Convinced?

Andrew

flamboyantly righteous!
Reaction score
The Phoenix Suns CAN play grind- it- out defense and proved it with the win over the San Antonio Spurs.

They clamped up on their defense from the start and while it weaned a few times throughout, hustle and defense were strong in the last 5 minutes of the game.

Get this stat; the Spurs had 2 points in the last 5 minutes.

You read right, 2 points. The team, collectively, decided to play defense and it was beautiful to see.

The offense will struggle from time to time, but they have no trouble scoring. However, the defense I saw has convinced me they can beat the Spurs in the playoffs if they eventually meet up.

I saw a lot of passion out there, fouls not getting called, coaches pissed off. That is what I like to see, intensity. This wasn’t just a normal regular season game, it was a statement.

What a great game.

So are you convinced?

Darth Llama

Rise Up Red Sea!
Reaction score
Not fully, but it does a lot to help dispel some doubt.

There is a big difference between winning a regular season game and winning a 7 game playoff series. That being said though, before this game, I probably would have said the Suns would have no chance against the Spurs in a series. They proved that's indeed not the case and they can still compete with the best.

Can they do it for 7 games? I don't know, but at least now there is question. If Shaq can play like that in the playoffs, the Suns are going to be very difficult to overcome for any team. So far, there isn't a single team in the West that I feel is a lock to even get out of the first round.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
great game, not convinced yet i want to see consistency on defense and energy in every game.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
I want to see Amare and Shaq able to play without foul trouble... Meaning give a few minuites here or there to Skinner or Marks

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I never had any doubt that they would be fine eventually. I am glad that it's finally happening. Can't afford to lose many games in the west at this point.

Great work by Shaq and Co.

French Fries

Mangaworm
Reaction score
i'm gonna be conservative here and assume that the suns just played their best ball since the trade yet. i'm not gonna measure our chances on one win because we're still below 500...

but boy it should be awesome to use a win against spurs to start a 20 game winning streak...

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Must win for us and Im excited, but I do recognize that it is just one game after a series of miserable games. If we go on a run and make the playoffs (with a reasonable matchup) thats enough to convince me that this trade was worth it

arwillan

The King
Reaction score
The offense will struggle from time to time, but they have no trouble scoring.

:confused:

and no, i am not convinced. I love how after one loss everyone says we have no chance and we suck and nash sucks and whatever else, yet after we win one game you ask if we're convinced that we can win and play defense. One win and one game of decent defense doesn't excuse countless other games of crappy defense and poor offense to go with it. sorry, it will take a lot more than this. if we can rattle of 5 or 6 in a row, come ask me if i'm convinced. until then, i am hardly more convinced than i was this morning.

Last edited:

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Won't happen. One or both of those guys will always play with foul trouble.

This is one of my biggest issues with D'Antoni's rotation right now. I like Skinner in 8-10 minute bursts, in particular. He's a capable shot blocker and rebounder in limited stints, and those skills have been rewarded with a permanent job as a male Suns cheerleader.

Is there something magical to having Diaw play center that I may have overlooked? Because it generally doesn't work well (turnover...turnover...), and I thought that's what D'Antoni used to do only when he didn't actually have legitimate bigs to play the 5.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Because putting Skinner in makes us play a "Shaq-like" player at center the entire game. And we all know the Suns still want to run.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
This is one of my biggest issues with D'Antoni's rotation right now. I like Skinner in 8-10 minute bursts, in particular. He's a capable shot blocker and rebounder in limited stints, and those skills have been rewarded with a permanent job as a male Suns cheerleader.

Is there something magical to having Diaw play center that I may have overlooked? Because it generally doesn't work well (turnover...turnover...), and I thought that's what D'Antoni used to do only when he didn't actually have legitimate bigs to play the 5.

And when one of these guys fouls out and has to put in Skinner, who hasnt played in 10 games, he has no idea what hes doing out there. Hes gonna be cold

pokerface

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Putting Shaq on TD puts a whole new twist on the Suns/Spurs rivalry. Duncan didnt go off on the Suns as usual...

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
Because putting Skinner in makes us play a "Shaq-like" player at center the entire game. And we all know the Suns still want to run.

And here is the exact problem. Getting out and running and having a natural 5 or 4/5 are not mutually exclusive things.

The inclusion of Shaq in the rotation has taught us that. The Suns are still getting fast break points, still pushing hard in transition with O'Neal on the floor. So why would playing the "Shaq-like" Skinner in limited minutes really be so questionable a move?

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
And here is the exact problem. Getting out and running and having a natural 5 or 4/5 are not mutually exclusive things.

The inclusion of Shaq in the rotation has taught us that. The Suns are still getting fast break points, still pushing hard in transition with O'Neal on the floor. So why would playing the "Shaq-like" Skinner in limited minutes really be so questionable a move?

In a game like this? Sounds like you just want to find something to complain about. And granted, this is an issue that is on the table, but would Skinner have done much tonight? Certainly nothing like what Shaq and Amare did. Of course, you could counter that he could have done at worst what Diaw produced today. But one of the things to understand is that Boris, for all his faults, is defended a lot differently than Skinner would be. Diaw gives us some really interesting matchup issues (especially on the low block) that Skinner couldn't give us.

BeeBeard

Throw some Bees on that.
Reaction score
In a game like this? Sounds like you just want to find something to complain about. And granted, this is an issue that is on the table, but would Skinner have done much tonight? Certainly nothing like what Shaq and Amare did. Of course, you could counter that he could have done at worst what Diaw produced today. But one of the things to understand is that Boris, for all his faults, is defended a lot differently than Skinner would be. Diaw gives us some really interesting matchup issues (especially on the low block) that Skinner couldn't give us.

I'm not talking about reducing either Amare's or Shaq's minutes. Far from it. I'm suggesting that when the natural bigs are on the bench, the Suns can do better at the center position than a player who is hopelessly overpowered, at just 6'8" and a very generous 235 pounds.

And did we watch the same game? Because every time Diaw received the ball on the low block, he was whipping his pivot foot around like a human windmill and causing an insta-turnover. In fact, this is the second game in a row where it's been a huge issue. If it's really controversial to suggest that the Suns can do much, much better than that at the 5, then so be it.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm not talking about reducing either Amare's or Shaq's minutes. Far from it. I'm suggesting that when the natural bigs are on the bench, the Suns can do better at the center position than a player who is hopelessly overpowered, at just 6'8" and a very generous 235 pounds.

And did we watch the same game? Because every time Diaw received the ball on the low block, he was whipping his pivot foot around like a human windmill and causing an insta-turnover. In fact, this is the second game in a row where it's been a huge issue. If it's really controversial to suggest that the Suns can do much, much better than that at the 5, then so be it.

I'm not saying I agree with it 100%, but I'm saying it's understandable.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This was a very nice win, but I would like to see the suns play with this kind of energy in a stretch of games rather then just one game.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
we all said the very same thing after beating boston.

I know you hate the team right now, but this is a much bigger win than Boston was. We won that game ugly. We won this one playing our game with better defense.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In a game like this? Sounds like you just want to find something to complain about. And granted, this is an issue that is on the table, but would Skinner have done much tonight?
Using Skinner today, and every game, he would develop chemistry. It's invaluable.

I'm surprised that you asked, "Would Skinner have done much tonight?" That's D'Anton's gig -- thinking of today.

We're setting up a repeat of Kurt Thomas being thrust into the rotation for Game 2 last year. Too little, too late.

YouJustGotSUNSD

Custom User Title!
Reaction score
I would be fully content giving diaw's minutes to skinner for the last stretch of the regular season, then calling diaw out to make him earn his minutes back.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05