Dbacks given 72 hour window, these are the players involved in Johnson trade

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
So they basically get RJ back for 2 years at 21 million (5 million coming from NY; 2 million for this trade and 3 million as part of the original RJ deal). With the market the way it is and not likely to cool down next winter with pitchers like Carlos Zambrano and Jake Westbrook even with his age/health concerns you wouldn't find a better option via free agency.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
This is a breakdown of the salary from another board:
"B. O. N. D. wrote:
So... let's see if I got this right:

ARI pays RJ $3.5M (part of his $12M signing bonus) + $4M (salary) in 2007, minus the $2M the NYY sent in the deal = $5.5M in 2007!!!

In 2008 RJ gets $500K (bonus) + $10M salary = $10.5M

In 2009 and 2010 he gets $4M (bonus) per + deferment payments?

Josh scored RJ 2007/8 for peanuts and so-so prospects. Granted he's still owed $40M, but he left alot of flexibility for 2007 and 2008 to compete."

Overall I think Byrnes did quite well with this deal.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
"B. O. N. D. wrote:

ARI pays RJ $3.5M (part of his $12M signing bonus) + $4M (salary) in 2007, minus the $2M the NYY sent in the deal = $5.5M in 2007!!!

Josh scored RJ 2007/8 for peanuts and so-so prospects. Granted he's still owed $40M, but he left alot of flexibility for 2007 and 2008 to compete."

The money was the issue all along. The Dbacks made this deal for financial reasons more than anything else. As a fan I never have much patience when teams get themselves into money troubles but you can't really blame the current management.

Everybody says the team buried itself to win a ring but I seem to recall the Dbacks signing RJ to this ugly deal with all the deferments after the 2001 season.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
The money was the issue all along. The Dbacks made this deal for financial reasons more than anything else. As a fan I never have much patience when teams get themselves into money troubles but you can't really blame the current management.

Everybody says the team buried itself to win a ring but I seem to recall the Dbacks signing RJ to this ugly deal with all the deferments after the 2001 season.

How was this a "money issue" all along? They wind up spending much more money now then they would have if they didn't make the trade. I don't think that brining Randy back is going to make them that much more money at the gate. The only way this was a money deal is if they realized the only way to make money is to put a winning and productive team on the field. None of the guys they traded would be making big money probably ever with this organization.

OP
OP
A

asuhoopsnut

Registered
Reaction score
"B. O. N. D. wrote:

If you deduct Luis Vizcaino's salary of 1.7 million for 2007, they have only
increased their salary total by 3.8 million for this coming season. Since they said that they were 10 million dollars under budget before the Johnson trade,the Diamondbacks would still have 6.2 million to spend for 2007. Could there be a deal for a closer on the horizon?

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"B. O. N. D. wrote:

I'm not sure the line about only paying $5.5M this year is accurate. If this was the case, then the team wouldn't have pushed so much money over to the next year of the deal.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I'm not sure the line about only paying $5.5M this year is accurate. If this was the case, then the team wouldn't have pushed so much money over to the next year of the deal.

Why not? They probably want to add more pieces to this years team and figure they couldn't if took all the salary on this year. Next year their payroll was suppose to increase plus Livan and possibly Davis, if they don't resign him, are off the books making it easier to absorb $10.5M next year without hurting the overall performance of the club.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why not? They probably want to add more pieces to this years team and figure they couldn't if took all the salary on this year. Next year their payroll was suppose to increase plus Livan and possibly Davis, if they don't resign him, are off the books making it easier to absorb $10.5M next year without hurting the overall performance of the club.
Earlier sources had the salary more evenly split between the two years, but according to a couple other places it looks like that breakdown is accurate.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
How was this a "money issue" all along? They wind up spending much more money now then they would have if they didn't make the trade. I don't think that brining Randy back is going to make them that much more money at the gate. The only way this was a money deal is if they realized the only way to make money is to put a winning and productive team on the field. None of the guys they traded would be making big money probably ever with this organization.

I meant in getting the deal done. The Dbacks were more interested in getting the money right than anything else. If they had just taken RJ's salary as is the deal would have been done days ago.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
From SI:

His new deal calls for a $12 million signing bonus, of which $3.5 million is payable this year, $500,000 in 2008 and $4 million each in 2009 and 2010, a baseball official with knowledge of the negotiations told The Associated Press, speaking on condition of anonymity because the terms weren't disclosed in Sunday's announcement. Johnson gets salaries of $4 million this year and $10 million in 2008.
As part of the trade, New York would pay $2 million of Johnson's salary this year. That means Arizona would be responsible for $24 million: $5.5 million this year, $10.5 million in 2008 and $4 million each in 2009 and 2010.
In addition, the Diamondbacks owe the five-time Cy Young Award winner just over $44 million, including accrued interest, from 2007-12. That money was earned by Johnson when he pitched for Arizona from 1999-2004, winning four Cy Youngs.

I don't see how anybody can call this peanuts but they do get RJ now and stay within their iron clad budget.

In 2010 he'll be 47?

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
I don't see how anybody can call this peanuts but they do get RJ now and stay within their iron clad budget.

In 2010 he'll be 47?

The thing is they were going to have to pay him through 2012 anyways on the deferred payments from the original contracts so what is another $10M on top of that especially seeing as they will have almost everything other than him paid off?

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
D-Backs to announce deal for Johnson Tuesday
PHOENIX -- Randy Johnson passed his physical Monday, and the Arizona Diamondbacks scheduled a Tuesday news conference to introduce him, according to ESPN's Steve Phillips.

The physical completes the trade that sends the Big Unit from the New York Yankees to the Diamondbacks.

The Big Unit's best years were in Arizona, where he was 103-49 in six seasons and won four Cy Young Awards before going to the Yankees in a trade he sought in 2005.

After two difficult seasons in New York, Johnson returns to the Diamondbacks with a two-year, $26 million contract. The 43-year-old left-hander, who is waiving his no-trade clause, is being acquired for right-handed reliever Luis Vizcaino and minor league right-handers Ross Ohlendorf and Steven Jackson, and shortstop Alberto Gonzalez.

New York also agreed to pay $2 million of Johnson's salary this year. Because of the cash involved, the deal is subject to approval by commissioner Bud Selig.

Although the Diamondbacks made no comment on the physical, the team scheduled a 3 p.m. ET news conference in the home clubhouse at Chase Field. The news conference didn't mention Johnson by name, but Arizona already had confirmed agreements in principal with the Yankees last Thursday and with Johnson on Sunday, so the subject was clear.

At a news conference Monday in Yankee Stadium, new Yankees pitcher Kei Igawa said he felt "a great sadness" about the prospect of not being Johnson's teammate, but no added pressure because of the left-hander's impending departure.

"Regardless of who's here, there's going to be questions in our rotation," Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said. "They're fair questions."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2724800

Good deal for Byrnes and the Dbacks

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I was not a fan of keeping Gonzo but this deal is a slap in Gonzo's face. The Diamondbacks tell Gonzo they are going young and they then trade for Randy and sign him to an extension.

Stan C

Veteran
Reaction score
Good Point, Zona.
Also, how do many of you think our bullpen will shape up this year?
I sent Santa a letter for a closer and a big bat, hope I don't have to wait until next Christmas.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I was not a fan of keeping Gonzo but this deal is a slap in Gonzo's face. The Diamondbacks tell Gonzo they are going young and they then trade for Randy and sign him to an extension.

Randy could be a lot more useful then Gonzo would have been. Serviceable LFers grow on trees. Left handed pitchers do not.

This is not a slap in Gonzo's face. The team had no use for him anymore.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Randy could be a lot more useful then Gonzo would have been. Serviceable LFers grow on trees. Left handed pitchers do not.

Exactly. The Diamondbacks didn't have any dominant left handed pitchers in the minors being held back by an aging fan favorite who couldn't do his job. This was a trade made for a need. The team needed another proven starter for the rotation and they got him. He just happened to be the Big Unit. Let Gonzo take it as a slap in the face, I for one could care what he thinks about it. Dodgers fans can enjoy his inability to throw the ball in from left field and he can complain all he wants in LA.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Exactly. The Diamondbacks didn't have any dominant left handed pitchers in the minors being held back by an aging fan favorite who couldn't do his job. This was a trade made for a need. The team needed another proven starter for the rotation and they got him. He just happened to be the Big Unit. Let Gonzo take it as a slap in the face, I for one could care what he thinks about it. Dodgers fans can enjoy his inability to throw the ball in from left field and he can complain all he wants in LA.

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y! :thumbup:

Gonzo was expendable with our OF prospects and turning his ridiculous option down was the only thing to do.

We have no pitching prospects ready to contribute to our staff (at least top-3 of the rotation worthy). Add to that the insane market this offseason and this was a logical trade. If Gonzo has a problem with it then WHAAA

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

This has nothing to do with who is more useful. Gonzo was told they Diamondbacks are going with the youth movement and they sign Randy, who is coming off back surgery, to an extension. I am glad Randy is here but he will be a Diamondback when he is 45. To me that is a slap in the face. Just put yourself in Gonzo's shoes for a minute and tell me how you would feel? I would be pissed.

Like I said before, I am glad they did not sign Gonzo but if you look at last year, Gonzo was better than Randy. Randy is a freak of nature but who knows how long his back will stand up. I don't know all the details of his contract but I hope they it's not guaranteed for all three years.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with who is more useful. Gonzo was told they Diamondbacks are going with the youth movement and they sign Randy, who is coming off back surgery, to an extension. I am glad Randy is here but he will be a Diamondback when he is 45. To me that is a slap in the face. Just put yourself in Gonzo's shoes for a minute and tell me how you would feel? I would be pissed.

Like I said before, I am glad they did not sign Gonzo but if you look at last year, Gonzo was better than Randy. Randy is a freak of nature but who knows how long his back will stand up. I don't know all the details of his contract but I hope they it's not guaranteed for all three years.
If I were in Gonzo's shoes I would be happy that someone was dumb enough to pay me $7.3M to play a position that I can't physically play anymore in a ball park where I'm going to prove to be a huge defensive liability. Randy is better for the Diamondbacks than Lois Gonzalez , Yes Lois.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Good Point, Zona.
Also, how do many of you think our bullpen will shape up this year?
I sent Santa a letter for a closer and a big bat, hope I don't have to wait until next Christmas.

You must have been on the naughty list.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score

So because the Dbacks traded for an old pitcher the youth movement is abandoned? Which top young prospect is Randy going to be blocking? That's the difference right there. Keeping Gonzo would have stunted the growth of some youngsters that can play the position at least as well as he can at this point in his career.

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Just because we're on a "youth movement" doesn't mean every one of our players has to be 25 years old or younger. The NYY made RJ available and it was the best option for Byrnes and the Dbacks. Byrnes inquired about several other pitchers but they would have all cost us prized prospects (Harden, Haren, Westbrook).

Also, his player option was ridiculous. The Yankess would have declined it as well if in the same position

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So because the Dbacks traded for an old pitcher the youth movement is abandoned? Which top young prospect is Randy going to be blocking? That's the difference right there. Keeping Gonzo would have stunted the growth of some youngsters that can play the position at least as well as he can at this point in his career.

I guess you don't see what I'm seeing. This has nothing to do with stopping the young guys from playing. Gonzo wanted to stay and be a Diamondback, which we knew was not going to happen, but the D'Backs then trade for Randy, a guy who wanted out of Arizona, and signed him to an extension. To me, if I was Gonzo, that is a slap in the face.

Gonzo, unlike Randy and Curt, did not want to leave when the team became mediocre. He stuck with it through the bad times and you have to give him credit for that. If the Diamondbacks had traded for a guy like Harden, then of course I would not see that trade being a slap in the Gonzo's face.

Sorry about this ranting, but that is how I see it. I know there are those who will see it differently and that is fine. Hopefully we can all agree that the Diamondbacks have a shot at winning the NL West in 2007.:thumbup:

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
I guess you don't see what I'm seeing. This has nothing to do with stopping the young guys from playing. Gonzo wanted to stay and be a Diamondback, which we knew was not going to happen, but the D'Backs then trade for Randy, a guy who wanted out of Arizona, and signed him to an extension. To me, if I was Gonzo, that is a slap in the face.

Gonzo, unlike Randy and Curt, did not want to leave when the team became mediocre. He stuck with it through the bad times and you have to give him credit for that. If the Diamondbacks had traded for a guy like Harden, then of course I would not see that trade being a slap in the Gonzo's face.

Sorry about this ranting, but that is how I see it. I know there are those who will see it differently and that is fine. Hopefully we can all agree that the Diamondbacks have a shot at winning the NL West in 2007.:thumbup:

I'm sure if Gonzo was willing to stick around for about 2 million a year and be the 4th outfielder the team would have gone with that.

Gonzo wanted to play every day and get paid well to do so more then he wanted to stay here.

Gonzo is gone, and it's a good thing too. Go Dbacks.