D'backs "close" to deal for Danys Baez

spikecop02

Registered
Reaction score
Danys Baez is a all-star

Danys Baez will represent the Devil Rays in the 2005 All-Star Game.

"It's a great moment in my career," Baez said. "It's like a dream. It's great to know I'm going to be there representing our team among all the great players who go to the game year in and year out."

Through Sunday, the Rays closer had a 4-2 record with a 2.83 ERA and 13 saves in 29 games. He had converted his last six save opportunities.

"I was surprised," said Baez of his selection. "You never know who they're going to pick. "That was a [Terry] Francona decision that depended on what [the American League team] needed."

Baez said he could easily have seen left-fielder Carl Crawford or infielder Jorge Cantu being the Rays' choice.

"Cantu has done a good job," Baez said. "And Crawford has already had a lot of good years."

Because the Rays bullpen has been in a constant state of change during the season's first half, Baez has often been used in the eighth inning before pitching the ninth.

Eight of Baez's saves have been earned by working more than one inning, including seven of his last 10 saves. He leads the Major Leagues with 18 saves of more than one inning over the last two seasons.

"He's a solid pick," said Rays manager Lou Piniella. "Danys has done a nice job the two years he's been here. He's a competitor."

Baez picked up his 13th save on June 27 while preserving a 4-3 victory over the Blue Jays at Tropicana Field. It was Baez's 43rd save as a Devil Ray, moving him past Esteban Yan for second most in club history. Roberto Hernandez owns the franchise record with 101 saves.

Typifying the kind of work Baez does was his contribution in the Rays' recent series against the Yankees on June 20-23, when the team won three out of four games in the Bronx. Baez saved all three wins, pitching more than one inning in each outing to earn the saves.

Piniella said the saves have been tough to earn this season.

"Last year, we had a lot of three-run saves," Piniella said. "This year, we've had a lot of close games, games that are in the balance all the time."

Baez said he did not have make any last-minute changes to attend the game.

"I didn't really have any plans," Baez said. "I was thinking about going down to Miami to see my family."

http://tampabay.devilrays.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/mlb/events/all_star/y2005/index.jsp Baez got the news of the selection from Rays traveling secretary Jeff Ziegler, who informed him about travel arrangements and other matters relating to the game.

Baez plans on bringing his own contingent to Detroit.

"I want to bring my wife and daughter, and my mom and dad," Baez said.

Baez has allowed only 22.7 percent of inherited runners to score, good for ninth in the American League.

In 2004, Baez established a career high of 30 saves in 33 opportunities. The All-Star Game, to be held at Detroit's Comerica Park on Tuesday, July 12 at 8 p.m. ET, will be televised nationally by FOX Sports and televised around the world by Major League Baseball International. ESPN Radio will provide exclusive, national radio coverage, while MLB.com will provide extensive online coverage and MLB Radio will provide exclusive play-by-play coverage of the game on the Internet.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
Heard on the radio that the D'backs are going hard after Danys Baez from Tampa Bay and are close to a deal. Apparently the Devil Rays are asking for anyone of the following:

Sergio Santos
Conor Jackson
Carlos Quentin

Dear God...... No.

Trading ANY of these three for Danys Baez would be one of those profoundly awful trades that you look back on and vomit.

I'm all in favor of seeing the Diamondbacks upgrade their bullpen, but damn sure not at the expense of Quentin, Jackson or Santos.

Let's not get ripped off by Chuck LaMar for God's Sake.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How many save opportunities did the Dbacks have in June?

And of that measly few how many were blown?

This team needs a closer but they need so many other pieces that it doesn't make sense.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The D'back's have done it before, remember when they traded Penny and both Nunez's for Mantei. At the time those three were our top three prospects.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ASUCHRIS said:
If we mortgage any more of the future with the pipe dream of making the playoffs, I will be sick.
If we mortgage any more of the future? When has this management gotten rid of any piece of the future in the last few years?

AZZenny

Reaction score
I still rankle over Patterson for Choate so we could make room for Shane 'F' Reynolds on the roster - That was idiotic at the time, and even looks worse now. JPatt's 3.17 ERA, 2.24 K:BB ratio would put him ahead of Ortiz, Estes, Halsey, and Vargas. (And lest anyone think Joe is too smart to make a moronic trade, he signed Choate to a two year contract this spring, and then released him a month later. Now THAT's using the old Beane... Foresight is just not his strong suite. Nor is budget-awareness. Or, for that matter, pitching.) In addition, Capuano with his 3.38 ERA and 2:1 K:BB ratio would also look better than 3/5ths of the current DBacks rotation.

Admittedly, these trades didn't look as disturbing at the time as what is being talked about now, but they were poorly-thought-out short-term gain moves, and there have been many.

btw - it's not 'mortgaging' anything, because its not like you can pay it off and get the star prospect back. It is selling out or sacrificing the future. It may have made sense for the Suns this year, but it makes no sense for this DBacks team.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AZZenny said:
I still rankle over Patterson for Choate so we could make room for Shane 'F' Reynolds on the roster - That was idiotic at the time, and even looks worse now. JPatt's 3.17 ERA, 2.24 K:BB ratio would put him ahead of Ortiz, Estes, Halsey, and Vargas. (And lest anyone think Joe is too smart to make a moronic trade, he signed Choate to a two year contract this spring, and then released him a month later. Now THAT's using the old Beane... Foresight is just not his strong suite. Nor is budget-awareness. Or, for that matter, pitching.) In addition, Capuano with his 3.38 ERA and 2:1 K:BB ratio would also look better than 3/5ths of the current DBacks rotation.

Admittedly, these trades didn't look as disturbing at the time as what is being talked about now, but they were poorly-thought-out short-term gain moves, and there have been many.

btw - it's not 'mortgaging' anything, because its not like you can pay it off and get the star prospect back. It is selling out or sacrificing the future. It may have made sense for the Suns this year, but it makes no sense for this DBacks team.

Lets get real here, Capuano was never a big time prospect. He was ranked #22 in the Diamondbacks system by BA a couple years ago, so bringing his stats up is complete hindsight. Nobody really wrote him in as part of the Diamondbacks future.

As for Patterson, he wouldnt have made the team even if Reynolds wasnt signed. He has turned himself around fairly well, throwing his fastball about 10mph harder than in the Spring of 2004, and has added a nice breaking ball thanks to the help of Jose Rijo of the Nationals. He wouldnt have had that kind of success here.

AZZenny

Reaction score
Lets get real here, Capuano was never a big time prospect. He was ranked #22 in the Diamondbacks system by BA a couple years ago, so bringing his stats up is complete hindsight. Nobody really wrote him in as part of the Diamondbacks future.

Well actually, to respectfully disagree, I had Capuano pencilled in, the Minor League execs had him pencilled in, and reportedly, even Joe Jr. thought he was very likely a part of the future rotation. BA may not have, but (much as I appreciate them) they are not infallible. The Brewers reportedly made him the one requirement in the Sexson trade, so they thought highly of him.

I agree Patterson probably wouldn't have succeeded here - hmmm, do we need to just overhaul the entire staff of pitching coaches from Rookie ball up, or what?

Note, I didn't say these were examples of trading 'big time' prospects - but Patterson for something as inadequate as Choate was a complete waste, just like Hillenbrand for Adam Peterson. Jeez, get something in return.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, Garagiola's quotes in this article are a bit more reassuring that this kind of thing won't happen.

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=44374

"The names people are asking about are, we feel, going to be really good major league players for a long time," Garagiola said. "So, if you trade a player like that, you had better get somebody back that’s really good, not someone who makes you a little bit better."

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
If Joe Jr. can't see the writing on the wall with this team, he's dumber than I previously thought. The D-Back FO should be looking ahead to 2006, not foolishly trying to make a contender out of a mediocre ballclub.

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MaoTosiFanClub said:
If Joe Jr. can't see the writing on the wall with this team, he's dumber than I previously thought. The D-Back FO should be looking ahead to 2006, not foolishly trying to make a contender out of a mediocre ballclub.

Agreed - if we were stil 6-8 games over .500, that would be one thing - but .500 is going to be a hard-to-reach goal for this team.

AZZenny

Reaction score
To trade any half-way decent prospect for ANY closer as long as this team has Quentin McCracken on the bench - and Cruz and Clayton starting regularly - is putting lipstick on roadkill.

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
According to the Tribune, the D'backs have offered the same two players to the Pirates for Jose Mesa, Seattle for Eddie Guardado and to Tampa for Denys Baez

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Ryanwb said:
According to the Tribune, the D'backs have offered the same two players to the Pirates for Jose Mesa, Seattle for Eddie Guardado and to Tampa for Denys Baez

What two players?

OP
OP
R

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Baez = 27 years old
Guardado = 34 years old
Mesa = 39 years old

:eek: Joe Jr is delusional

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Reaction score
I would say stupid at this point. It's amazing, the guy is completely bulletproof. There have been plenty of fall guys throughout his term, including Buck and Brenly. Stupid move after stupid move, it's time to get someone new in there.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
EDIT - Never freaking mind about anything positive I said involving Guardado in Arizona even if we could keep him past this year. I knew he was a flyball pitcher, but I didn't realize he was that much of a flyball pitcher. Guy's got a career 0.58 groundball-to-flyball ratio which is fine in Seatte or Minnesota but will inevitably be a disaster in Arizona. Unfortunately our GM doesn't know what the stat is so expect Everyday Eddie in a D-Back uni pretty soon while Quentin joins Jeremy Reed and Ichiro as a part of one of the most talented outfields in the bigs.

Last edited: