Curious..

Captain Matt

Registered
Reaction score
Grew up in central Illinois

Born in central Illinois. Grandmother lived right outside of Charleston, IL where the Crads had training camp @ EIU. My brother and I would go watch these real life giants while spending time with our grandmother.

The only team I ever played with on the original Techmo bowl back in 1987 was the Cardinals. My brother would always pick the best teams on the game (Denver, Oakland, NYG, et.), despite the fact that he was a rabid Cards fan, and would love it when I'd put up 40 points on him with Timm Rosenbach to Roy Green and Rickey Proehl, or Johnny Johnson running circles around the defense, or Vai Sikahema returning punts. On defense it was mostly Ken Harvey or Tim McDonald.

When the Cards moved out west we were adults and had the means to travel to Flagstaff and keep those family traditions alive.

What further solidified my passion for the team was my first year in Navy Flight training. My "on-wing" (the instructor who was responsible for preparing me for my solos and check rides) was an ASU alumnist. Rather than fuel systems, TACAN approaches, or electrical distribution we talked about Jake Plummer and Pat Tillman and the 1998 play-off run. Talking NFL at work has been a part of my work culture ever since.

Go Cards!

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On defense it was mostly Ken Harvey or Tim McDonald.

I'm still bitter he we went to the 9ers. That was during the height of my 'the Bidwills are cheap' period. It's time I should get over it, I guess.:)

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm still bitter he we went to the 9ers. That was during the height of my 'the Bidwills are cheap' period. It's time I should get over it, I guess.:)

For me it was Terry Metcalf going to Canada. There were actually 3 reasons but at the time the 2 everyone heard was he wanted more money and Bidwill wouldn't pay it(true) and that he was tired of being booed by the home crowd because of fumbles(true). The 3rd, which I heard him talk about in an interview years later was that he had a bit of an inferiority complex, thought he wasn't smart, and felt that Bidwill in particular treated him poorly because he considered him a dumb black guy. He said after he retired he realized that issue was his own not Bidwill's, he actually apologized to him for having said it publicly. Metcalf had used recreational drugs while playing, after he retired he got heavy into coke until he got busted and cleaned up and that's when he said he realized that inferiority complex was in his head not others.

Side point worth another thread, Metcalf is suing the CFL over concussions. He's one of several ex Toronto Argos suing the team and the league for how they handled it. He apparently said he's waited years to sue because he was afraid they would dredge up his drug use, but decided it needed to be done because lots of ex CFL players weren't ex NFL players(like him) and they weren't getting the help ex NFL players were getting.

BW52

Registered
Reaction score
Card fan since early 60`s.Sonny Randle was my favorite player on offense and Larry Wilson on defense.50 years of Cardinal fandom and still have never seen them live in person.My hometown was full of Cleveland Browns Fans in the 60`s and then Bengals fans since then.One of the best friends to have a beer with was a farmer who was a diehard Cowboys fan.Several of us would sit at a bar to watch the Cards and Cowboys play each other.I remember quite a few times Cards taking the late lead and then losing in the last couple of minutes thanks to Staubach.My Cowboy friend always said the Cards had too much talent every year to end up like they did.

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Grew up in Southern Illinois, about 100 miles due south of St. Louis. Some of my fondest memories are of deer hunting as a kid and my dad on Sunday at noon would stop everything, hook up a small black and white t.v. to his truck battery, and we would watch the game while eating summer sausage, and other various snacks. Three hours later we'd take our freezing butts back to the deer stands.

Moved from the mid-west 20 years ago - New Mexico, Utah, Arizona (7 year season ticket holder while there), and finally to Texas.

My wife and I will be attending the Card-Cowboy game 11/7 where we will sit on the visitor's side, cheer our team on, and respect the home team...in other words completely opposite of what we experienced from Cowboy fans who attended Cards games over the years:)

clif

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
In my childhood i remember being a 49ers fan. It was just the thing to do in the south as the only teams available were them or the cowboys for much of the 80's and early 90's.

I despised the cowboys so that was not an option. i remember in my middle school yearbook everyone wanted to play for Notre Dame and then go play for the 49ers.

When I got stationed in albuquerque, all we saw were cowboys and bronco games. If the broncos were on the highlights were the cowboys beating up on the Cardinals. I moved to Phoenix in 1998 and my first live game was cardinals v saints during the playoff run. I was in love. Every player was HUGE in my eyes. I never looked back. My hate for the 49ers is deep because you really realize how bandwagon their fans are.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
A fan for life...

In 1967, at the tender age of 10, I "discovered" professional sports. I was living in New England and the local favorite....Red Sox were playing the Cardinals in the world series. From there I drifted to the Cards in football and Blues in hockey. It's been 47 years now. WOW!

One of my BEST Cardinal moments came in 1974. The Cards were playing the Giants but Yankee Stadium was under renovation so the game was played in the Yale Bowl in New Haven, CT. My dad, who got a job as an usher, learned that the Cards were going to be staying at the Red Bull Inn in Waterbury, CT. We were there as they came off the bus...got plenty of autographs...met Jackie Smith. GREAT moment in my life! After the actual game...Cards WON 23-21 on a late Jim Bakken FG...we found where the players had gathered to catch the bus back to the hotel. I remember Conrad Dobler asking if anyone had any "smokes". My dad gave him a pack and he really appreciated it.

There have been many highs and lows over the years but my teams have always been an integral part of my life. ...and will be to the day the Lord takes me home.

MARK IN SC :)

eastcoastSUN

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
My parents immigrated to the states in the early 90s, and the state happened to be Arizona (actually, my dad was doing a master's at ASU, but you get the point).

My first sports memory was at age 6, following my father's every move as he was yelling and crying and cheering in exasperation at the TV, the summer of '93 where the Suns made the playoff run all the way to the Finals.

I naturally turned my attention to the Cardinals, since every Sunday I'd hear fireworks from SDS (we lived a few blocks from campus off Apache Blvd). Grew up through all the mediocre years but with star players like Aeneas - Centers - Swann days

We moved to the DC area in '96, but I continue to follow all Arizona sports teams. They say your best memories are from childhood so I'd like to think I'm doing my part in staying loyal to the home team, even though loyalty comes in the form of ulcers and heart attacks. Plus, it's also a cool feeling to go into a bar or friend's house when you're the only Cards fan on the east coast (cardsfanmd may beg to differ :D)

carrrnuttt

Didactic
Reaction score
I'm from Sacramento and my dad used to live in San Francisco which unfortunately made him a 49er's fan.

I started rooting for the Cowboys just to get his goat, and because my best friend in the USAF was a Cowgirls fan from Dallas. That always felt dirty to me, as I've never liked their character [except maybe for Emmit] and the constant fawning they got.

I was stationed out here at Luke AFB in 1993 and decided to support to the local teams, and I've been here [and a fan] ever since.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
LOL...Sears! That was Xmas bliss. My Mom would hand me the Sears catalog and I would circle all the Cardinals gear (trashcan, bedspread, rug, toothbrush holder, etc) and that's what I got for Xmas.

I grew up in Texas but had family in Iowa and at a young age (5?)...I started rooting for the St. Louis Baseball and Football Cardinals. I still have fan club material they used to send each year (70's). When the Cardinals moved to AZ, I stayed with them and even had season tickets at Sun Devil for 4 years (commuted from Texas).

Sears rocked... living in south central Texas, and this little Cardinal in me was ordering a huge Cardinal parka, the trashcan of course, and I even had a little Cardinal bathrobe lol

petelondon

Reaction score
supported the Cards since 1983 when they played at Wembley

Same here!
I preferred the Cards uni and logo and loved the players' names - EJ Junior, Stump Mitchell etc
They had more appeal than the Vikings.
Stuck with them ever since listening to games on Armed Forces Network and reading First Down.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Mid 1970's, the hometown Eagles were horrid and most everyone else were Dolphin fans(because of their undefeated season. My brother is still a Dolphin fans). Silly me looks in the paper and sees the Cards in 1st place. I adopted them as my team then and haven't looked back.

Osbern61

Insomniac
Reaction score
The first football game I watched was the Cards infamous beat down of the Cowboys on MNF, the 38-0 game. I was too young to watch the whole thing but I remember thinking Johnny Roland was the best player ever.
Long story short, 2 years later I really became a die hard Card fan and still hate all of those teams remaining in the NFC East today.

Redneck Voodoo

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Card fan since early 60`s.Sonny Randle was my favorite player on offense and Larry Wilson on defense.50 years of Cardinal fandom and still have never seen them live in person.My hometown was full of Cleveland Browns Fans in the 60`s and then Bengals fans since then.One of the best friends to have a beer with was a farmer who was a diehard Cowboys fan.Several of us would sit at a bar to watch the Cards and Cowboys play each other.I remember quite a few times Cards taking the late lead and then losing in the last couple of minutes thanks to Staubach.My Cowboy friend always said the Cards had too much talent every year to end up like they did.

Gawd, I used to pretend I was Sonny Randle in the back yard. If I threw my rubber football into the hedges and it stick, Randle had scored. Damn, I miss those days. I used to clothespin pieces of wood to the clothesline and pretend I was Jim Bakkan kicking extra points and field goals. Awesome memories.

Shane

Comin for you!
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Grew up in AZ…. Moved away at 19 Been a fan ever since they moved to AZ and family had season tickets for the first 5 years or so….

Capital Card

The Kobayashi of Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Born in Phoenix, but dad was in the Army, so we moved around a lot. After graduating High School in Europe, I moved "home" to Arizona, where I knew I could get a meal from relatives if things didn't work out. Wasn't long after that the Cards came to town. I had just adopted Seattle as my team (freaking Bosworth), but figured I'd give the new hometown Cards a chance.

Lomax managed to stayed healthy just long enough for me to give up on Seattle and go all in with the Cards after a classic come-back win against the 49ers (a game I had to listen to on the radio while at work)

Left Phoenix in '93 to go back to school - got married to a great woman who swore she'd never move to AZ. 20 years later... I think she was serious. :)