Coyotes honoring Tillman

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I think we should applaud Ricci for doing it to honor Tillman. Classy move Mr. Ricci.

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
Ricci has always been a class act throughout his career. We loved the guy here in San Jose. But what irritates me is to have a classy guy like this go play for a team in which its fans tried to degrade him every time he stepped onto the ice as a member of the Sharks. Remember all the “Ricci’s ugly” chants? Not a real classy move by Yotes fans. And make no mistake, I’m not saying anyone that participates on here were involved in those instances. You all seem like a fairly educated hockey bunch :thumbup:

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town Drunk said:
Ricci has always been a class act throughout his career. We loved the guy here in San Jose. But what irritates me is to have a classy guy like this go play for a team in which its fans tried to degrade him every time he stepped onto the ice as a member of the Sharks. Remember all the “Ricci’s ugly” chants? Not a real classy move by Yotes fans. And make no mistake, I’m not saying anyone that participates on here were involved in those instances. You all seem like a fairly educated hockey bunch :thumbup:

He said he actually liked all the chants from the crowds.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
I'm sure he also liked it when one of your fans dumped that beer on his head as well. :p

OP
OP
A

Angryguy

Reaction score
Hey town drunk if you want to complain about the fans treating Ricci bad...that's fine, start a new thread. This post is about honoring Tillman and how we like Ricci and the Coyotes doing it, so go complain somewhere else.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Yes, and I was only commenting on what a classy guy Ricci is and also pointing out that he's going to play for a less than classy fan base. Note, I also said that I believe that none of the people on here participated in those instances.

I applaud Ricci for taking Tillman's number. However, I can express my views.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town Drunk said:
Yes, and I was only commenting on what a classy guy Ricci is and also pointing out that he's going to play for a less than classy fan base. Note, I also said that I believe that none of the people on here participated in those instances.

I applaud Ricci for taking Tillman's number. However, I can express my views.

Less than classy fan base? Almost all fan bases chant or boo opposing players. :rolleyes:

Town Drunk

Reaction score
How many fan bases chant out that a player is ugly? Especially at a game in which his wife and family were attending? How many fan bases dump beer on the head of a player while he’s in the penalty box? We have many more stories. In fact, the way your fan base treated Ricci inspired us Sharks fans to create the “Reech Out.” During a home guy against the Yotes, fans brought a picture of Ricci’s face on a Popsicle stick to the game. This was started by fans on our message board a couple of weeks before the game and it made it into the San Jose Mercury News, Sac Bee, and on television. Needless to say, 17,000 fans showed up with a “Ricci Popsicle” and proudly waved them in response to the way Ricci was treated by Coyote fans.

And as I’ve said before, I do not think any of you all participated in that stuff. You all seem too intelligent for that.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town Drunk said:
How many fan bases chant out that a player is ugly? Especially at a game in which his wife and family were attending? How many fan bases dump beer on the head of a player while he’s in the penalty box? We have many more stories. In fact, the way your fan base treated Ricci inspired us Sharks fans to create the “Reech Out.” During a home guy against the Yotes, fans brought a picture of Ricci’s face on a Popsicle stick to the game. This was started by fans on our message board a couple of weeks before the game and it made it into the San Jose Mercury News, Sac Bee, and on television. Needless to say, 17,000 fans showed up with a “Ricci Popsicle” and proudly waved them in response to the way Ricci was treated by Coyote fans.

And as I’ve said before, I do not think any of you all participated in that stuff. You all seem too intelligent for that.

Ive heard far worse chants in sports than "ugly." Ive seen beer get dumped on lots of players. A year or ago, Avs fans threw a huge amount of trash on the ice after the Wild won in OT. Is Colorado a classless fan base as well? If Ricci was really hurt by all these things, would he take a PAY CUT to come here?

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Sure, I’ve heard worse as well. But just because worse things have been said doesn’t mean that the other remarks and actions made were “classy.” You won’t see that stuff in Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, or St. Paul.

And Ricci didn’t take a pay cut. No other team was going to offer him that much money. It was painfully obvious that Ricci really lost a step last season. He’s no more than a 4th liner at this point in his career.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town Drunk said:
Sure, I’ve heard worse as well. But just because worse things have been said doesn’t mean that the other remarks and actions made were “classy.” You won’t see that stuff in Detroit, Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, or St. Paul.

And Ricci didn’t take a pay cut. No other team was going to offer him that much money. It was painfully obvious that Ricci really lost a step last season. He’s no more than a 4th liner at this point in his career.

Oh really? I wont see those things in those other places? A few Montreal fans threw bananas at Kevin Weekes, that is far far worse than dumping beer on a guy as far as I am concerned. The last time Winnipeg had a major team, they booed the US National Anthem and has some nasty chants of their own. And I believe Ricci did have an offer elsewhere for a little more money, Ill have to dig out the article.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Yes, a couple Montreal fans threw bananas at Kevin Weekes. I had forgotten that incident. My mistake.

And you have no idea why the US National Anthem was booed. Need I remind you what happened in New York?

And please find the article. I’d be interested in knowing what other team would have offered Ricci that kind of money.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town Drunk said:
Yes, a couple Montreal fans threw bananas at Kevin Weekes. I had forgotten that incident. My mistake.

And you have no idea why the US National Anthem was booed. Need I remind you what happened in New York?

And please find the article. I’d be interested in knowing what other team would have offered Ricci that kind of money.

I didnt say I have no idea why Winnipeg did that. I just said they did. And New York doing similar things only further illustrates my point. You will find rare instances from a few members almost anywhere. Even though the actions of the few are inexcusable, it does not make a fan base classless. Chants saying that an opposing player/team "sucks" arent much of a big deal either, they just come with the rivalry and rivalries for the most part are great for sports.

Edit: Oh, and your article. I did a quick search but havent found it yet. Ill do a little more looking around for it and get back to you.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Care to point out where I said that the fan base is clueless?

I also did a search for an article and I couldn’t find anything about Ricci receiving more money from another team.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town Drunk said:
Care to point out where I said that the fan base is clueless?

I also did a search for an article and I couldn’t find anything about Ricci receiving more money from another team.

Care to point out where I said that you said a fan base was clueless? :confused:

And Im still trying to get to that article. Been checking out a busier coyotes board as Im pretty sure thats where I got the article from, but its a pain as it happened several months ago. Ill definately let you know if I find it though.

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Edit: I could have sworn you said “clueless” in this sentence: “Even though the actions of the few are inexcusable, it does not make a fan base classless.” So either you went back and edited it or my eyes are failing me.

As for being classless, we aren’t talking about a few fans here, we’re talking about your whole arena chanting out that “Ricci’s Ugly” in a game in which is wife and family was attending. There is no “rivalry” between the Sharks and Yotes. This wasn’t a normal booing of a player. This was degrading a player.

And yes, Avs fans are pretty classless as well. Throwing stuff on to the ice is unacceptable. The same applies to Calgary fans who started dumping stuff on to the ice after the Sharks beat them in Calgary during the playoffs. I’ll even say that my own fan base isn’t a classy bunch of fans either after booing the Sharks during the Calgary series. There’s a certain time and place to boo your home team and they did it at the wrong time and place. Needless to say, I was pretty embarrassed to be a Sharks fan that day.

And again, I really don’t think there was another team out there offering more money to Ricci. He severely lost a step last season. The little things that he used to excel at doing were no longer part of his game. He was the heart and soul of that Sharks team, and they didn’t bring him back into the fold. Now granted, they have younger and cheaper players ready to step up, but however, it does say something that they didn’t bring him back. I hope you all don’t have too big of an expectation of him.

Bob Chebat

The Silencer!
Reaction score
Just because they boo'd him and called him ugly, does not mean they don't respect him as a player.

When the Coyotes first moved here, at the first Family Carnival, I went up to the GM (Bobby Smith at the time), and told him that I was from Chicago, and when the North Stars came to town, we would vehemently boo him, etc...

His response... "I hope so".

Players do not want to be loved in cities that they are playing against. I am sure Ricci accepts his less than pretty looks and expects to be the subject of ridicule when on the ice against opponents. He is a professional and that goes with the territory.

Despite all that, I think everyone can look at the history of this guy and be thrilled to have him here. Love what's yours, hate what's not. Simple as that.

And to Town Drunk, ignore those who simply want to start a bickering match with you. Sometimes people just say crap to stir things up. They need that I suppose.

I don't have high expectations for Ricci, but I do expect his presence on the team to make a difference to the youth as well as to the captain Shane Doan. Ricci is experienced and that is exactly what the Coyotes need, assuming of course he actually gets to play here this season.

Last edited:

Town Drunk

Reaction score
Where’s the fun in ignoring people though, BC ;)

But it is good advice. Hopefully I won’t have to resort to doing that to anyone on here, though.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Town Drunk said:
Edit: I could have sworn you said “clueless” in this sentence: “Even though the actions of the few are inexcusable, it does not make a fan base classless.” So either you went back and edited it or my eyes are failing me.

As for being classless, we aren’t talking about a few fans here, we’re talking about your whole arena chanting out that “Ricci’s Ugly” in a game in which is wife and family was attending. There is no “rivalry” between the Sharks and Yotes. This wasn’t a normal booing of a player. This was degrading a player.

And yes, Avs fans are pretty classless as well. Throwing stuff on to the ice is unacceptable. The same applies to Calgary fans who started dumping stuff on to the ice after the Sharks beat them in Calgary during the playoffs. I’ll even say that my own fan base isn’t a classy bunch of fans either after booing the Sharks during the Calgary series. There’s a certain time and place to boo your home team and they did it at the wrong time and place. Needless to say, I was pretty embarrassed to be a Sharks fan that day.

And again, I really don’t think there was another team out there offering more money to Ricci. He severely lost a step last season. The little things that he used to excel at doing were no longer part of his game. He was the heart and soul of that Sharks team, and they didn’t bring him back into the fold. Now granted, they have younger and cheaper players ready to step up, but however, it does say something that they didn’t bring him back. I hope you all don’t have too big of an expectation of him.

Nope, didnt edit. But when I scanned over my paragraph I though I said clueless too until I read it again closer. :)

Ricci was to the Sharks what Tyson Nash is to the Coyotes. Both are players that other players and fans love when they when are on their side, but hate to face them. Both play aggressive and bring a lot of energy to the ice. This often can draw the ire of opposing fans, as both have been the subject of the boos and chants from the crowd. Both have been known to agitate the opposition, yet still both are great in the community.

Again, chants dont make a fanbase classless. Ricci wouldnt have signed here if it did. Sure, the fan of Phoenix have done a lot of chants, but they also always have had good showings at things like the fan festival, which greatly helped raise money for charities. Every other Arizona is midst of a dismal season. BOB, AWA, and Sun Devil Stadium are all empty. Yet, in the middle of their worst season, Coyotes fans packed Glendale Arena for the last game. Have to give the fans credit for things like these. They dont just chant and spill their beers (Im still trying to figure out who would dump their $8 beer in the first place).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05