DBacks Hire Mel Stottlemyre

The Commish

youknowhatimsayin?
Reaction score
Diamondbacks hire Stottlemyre

Nick Piecoro
The Arizona Republic
Feb. 5, 2007

The Diamondbacks added a highly regarded pitching coach to the organization today by hiring Mel Stottlemyre as a special assignment instructor.

Stottlemyre, 66, will be with the Diamondbacks during spring training and will likely spend a good portion of the regular season in player development.

“We view him as a real resource for players and coaches,” Diamondbacks General Manager Josh Byrnes said. “(Pitching coach) Bryan (Price) welcomes having someone like Mel to bounce ideas off of. I’m sure the minor league staff will feel the same way.”

Byrnes said Stottlemyre also could be with the big league team for “series or two or three,” and could be dispatched as a scout.

Stottlemyre had several connections to the Diamondbacks, including his sons Todd and Mel Jr. Todd pitched for the Diamondbacks from 1999 to 2002 and Mel Jr. is the organization’s minor league pitching coordinator.

Byrnes said Stottlemyre also knows manager Bob Melvin and Price well, and that the club looked into hiring him before last season.

But Stottlemyre opted to spend another year with the New York Yankees, for whom he served as pitching coach from 1996-2005. if(ScriptsLoaded) stInit();

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbacks/articles/0205stottlemyre.html

Dback Jon

Killer Snail
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent!!

Hopefully, we can get more out of him that his son.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
Tremendous hire by the D-backs... Hopefully it will be enough to counter their idiocy in bringing back RJ!

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Just playing devil's advocate here, but can we name some pitchers that Stottlemyre helped develop?

I would be more impressed with Leo Mazzone

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Just playing devil's advocate here, but can we name some pitchers that Stottlemyre helped develop?

I would be more impressed with Leo Mazzone

Andy Pettite...I think he's also had pretty good success with resurecting and prolonging careers of older starters like Gooden, Musina, and another guy who's name is escaping me (also pitched for the Mets and Blue Jays...had at least one no-hitter).

Espo

Lets Go Suns
Reaction score
Andy Pettite...I think he's also had pretty good success with resurecting and prolonging careers of older starters like Gooden, Musina, and another guy who's name is escaping me (also pitched for the Mets and Blue Jays...had at least one no-hitter).

Is David Cone the guy you are looking for?

shoewizard

Reaction score
Last edited:

devilfan02

Registered
Reaction score
Not many positive reviews from Yankee fans

Once again, it's simply a case of Yankee fans being Yankee fans. Their always great when their in pinstripes but once they leave their garbage. Makes me laugh everytime.

Mel and Steinbrenner have been at each others throats for years, the move was inevitable.

Stallion

Cats, Cards, Bax, Suns
Reaction score
The azcentral.com headline is "D-Backs add Stottlemyre" and I have to admit my first thought was Todd and my reaction was, "Do we still owe him a ton of money too?"

Welcome, Mel. :D