Defense better or Rams just beat up

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
Both can be possible. Yes, the Rams were indeed beat up but that certainly hasn't stopped teams in the past from embarrassing the Cards defense. Happened too many times to count.

The Cards played excellent on defense. The stop in the RZ right before half was key. Could have been a different game if Rams got within 2 scores at half. Especially considering how disastrous the first 30 min had been for them

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Rams OL today was missing two of their top 3 tackles and their best IOL. Imagine if we were playing without Paris, Beachum and Hernandez. I view this game as a preview of what our defense would look like with an elite pass rusher. I don't expect us to get more than 2 sacks in a game with regularity.

Last edited:

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Played better because the pass rush took advantage of a banged up Oline. But they did & deserve credit.

My bigger concern right now going into week 3 is our DBs still don’t get their hands on passes and I’m not talking about interceptions, I’m talking passes defensed. Last season we were last in the NFL, last week I believe we had 2 & this week only 1. To me it’s almost unheard of. It’s got to be scheme with so many open, easy throws. Obviously JG & Rollis prefer soft zone & fewer big chunks.

Really puzzling to me, considering JG’s supposed DB background & specialty.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Was better to me, I mean lambs had more carries then yards most the game

BritCard

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Easy to say "They didn't have Nakua" but they didn't have Nakua most of last week either and still scored on the Lions. Still ran on the Lions.

Defense was great today, especially vs the run. Rams had 53 rushing yards in a game they intended to rush a lot. Kyren Williams had 2.1 YPC.

Budda should always be in the box.

GeorgiaCard88

Veteran
Reaction score
The quick strikes early in the game giving us a large lead set the tempo for the game. The rams were forced to abandon the run and let the cards defense attack a weak pass protection and take advantage of it. Stafford had little time and without his two main offensive weapons (Kupp and nacua), didn’t stand a chance.

Not to take one away from the cards- it’s hard to beat an nfl team even if injured, let alone stomp all over one. Dominant performance by a strong team over a weak one yesterday

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
When a player like Gardeck is owning your LT you know you have Oline problems. Gardeck is not exactly a elite pass rusher. Also don't think for one minute that Detroit is not going to look at this game film and come up with ways to counteract how Rallis used Baker. The Detroit Oline is much better what the Rams put out there yesterday.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Played better because the pass rush took advantage of a banged up Oline. But they did & deserve credit.

My bigger concern right now going into week 3 is our DBs still don’t get their hands on passes and I’m not talking about interceptions, I’m talking passes defensed. Last season we were last in the NFL, last week I believe we had 2 & this week only 1. To me it’s almost unheard of. It’s got to be scheme with so many open, easy throws. Obviously JG & Rollis prefer soft zone & fewer big chunks.

Really puzzling to me, considering JG’s supposed DB background & specialty.
We have played two games against two HOF caliber QB’s. Ball placement is excellent with both. That might explain the difficulty in getting deflections to some extent.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
When a player like Gardeck is owning your LT you know you have Oline problems. Gardeck is not exactly a elite pass rusher. Also don't think for one minute that Detroit is not going to look at this game film and come up with ways to counteract how Rallis used Baker. The Detroit Oline is much better what the Rams put out there yesterday.
After the way Dan Campbell screwed the pouch on Sunday, anything is possible. Detroit lost a very winnable game because of Campbell IMO.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A lot of things contributed to the Defense playing better this game:

* Rams starting a LT who doesn't belong in the NFL
* The Rams OL being a complete MASH Unit
* Rams losing their two Star WRs to injury
* Stafford being a statue of a QB playing behind a porous OL
* Cardinals D getting support from the home crowd noise

Those first four bullets the Cardinals had no control over. It was their job to take advantage of those weaknesses and they did. It would have been very concerning if the Cardinals D struggled against an inferior OL.

So what does that success mean for the Cardinals Defense moving forward and onto the Lions game. Probably nothing. Next week the Cardinals will be going from playing against one of the worst OLs they will face to one of the best if not the best. I expect to see a Cardinals defense next week that will struggle to get pressure on Goff and probably get gashed in the running game. The Cardinals will not be facing a bunch of no name OL who were just picked up off the street next week. They will be going against some of the best which includes Penei Sewell and Frank Ragnow.

BirdGangThing

Casual Fan
Reaction score
love gardeck but he w
i still think jj watt was the best thing ever to happen to gardeck - he learned a lot of those techniques

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the soft zone defense, but I think JG is doing it because of the talent issue.

Doesn't want to get beat deep because QB has a lot of time in the pocket. And maybe even slightly because of our DBs inexperience.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunchaser