Dbacks fire pitching staff

Chris_Sanders

Not Always The Best Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was certain Fetters was gone.

Tough on Strom because he is the reason that our young pitchers improved so much, his knowledge. He was the one who corrected Pfaadt last year with his mechanics and where he starts on the mound.

But the veteran pitches all had down years. It was really odd.

krazy2k

Veteran
Reaction score
Can Torrey fire himself? It's his questionable decisions with the rotation and bullpen that sunk the team.
He should simply resign for the good of the team. He is everyone's buddy, but that doesn't win championships. Mishandling and mismanaging the pitchers will certainly result in missed postseason opportunities - even if the offense is top of the league/majors. If the entire pitching staff was fired, Lovullo should go as well.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torrey won't go anywhere until the team starts finishing at the bottom of the division for a year or two... The guys seem to like him, too. Is what it is.

I am not even sure then. It will only happen if Hazen is going out as well and I doubt that happens in the next 5 years after the world series appearance AND him turning down mega money from the Red Sox.

82 is right, it is not even worth complaining about.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He should simply resign for the good of the team. He is everyone's buddy, but that doesn't win championships. Mishandling and mismanaging the pitchers will certainly result in missed postseason opportunities - even if the offense is top of the league/majors. If the entire pitching staff was fired, Lovullo should go as well.

Your complaint is really with Hazen. Hazen made it absolutely clear on 98.7 when doing their exit interviews.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Torrey makes some decisions that drive me crazy, but he certainly had a good feel for the team down the stretch of last year and for most of this season... but I have no explanation for what happened the last 5 weeks.

At the end of August he was probably the front runner for manager of the year. With all the injuries we'd had all over the roster and Carroll having a disaster of a season, us being only a few games back of the Dodgers and well up in the wild card was shocking. Equally shocking was the team totally falling apart right when we got (mostly) healthy.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
The continued attacks and rants about Torey are about as misguided and petty as any I’ve ever seen.
With 162 games and nearly 1,500 innings in a season, there is more than ample opportunity for a manager to make a move that will not sit well with some fans.
There has never been a manager that made it thru a complete season without incurring some degree of skepticism and second-guessing.
In the end, thru a ridiculous amount of challenge from injuries to every star on this team, historically awful first half’s from two critical bats in Carroll and Suarez, and two starting pitchers who never had the benefit of spring training (E-Rod and Monty), Torey increased the win-total from last year. Typically, 89 wins gets you into the post season…
The World Series champs from last year didn’t even win 80 games.
I’m on a plane right now and don’t have the ability to look this up, but I don’t believe there have been many teams that played in a World Series and then the following season increase its win-total.

All the while, Torey has earned and retained the love & respect from his team, something many other managers can’t claim.

And yet, some of you want that guy gone…
I’m done defending Torey as I’m simply pissing in the wind here.
Torey will be here for a while - as he should be, and I’m psyched to see what he will do with a team that will hopefully be much healthier and put-together at the start of next season!

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe there have been many teams that played in a World Series and then the following season increase its win-total.

It's shockingly common in the wild card era. The pandemic doesn't give us good data though on 2019 or 2020 but outside of that it is every year.

2017 World Series Astros / Dodgers

Astros 2017 - 2018 increased their win total by 2

2018 Red Sox / Dodgers

Dodgers 2018-2019 increased their win total by 14

2021 World Series Astros / Braves

Astros 2021 - 2022 increased their win total by 11
Braves 2021- 2022 increased their win total by 13

2022 World Series Astros / Phillies

Phillies 2022 - 2023 increased their win total by 3

2023 Dbacks / Rangers

Dbacks increased their win total by 5

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's shockingly common in the wild card era. The pandemic doesn't give us good data though on 2019 or 2020 but outside of that it is every year.

2018 Red Sox / Dodgers

2023 Dbacks / Rangers

How many of those teams fired their managers or had managers "on the hot seat" after increasing their win totals? :shrug:

Bickley and Marotta joked this morning about how soon April would be here and so would fans calling for Torey to lose his job.

Chris_Sanders

Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of those teams fired their managers or had managers "on the hot seat" after increasing their win totals? :shrug:

Bickley and Marotta joked this morning about how soon April would be here and so would fans calling for Torey to lose his job.

That is a pretty anecdotal question but off the top of my head, Dave Roberts is always on the hot seat.

OP
OP
Dback Jon

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I view Torey like Buck - capable of getting the team into a good position, but never over the hump due to dumb decisions.

Just like Monty for the Suns

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score

2018 Red Sox / Dodgers

2023 Dbacks / Rangers

Could be wrong, but all of those teams you noted as increasing their win totals, had payrolls slightly to significantly higher than the Dbacks.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
That is a pretty anecdotal question but off the top of my head, Dave Roberts is always on the hot seat.
Any manager or head coach who isn’t in year 1 or 2 of a contract, can be considered on the “hot seat.” It’s the nature of professional sports… It’s wrong in my opinion as in many instances, the wins and losses have far more to do with team talent level and player performance, or lack thereof.