Dbacks given 72 hour window, these are the players involved in Johnson trade

Nasser22

Sec. 32: Go Devils!
Reaction score
Not a bad trade but better than I expected. I'd hate to pay a guy so much though when he is way past his prime. I don't expect any better than a 4.50 ERA from RJ and 24 mil. over 2 years is definitely not worth that unless people buy a lot of Randy Johnson jerseys and come to the games and it ends up helping the team financially in the end.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I don't expect any better than a 4.50 ERA from RJ and 24 mil.
Unfortunately, a 4.50 ERA is not considered bad for most pitchers.

The problem is the D'backs lack of a cleanup hitter, to help turn giving up an earned run every two innings into a victory.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
We need to turn Chad Tracy / Conor Jackson into a power hitter either by magic or trade, that's the D'backs management's decision

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We need to turn Chad Tracy / Conor Jackson into a power hitter either by magic or trade, that's the D'backs management's decision

They can always hang out with Barry Bonds for a few months.

Diamondback Jay

Psalms 23:1
Reaction score
I suppose you would've been thrilled if the team had lost sanity like the rest of baseball and dropped $45 million on a Gil Meche or Jeff Suppan. Sometimes the best moves are the ones you don't make.

Or $126 million on Barry Zito, who's on the downside of his career.

I like the deal. I was vehinimately against it if Owings was involved, and wasn't too crazy about trading Nippert, but this one I have no issues with. I like Ohlendorf, but he was better suited for middle relief anyhow.

Good deal for Byrnes.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Overall seems like a good deal. This team needs the young guys to pick up the offensive slack and then need to figure out who the closer is. On another board it was pointed out also that if you could trade EB and get him off the books that the team would be right back on track financially.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
Greg, is that the same board that thinks this team would be better off long term with Hairston? I don't disagree with those sentiments, just wondering if we're thinking of the same place.

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Greg, is that the same board that thinks this team would be better off long term with Hairston? I don't disagree with those sentiments, just wondering if we're thinking of the same place.
It is. I am not a EB fan Jay. I think that he is a David Dellucci. He is a guy who makes the easy look extraordinary. He isn't that good and his offense last season was more the exception than the rule.

Diamondback Jay

Reaction score
It is. I am not a EB fan Jay. I think that he is a David Dellucci. He is a guy who makes the easy look extraordinary. He isn't that good and his offense last season was more the exception than the rule.

Good assessment.. He's very inconsistent, and never has two good seasons in a row. I think they can get the same production from Hairston, if not more, with more consistency if he's only given a shot. For some reason, Arizona doesn't seem willing to give him one though.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You know its funny, I read somewhere that Owings and Nippert aren't even our best pitching prospect. Greg Smith is considered ahead of them (SI, I believe reported it) and the Yankees never thought about asking for him.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
A source told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark the unidentified minor league pitcher was Steven Jackson.

Very nice! If you minor league experts aren't upset about losing this guy then I'm happy with the trade. Now we can buy all those #45 jerseys like that one internet article said. :D

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
They just played a clip of Randy Johnson talking about going to the Dbacks. Has he already addressed the media about the trade (it may have been a clip from the first trade)? Since it hasn't been completed, I would find it hard to believe that he's addressed the NY media. Who knows, no big deal either way but I'd like to hear what he has to say

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This from ESPN.
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/colum...ch_bob&id=2721076&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab5pos2

The Unit, cold and aloof from the first day, never fit in with the Yankees, spending most of his time at his locker with his back to his teammates. There was no emotional investment on either side; even the fans sensed Johnson was just passing through on his way to Cooperstown. Maybe it was Johnson's way of acting tough in a big market, or maybe it was his frustration at the stunning number of fastballs he threw over the middle of the plate, and the sliders that were usually flat.

Whatever the reason, Johnson was unhappy enough to look daggers at Johnny Damon last August when the outfielder tried to rally the slumping Yankees. In the middle of the clubhouse, Damon shouted to the whole team, "Come on, you [expletive]. Wake up!" From across the room, Johnson stared coldly, so unnerving Damon that he later asked a club official, "Did I do something wrong?"

The Yankees obviously haven't publicly indicted Johnson in their efforts to trade him, but it's clear no one will miss him. One employee said, "Randy was the kind of guy who, if you asked him, 'How's it going?' he'd stare you down and say, 'What do you mean by that?' He was the most socially awkward person I ever met around here."

Of course, Johnson's eventual departure will create a set of short-term problems, but for now, the Yankees are happily looking forward to a change in climate.

The clubhouse is about to get a whole lot warmer.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
The Yankees obviously haven't publicly indicted Johnson in their efforts to trade him, but it's clear no one will miss him. One employee said, "Randy was the kind of guy who, if you asked him, 'How's it going?' he'd stare you down and say, 'What do you mean by that?' He was the most socially awkward person I ever met around here."

Johnson has always been an a-hole, we just tolerated it because of how productive he was here.

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Johnson has always been an a-hole, we just tolerated it because of how productive he was here.

But that was with a veteran team. I wonder how he will get along with a young squad? I'm sure Chip Hale will keep him in line, along with Kirk Gibson.:)

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
FSN's Daryn Perry is saying that the Yankees got the better of the deal by a wide margin. Prospects a good reliever and clearing 14 million in salary does sound like a successful deal. Hopefully Randy can make him eat his words.

Diawsome

Registered
Reaction score
Now that it is "final" hopefully this means the departure of one Eric Byrnes opening up LF for Hairston.

Zeno

Ancient
Reaction score
FSN's Daryn Perry is saying that the Yankees got the better of the deal by a wide margin. Prospects a good reliever and clearing 14 million in salary does sound like a successful deal. Hopefully Randy can make him eat his words.

I have to agree with him. Randy is a has been and we are giving up prospects(albeit mid-tier prospects) and taking on his stupid salary.

I'll eat my words if his ERA is under 4 this year and he gets wins in the teens. I also fully expect him to spend a decent amount of time on the DL.