DBacks Claim Cirillo And BK Kim Off Waivers

HooverDam

Reaction score
I'm pissed about this - Kim has done really well for the marlins - doesn't even look like it's a waiver trade - just gave him up

so basically the marlins gave up petit to get julio, then shipped julio to get kim and then gave kim to the d'backs

so you end up getting petit & kim for julio - not bad

See Dbacks fans, some logic!

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Why? He has a batting average against of like .230, if he can get his walks down, he's quite good. Over the last 7 games, his ERA is 3.38, thats damned good. He's young, and could improve, plus, he's barely going to cost the team anything.

I don't see ANY reason to get upset about what is at worst a bad insurance plan, and at best, a pretty solid 4th or 5th starter.

Its an insurance policy, Randy is done for the year, every Dbacks starter but Webb has been inconsistent, he can be a good arm for long relief, he has a cheap, short contract. Whats not to get?

Insurance...fine. I do not believe he is any better than what the Dbacks have right now so I guess unless one of them gets hurt...

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think its cool that bk kim will get another shot with the dbacks after those world series games vs the yankes, I just find it kind of weaird that hes on the dbacks again. But he is a pretty good insurance guy since Randy Johnson got hurt hes probally better then any triple a pitcher you could bring up at this poin. I say good move by the dbacks

AZZenny

Reaction score
if he can get his walks down,
He's always walked a lot of guys, why on earth do you imagine that will change here? He's what he is, and he is not going to get better -- he's now been through 3 teams in the past 4 years. He's still a head case. His walks have steadily gone up, and his Ks down.

Oh, and that ERA of 3.38? Look again -- it's in the last seven days -- one game. In which he gave up 6 walks to ten Ks in 5.1 innings. His ERA in the last 7 GAMES is 5.02. That last game brought his ERA down to 4.68.

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
His name is Byung-Hyun Kim. I hate the BK Kim refrence. Who started that? I think it was Brenly or Traber. I use to bug me so much.

$10 says Grace refers to him as BK Kim.

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of these are solid moves. I had liked Cirillo since his days as a Rockie.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
His name is Byung-Hyun Kim. I hate the BK Kim refrence. Who started that? I think it was Brenly or Traber. I use to bug me so much.

$10 says Grace refers to him as BK Kim.

Yeah I never understood that either

PoolBoy

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
didnt read this whole thread cause the game's about to start,so sorry if you have said this, but cruz should be brought out of the bullpen as the number 5 starter if neccesary and bk should go to cruz's role

HooverDam

Reaction score
He's always walked a lot of guys, why on earth do you imagine that will change here? He's what he is, and he is not going to get better -- he's now been through 3 teams in the past 4 years. He's still a head case. His walks have steadily gone up, and his Ks down.

Oh, and that ERA of 3.38? Look again -- it's in the last seven days -- one game. In which he gave up 6 walks to ten Ks in 5.1 innings. His ERA in the last 7 GAMES is 5.02. That last game brought his ERA down to 4.68.

Ah, you're right on the numbers but still you don't really have a point. Whats the WORST thing that can happen due to this move? He stinks, then they let him go at the end of the year......so?

This is a no risk move, it can only have upside, there's no downside to it.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah, you're right on the numbers but still you don't really have a point. Whats the WORST thing that can happen due to this move? He stinks, then they let him go at the end of the year......so?

This is a no risk move, it can only have upside, there's no downside to it.

I love how Gambo described BK.. He said he's a mental midgit.. The only reason BK has been good for the past couple games is because the Marlins suck and there is no pressure to win.. But put pressure on BK and he will choke.. And I agree with Gambo.. BK sucks..

HooverDam

Reaction score
I love how Gambo described BK.. He said he's a mental midgit.. The only reason BK has been good for the past couple games is because the Marlins suck and there is no pressure to win.. But put pressure on BK and he will choke.. And I agree with Gambo.. BK sucks..

You going to make a point about why this is a bad move any time today? Please, what is the WORST thing that could happen by bringing in Kim? His awkward submarine motion ends up with a wild pitch into the Dbacks dugout that kills Brandon Webb perhaps? :p

Besides, anyone who's using "I agree with Gambo" as an argument may be on shaky ground.

OP
OP
Gee!

Gee!

BirdGang
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Besides, anyone who's using "I agree with Gambo" as an argument may be on shaky ground.

I also disagree with him on things too.. Doesnt mean he isnt right on some things.. He's entertaining to me.. No one should take anyone's word as gospel.. And no one should ever think someone is a nothing.. You may learn something sometime.. Keep an open mind..

SunsTzu

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Yeah I don't see how picking up guys for nothing could have a negative impact. They don't work out and you're no worse off than you were before you got them. They do work out then you got something for nothing.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brian Barden was designated for assignment and Randy Johnson was placed on the 60 day disabled list

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After 2001, I decided the D-Backs gave me something so great that they deserved a get-out-Cheese's-jail-free-pass, meaning I wouldn't begrudge anything else they did for the next five years. Since then, I've gone from a diehard fan (flew back from LA to Phoenix to attend every home game of the world series, putting myself in SERIOUS debbt to do so... though money as well spent as possible) to a fan that will every once in a while look at how they're doing, not getting too excited one way or the other and now that I'm really starting to get into the team again, they bring back the man responsible for the two worst sports moments in my life since Paxson for 3. Wow, going to that Dodgers game tomorrow no longer seems like a priority to me.

Kim should NEVER pitch in ANY pressure situation as long as he's on this roster and he shiould thank god every day we won that series otherwise someone in Phoenix (probably me) literally would have killed him.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I think these are a couple of solid moves for the Dbacks..

honestly whats the worst that can happend, if BK starts 2-3 games and sucks, guess what.. he's probably back on waviers or banished to the bullpen and used in special situations....

But if he proves to be a good 4-5 starter ( and lets be honest the past few starts for Petit and Owings for that matter) have been less then stellar to say the least... Why not give him a shot.....

Cierillo... seems to me like that was a "we have a bunch of young guys and were gearing up for the stretch run of a pentant race, we need more veterans around here" type of move.... I don't know how much PT (He has only played in 50 games this year).... but he is a veteran presense, that will do nothing but help our young guys... (especially someone like Drew/Reynolds/Jackson, young infielders who could use pointers for a quality Vet like Cierillo)...

I like these two pickups, they cost the Dbacks nothing, and both have a chance of helping the Dbacks in a late push for the post season...

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Don't forget Cirillo would be a lot better option to pinch hit over Davannon. Hopefully Davannon doesn't pick up a bat again this season and only comes off the bench to pinch run for Clark or something.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
I will no longer say BK Kim, ATM machine, PIN number or RAS syndrome. Henceforth, BHK he shall be.

As far as why we got him? Obviously it was to make people stop complaining about Valverde. :D

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
honestly whats the worst that can happend, if BK starts 2-3 games and sucks, guess what.. he's probably back on waviers or banished to the bullpen and used in special situations....

But if he proves to be a good 4-5 starter ( and lets be honest the past few starts for Petit and Owings for that matter) have been less then stellar to say the least... Why not give him a shot.....

actually, my biggest fear and worst case scenario is that he does do well enough to to prove to be a somewhat depended on pitcher and then once we get into the playoffs and he's called on, he'll completely meltdown, 2001 style. that's the worst case scenario. I just fear for any lead, if this team makes it the post-season and BK's brought in. Although, on the other hand, if he's a guy that we can't get to the post-season without, then it's moot anyway. i just don't see him as that guy though.

Joe Moore

Starting over
Reaction score
I think Bryan Price the pitching coach may be able to work with Kim. He's done good things for the rest of the staff.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
actually, my biggest fear and worst case scenario is that he does do well enough to to prove to be a somewhat depended on pitcher and then once we get into the playoffs and he's called on, he'll completely meltdown, 2001 style. that's the worst case scenario. I just fear for any lead, if this team makes it the post-season and BK's brought in. Although, on the other hand, if he's a guy that we can't get to the post-season without, then it's moot anyway. i just don't see him as that guy though.

Its a good point... although, I think I would rather have our young guys get a taste of the postseason this year, and have BK blow it, than have our guys miss the playoffs after beingb in a tight race basically the entire season....

Upton, Young, Jackson, Drew, Reynolds, I think if we did get the the postseason, any one of them could go off, and have a Carlos Beltron type Playoffs, IMO... Especially someone like Chris Young...

But I share your nightmares of BK.... My only hope... (perhaps Prayer) he has grown a bit, and can become a solid 5th starter, maybe winning 4-5 games the rest of the way, and helping us win the pennant...