Cowher is an example of sticking with it

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get so upset at the changing of coaches over and over with some teams and the mindset of fans to change it out right away.

Cowher has had this team forever, and has had big ups and big downs. Yet he has had his system in place for a long time and has had success.

For those who want Denny gone, I just shake my head. I want longterm continuity at the HC position. I like his offensive system, and longterm he can change this franchise. It's a slow go right now, but we have improved so much, yet not so much in the standings but in the team temperment. I want to see him around for more than an experiment...I'm tired of experimenting. I want continutity, which IMO will lead to wins as the stench of losing is cleansed. Changing coaches every leap year or less isn't going to help us win. It will keep us in the craphole we're so accustomed to.

We are getting better...as a team. We no longer have the loser attitude...next is the loser record. It's coming, and once we win, I don't want to stop winning. I want playoff berths 3 of five years, and an NFC game once a half decade. If the chips fall right, you go to the dance. If the chips fall again, you get Lombardi. Cowher had a SB chance ten years ago. He had some bad teams in the meantime, but the org stuck with it. And now he has the trophy.

Let's not get all crazy with wanting the SB now. Let's get better every year, until we are a good team top to bottom. We are getting there, slowly. But we were a terrible team before, with bad management. We're now an ok team with much better management. We will get there...it's just a matter of time. Give the staff the time.

8ndkorner

Registered
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
I get so upset at the changing of coaches over and over with some teams and the mindset of fans to change it out right away.

Cowher has had this team forever, and has had big ups and big downs. Yet he has had his system in place for a long time and has had success.

For those who want Denny gone, I just shake my head. I want longterm continuity at the HC position. I like his offensive system, and longterm he can change this franchise. It's a slow go right now, but we have improved so much, yet not so much in the standings but in the team temperment. I want to see him around for more than an experiment...I'm tired of experimenting. I want continutity, which IMO will lead to wins as the stench of losing is cleansed. Changing coaches every leap year or less isn't going to help us win. It will keep us in the craphole we're so accustomed to.

We are getting better...as a team. We no longer have the loser attitude...next is the loser record. It's coming, and once we win, I don't want to stop winning. I want playoff berths 3 of five years, and an NFC game once a half decade. If the chips fall right, you go to the dance. If the chips fall again, you get Lombardi. Cowher had a SB chance ten years ago. He had some bad teams in the meantime, but the org stuck with it. And now he has the trophy.

Let's not get all crazy with wanting the SB now. Let's get better every year, until we are a good team top to bottom. We are getting there, slowly. But we were a terrible team before, with bad management. We're now an ok team with much better management. We will get there...it's just a matter of time. Give the staff the time.

Amen Brother. I've also grown tired of the coaching carousel. True, there were some very bad ones since they arrived in AZ but now it's different. With the new stadium next season we can finally keep up with the rest of the NFL. Green's had 2 seasons and the team has shown improvement under his watch. Let the man work. Another draft, another year experienced under his system, new stadium etc. Let's stick with it this time. Who really wants to start over again now? The steelers were OK but it really turneed around for them with Rothlesbblhlh whatever. He didn't show up today but he was 1 more piece that got them playing some good football.
Let Denny work.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Sure it's easy to say now...but Cowher has always been underappreciated as a Coach.

I love his style and of course...the results.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea I tend to agree with you. Only problem is that Cowher has been a successful coach in his entire tenure with Pittsburgh. What did he have maybe two down years? Not quite the same when you have a coach that has gone say 6-10, 5-10, 4-10 and continue to "stick with it"

So Im not buying it. Cowher has had his teams there almost every year. Not really a good comparison.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
The NFL is a copycat league so maybe this will get teams into thinking about sticking with someone. You can say the same thing about Holmgren. He was on the hot seat about 2 years ago. These guys that have been succesful in the past don't all of a sudden forget what it takes to win.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shane H said:
Yea I tend to agree with you. Only problem is that Cowher has been a successful coach in his entire tenure with Pittsburgh. What did he have maybe two down years? Not quite the same when you have a coach that has gone say 6-10, 5-10, 4-10 and continue to "stick with it"

So Im not buying it. Cowher has had his teams there almost every year. Not really a good comparison.

He didn't take over a cursed team that had a culture of losing surrounding it either. Denny did, and he's two layers deep in wiping that crust of despair off the team..

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Excellent post D-Dogg. In light of the Steelers win yesterday, your thinking makes a lot of sense. I just want DG to give me something to hang my hat on. He hasn't done that yet, but when he does, I'll be ready to ride it out with him as our coach long term

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:
He didn't take over a cursed team that had a culture of losing surrounding it either. Denny did, and he's two layers deep in wiping that crust of despair off the team..

We shall see. I agree if he goes 7-9 or better this year then keep him. But if he has another 6-10 or below you really have to consider replacing him. You cant say this team doesnt have talent to win anymore. So it must be his coaching if that happens. There are still many things he does "in game" that leaves you scratching your head.

red desert

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D-Dogg said:

Dude, let it go. That argument is over. Green is our coach next year. Move on. It seems to my that you're the only one talking about it anymore. Finito.

OP
OP
D-Dogg

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score
red desert said:
Dude, let it go. That argument is over. Green is our coach next year. Move on. It seems to my that you're the only one talking about it anymore. Finito.

Hmm, for practically my first post on the subject, I'm at a loss for words as to why you responded in the manner you did.

:shrug: