Cowboys | Talks with L. Davis heating up

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 23:22:00 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports talks between the Dallas Cowboys and free agent OT Leonard Davis (Cardinals) are heating up. Davis has not scheduled a trip because he is negotiating with at least three NFC East teams.

Cowboys, 49'ers and us?

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
It says NFC east, so I'd assume it meant the Cowboys and any choice of the Eagles, Giants, and Redskins.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
It says NFC east, so I'd assume it meant the Cowboys and any choice of the Eagles, Giants, and Redskins.

Ha, didn't even notice the East.

But don't you think that is a mistake? It says at least three NFC East teams, but should it have been three NFC teams? To me it just seems pretty weird that the Eagles and Redskins are in the market for Big.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
Ha, didn't even notice the East.

But don't you think that is a mistake? It says at least three NFC East teams, but should it have been three NFC teams? To me it just seems pretty weird that the Eagles and Redskins are in the market for Big.

The Redskins are in the market for EVERYBODY. The other team was likely the Giants with the cutting of Pettigout and the retiring of their other LT, they are in the market for him.

You may be right though, its possibly just a typo

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
He will sign with Dallas. Closer to his home. There is no doubt he was just waiting for the day he could work in Texas. He will be outstanding for the Cowboys. Always felt he held back waiting for the day he could bolt.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score
He will sign with Dallas. Closer to his home. There is no doubt he was just waiting for the day he could work in Texas. He will be outstanding for the Cowboys. Always felt he held back waiting for the day he could bolt.

I don't think a player holds back for 5-6 years.
If he goes to the Pukes it won't matter cuz they're on a downslide with Wade Phillips as coach, Jerry Jones is losing it.
If he goes to NY, the fans will tear him up when he has multiple penalties.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
He doesnt even make any face to face visits, yet he is in negotiations with 3 teams in the first 8 hours of free agency.

Yeah, we would not have been able to trade him.:sarcasm:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He doesnt even make any face to face visits, yet he is in negotiations with 3 teams in the first 8 hours of free agency.

With you 100%. I don't even want to think about it.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Give me a break.

He held back waiting for the day he could bolt? :biglaugh:

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score

Yep...add him to the list of Simeon Rice, David Boston, and Jake Plummer. Guys who had value in a trade but we let walk for nothing.

And before anyone jumps in...value could have been a 5th rd pick! It's still better than jack squat.

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
courtesy of BostonCard
I visit a site called nflfans.com on their messageboard there are a few guys who have real inside info , some of them work for Sporting News this was posted by a guy who i know for a fact has contacts with the Bills, Cowboys, and Browns so here you go. His screen name is SDOGO and he is very reliable , breaks a lot of news . Here is the post:

Spoke to Leonards agent just about 5 minutes ago. The huge OT has contract offers from Dallas, NY Giants and Redskins. As I'm told the Giants have the best offer but Davis is not thrilled about playing for Coughlin or in NY, the Skins have a fair deal on the table and the Cowboys deal is sweet and Daivs would like to return to Texas and play in a warm weather city but Dallas wants him to kick inside to guard which diminishes his value.
Got this off another forum ..

This sounds about right .. Davis would not want to work under Coughlin because he would have to work too hard .. and Dallas wants him to move inside .. then Washington would be the deciding factor .. if he insists on playing tackle and getting paid as a tackle then that will dictate where he signs ..

I say he is after the $$ and goes where he can play tackle ..

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Got this off another forum ..

This sounds about right .. Davis would not want to work under Coughlin because he would have to work too hard .. and Dallas wants him to move inside .. then Washington would be the deciding factor .. if he insists on playing tackle and getting paid as a tackle then that will dictate where he signs ..

I say he is after the $$ and goes where he can play tackle ..

So Washington is offering him tackle money to play G? They have Samuel and just extented Jansen.

Based on that we should still be in the running, since he fits at LT for our lefthanded QB.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
So Washington is offering him tackle money to play G?

That doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't they just pay the money to Dockery and keep their oline intact.

OP
OP
BACH

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
That doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't they just pay the money to Dockery and keep their oline intact.

It's rumored that this is the main reason for a lot of internal problems on the Redskins team. Snyder won't re-sign their own players to fair deals, but gladly overpay for bringing in outside players.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So Washington is offering him tackle money to play G? They have Samuel and just extented Jansen.

Based on that we should still be in the running, since he fits at LT for our lefthanded QB.
Both are getting on in years. Both have also been injured frequently over the past couple of years. I live in Md and when Jansen got his extension this year many people were pissed. The feeling around here is that he is too old/immobile. Personally, I would love to have those two guys. Another thing with the Skins. They will sign a guy just to keep him away from Division Rivals. Last year Philly was interested in TJ Ducket, and the skins traded a 3rd rounder plus paid him starter money. I know he didn't get more that 40 rushes on the year. Dan Snyder might do anything. If Dallas is interested I guarentee that Wash. is also.

Brighteyes

Super Bowl!
Reaction score
Thu, 1 Mar 2007 23:22:00 -0800

John Clayton, of ESPN.com, reports talks between the Dallas Cowboys and free agent OT Leonard Davis (Cardinals) are heating up. Davis has not scheduled a trip because he is negotiating with at least three NFC East teams.

One of you guys who know this stuff: if Davis were close to real deals, wouldn't he be visiting teams? This sounds more like what an agent would tell the press to create more demand for his guy.

Somebody will surely take LD, but will he get the huge payday he wants?

BullheadCardFan

Go for it
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The way I am reading it is that Wash is the only place that wants him to play tackle .. to replace Jansen (sp) ..

Dallas wants him to move to guard ...

So the decision on his part is if he wants to go home to Texas he may have take less $$$ and play guard .. if hes all about the $$ then he goes to Wash ...

BigOX

Reaction score
He would dominate at guard if someone would just give him tackle money. A solid guard is worth it, just look at Hutch. With his size and strength, while not having to worry about coming off the end, he'd dominate with the right coaching.

football karma

Michael snuggles the cap space
Reaction score
He would dominate at guard if someone would just give him tackle money. A solid guard is worth it, just look at Hutch. With his size and strength, while not having to worry about coming off the end, he'd dominate with the right coaching.

Its an assumption that many make --

When he played guard here he had the same bouts of inconsistency that made us crazy when he played tackle

The memory of LeRoi Glover walking Big back to the QB like he was on roller skates in Dallas is fresh in my mind.

BigOX

Reaction score

When he played guard here he had the same bouts of inconsistency that made us crazy when he played tackle

The memory of LeRoi Glover walking Big back to the QB like he was on roller skates in Dallas is fresh in my mind.

That was also in his first three years, with terrible coaching, and him making a position transition. With his NFL experience now, and good coaching, he'll make a solid guard

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score

That is the exact image I get when I think of Davis as a "strong" guard.

lobo

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think a player holds back for 5-6 years.
If he goes to the Pukes it won't matter cuz they're on a downslide with Wade Phillips as coach, Jerry Jones is losing it.
If he goes to NY, the fans will tear him up when he has multiple penalties.

No one with put up with a guy dogging it for 5/6 years. That is really crazy. Anyone who dogs it is just that and anyone who is foolish enough to sign a check for $500,000 a game for a guy like that IS REALLY goofy.