reduce the rookie pool and free money out of that bucket that can be used to sign him up? I don't know the answer, just asking the question. If people are interested in the Cadillac or Ronnie Brown or whichever back in the second round, why not trade the first for a proven franchise (no pun intended) back rather than one of these gambles in the draft. That leaves the second on back for CB, etc.

Just a thought...
I don't think the Colts have the money to sign a top 10 pick esp another 1st rounder. The reason why they are trading Edge is cause of lack of cap money they have left.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That settles it. Miami is taking a QB in the first round and trading for Edgerrin James with their second and possibly 4th rounder.

azdad1978

Championship!!!!
Reaction score
Pariah said:
That settles it. Miami is taking a QB in the first round and trading for Edgerrin James with their second and possibly 4th rounder.
I thought the Fins gave up their 2nd pick for Feeley?

JPlay

JPlay
Reaction score
We can't afford his salary, plus he'll be up for a new contract. He can't break the long play anymore, there are just as good of backs in the draft.

ThunderCard

Reaction score
If he goes to Miami then one of the 3 RB will drop to us. I hope this trade happens ...

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Evil Ash said:
Of course he's worth a 2nd, hell he's worth our first. However we can't afford to take on his tender thus making this whole debate moot.

He isn't coming here

Edge cannot be traded without agreeing to a long-term deal first. The Cards wouldn't take on his tender.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anothee pipe dream. Edge will never be in a Cards Uniform. No Cap Space available for a deal to be reworked.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
If we could get him for a second round pick I think it's a no brainer. You sign him to a cap friendly contract this year. Big signing bonus with small base salary. I'm with the gitter done crowd on this one.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
About the cap space. From Joe's cap sheet we have an estimated 10 mil in cap space (until the structures of the new contracts are worked out atleast). With 5 mil allocated to the rookie pool, we have about 5 mil avaliable?

Would that be enough?

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Redsz said:
About the cap space. From Joe's cap sheet we have an estimated 10 mil in cap space (until the structures of the new contracts are worked out atleast). With 5 mil allocated to the rookie pool, we have about 5 mil avaliable?

Would that be enough?

He also made a note that his sheet doesn't take into account the new deals we signed with Okeafor, Zellner, etc

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I know the organization said

we are done with free agency but this comes up and any team not satisfied with their HB situatuion has to look hard at this one. How can a owner not say to himself that he doesn't want a guy like James who has returned to his old form and is only 26. He has less injury concerns than Bennett and a better back. If it is as simple a giving them our second pick, you have to do it. First round you draft Rolle or 'Pacman" and know for sure you have a stud back in James. Money? If the Cards or anyone wants him other than say the Titans, there are ways to do it. I would rather have James than Moss and the Raiders gave up their first round pick and a player for him. If the Cards would pull the trigger on this one, it would be official that this franchise has turned the corner. It would be the Emmitt signing to the tenth power.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jetstream Green said:
It would be the Emmitt signing to the tenth power.

It would be signing Emmitt to the MILLIONTH power - you give that Emmitt signing toomuch credit there.

It would unbelievable to get this done - I'm not holding my breath.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
by that I meant

the publicity value and the playing value, two things any owner can't turn a blind eye to. It would be like getting Emmitt in his prime. Yes, we can only wish.

AntSports Steve

Cardinals Future GM
Reaction score
Since his last knee injury, I don't think he's as good as everyone thinks. It seems to me that Alexander is much faster. I do not know if he's worth the money and contract length he would command.

About the rookie cap : Joe's spreadsheet has set aside $4M for rookies. Without a 1st round pick, you could probably move $1.5M of that over to the free agent side and use it to help sign Edge.

If Edge wanted to be a Card and his price was worth it, you could find a way to get him under the cap. A good sized bonus, a guarenteed bonus in a future year and a low salary for 2005 & 06. But, Edge wants to be in Miami.