Could Clancy Pendergast be better than when Green was here?

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Alot of people have been down on Pendergast lately, but wasn't he playing within Greens system? Would he still run the UT with Dockett? Would he keep Rolle at CB instead of Safety? Was he the one who benched Macklin? Would he have kept Pace at LB or even on the team. The areas where Green was overbearing, from my view, was in the type of schemes the team played and in the personnel. It's been said that while we were beating the Bears, Green took over the playcalling because he wanted to be more conservative. We know how that worked out. I just wonder how much Pendy's hands were tied. Maybe that's why the Cards execs want him to stay on board.

Ohio Cards Fan

Veteran
Reaction score
I would never even take a chance on someone from Green's staff. Who knows how far the cancer has spread?

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Alot of people have been down on Pendergast lately, but wasn't he playing within Greens system? Would he still run the UT with Dockett? Would he keep Rolle at CB instead of Safety? Was he the one who benched Macklin? Would he have kept Pace at LB or even on the team. The areas where Green was overbearing, from my view, was in the type of schemes the team played and in the personnel. It's been said that while we were beating the Bears, Green took over the playcalling because he wanted to be more conservative. We know how that worked out. I just wonder how much Pendy's hands were tied. Maybe that's why the Cards execs want him to stay on board.

I had never heard that Green took over the D. I do remember him benching Macklin and while making an example of someone early in the season is OK if you have a competent backup, we didn't and Green ended up looking foolish. Our D was just bad in my opinion.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes sense, since Green was always "defense first" and had the rep of being a defensive genius. Oh, wait a minute, it doesn't make much sense.

I hope like heck that Green was responsible for both a bad defense and a bad offense. Let's go ahead and pin Rackers' bad year on him too. It sure would be nice if that was the case.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Makes sense, since Green was always "defense first" and had the rep of being a defensive genius. Oh, wait a minute, it doesn't make much sense.

I hope like heck that Green was responsible for both a bad defense and a bad offense. Let's go ahead and pin Rackers' bad year on him too. It sure would be nice if that was the case.

I also heard Green was the cause of Warner dropping the ball when a mild breeze came by.

40yearfan

DEFENSE!!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Good idea to blame Green.

My third cousin, twice removed got injured when old Blue jumped her as she bent over to tie her shoes and my coon dog got the mange. It's all Dennis Green's fault.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Clancy

Our defense might improve, with or without Clancy, with a better defensive backs coach than Solomon. I remember that there was a lot of criticism of Solomon, when DG named him as the DB coach.

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Clancy has a decent reputation in the NFL. He is not a "Denny guy". It made sense to keep him under his current contract and allow the new HC to make the final decision on keeping him.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Good idea to blame Green.

My third cousin, twice removed got injured when old Blue jumped her as she bent over to tie her shoes and my coon dog got the mange. It's all Dennis Green's fault.

you're my boy,Blue.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Blame Richard Solomon for lousy technique, but not for lousy schemes...that's on Pendergast. It's awfully hard, for exapmle, to excuse the fact that versus the Chargers TE Antonio Gates was wide open on passing downs...twice there was no Cardinal defender with a seven yard radius of him. How any team can prepare for the Chargers and not account for and focus on Gates is beyond one's imagination. That's the real issue...

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blame Richard Solomon for lousy technique, but not for lousy schemes...that's on Pendergast. It's awfully hard, for exapmle, to excuse the fact that versus the Chargers TE Antonio Gates was wide open on passing downs...twice there was no Cardinal defender with a seven yard radius of him. How any team can prepare for the Chargers and not account for and focus on Gates is beyond one's imagination. That's the real issue...

LT is a good reason to lose a little focus on Gates. Just kidding, but we also have to keep in mind a players misses assignment. Can you really imagine Pendy calling a defense and saying "Don't worry about Gates on this play".???

In respone to the original post, Pendy should only be retained IF ,and I mean IF, the new head coach truly is happy what he brings to the table. We will never know how much influence Green had on any phase of this team.

He fired Wiley. Why? Was it because they didn't agree on who should start or type line scheme?
He fired Woods. Why? Because Woods didn't call the plays Green liked?
He fired Rowen. The guy he REALY wanted in the first place. Why? Was it because the plays he called or was it because he wouldn't caall the plays that Green wanted?
We will never know how much imput Green had from minute to minute in a game. We do know he was good at firing people for things that went wrong.
A head coach should not have to fire a coach in the middle of a season. A staff should be able to sit down, analyze, rehash, and regroup after a game, a player lost to injury, or a player who just isn't playing well. That seemed to be a major weakness in Greens tenure. But thats something we will never know.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wouldnt everyone be stoked if rolle moved to FS and we took the top cb in the nation? I dunno who that cb is but hopefully hes taller and fster than all ofour mini cb's

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wouldnt everyone be stoked if rolle moved to FS and we took the top cb in the nation? I dunno who that cb is but hopefully hes taller and fster than all ofour mini cb's

If Rolle was in this draft, he'd be the top rated corner.

dogpoo32

meh
Reaction score
If Rolle was in this draft, he'd be the top rated corner.

I think he may still have some hope at CB. I'm hoping to heck that it was scheme/ignorant coaches who have set him back. If that is the case, and Pendy stays, then I hope they move him to FS.

Rohinic

Reaction score
I kind of asked the same question myself, but I guess the other question here is something Mitch touched on elsewhere, that being the fact the Steelers ran a 3-4 Defense. Do you think this is something CP might be interested in installing here (if he sticks, of course)? Would it give us a better Defense or not?

I know he's dabbled with it at times during his tenure and we seem to have the personnel for it - DT's who could be 3-4 Ends (Dockett, Clancy, Cooper, Smith, Lewis); quick-ish LB's (Hayes, Dansby, Pace, Blackstock, Johnson); and corners who could potentially play closer to their man.

It would certainly affect who we go after in Free Agency and the Draft!

Redrage

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Solomon was a big problem on the coaching staff. Remeber, when he left the Vikes their DB play improved dramatically.

I'm not willing to write off Rolle and Green yet. I still draft a corner high, but those guys might respond to some quality coaching.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
Here is the only reason why I might give Clancy the benefit of the doubt:

I was in an organization where middle management was sprinkled with the CEO's "guys".

The execs who had to manage those guys were in a tough situation -- there were managing people who couldnt be held accountable because the CEO not only thought they were great employees, but also was personal friends with them.

ChandlerCard

Now living in Scottsdale
Reaction score
Judge Clancy on his schemes. He got a lot out of a defense despite being hamstrung at some positions and with some position coaches. Like Whisenhunt, he's young, fired up, with a brilliant defensive mind. I'd like to see what he can do if gievn the autonomy to do it next year.

Then again, a bird in the hand...

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
My problem is Loyalty. Clancy has always been a Denny Green Guy.

I can't help but think that this had to do with Finances, not Football.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
My problem is Loyalty. Clancy has always been a Denny Green Guy.

I can't help but think that this had to do with Finances, not Football.

Clancy never worked for Green prior to AZ, so how was he always a Denny Green guy?

EDIT: I'm not saying keeping Pendergast is a good thing because if you go by numbers alone the Cardinals defense wasn't very good. If they do keep him I sure hope they don't give him an extension.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CardShark

CardShark

DEAL WITH IT!
Reaction score
Clancy worked for Green and had to employ Green's defensive theories into his schemes. What's to say that he completely agreed with him? If he stays on the team, we might see what he really wants to do. I get the feeling that Whis will let him run the defense with a great degree of autonomy.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
IIRC Denny hired him from Cleveland.

Loyalty stems from being part of the staff together for the last 3 years.... Always is the word I regret using.

They came in together, they should have left together.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Clancy worked for Green and had to employ Green's defensive theories into his schemes. What's to say that he completely agreed with him? If he stays on the team, we might see what he really wants to do. I get the feeling that Whis will let him run the defense with a great degree of autonomy.

You know what.... That might work.

I just hope he uses Adrian like he did in 2005. And the Blitzing schemes increase.