D-Backs trying to trade Scherzer

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Dback fans, in general, are some of the most uneducated baseball fans in all of MLB. Most are not not like us on this board who follow what's going on around the league or actually understand what's going on. The entire city wanted to keep Gonzo a couple years back when anyone w/ a baseball IQ knew he had to be shown the door. It's sad but most fans going to games use it as a time to take a power nap as opposed to actually watch the game. If anything, I think this trade might alienate the fan base a little because I don't think most Dbacks fans will even know who Edwin Jackson is. My Dad's a season ticket holder and follows baseball when he can but had to call me to see who Edwin Jackson is and why we would trade Scherzer for him. That's the way most Dbacks fans are IMO

Jackson will eat up at least half of our available money for this offseason. We only have around $5 million left to spend after this trade so you can kiss all the names you mentioned goodbye.

There's no chance of landing guys like Nady, Blalock, or Nick Johnson unless we don't want to address other areas of need.

Unless the Dbacks ship off some salary currently on the books (Snyder/Young/Byrnes), they'll be signing a handful of vets or unproven players to league minimum deals. Not good considering this FO can't find a veteran reliever(s) to save their lives.

To be honest I did not know Jackson was having an AS season until I caught the AS game. I don't have cable so I don't watch all the ESPN games and the only column I focus on in the standings is the NL West. So I can see how your dad did not know about Jackson, but we'll see how this season shakes out, again in a couple of years I believe Scherzer will be a really good player but the D'Backs felt he was a reliever not a SP and with his arsenal of pitches now, they are correct.

As for the rest of our offseason, we really only need 1 bat and 1 reliever. Jackson and Parra could man 1B and LF and the Roberts/Abreu platoon can handle 2B, but we could use some depth and some more pop. I think Blalock could be had cheap, as for a reliever maybe we can trade Snyder for a RP.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
CoJack should be able to come back and pick up where he left off.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Think there's anybody the Dodgers would take for Juan Pierre?

The Dodgers and Dbacks have made trades before?

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Devilfan is right, this team is still awful offensively and the bullpen blows. Although Nady might take a paycut to play here, he just had a kid, is friends with Conor, and I think lives in San Diego. Not sure how interested the DBacks are.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
There is an article on AZcentral.com (and I believe in the AZ Republic too) which JB defends the trade..

I found the most telling point of the article was the complete disregard of Dan Schlereth... I really believe the Dbacks gave up on their 2007 first round pick, but holy smokes, to defend a trade and not even mention Dan, says "we screwed up with DS, but the reality is I didn't really believe in Scherezer, and Jackson/Kennedy are both solid pitcher for the here and now...

What I am annoyed with is the Dbacks are already all bt saying Jackson is a two year rental.... Why not take a wait and see approch aznd at the very least leave the door open,

And this is a question for those familiar with these kind of situations.. If he pitches well and has a sub 3.5 ERA in 200+ innings, will be be condiered a Grade 'A' F.A., and thus we would get 2 first round picks for him?

Hope so....

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is an article on AZcentral.com (and I believe in the AZ Republic too) which JB defends the trade..

I found the most telling point of the article was the complete disregard of Dan Schlereth... I really believe the Dbacks gave up on their 2007 first round pick, but holy smokes, to defend a trade and not even mention Dan, says "we screwed up with DS, but the reality is I didn't really believe in Scherezer, and Jackson/Kennedy are both solid pitcher for the here and now...

What I am annoyed with is the Dbacks are already all bt saying Jackson is a two year rental.... Why not take a wait and see approch aznd at the very least leave the door open,

And this is a question for those familiar with these kind of situations.. If he pitches well and has a sub 3.5 ERA in 200+ innings, will be be condiered a Grade 'A' F.A., and thus we would get 2 first round picks for him?

Hope so....

Dunn was a 2-month rental. At least they get two years from Jackson. If Webb is 100%, I would hope they try and sign him and not let him go after next season.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't know if any one cares but Gambo likes the trade.

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
this team is still awful offensively and the bullpen blows.

I don't think I'd agree with either statement. The offense may not have been spectacular last year, but they were missing their best hitter of the previous year, and many guys were having down years.

With Connor back, and Reynolds/Upton/Montero providing the first real heart of a lineup in a long time, I expect the offense to be at least average. I'd imagine that between Young/Drew, at least one of the two will have a much better year, and we're allegedly getting another bat as well.

I don't expect the bullpen to be lights out, but I have a feeling it'll be much better than last year. There are decent pieces down there, and the addition of another arm this offseason should help as well.

I'm pleased by the efforts of the FO to put together a winning team. If, (and its a big if) Webb is able to win at least 15, we should be one of the best teams in the NL.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I don't think I'd agree with either statement. The offense may not have been spectacular last year, but they were missing their best hitter of the previous year, and many guys were having down years.

With Connor back, and Reynolds/Upton/Montero providing the first real heart of a lineup in a long time, I expect the offense to be at least average. I'd imagine that between Young/Drew, at least one of the two will have a much better year, and we're allegedly getting another bat as well.

I don't expect the bullpen to be lights out, but I have a feeling it'll be much better than last year. There are decent pieces down there, and the addition of another arm this offseason should help as well.

I'm pleased by the efforts of the FO to put together a winning team. If, (and its a big if) Webb is able to win at least 15, we should be one of the best teams in the NL.

100% agreed

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

100% agreed with everything except your Screen name, Avatar, and Alma Mater. ;)

p27159

Reaction score
here's some of my thoughts:

1) I didn't like the trade because Scherzer probably has a higher ceiling than Jackson, not to mention he's CHEAP, which is important to us. I wasn't thinking about the injury risk possibility, though.

2) I agree with those that say that most teams have shaky bullpens in the middle. Middle relief is a dicey proposition. A guy has a "breakout" year with a small sample size (say 60 IP) and I'm not sure what to make of it. A lot of guys end up in MR because they aren't the top arms that make it as a SP or Closer. The Dbacks don't have lots of $ to spend, so they are going for "bang for the buck", which unfortunately, MR doesn't give them with the small # of IP compared to the contributions you can get elsewhere.

3) As I understand it, in a couple of years we'll be out from under a lot of deferred payments to guys like Williams, Bell, Johnson, and yes even Stottlemyre and Gilkey! This may free up money to have a chance to re-sign Jackson if he's successful here.

4) what about all the money we are "saving" by not paying Garland and Davis? I would have thought if payroll is going up slightly, and we aren't paying those two guys (what did they make combined, like $14 mil?), you'd think there was more money out there, even after $5 to Jackson.

5) I figure we're probably not signing a 2B. Not sure if Roberts is a long term answer, b/c usually guys at his age don't "break out", but his plate discipline was a good sign (he was about the only one on the team you can say that about). Abreu has the tools, so he's likely the frontrunner for this position.

6) The team had NO choice BUT to re-sign Webb and take the gamble. W/O Webb, they had NO shot to contend at all (where else would they get production anywhere near what a healthy Webb would give them for the money they have to spend?) Forget the PR nightmare of letting Webb go, it was their ONLY shot to be decent this year to cross their fingers and hope he at least turns out decent.

7) Yes, the offensive numbers look bad for the past 3 years, and yes, we may have lucked out in '07, but we do have a lot of potential talent in the lineup. It would help if they had a better approach and could do better situational hitting, but they really do have the potential to improve a LOT.

Dreadnought

Reaction score
here's some of my thoughts:

1) I didn't like the trade because Scherzer probably has a higher ceiling than Jackson, not to mention he's CHEAP, which is important to us. I wasn't thinking about the injury risk possibility, though.

2) I agree with those that say that most teams have shaky bullpens in the middle. Middle relief is a dicey proposition. A guy has a "breakout" year with a small sample size (say 60 IP) and I'm not sure what to make of it. A lot of guys end up in MR because they aren't the top arms that make it as a SP or Closer. The Dbacks don't have lots of $ to spend, so they are going for "bang for the buck", which unfortunately, MR doesn't give them with the small # of IP compared to the contributions you can get elsewhere.

3) As I understand it, in a couple of years we'll be out from under a lot of deferred payments to guys like Williams, Bell, Johnson, and yes even Stottlemyre and Gilkey! This may free up money to have a chance to re-sign Jackson if he's successful here.

4) what about all the money we are "saving" by not paying Garland and Davis? I would have thought if payroll is going up slightly, and we aren't paying those two guys (what did they make combined, like $14 mil?), you'd think there was more money out there, even after $5 to Jackson.

5) I figure we're probably not signing a 2B. Not sure if Roberts is a long term answer, b/c usually guys at his age don't "break out", but his plate discipline was a good sign (he was about the only one on the team you can say that about). Abreu has the tools, so he's likely the frontrunner for this position.

6) The team had NO choice BUT to re-sign Webb and take the gamble. W/O Webb, they had NO shot to contend at all (where else would they get production anywhere near what a healthy Webb would give them for the money they have to spend?) Forget the PR nightmare of letting Webb go, it was their ONLY shot to be decent this year to cross their fingers and hope he at least turns out decent.

7) Yes, the offensive numbers look bad for the past 3 years, and yes, we may have lucked out in '07, but we do have a lot of potential talent in the lineup. It would help if they had a better approach and could do better situational hitting, but they really do have the potential to improve a LOT.

# 1-6, I agree.

7? Totally.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05