D-backs vs Astros series thread

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The D-backs will experience a major altitude change going from mile-high Denver to 120-foot ASL Houston. Minute Maid Park is unique with its roof that retracts along with the entire windowed left-field side of the stadium (I've seen it in action), the left field train above the longball-inviting Crawford Boxes and of course, the centerfield berm. An old friend, Jose Valverde may be looking forward to getting back at his former team. Despite losing Ferdinand the Bull (Carlos Lee), the Astros have won their last eight games, giving them the same record as the D-backs. Can the Astros Express be derailed? The gratuitous complimentary pitching matchup previews, earlier than the D-backs can get outta Denver...

Friday - Webb vs. Rodriguez

Webb is on a wining streak of his own, being the victor in his last four starts while his ERA shrank back under 3.00. This will be the first time Webb has faced Houston this season. Webb has a lifetime record of 2-0 with a complete game and 1.21 ERA at Minute Maid Park. W-Rod's career, he usually had much better stats at home than on the road. That has evened out a bit in 2008. He has won four of his last six starts, but allowed six runs in each of the games that he did not win.

Saturday - Petit vs. Backe

Petit pitched well in his last start, allowing just two runs in five innings against Atlanta. He struck out a season-high six batters in that game, but earned his third loss thanks to a lack of run support and Tony Pena. Petit is 1-2 with an ERA of 3.00 as a starter. Backe (two syllables) is bouncing back after elbow surgery in 2007. The comeback has not been what everyone had hoped for, as he is 7-11 with a 5.14 ERA, inflated by a game two weeks ago where he allowed 11 runs to the Cubs in 3 innings. Backe has only faced the D-backs once, in 2006, getting battered for five runs and 12 hits in five innings.

Friday - Johnson vs. Oswalt

Former Astro Johnson will seek career win #295. He has pitched marvelously over his last seven starts, winning six of them with an ERA of 1.80. Earlier this season, Johnson was shelled for six runs in four innings, yet Arizona won the game. Oswalt has won his last four decisions. He has not gone longer then seven innings in any game in 2008, however, he has a history of success against Arizona, with a lifetime 6-1 with an ERA of 2.57.

This is all assuming the rotations don't get shuffled like they did this week!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once again, thanks for the lead-ins to each series.

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Well the Astros are due to lose a few games right lets hope it is this series. We obviously must win game 2 and 3 to stay ahead of the dodgers in the division. It would also be nice to see Dunn get hot this series we need him more than ever now. GO DBACKS BEAT THE ASTROS

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
You're welcome, Skkorp.

Sunday - The Astros will retire Craig Biggio's #7. Psychological boost for the 'stros?

In 2008, Dunn has hit 5 for 13 with 3 home runs, striking out twice at MMP. Two of those home runs came off tonight's pitcher, Wandy Rodriguez. :)
Webb does well against that team, tonight's game is probably the best chance for the D-backs to win.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
In 2008, Dunn has hit 5 for 13 with 3 home runs, striking out twice at MMP. Two of those home runs came off tonight's pitcher, Wandy Rodriguez. :).
Man, it couldn't have been scripted better for Adam. Hope a HR or two are a Dunn deal.

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
I also forgot to mention that Dunn, Snyder and Young have big ties to Houston and Texas, they should be inspired to succeed there this weekend.

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
why does Chris Young continually get thrown out at 3rd with 2 outs. Your going to score on a single buddy. try stealing second you piece of crap.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, so Reggie Abercrombie actually made the bigs. Good for him.

Edit: upon further inspection, he also played some in Florida. Forgot about that.

Last edited:

Black Jesus

No Talent Ass-Clown
Reaction score
haha just realized i am talking to myself looking at the active users using this thread.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
holy crap - 3 run HR by Burke!

I think most of us are eating crow this week. I don't recognize this team. Burke, Young and Snyder with homers and Tony Clark with three hits and two walks. By the way, Webb pitching another great game.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think most of us are eating crow this week. I don't recognize this team. Burke, Young and Snyder with homers and Tony Clark with three hits and two walks. By the way, Webb pitching another great game.

Happy to keep eating, if he keeps it up!

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, where did that batting patience come from? Nice game for us.

AZZenny

Reaction score
That's the frustratingest thing -- they DO have the ability to be patient. They were patient the first month or so when they were hitting well. They go through little patient spurts, sort of an oxymoron, but it's like they fall off the wagon and into that GD 'aggressive' mantra of you-know-who.

ArizonaSportsFan

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Unfortunately the Dodgers stay hot and the teams are still tied.

Hopefully Petit is on top of his game tomorrow and the offense stays sharp (although the numbers left on base tonight was still pretty high).

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
Of course, Burke was going to hit a home run THERE, he hit the arguably biggest home run in Astros franchise history. Playing him in familiar surroundings may have been a good idea. The D-backs should have scored at least 20 last night. It was cool seeing Snyder and CY hitting longballs with the family members in attendance. I don't know what CY was thinking trying to steal third with two out and Dunn batting. I guess he wanted to have a Willie Mays Hayes moment for the kin. No complaints about this game, just observations. :D

Poor left field bird. I must say it was amusing watching Wigginton react to it. He was keeping an eye on it like it was going to spring up and attack him.

Petit needs to get the same run support that Webb had last night!

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
yea what the hell happened to that bird? did randy toss outfield warm-up? or did tracy shoot him?

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man this is like a bad dream lol i'm glad the dbacks are winning but it would be nice if the dodgers could lose one game.... but nope they always have to find a way to come back :(

OP
OP
Desert Rat

Desert Rat

Veteran
Reaction score
The Dodgers are not helping the cause one bit. With Milwaukee in town, the lucky bastards miss facing Sabathia and Sheets! :mad:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dbacks05