Cowboys | Talks with L. Davis heating up

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
No one with put up with a guy dogging it for 5/6 years. That is really crazy. Anyone who dogs it is just that and anyone who is foolish enough to sign a check for $500,000 a game for a guy like that IS REALLY goofy.

What a joke. He did not turn out to be Orlando Pace or J. Ogden but how the hell can you say he "dogged it" for 5 or 6 years? That is total BS.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesnt even make any face to face visits, yet he is in negotiations with 3 teams in the first 8 hours of free agency.

Yeah, we would not have been able to trade him.:sarcasm:

nobody would have given us crap for him. lets get over it people. Just because hes negotiating between a few teams during FA doesnt make it so.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a joke. He did not turn out to be Orlando Pace or J. Ogden but how the hell can you say he "dogged it" for 5 or 6 years? That is total BS.

No its not. He absolutely dogged it at times in a Cardinal uni. That is not BS but a friggin fact.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cowboys | Talks with L. Davis heating up
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 23:22:00 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports talks between the Dallas Cowboys and free agent OT Leonard Davis (Cardinals) are heating up. Davis has not scheduled a trip because he is negotiating with at least three NFC East teams.

One of you guys who know this stuff: if Davis were close to real deals, wouldn't he be visiting teams? This sounds more like what an agent would tell the press to create more demand for his guy.

Somebody will surely take LD, but will he get the huge payday he wants?

I'm with you, Jo, this reeks of agent-planted news but I do think Leonard will indeed get his huge payday, maybe by this afternoon.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
nobody would have given us crap for him. lets get over it people. Just because hes negotiating between a few teams during FA doesnt make it so.

Bull...we have a history of losing guys with no compensation. Are you telling me that not a single team would have given us a 7th rd pick for LD but we gave a 6th rd pick for Gorin?

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
More often than he\should have to be sure. Which is NEVER!

2006 was his worst year as a Pro. There is a difference between not living up to expectations and dogging it. Apparantly, he dogged it the first half of this season but that has not been said prior to this year...a dissapointment, yes.

If 2006 would have been his best year, I am sure you would have been saying not to pay a guy who only performed in his contract year.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bull...we have a history of losing guys with no compensation. Are you telling me that not a single team would have given us a 7th rd pick for LD but we gave a 6th rd pick for Gorin?

Sure. Anything meaning anything of value. A 7th round pick isnt value. I would rather let him go via FA and have a chance to sign him rather then give up his rights permanently for a lousy 4th 5th 6th or 7th rounder.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score

Heres the deal - like it or not

The Bidwills live by not only the letter, but the spirit of NFL rules. Period.

That means when the NFL says -- the franchise tag shouldnt be used solely to get compensation for a player -- that means the Cardinals wont do that. Doesnt matter if other NFL teams have done it or not -- they wont.

Same with the "everybody does it" thing on working free agent deals prior to the start of free agency.

Its just the way it is.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Sure. Anything meaning anything of value. A 7th round pick isnt value. I would rather let him go via FA and have a chance to sign him rather then give up his rights permanently for a lousy 4th 5th 6th or 7th rounder.

Make up your mind.

You said nobody would give up "crap" for him but now you say we could get a 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th rd pick. However, that would be bad to give up his rights for such little compensation...but you said he doggs it and you act like you don't want him back at all.

Which is it?

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I guess you are right. Only the Cards could screw up not getting something out of a high demand player that is being sought after by 3 teams that havent even met with him. The guy doesnt even have to leave his house and 3 teams are after him.

We got a 3rd rounder for a worse player in Starks, how in the world could we have gotten anything for a player who is being sought after by 3 teams.

CArds could learn a lesson or 2 from Denver.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Nobody has any proof that Davis ever "dogged" it. He might not have played as well as people would have liked but unless you have actually heard it from someone who was on the field with him you don't know if he was throwin' off.

Now here's the real deal on Leonard. If he re-signs with the Cards he's a great player and a wonderful human being. If he signs with another team he's a bum. If he signs with Dallas he's a fat, lazy, tiptoe bandit, scumbag.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I would rather let him go via FA and have a chance to sign him...
Shane has a good point here guys. Maybe we are going to try to sign Leonard. If we traded him, we wouldn't be able to do it.

Renz

An Army of One
Reaction score
Now here's the real deal on Leonard. If he re-signs with the Cards he's a great player and a wonderful human being. If he signs with another team he's a bum. If he signs with Dallas he's a fat, lazy, tiptoe bandit, scumbag.

Right, because L.D. never got any criticism from this board in the past. :rolleyes:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Nobody has any proof that Davis ever "dogged" it. He might not have played as well as people would have liked but unless you have actually heard it from someone who was on the field with him you don't know if he was throwin' off.

Don't screw up this argument with reason.

I will go on record saying LD was our best Olineman and I would love to have him back but if he's gone, he will make a pro bowl within 2 years.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Shane, I would agree with you if you honestly thought that we would resign him. I don't think that we will but I have to also say that it is different because he is a free agent and not a player with you year left on his contract. If he had one year left I hope that the Cardinals would be smart enough move him for something.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Shane, I would agree with you if you honestly thought that we would resign him. I don't think that we will but I have to also say that it is different because he is a free agent and not a player with you year left on his contract. If he had one year left I hope that the Cardinals would be smart enough move him for something.

If they were serious about signing him but wanted to see what his true market value was...they could have transition tagged him.

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Right, because L.D. never got any criticism from this board in the past. :rolleyes:

Any player who signs with the Cowboys instantly becomes a fat,lazy,tiptoe bandit scumbag.

:doi:

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make up your mind.

You said nobody would give up "crap" for him but now you say we could get a 4th, 5th, 6th, or 7th rd pick. However, that would be bad to give up his rights for such little compensation...but you said he doggs it and you act like you don't want him back at all.

Which is it?

Call it word play then. When I say crap I mjean anything worth having. If you trade him for lets say a 4th. The likelyhood of you geting anything of value is slim to none. Yet you gave up your only chance to sign him back. Thats just STUUUPID! Yes I dont think anyone would have given anything more than a 4TH at the very most for an overrated underachieving LT.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

If LD signs with the Card he will be exactly what he is. A talented underachiever who doesnt give it his all every play. Will he still be our best OL? Yes. But thats not saying much.

I find it hard to believe Duck that you would be defending him like this if he was from Michigan.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
If LD signs with the Card he will be exactly what he is. A talented underachiever who doesnt give it his all every play. Will he still be our best OL? Yes. But thats not saying much.

I find it hard to believe Duck that you would be defending him like this if he was from Michigan.

No, I'd be defending him because he would be a Cardinal. He'd be a bum if he played for anyone else except Dallas and then he'd be a fat,lazy scumbag because I "hate" Dallas.

Same thing applies to all players not just the BIGG guy. If a guy plays for us I think he's great (at least until they lose 5 or 6 in a row and then they're all bums until the next Cardinal victory when they become great again.), once he leaves to play for someone else I think he's a bum. On occasion there is a really good guy who gets a "wish him well unless he's playing against the Cardinals" pass.

The only exception to Duckjake's Cardinal rule is Jason Blownsavinghausen. He's a bum. Period.

I hope everyone understands what I was trying to say now.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
ESPN's reporting that Davis is in Dallas today. They may not want Colombo back, though Colombo really wants to stay in Dallas.