COPA

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you not just say "We're playing a low block and let them try to break us down" after going up a goal while down a man? Flipping crazy.
That's exactly what he did at half time and brought in Vickers to do so. It ultimately failed, but Gregg (don't really trust anyone who spells Gregg with 3 Gs) did exactly what you wanted.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't see the USA beating Uruguay. and there's a scenario where they could win that game and still not qualify. greg has to get fired if they don't make it out of the group. I have a hard time seeing this team beating Uruguay and a Colombia/Brazil back to back.
It would come down to goal differential and US only scored two against Bolivia. We right now have a 2 goal difference. If we win against Uruguay, Panama would need to beat us Bolivia by 3 goals more than we beat Uruguay by.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
That's exactly what he did at half time and brought in Vickers to do so. It ultimately failed, but Gregg (don't really trust anyone who spells Gregg with 3 Gs) did exactly what you wanted.
At halftime. With a player we don't like. The minute you get that goal, you defend the lead for all it's worth. Then, if the other team finally gets a breakthrough, you still have a draw on your hands. Instead he waited until halftime, when the lead was long gone.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At halftime. With a player we don't like. The minute you get that goal, you defend the lead for all it's worth. Then, if the other team finally gets a breakthrough, you still have a draw on your hands. Instead he waited until halftime, when the lead was long gone.
It's hard to be critical of him in that scenario. We didn't give up a (2nd) goal in the first half and we played pretty well in the first half overall.

You expected the change immediately after the first goal? Virtually no coach does this; not with 65 minutes left to play

Last edited:

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
It's hard to be critical of him in that scenario. We didn't give up a (2nd) goal in the first half and we played pretty well in the first half overall.

You expected the change immediately after the first goal? Virtually no coach does this; not with 65 minutes left to play
No coach in a team down to 10 men protects a 1-goal lead? Okay. So, in your eyes, Berhalter's good?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No coach in a team down to 10 men protects a 1-goal lead?
Not immediately in the 22'. Nope, no way.

Okay. So, in your eyes, Berhalter's good?

Oh hell no. I have always hated him as our coach and hated it more that he was re-signed. I just feel your criticism of not setting up shop in the 22nd minute is unjustified.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
It would come down to goal differential and US only scored two against Bolivia. We right now have a 2 goal difference. If we win against Uruguay, Panama would need to beat us Bolivia by 3 goals more than we beat Uruguay by.
that's good to hear I didn't realize the GD was that large already between USA and Panama. if anything it's a small victory that USA only gave up 2 goals in the game. but Bolivia look like they are on par to give up 5 goals per game. the fact that USA did not score a couple more vs. Bolivia is still a possible regret.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's good to hear I didn't realize the GD was that large already between USA and Panama. if anything it's a small victory that USA only gave up 2 goals in the game. but Bolivia look like they are on par to give up 5 goals per game. the fact that USA did not score a couple more vs. Bolivia is still a possible regret.
I wouldn't be surprised if Panama can't beat Bolivia too. They both play nearly the same style.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Mexico eliminated in Glendale. Their fans are still chanting slurs and I guess that doesn't matter anymore. It was funny watching them go crazy on the penalty call and then realize it was not a penalty.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
two things I've noticed in the first 30 mins of this game. One turner is holding this team back. he is a handicap with his feet. this ref is also not up for this game.
Love Turner’s story but how did US Soccer go so astray they can’t develop good keepers anymore??

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they have to find a better goalkeeper for the World Cup. he can't kick the ball beyond basic level passes.
I would be completely surprised if another GK comes in the picture before the WC.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
they have to find a better goalkeeper for the World Cup. he can't kick the ball beyond basic level passes.
Honestly - who? Horvath, who can't unseat Turner at Nottingham Forest? Zack Steffen, after he dipped back to MLS after failing in Europe? Sean Johnson, who has never played outside MLS? Drake Callender, who suddenly got really good when Messi and his friends came over?

There are some potential young guys on the longer term horizon if they develop (19 year old Gaga Slonina is with Chelsea, but was out on loan in the Belgian league this past season, and 18 year old Diego Kochen has been with Barca since 2019, but has just 1 appearance for their B team at the senior level so far). But certainly not ready for the World Cup.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
Honestly - who? Horvath, who can't unseat Turner at Nottingham Forest? Zack Steffen, after he dipped back to MLS after failing in Europe? Sean Johnson, who has never played outside MLS? Drake Callender, who suddenly got really good when Messi and his friends came over?

There are some potential young guys on the longer term horizon if they develop (19 year old Gaga Slonina is with Chelsea, but was out on loan in the Belgian league this past season, and 18 year old Diego Kochen has been with Barca since 2019, but has just 1 appearance for their B team at the senior level so far). But certainly not ready for the World Cup.
IDK and that's a problem. IDK if this team can do anything beyond what they have shown in the last 2 years with Turner at goal. In today's game more than ever your GK has to be involved in the build up play and turner is a weak link that holds them back in that regard. Turner is very reliable at defending his net, so I see the idea of wanting him on the roster. IMO turner has to be replaced just as the manager needs to be replaced. those are 2 weak links when we watch them match up vs. other top sides.