Curious fact on Brett Favre

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This came up on the Bronco board so I looked up the 1991 draft to see who was picked ahead of Favre.

Russell Maryland went first, we took Swann 8th.

But the real stinker picks, Dan McGwire by Seattle and Todd Marinovich by the Raiders both taken ahead of Favre!

It is amazing how a guy that good lasted until the 33rd pick, and then even more amazing that Jerry Glanville traded him after one season could he not see the x marks on all his WR's chests and realize what an amazing arm the guy had?

So if we really want to blame anybody for the last 12 years of on field play whoever decided to take Swann over Favre should be the guy (-:

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ Smith
This came up on the Bronco board so I looked up the 1991 draft to see who was picked ahead of Favre.

But the real stinker picks, Dan McGwire by Seattle and Todd Marinovich by the Raiders both taken ahead of Favre!

It is amazing how a guy that good lasted until the 33rd pick, and then even more amazing that Jerry Glanville traded him after one season could he not see the x marks on all his WR's chests and realize what an amazing arm the guy had?

So if we really want to blame anybody for the last 12 years of on field play whoever decided to take Swann over Favre should be the guy (-:

Wrong. It is the guy who decided to take Mike Jones (DE) over Favre in round 2. :D

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Curious fact on Brett Favre

Originally posted by AZCB34
Wrong. It is the guy who decided to take Mike Jones (DE) over Favre in round 2. :D

yeah I was going to mention that but since Swann was the first pick I used him.

Can you imagine being the Seahawk or Raider Gm and trying to explain picking McGwire or Marijuanavich?

If this is really Favre's last year I gotta admit I'm going to miss watching the guy play. If you stop and look at the impact of the Falcons trading him on the two teams it's staggering. The Packers instantly became good and the Falcons stunk most of those years.

Rivercard

Too much good stuff
Reaction score
Nobody said drafting is an exact science. I don't think anybody had Favre as the best QB that year. Just like nobody had Pace as this years best DE :)

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Curious fact on Brett Favre

If you stop and look at the impact of the Falcons trading him on the two teams it's staggering. The Packers instantly became good and the Falcons stunk most of those years.

It is astounding. Since Favre took over the starting job he has never had a record worse than .500. Massively astounding how it changed the fortunes of the teams.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by nidan
When he retires the Pack are toast

Well we know what QB they will NOT sign to replace him based on Ron Wolf's opinion of that guy from Idaho people keep comparing to Favre on the Bronco board.

Wild Card

Surfin' Bird
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Curious fact on Brett Favre

Can you imagine being the Seahawk... Gm and trying to explain picking McGwire... ?

Russ:

I was living in Seattle and following the Seahawks when they drafted Dan McGwire. Hindsight's 20/20, but we thought we'd just drafted a franchise QB. Big guy, huge arm, stood strong in the pocket. I remember a highlight of him, with San Diego State, throwing a TD pass in the red zone with three Miami defenders hanging off him.

It was only after the Hawks got him into camp and the preseason that they found out you could time his release with an hourglass, and that he couldn't read a pro defense to save his life. Mobility of a statue, too.

Pity the poor Seahawks. Two years after McGwire, they tried again in the first round with Rick Mirer. Oops.

WC

Last edited:

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by maddogkf
Curious fact on Brett Favre

He also dated Something About Mary

You must be registered for see images

"Brett Favre?! What are you doing here?"

"I'm here to play the Dolphins you *******."

Classic line...especially when mumbled like you have a giant dip in your mouth.

Pariah

H.S.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe McGuire is available to backup Blake? ;)

I'll bet that guy gets a few beers in him and doesn't shut up about how he was drafted in front of Brett Favre.

LVCARDFREAK

In the league 20 years!
Reaction score
Originally posted by Pariah
Maybe McGuire is available to backup Blake? ;)

I'll bet that guy gets a few beers in him and doesn't shut up about how he was drafted in front of Brett Favre.

HAHAHAHHAHA

Thats hilarious....

World Trade Center Survivor: " And then I had to just ride the rubble all the way down 70 floors and crawl by my fingernails out from under the concrete and steel....The smell of Jet fuel soaked into my nostrils..."

McGuire (Pulling up a bar stool): "Thats a pretty good story son, but did I ever tell you about how I was drafted AHEAD of Bret Favre?"

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Curious fact on Brett Favre

Originally posted by Wild Card
Russ:

I was living in Seattle and following the Seahawks when they drafted Dan McGwire. Hindsight's 20/20, but we thought we'd just drafted a franchise QB. Big guy, huge arm, stood strong in the pocket. I remember a highlight of him, with San Diego State, throwing a TD pass in the red zone with three Miami defenders hanging off him.

It was only after the Hawks got him into camp and the preseason that they found out you could time his release with an hourglass, and that he couldn't read a pro defense to save his life. Mobility of a statue, too.

Pity the poor Seahawks. Two years after McGwire, they tried again in the first round with Rick Mirer. Oops.

AR

I watched him a lot at San Diego state and knew all about him. I certainly didn't think it was a bad pick at the time either, I just can't imagine the way it all worked out trying to explain how you missed on Favre with all the information available to NFL GM's.

I'm no expert but I HAVE to believe that Favre comes off really dumb in interviews or something, there's just no explanation for a guy that good not going in the first round.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Curious fact on Brett Favre

I watched him a lot at San Diego state and knew all about him. I certainly didn't think it was a bad pick at the time either, I just can't imagine the way it all worked out trying to explain how you missed on Favre with all the information available to NFL GM's.

I'm no expert but I HAVE to believe that Favre comes off really dumb in interviews or something, there's just no explanation for a guy that good not going in the first round.

I wonder if it was because Southern Miss at the time was an independent. USC (Marinovich) was a glamour team and San Diego St (McGwire) was getting props and had conference affiliations to work for it.

Also, it was before the massive coverage of seemingly every player.

Just a guess on my part.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
All of this pales in comparison to taking Todd Blacklege during the year of the QB.

Chiefs fans moan about this one still. They wiffed on everyone but I think Elway because he was already taken.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Favre had part of his intestines removed from a car accident after his Junior year and his play suffered when he dropped 20-30 lbs. Ron wolf only figured out about Favre because an assistant scout at Favre's college (Ole Miss?) told him to look at his Junior film, not his senior.

Favre was a case of injury affecting his draft status. Somebody did their homework and traded for him. It is a little loco to say "we shoulda" on that one.

I liked Swann.... If not for injuries, he could have been one of the best ever IMO.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardinalChris
Favre had part of his intestines removed from a car accident after his Junior year and his play suffered when he dropped 20-30 lbs. Ron wolf only figured out about Favre because an assistant scout at Favre's college (Ole Miss?) told him to look at his Junior film, not his senior.

Favre was a case of injury affecting his draft status. Somebody did their homework and traded for him. It is a little loco to say "we shoulda" on that one.

I liked Swann.... If not for injuries, he could have been one of the best ever IMO.

I like Swann too, I was just doing one of those "what it" scenarios. What if we had taken Favre instead of Mike Jones?

Just forgot how many players went ahead of Brett.

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by CardinalChris
Favre had part of his intestines removed from a car accident

Kind of ironic when the anncouncers say he has a lot of guts, isn't it?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like Swann too, I was just doing one of those "what it" scenarios. What if we had taken Favre instead of Mike Jones?

Just forgot how many players went ahead of Brett.

I presume the Cards thought Rosenbaugh was the man when the draft rolled around in 1991 and that was the crux of the logic behind passing on him.

CardinalChris, I understand someone did their homework...but wouldn't it be nice if the Cards did their homework like this? The Cards had the same access to Junior year tapes of Favre. If they had been the ones to do their homework, the entire history of the team over the last decade MAY have been significantly different.

I don't fault them for passing him but oh what may have been....

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score

Hey, if you remeber the first two seasons Farve was not a polished QB. I remember him making mistakes left and right. Like not throwing the ball away or not taking a sack. Those where my favorite years watching him. When he would pull a play out of his ass, and it would work.
I can see how he was drafted so low, but in know way am I saying that the picks above him were good. But you can see why people passed on him.

Why is Farve so good ? His first two seasons he made up for his inexperience with raw talent. As he got older he became smarter, and more polished.

Why does Plummer SUCK? His first two seasons he made up for his inexperience with raw talent. His last 5 or 6 he is dumber, and makes the same dumb mistakes, and his raw talent is starting to dwindle.

Peace :thumbup:

Assface

Like a boss
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you have an arm like Farve your mistakes don't hurt as much. If he throws into heavy coverage the db probably won't catch it. I wish the Cards had gotten him. I hear people say Farve is overated all the time, but can anyone name even 1 reciever that has been succesfull after leaving Green Bay.

Houdini

Registered
Reaction score
I presume the Cards thought Rosenbaugh was the man when the draft rolled around in 1991 and that was the crux of the logic behind passing on him.

CardinalChris, I understand someone did their homework...but wouldn't it be nice if the Cards did their homework like this? The Cards had the same access to Junior year tapes of Favre. If they had been the ones to do their homework, the entire history of the team over the last decade MAY have been significantly different.

I don't fault them for passing him but oh what may have been....

Would any of us have ever heard of Farve though if not for Holmgren? Other coaches might have given up on Favre the way Glanville did instead of riding and tutoring him the way Holmgren did.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score

I agree, but 29 teams other than Green Bay missed it too. Only by chance did somebody mention this to Ron Wolf so he could see this. Heck, Atlanta aven had him on their TEAM for a year and missed it.

I'm starting to feel like Arizona is doing a little more homework now than before. I have better feelings about lower round picks, and that's what you need to win in the league.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05