Darren Urban Article on Jeff Blake

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
http://eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=4049

Arizona's new QB building rapport with teammates
By Darren Urban, Tribune

It was lunch — nothing fancy, just some barbecue from Honey Bears, with all the fixins’ — after an average offseason workout a few weeks ago.
But it was a gesture Jeff Blake thought was important; more than buying a meal for some of his new Arizona Cardinals’ teammates. It was about getting some of them to sit and talk even though it was months before training camp.

“He was saying he couldn’t believe it didn’t happen on a regular basis, lunch here with the guys,” running back Marcel Shipp said. “It was just work and leave. Jeff just wants the team to bond more and respond to each other.”
And most importantly, respond to him.

The Cardinals have their first mandatory workouts of the offseason starting today at their Tempe complex, the unveiling of an offense that has undergone serious changes. None are more drastic than the switch at quarterback from Jake Plummer to Blake.

Seizing the Cardinals as his team has been Blake’s goal since signing 50 days ago. Leadership, as Blake has learned during his 11 years in the NFL, takes work.

“I don’t want to just see these guys once in a while, bump into them and say, ‘What’s going on?’ You can’t build anything like that,” Blake said. “(Guys) want to know when I leave, when I am coming back, when I am going to be here, because they care.

“Then, when we go and play football, and I have to step on their toes a little bit, the response is not going to be, ‘Hey, man, who are you talking to?’ The response will be, ‘I got you, let’s go.’ ”

Blake’s career is checkered a little more than he would have preferred. He has had stops with the Jets, Bengals, Saints and Ravens. While he has started in his last three stops, he has also had the role of backup in all four places.

The only time his team has made the playoffs, in New Orleans, Blake was the starter until he suffered a broken foot. He has never played in the postseason.

The idea that Blake is somehow snakebit, however, brings him a chuckle.

“I look at it differently,” Blake said. “I look at it as I have stood the test of time. I’m not supposed to be here. Think of all the first-rounders that were supposed to be here.”

He wasn’t happy in Baltimore, where he was expected to re-sign and be the starter. But the Ravens offered him a three-year contract worth only $4.8 million, Blake said, including $1.8 million in guaranteed money in the first year. It was a pittance for a NFL starting quarterback.

So Blake decided to shop himself, even though the Ravens promised to pull their offer if he did. In the open market, he was stuck in line behind Kordell Stewart, a player the Cardinals and Bears wanted.

Blake’s visit to the Valley portrayed a man who not only wanted to come to Arizona but thought he could captain a winning product. Stewart, lukewarm toward the situation during his visit, did not exude the same conviction.

“Jeff made it clear he wanted to play for the Arizona Cardinals,” said vice president of football operations Rod Graves, who handed Blake a three-year, $7.5 million deal, including $3.5 million in the first year.

Blake has an edge about him, a confidence bordering on cocky. He announced during his original visit that it didn’t matter who his receivers were in Arizona because he could make one of them a star.

Already, he was laying the groundwork to endear himself to his teammates.
“You like to hear that,” receiver Bryan Gilmore said. “When you have a player like that, he understands names are just names. I can’t do anything about my name. (The confidence) transfers to us, because we didn’t have to worry about proving (to him) we can play the game.”

Ask Blake about replacing Plummer, and he says it means nothing to him. But he is quick to point out that, unlike many quarterbacks, he has never spent a season as a starter where he has thrown more interceptions than touchdowns. “That went on a long time around here,” Blake said, a reference to Plummer’s troubles with turnovers. Blake also wants to trump Plummer in another area — leadership off the field. That, Blake said, should mean more on the field.

“I came in to do what they paid me to do, and that is lead our team and win some games and get us in the playoffs,” Blake said. “I don’t care if I get to the Pro Bowl, I don’t care if they say Jeff Blake did it or not. As long as we get there.”

jtav10

Veteran
Reaction score
fantastic article and he is already taking that leadership role. looks like the young guys like what he is about and that is a hard worker whos had to earn his stripes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Wow. Another knock on Plummer.

I'm am really shocked at how poorly Plummer operated here. According to Jurecki, he almost never watched film, and now we know that he didn't build a strong rapport with the team. It sounds like, just like Jurecki and Lewis stated last year, that Plummer was not a leader on this team.

Mel Gray TD

Registered
Reaction score
I really like what Jeff Blake has to say in this article. Get the guys together and talk away from the field. All great teams do that off the field thing. Take those offensive lineman to dinner. Have those wide receivers over to the house for a cookout. Have the defensive guys do some things with you. This is what a great leader does. If Blake and Emitt do the right stuff, I think this team will be solid. Remember what happened to this team when Lomas Brown, Larry Centers, and Jamir Miller were let go? CHAOS!
You have got to have leaders that players will follow. Ronald McKinnon and KVB on the defensive side of the ball should be doing the same stuff as Jeff Blake on the offensive side of the ball. Team chemistry is one of the most important things you can have. While we are at it, ownership should join in on this. Pay for the players damned practice gear. Make sure that rookies have insurance so they can come and work out.

LETS GO KICK SOME BUTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup:

Dakota Red

Rookie
Reaction score
Blake

This is good stuff. This article and the one in the Repugnant have me real excited about Blake's presence here. I hope he, with the help of Emmit, can get this team to turn the corner and be competetive. (First Step) Next year playoffs!!!

WizardOfAz

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by Krangthebrain
Wow. Another knock on Plummer.

I'm am really shocked at how poorly Plummer operated here. According to Jurecki, he almost never watched film, and now we know that he didn't build a strong rapport with the team. It sounds like, just like Jurecki and Lewis stated last year, that Plummer was not a leader on this team.

I agree.

It is interesting how this stuff keeps coming out now. Suppose Shanahan will cover for him in Denver?

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I know Cbus is against the Blake signing because he isn;t a leader and is a lockerroom cancer but I don;t see that in this article one bit. Granted, it is a meatball article done to pump him up locally but I sense he will lead this team. If he didn't he wouldn't have done this lunch thing. It is plainly evident he is pumped for this chance and it sounds like Blake really wanted to be in AZ (of course so did Marcus).

Nice little zinger at the end towards Jake...sadly though it is true.

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by Mel Gray TD
While we are at it, ownership should join in on this. Pay for the players damned practice gear.

:biglaugh: