Curious..

jmt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My dad was a Chicago Cardinal (and White Sox) fan. He brought me up the same and of course I hate the Bears and Cubs.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
My Dad was transferred to St Louis the same year Coryell became the HC and he said that the Cards would be good because of him. He was tired of rooting for the losing Eagles and wanted to support the home team in our new town.

The Cardiac Cards under Coryell was fun, exciting and yes winning football so I became hooked. Moved back to PA. 4 years later but won't EVER stop being a Cards fan. I do sorta root for the Eagles because they are the home team but never ever against the Cards or their interests.

For example I forget what year it was but the Cards were looking at another Duckjake record (5-11) and the Eagles had a chance to make the playoffs. The game was in Late Nov or Dec and I wanted to root for the Eagles so they could make the PO's and it would give the Cards a better draft pick but during the game I just couldn't do it.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad was a Chicago Cardinal (and White Sox) fan. He brought me up the same and of course I hate the Bears and Cubs.

This mirrors my life story. God rest his soul, but if I ever changed allegiences, my Dad would come back and haunt me.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Step dad came in the living room (shortly after moving in) and wanted to watch his beloved Cowboys, I explained Sargeant Slaughter was going to take on the Iron Sheek, and that I had dibs on the TV. He than explained that wrestling was totally fake, ruined it for me, and we switched to the game. I was still pissed off when Walter Payton made a spectacular play. Started rooting for the Bears right then and there, learned about the game, and then we got the Cards. It's been over every since.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
From the St Louis area. My Dad took me to my first Cardinal game on 22 Oct 1967 against the Eagles. We won 48-14. Have been on a Cardinal I V ever since.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
My family moved to Arizona in the 70's (the 1870's) Fort Apache was the big deal then! My Mom met my Dad at Luke AFB. My dad was from Ohio, and we moved back and forth when I was young. I watched #44 Leroy Kelly as a toddler. He is still the best, most complete football player I have ever seen.

I was the kid that stayed in AZ when old enough to make my choice. When the Cards came in 88- I was all in and grateful for an NFL team. I kept an eye on the Browns until they disappeared from the NFL for awhile- Now I'm a get down and waller in the mud naked, Arizona Cardinal Football Club Fan.

I like Bill Bidwill and the way he survived from Ball boy to Owner - and kept principles and the health of the NFL priority as many clubs has come and gone during his lifetime.

inactive pro football franchises link
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Native Texan and liked the Cardinals since 1975. I hated the Cowboys early on, something about them disgusted me. Well, the Cardinals back then would give those Cowboys some good games and I really liked the Cardinal players. This was before Sunday Ticket of course, so I was assured two games a year where I could see the Cardinals play Dallas. I have followed them every since and a die hard fan. Your favorite team is sort of like this, they choose you and you do not choose them lol

Are you coming up to the Cowpies game this year? If so I might have something you might want. :D

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
I've lived in Dallas my whole life & began rooting for the Big Red in 1974. Those white Unis & that bird reeled me in as a fan. I still remember running around tge house with my Cards pennant & Sears bought Jim Hart jersey taunting my dad each time the Cowpies went to Stl wearing those jinx blue jerseys at Busch...those were great days!!!

I will still never forget this billboard on I-75 in Dallas close to the Cowpies training complex in the 70's

I still have my little Jim Hart jersey from Sears lol

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Grew up in Syracuse, NY. My Dad was a diehard St.Louis Cardinal baseball fan. After they beat the Yanks in 64 WS, I started following the NFL. My Dad was a Bills AFL fan. He let me pick an NFL team that we could both root for. Since I was already a St. Louis Cardinal baseball fan, I thought it would only be appropriate to be a St. Louis Cardinal football fan. My Dad & I have been fans ever since. So are my sons, one being cardsfanmd.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Grew up in Syracuse, NY. My Dad was a diehard St.Louis Cardinal baseball fan. After they beat the Yanks in 64 WS, I started following the NFL. My Dad was a Bills AFL fan. He let me pick an NFL team that we could both root for. Since I was already a St. Louis Cardinal baseball fan, I thought it would only be appropriate to be a St. Louis Cardinal football fan. My Dad & I have been fans ever since. So are my sons, one being cardsfanmd.
That's cool, the only reason I liked the Cubs was because I liked the Bears, same line of thought, we didn't have a squad, and it pissed my step dad off at the time.

BACH

Superbowl, Homeboy!
Reaction score
Foreign exchange student in Phoenix and got the hooked on all football. Cardinals naturally became the team to follow

titan

i hate the farm
Reaction score
I grew up in South Dakota but moved out here in 86 and was a Viking fan. Well when the Cardinals first came here I went to a bunch of games and enjoyed the hell out of it. The Cardinals were playing the Vikings and when the Vikings scored I jumped up and was yelling go Vikings. But I always liked the cardiac Cards because they were fun to watch.

when the Cards went down the field and scored I jumped up and yelled go Cardinals. A friend that was with me (Dale) and some other fans told me I couldn't have it both ways. They told me to pick a team and so I picked the Cardinals that day. by the way the Cardinals won that game. I have been a season ticket holder for 18 years now. oh" and I hate SDS sooo bad because I was on the sun side.

When people would go to the game with me even when they were fans of the other team I made them wear RED or they couldn't go, they bitched and whined but... lol they always wore red :) I have great seats!!! go Cardinals.

Perfectionist

Objectively Correct
Reaction score
My Dad was in the Army, in 1959 he was stationed in Iraq and I stayed with my Grandfather in southern Illinois. I made an all star baseball team and we played in the old Bush stadium, and I have been a Cardinal football fan every since. Must say there are times I have cussed myself for being so loyal. I was never greedy and all I ever wanted was for them to make it to the Super Bowl, when that finally happened I was elated. Now, I want them to win it all (but I won't be around if it takes as long as it did for them just to get there)!!

Go Cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
From St Louis. I was raised a Cardinal fan both baseball and football. My whole family was Cardinal fans and we have a very big family. I am planning on getting a football season home in Glendale at some point so I can be a season ticket holder and see every Cards game at home. I always tell everyone there is Cardinal football number one and everything else in life comes second. Cardinal football is my number one hobby. I have even told all my Children if you want me at your wedding it better not be while the Cards game is on.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score

This mirrors my life story. God rest his soul, but if I ever changed allegiences, my Dad would come back and haunt me.

Make that 3 of us(except I don't share the Bears hatred, they were kind of just there).

First game I ever went to was a Bears/Cards exhibition game and the Cards killed them., which sealed the deal. My first favorite player ever was Terry Metcalf.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
My uncle Michael took me to my first pro football game:

November 24, 1963---St. Louis Cardinals vs. New York Giants---at Yankee Stadium.

When I saw the field for the first time, the Cardinals were warming up and it was love at first sight.

In particular, I was fascinated by the acrobatic play of FS Larry Wilson #8.

My uncle---a Giants' season tickets holder (still is---40 yd. line!)---was very gracious in accepting my instant love for the Cardinals. he even bought me a Cardinals pennant as we were leaving the stadium.

Curiously---I read an article about the Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon and he said that he became a life-long Cardinals fan when his uncle took him to his first pro football game at Yankee Stadium on November 24, 1963.

I wonder how many kids that day became Cardinals fans! I was eight years old...now I am 59...so it's been 51 years!

Cardsfanstl

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I see alot of members here that are not living in AZ but yet are still huge fans of the Cardinals. The reason I am a huge Cards fan is that I have grown up with them and have lived in Arizona all my life.

With you out of towners, why and when did you become a fan of the Cardinals? Did you live here then move away, did you like them when they were in St Louis and followed them here? Why are you a cards fan?

Born and raised in St. Louis. Still live here. Going on my 41st year of being a fan of the Bog Red. My uncle had end zone season tickets at Busch Stadium and he used to take me all the time. On game days my parents would either drop me off at the stadium or put me on the bus which went right by the stadium and I would wait at the Stan Musial statue for my uncle to arrive and we would go to the game.

Watching Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf, Mel Gray, Dan Dierdorf and Jackie Smith was always a thrill for me. The clincher for me being a fan was when Mel Gray caught the controversial TD in the end zone right in front of me. Was so excited.

When I was over seas in the militarty my family would send me the sports sections so I could try to keep track of what was going on with the team.

Will always be a Big Red Football fan for life.

Last edited:

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score

This is similar to mine. Grew up in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area of Pa. My father was never a sports fan of any kind, so as I grew up and got into middle school sports was always talked about and I had an interest in baseball. Come the 1967 WS my interest in baseball grew so I was following the series and started rooting for the St. Louis Cardinals. Of course the Cardinals beat the Red Sox (Gibson was great in that series) so it only made sense to me to start following the St. Louis Football Cardinals. Being someone with a great sense of loyalty I have followed them ever since. Have stuck with the team for 48 years. Finally made a trip to AZ in 2008 and got to see them play live. Got invited to several tailgate parties. Started at CardDan and made my way to as many as I could. Good memories of that day.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I still have my little Jim Hart jersey from Sears lol

LOL...Sears! That was Xmas bliss. My Mom would hand me the Sears catalog and I would circle all the Cardinals gear (trashcan, bedspread, rug, toothbrush holder, etc) and that's what I got for Xmas.

I grew up in Texas but had family in Iowa and at a young age (5?)...I started rooting for the St. Louis Baseball and Football Cardinals. I still have fan club material they used to send each year (70's). When the Cardinals moved to AZ, I stayed with them and even had season tickets at Sun Devil for 4 years (commuted from Texas).

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was born in Missouri(or misery as my mom called it). I moved to California at 18 months for a variety of reasons(one I had asthma and the doctors said California was better than the midwest for me).

When I started watching football I became a Cards fans, they were in St Louis where I was born, and I loved the unis. Been a fan since 74 or 75.

To this day Terry Metcalf is my all time favorite NFL player

TruColor

Trombonist in Roger Goodell's Wedding Rcpt.
Reaction score
Watching Jim Hart, Terry Metcalf, Mel Gray, Dan Dierdorf and Jackie Smith was always a thrill for me. The clincher for me being a fan was when Mel Gray caught the controversial TD in the end zone right in front of me. Was so excited.

That Redskins game? I swear that was the longest referee conference ever...felt like hours before they gave the Cards the TD.

Chaz

observationist
Reaction score
These are some great stories. Thanks everyone.

I didn't follow pro sports much as a kid but I do remember having a soft spot for the Cardinals (liked the unis) as everyone in Delaware was Eagles or Redskins.
Cardinals moved to AZ 10 years after we did and a year or two after that I got into following sports. I can't imagine rooting for another team now.