Commercials before movies

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
This is the sort of thing that can make a guy set off on a 3 state killing spree. Its bad enough that the guy next to me stinks, the kid behind me is kicking my chair and the brilliant young couple brings their newborn baby in....now I have to watch commercials of Pepsi and Target and MOVIEFONE.COM (I hate that one the most)

They just sort of slipped this in, is there any rules about showing commercials to a paid captive audience???

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ryanwb
This is the sort of thing that can make a guy set off on a 3 state killing spree. Its bad enough that the guy next to me stinks, the kid behind me is kicking my chair and the brilliant young couple brings their newborn baby in....now I have to watch commercials of Pepsi and Target and MOVIEFONE.COM (I hate that one the most)

They just sort of slipped this in, is there any rules about showing commercials to a paid captive audience???

Wow you just listed most of the reasons I don't go to the movies but maybe 2 or 3 times a year.

I just watch DVDs at home now. With a decent sized TV and surround sound it is a much better experience IMO.

They already charge 8 bucks they have to sell commercial time as well. :?

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife and I saw 2 movies in the theaters all of last year.

We do as SirChaz said. If we're really interested in something we'll watch it on dvd.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I put up with the movie going experience because I like the previews (which technically are commercials) and I like the darkness, sound and screen size. My patience is really growing thin. The manners of people in general is so substandard now. I actually had a guy answer his cell phone and engage in converstation during "Return of the King"

I can't replicate most of this at home, not even the greasy popcorn!!

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

we went to Last Samurai 2 weekends ago & a baby was crying. An usher had to actually ush them out. What a-holes.

It was like a 7:10 pm movie too, not a matinee.

Grand-pa next to me sounded like he was trying to wake Elvis eating his popcorn - shaking the bag around, stuffing his fist into the bag & then actually licking the butter out of the bag.

And Johnny-2-ton-built-like-a-Peterbilt behind me was making those comments like"mm ohh yeahhh- cool stuff. hhrmph - due got killed" for the whole movie. I turned around to kick his ass * okay - just politely ask him to shut up* then I saw how big he was - and he had every right to make any noise he wanted in there.

And next to me sat a young early-20s Japanese-American kid and his blonde girlfriend. She was cute-cute as a button. Until she started asking him AT ALMOST EVERY FREAKING SCENE "Is that what Japan really looks like" and say "OOH, UH-OH" every FREAKING TIME A KNIFE OR SWORD WAS DRAWN DURING THE WHOLE ENTIRE MOVIE! Listen, you are going to see a FREAKING SAMURAI MOVIE!!! EXPECT KNIVES AND SWORDS!!!

I'll tell ya, after that last movie, we seriously are thinking never to go to another movie in a theater again.

PEOPLE are so rude and arrogant. GET THE MACHETE, RYAN, IT'S TIME TO START THINNING OUT THE HERD!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
OH yeah! The "digging around in the popcorn" guy drives me friggen nuts too. Its like he isn't satisfied with enough to just fill his mouth, he had to fill his entire fist and force feed himself and munch on it for a few minutes before he repeats the process.

Then if you are really lucky you can watch him lick his fingers and wipe the bottom of the bag and spit the unpopped kernals onto the floor.

This is only topped by the ice eating guy who slams back his empty soda container and the sound of the ice echos through the theater while he crunches down during the rest of the movie

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
Re: Re: Commercials before movies

Originally posted by jkf296

PEOPLE are so rude and arrogant. GET THE MACHETE, RYAN, IT'S TIME TO START THINNING OUT THE HERD!

:shock:

I can imagine the theater looking like a scene from Kill Bill

"YOUR CHEWING YOU POPCORN TOO LOUD....DIE MF DIE!!!!"

*Holding machete* "OK WHO IS SLURPING THEIR SODA?!?!?"

:D

Never realized ushers were actually there to "ush" people. :cool:

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OH yeah! The "digging around in the popcorn" guy drives me friggen nuts too. Its like he isn't satisfied with enough to just fill his mouth, he had to fill his entire fist and force feed himself and munch on it for a few minutes before he repeats the process.

Then if you are really lucky you can watch him lick his fingers and wipe the bottom of the bag and spit the unpopped kernals onto the floor.

This is only topped by the ice eating guy who slams back his empty soda container and the sound of the ice echos through the theater while he crunches down during the rest of the movie

we must go to the same movies. I got that guy too. And the 2 "cool" dudes who get up 5 times and go to the lobby, doing the runway walk in front of everyone.

Next time, I'm gonna sit in the back row and buy like 8 boxes of Raisinettes and go S.W.A.T. on everyone's ass! BOO-YAH!!!

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I want to go in somebody's ear and yell like Sam Kinison when they do that crap

Ohhh ohhh OHHHHHHH!

You must be registered for see images

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
we must go to the same movies. I got that guy too. And the 2 "cool" dudes who get up 5 times and go to the lobby, doing the runway walk in front of everyone.

Next time, I'm gonna sit in the back row and buy like 8 boxes of Raisinettes and go S.W.A.T. on everyone's ass! BOO-YAH!!!

The last movie I saw was the Last Samurai and I had the all the same types of offenders....but I doubt you were there because I saw it on the day of the Super Bowl at the Stapley Theaters

jf-08

chohan
Administrator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The last movie I saw was the Last Samurai and I had the all the same types of offenders....but I doubt you were there because I saw it on the day of the Super Bowl at the Stapley Theaters

We saw it same place, but night before.

You'd think they were Guinea men or something.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We saw it same place, but night before.

You'd think they were Guinea men or something.

I also hate it when you are the first ones in the theater and there are like 450 open seats and the next two people who walk in either sit right behind you, infront or next to you.

I'm writing a book!

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've noticed those commercials too. The worst is that Best Buy commercial with the stupid submarine - telling us they appreciate us using their phones but "now is not the time." Blah blah blah!

I hate it when a bunch of childish teenagers come and in proceed to make ignorant comments about the people on screen. For example, I saw "Chasing Liberty" last month with my girlfriends and the stupid boys behind us kept talking about how they wanted to "do" Mandy Moore (who's in the movie if ya didnt know :) ) and just other stupid lockeroom crap that's really annoying when you're trying to watch Mandy and her gorgeous co-star.

Bah!

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
As to all the complaints on moviegoers, I can certainly feel your pain. Had a guy answer and talk on his cell phone TWICE during the ending of Minority Report...second time almost brought me into fisticuffs with him. He completely backed down, so I didn't go after him-maybe he got a little scared when the 'man-mountain', or 'godzilla', as I'm lovingly referred to, stood up ;)

At any rate, I didn't miss much...Minority Report was very good, but the ending sucked. :thumbup:

Stout

Reaction score
To address the topic of the thread: We should count ourselves blessed. In Europe, you get like 20 minutes of commercials (maybe 10-15, I never timed it), THEN the previews, before the movie starts. I almost died the few times I went to movies over there.

Of course, it was all made worthwhile when I was able to see Independence Day in France, IN FRICKIN' ENGLISH!!! That's right, froggies, a celebration of MY FREE COUNTRY in your OWN country in MY LANGUAGE!!! Muhahahahahahahahaha!!!

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Originally posted by Stout
To address the topic of the thread: We should count ourselves blessed. In Europe, you get like 20 minutes of commercials (maybe 10-15, I never timed it), THEN the previews, before the movie starts. I almost died the few times I went to movies over there.

Of course, it was all made worthwhile when I was able to see Independence Day in France, IN FRICKIN' ENGLISH!!! That's right, froggies, a celebration of MY FREE COUNTRY in your OWN country in MY LANGUAGE!!! Muhahahahahahahahaha!!!

Also, in Holland, they put in a mandatory intermission--so people can get up and go get a beer in the middle of the movie. (I saw Total Recall like that)

Stout

Reaction score
Originally posted by Chaplin
Also, in Holland, they put in a mandatory intermission--so people can get up and go get a beer in the middle of the movie. (I saw Total Recall like that)

You know what, I did experience that, but I figured it was totally normal...the movie was Saving Private Ryan.

Everyone was puzzled to see me weeping when I left...but then, I was an American soldier watching this in Amsterdam, so go figure.

I don't usually cry in a movie, but sometimes, there's no helping it. The one that nailed me the worst was Blackhawk Down. I get misty just thinking about it. Aside from the normal stuff, this was almost completely MY army...the U.S. Army from MY day and age. Mix in the emotion with the thought that it could well have been ME out there, and I lost it.

So, now that we know Stout's a girly-big man, I return you to the regularly scheduled thread.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Its cool Stout, I loose it all the time at movies. "Braveheart", christ, I am of the theory that my girlfriend at the time broke up with me because I got so torn up at the end of that movie....musta thought I was a girlyman

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Im a netflix guy. WHat getrs me pissed is that now rental DVDs are coming with mst see (meaning you cant menu through them) and ads. Advertising is the worst money maker ever. I think all advertising other than word of mouth should be outlawed. Id pay for TV if I didnt have to watch any ads.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by schutd
Id pay for TV if I didnt have to watch any ads.

I pay for TV and I still see ads...it is getting out of hand. I noticed that crap with the DVD's too, what a ******

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiev22